Speed channel

I just got an e-mail from NPS that the "Speed Channel" has been moved to
their "Absolute Digital" package.

It seems to me this is happening more and more and I really don't like it.
The "Absolute Digital" package goes against every reason I have a big dish.
The "Absolute Digital" package is a large collection of many different
channels with a high monthly price. If you are going to have that, you may
as well use a small dish.

The whole reason I want a big dish is for "Ala Carte" programming. I don't
want a ton of channels with a high monthly fee like cable and the small dish
require. Is this an effort to sink the big dish? To slowly move all of the
channels to the one big package at a high cost?

As an example, I want the "Discovery Health Channel". Now, even though I
have a big dish, I cannot simply subscribe to this one channel. Instead, it
is part of the "Absolute Digital" package that requires the purchase of 40
or so other channels! I don't want to pay for all of these channels when I
just want one!

Greg O.
12 answers Last reply
More about speed channel
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I don't think NPS's Absolute Digital pak price of $128/12 hardly qualifies
    as a high monthly price!
    "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I just got an e-mail from NPS that the "Speed Channel" has been moved to
    >their "Absolute Digital" package.
    >
    > It seems to me this is happening more and more and I really don't like it.
    > The "Absolute Digital" package goes against every reason I have a big
    > dish. The "Absolute Digital" package is a large collection of many
    > different channels with a high monthly price. If you are going to have
    > that, you may as well use a small dish.
    >
    > The whole reason I want a big dish is for "Ala Carte" programming. I
    > don't want a ton of channels with a high monthly fee like cable and the
    > small dish require. Is this an effort to sink the big dish? To slowly
    > move all of the channels to the one big package at a high cost?
    >
    > As an example, I want the "Discovery Health Channel". Now, even though I
    > have a big dish, I cannot simply subscribe to this one channel. Instead,
    > it is part of the "Absolute Digital" package that requires the purchase of
    > 40 or so other channels! I don't want to pay for all of these channels
    > when I just want one!
    >
    > Greg O.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    If you buy a whole year, but if you go monthly, $23/month is approaching
    cable prices.

    The point is, I just want one channel, and I don't want my money to
    subsidize MTV or VH1 or things like that.

    Greg O.

    "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I don't think NPS's Absolute Digital pak price of $128/12 hardly qualifies
    >as a high monthly price!
    > "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>I just got an e-mail from NPS that the "Speed Channel" has been moved to
    >>their "Absolute Digital" package.
    >>
    >> It seems to me this is happening more and more and I really don't like
    >> it. The "Absolute Digital" package goes against every reason I have a big
    >> dish. The "Absolute Digital" package is a large collection of many
    >> different channels with a high monthly price. If you are going to have
    >> that, you may as well use a small dish.
    >>
    >> The whole reason I want a big dish is for "Ala Carte" programming. I
    >> don't want a ton of channels with a high monthly fee like cable and the
    >> small dish require. Is this an effort to sink the big dish? To slowly
    >> move all of the channels to the one big package at a high cost?
    >>
    >> As an example, I want the "Discovery Health Channel". Now, even though I
    >> have a big dish, I cannot simply subscribe to this one channel. Instead,
    >> it is part of the "Absolute Digital" package that requires the purchase
    >> of 40 or so other channels! I don't want to pay for all of these
    >> channels when I just want one!
    >>
    >> Greg O.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    One channel is not even worth having a satellite dish for!Get free to air if
    you're that cheap!

    It's attitudes like that that are sending C band down the drain!That's why
    many programmers have had to make "buy 5,or 10 rules" because to have
    someone on the books for 1 channel means selling at a loss!

    Packages are less messing around and you even pick up a few channels,because
    to buy all those channels separately would cost way more than the package
    price!

    If all you 1 channel people would buy some decent programming maybe C band
    would come alive again,Moto would take notice and we might have more to
    watch and choose from!Go ahead,buy nothing,one day thanks to stingy
    'subscribers" it'll be all gone!

    However,I hear you and agree about the Video Music(if it can even be called
    music!)channels!

    > If you buy a whole year, but if you go monthly, $23/month is approaching
    > cable prices.
    >
    > The point is, I just want one channel, and I don't want my money to
    > subsidize MTV or VH1 or things like that.
    >
    > Greg O.
    >
    > "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I don't think NPS's Absolute Digital pak price of $128/12 hardly
    >>qualifies as a high monthly price!
    >> "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>>I just got an e-mail from NPS that the "Speed Channel" has been moved to
    >>>their "Absolute Digital" package.
    >>>
    >>> It seems to me this is happening more and more and I really don't like
    >>> it. The "Absolute Digital" package goes against every reason I have a
    >>> big dish. The "Absolute Digital" package is a large collection of many
    >>> different channels with a high monthly price. If you are going to have
    >>> that, you may as well use a small dish.
    >>>
    >>> The whole reason I want a big dish is for "Ala Carte" programming. I
    >>> don't want a ton of channels with a high monthly fee like cable and the
    >>> small dish require. Is this an effort to sink the big dish? To slowly
    >>> move all of the channels to the one big package at a high cost?
    >>>
    >>> As an example, I want the "Discovery Health Channel". Now, even though
    >>> I have a big dish, I cannot simply subscribe to this one channel.
    >>> Instead, it is part of the "Absolute Digital" package that requires the
    >>> purchase of 40 or so other channels! I don't want to pay for all of
    >>> these channels when I just want one!
    >>>
    >>> Greg O.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:14:12 GMT, "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >If you buy a whole year, but if you go monthly, $23/month is approaching
    >cable prices.
    >
    >The point is, I just want one channel, and I don't want my money to
    >subsidize MTV or VH1 or things like that.
    >
    >Greg O.
    >
    >"Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I don't think NPS's Absolute Digital pak price of $128/12 hardly qualifies
    >>as a high monthly price!
    >> "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>>I just got an e-mail from NPS that the "Speed Channel" has been moved to
    >>>their "Absolute Digital" package.
    >>>
    >>> It seems to me this is happening more and more and I really don't like
    >>> it. The "Absolute Digital" package goes against every reason I have a big
    >>> dish. The "Absolute Digital" package is a large collection of many
    >>> different channels with a high monthly price. If you are going to have
    >>> that, you may as well use a small dish.
    >>>
    >>> The whole reason I want a big dish is for "Ala Carte" programming. I
    >>> don't want a ton of channels with a high monthly fee like cable and the
    >>> small dish require. Is this an effort to sink the big dish? To slowly
    >>> move all of the channels to the one big package at a high cost?
    >>>
    >>> As an example, I want the "Discovery Health Channel". Now, even though I
    >>> have a big dish, I cannot simply subscribe to this one channel. Instead,
    >>> it is part of the "Absolute Digital" package that requires the purchase
    >>> of 40 or so other channels! I don't want to pay for all of these
    >>> channels when I just want one!
    >>>
    >>> Greg O.

    I called them yesterday and they said that prices are due to rise on
    2/1 to $200 per annum. They will negotiate tho, I've done it.

    Jack
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Let them charge a fair channel price for each channel, and let the consumer
    choose what they want to watch. They will not go broke if they make money
    off of each channel they sell.

    Greg

    > One channel is not even worth having a satellite dish for!Get free to air
    > if you're that cheap!
    >
    > It's attitudes like that that are sending C band down the drain!That's
    > why many programmers have had to make "buy 5,or 10 rules" because to have
    > someone on the books for 1 channel means selling at a loss!
    >
    > Packages are less messing around and you even pick up a few
    > channels,because to buy all those channels separately would cost way more
    > than the package price!
    >
    > If all you 1 channel people would buy some decent programming maybe C band
    > would come alive again,Moto would take notice and we might have more to
    > watch and choose from!Go ahead,buy nothing,one day thanks to stingy
    > 'subscribers" it'll be all gone!
    >
    > However,I hear you and agree about the Video Music(if it can even be
    > called music!)channels!
    >
    > "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> If you buy a whole year, but if you go monthly, $23/month is approaching
    >> cable prices.
    >>
    >> The point is, I just want one channel, and I don't want my money to
    >> subsidize MTV or VH1 or things like that.
    >>
    >> Greg O.
    >>
    >> "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I don't think NPS's Absolute Digital pak price of $128/12 hardly
    >>>qualifies as a high monthly price!
    >>> "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I think you misunderstood. I don't have an entire satellite dish system and
    receiver to just get one channel. I subscribe to hundreds of dollars of
    channels. But, each of those is a channel I want. My objection to the
    Absolute Digital package is that it is the ONLY way to get certain channels.
    The ONLY way to get the Discovery Health channel is to also pay for MTV,
    VH1, and many others that I do not want. That is what I object to, and
    further, there seems to be more and more channels going this path. At least
    with the buy 5 rule, you can pick 5 channels you want.

    By the way, I already have an FTA system. I get 99 channels off of T5
    alone, not to mention the others.

    Greg O.

    "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > One channel is not even worth having a satellite dish for!Get free to air
    > if you're that cheap!
    >
    > It's attitudes like that that are sending C band down the drain!That's
    > why many programmers have had to make "buy 5,or 10 rules" because to have
    > someone on the books for 1 channel means selling at a loss!
    >
    > Packages are less messing around and you even pick up a few
    > channels,because to buy all those channels separately would cost way more
    > than the package price!
    >
    > If all you 1 channel people would buy some decent programming maybe C band
    > would come alive again,Moto would take notice and we might have more to
    > watch and choose from!Go ahead,buy nothing,one day thanks to stingy
    > 'subscribers" it'll be all gone!
    >
    > However,I hear you and agree about the Video Music(if it can even be
    > called music!)channels!
    >
    > "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> If you buy a whole year, but if you go monthly, $23/month is approaching
    >> cable prices.
    >>
    >> The point is, I just want one channel, and I don't want my money to
    >> subsidize MTV or VH1 or things like that.
    >>
    >> Greg O.
    >>
    >> "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I don't think NPS's Absolute Digital pak price of $128/12 hardly
    >>>qualifies as a high monthly price!
    >>> "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:47:25 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:

    >So it doesn't requie any other receiver attachments or anything else
    >then?
    >
    >TrOll

    You need a DVB-FTA receiver. 4DTV is a different digital format
    (which in reality does not broadcast unencrypted, most of the "FTA"
    channels in DCII are actually encrypted, but in a free authorisation
    mode).
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:03:30 -0500, Gary J Tait
    <classicsat@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:47:25 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:
    >

    >>So it doesn't requie any other receiver attachments or anything else
    >>then?
    >>
    >>TrOll
    >
    >You need a DVB-FTA receiver. 4DTV is a different digital format
    >(which in reality does not broadcast unencrypted, most of the "FTA"
    >channels in DCII are actually encrypted, but in a free authorisation
    >mode).

    So, can anyone recommend a receiver for this application? Can this be
    used in conjunction with my 4DTV receiver, like a "side car" setup
    works?

    Thanks,

    TrOll
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:22:39 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:03:30 -0500, Gary J Tait
    ><classicsat@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:47:25 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>So it doesn't requie any other receiver attachments or anything else
    >>>then?
    >>>
    >>>TrOll
    >>
    >>You need a DVB-FTA receiver. 4DTV is a different digital format
    >>(which in reality does not broadcast unencrypted, most of the "FTA"
    >>channels in DCII are actually encrypted, but in a free authorisation
    >>mode).
    >

    >So, can anyone recommend a receiver for this application? Can this be
    >used in conjunction with my 4DTV receiver, like a "side car" setup
    >works?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >TrOll

    The Pansat2500a is a popular one. You use it alongside your 4DTV or
    plain IRD.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:37:03 -0500, Gary J Tait
    <classicsat@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:22:39 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:03:30 -0500, Gary J Tait
    >><classicsat@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>>You need a DVB-FTA receiver. 4DTV is a different digital format
    >>>(which in reality does not broadcast unencrypted, most of the "FTA"
    >>>channels in DCII are actually encrypted, but in a free authorisation
    >>>mode).
    >>

    >>So, can anyone recommend a receiver for this application? Can this be
    >>used in conjunction with my 4DTV receiver, like a "side car" setup
    >>works?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>TrOll
    >
    >The Pansat2500a is a popular one. You use it alongside your 4DTV or
    >plain IRD.

    Anyone have any dealings with the new Pansat 2700A EPG receiver? If
    so, what do you think of it? I found a place online that has them for
    $155 plus shipping. Is this a good price or what?

    Thanks,

    TrOll
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:27:30 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:37:03 -0500, Gary J Tait
    ><classicsat@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:22:39 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:

    >>>So, can anyone recommend a receiver for this application? Can this be
    >>>used in conjunction with my 4DTV receiver, like a "side car" setup
    >>>works?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>TrOll
    >>
    >>The Pansat2500a is a popular one. You use it alongside your 4DTV or
    >>plain IRD.
    >
    >Anyone have any dealings with the new Pansat 2700A EPG receiver? If
    >so, what do you think of it? I found a place online that has them for
    >$155 plus shipping. Is this a good price or what?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >TrOll

    Maybe someone will answer now. I made the post about this earlier and
    forgot to change the heading. Sorry.

    TrOll
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:53:59 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:27:30 GMT, TrOll <RACEFAM1789@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:37:03 -0500, Gary J Tait
    >><classicsat@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>>The Pansat2500a is a popular one. You use it alongside your 4DTV or
    >>>plain IRD.
    >>
    >>Anyone have any dealings with the new Pansat 2700A EPG receiver? If
    >>so, what do you think of it? I found a place online that has them for
    >>$155 plus shipping. Is this a good price or what?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>TrOll
    >
    >Maybe someone will answer now. I made the post about this earlier and
    >forgot to change the heading. Sorry.

    I doubt it. :)

    I have one, but haven't got a chance to plug it in yet.

4DTV Satellite