Some people just dont know there stuff..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, im not stating that im a know it all, i still am learning about computers, but TH has users that dont know jack about what they say.

A man gave bad advice on PSU picking and now the asker is looking for a new PSU...

Now.. I'm not perfect, but I don't like seeing a great site like TH have bad users give bad advice...

but.. They will always be there I guess.

We pride ourselves on being an open and welcoming community and aim to provide a non-elitist support and learning environment. There are no skill or knowledge prerequisites for being a Tom's Hardware member. Sometimes this results in less-than-expert levels of advice, but everyone has to start somewhere.
If you do not agree with the advice that someone else has provided, feel free to let them know, but please observe the forum rules while doing so. If you see someone who you believe is deliberately providing bad/hazardous advice, report the post and/or PM a moderator so that we can take care of it.

could you please provide a link to the posts you reference?

if a user is giving out blatantly bad advice which could be detrimental or dangerous to use then please report it or pm a moderator about it and we will look into it. however, do realize that not all members are experts so might not give the same level of answers as some of our more knowledgeable members.

Remember, the users are likely trying to be helpful however lack the expertise to do so effectively. At most they typically just need to have some things explained to them by one of the more knowledgeable members as to why their advice is not as good.

Did the person have PSU expert badges? There are only a handful of RED PSU Badged members, but I do see a lot of Green Badge "Experts" giving bad PSU advice. I think the required BA needs to be increased for that critical area.

^ What he said

Even if it means I lose my badge altogether and need more just to get a green again, lol. PSU is important.

A forum member with a green PSU badge should at least be able to find the list of OEMs. Unfortunately, I see a lot of members that don't even know what an OEM is.

I liked it when we could un select bad solutions...

Yeah I got my peepee slapped for unselecting a PSU related BA once. FFS it was a Raidmax!

our current forum policy is that if the OP selects a best answer... you are to leave it alone regardless of whether it makes sense or not. if however the thread is old and someone else marked a best answer instead of the OP then you are free to change it. you are free to make the comment on why you dont feel that its a good choice or best answer as long as you are civil about it and provide reasons without attacking the person.

while i do understand the concern where if the OP marks a bad choice as best answer hurting those further down the line i think our current policy is so that the OP doesnt feel put out if someone else is marking best answers in their own thread.

You could always +1 a good answer.

if badges were too hard to earn users would give up on trying to earn them i suppose. to be honest once you've been around the block as many of us longtimers have badges do not mean much. its nice to have some pretty pictures which call you out as an expert however ultimately your knowledge and what you write should set you apart from the rest on its own.

i do feel that some badges are a bit too easy to earn, yes, but ultimately the moderation team doesnt have control over that. only our community manager, his staff, and superiors can make that call although he may ask us for our opinions.

No offence to you personally ssddx, but that attitude is the lazy attitude here that causes problems like in the OP ^^

We should always strive to make things better. When you log into THW, you should immediately be looking for a way to make progress for the community. Never settle for mediocrity. It might mean you need to rustle a few feathers. No one is powerless. The day I feel like I cannot contribute is the day I log off for good.

damric,

if you had looked at most of my responses on the forum propper you would not have gone so far as to put the word lazy in the same sentence as my name. i dont think you realize how above and beyond i tend to go when helping users or the community. while i can certainly overlook such as unintentional insults i thought i should share my perspective on things so that perhaps you will learn to not be so pointed in your statements in the future :)

how many people here (including yourself) would sit on IRC for 6-8 hours over the span of a few days to explain to a not so computer literate user their options for building a pc and explain not just what parts you would pick but why and how to assemble said system? how many would offer to design avatars and signatures for the community using their own free time? how many users have responses that are normally counted in terms of pages of length instead of paragraphs, all chock full of usefull information? how many would spend an hour writing up a detailed response instead of just hashing together a few things and pushing send? how many users would try to tackle a project such as my WIP headphone guide? the answer is not many.

as far as the rules are concerned, you do not see what goes on behind the scenes in our moderation area. we have brought up issues similar to this before however there is not much we can do except bring it up for discussion. we are constantly looking out for the community as this is our safe haven as well and not just yours. we want it to thrive and be a good place just as much as you do. also, our rules are the rules and moderators need to enforce them whether they completely agree with them or not. we can dispute them but until they are changed follow them we will.

its quite easy to point the finger and call people lazy without knowing any better or looking into things a bit deeper.

-

there are two sides to every issue...

on one hand i agree... the highlighted best answers should be the ones which are most correct so that everyone can see it. however, on the other side if we take away the BA from the OP they will feel put out or insulted. you may laugh but the moderation team has had to deal with this when other users swooped in to steal their thread by marking someone as the BA. so its a choice between angry users who might not come back or a possibility of an answer highlighted which isnt the best. neither are ideal situations. i would say to not have the BA system however it has increased our traffic and google search results by a huge margin so its here to stay.

while the moderation team can certainly have a discussion about the issue and make suggestions for change we are not paid staff and are not in a position to make any demands and can only bring it up as a suggestion for change. you need to understand that. if you feel strongly about the BA issue then please contact our manager jpishgar and let him know your thoughts. if there is enough public outcry then our policy may change.

as for the badge issue, as i said before they were a number picked so that they were not easy to get but not hard to get either. many of our team has suggested multiple times about changing the requirements for badges however ultimately this again is not our decision and we cannot force the matter. many users seek to actively aquire said badges. while i'm not sure that is ideal motivation (i have always done it to help others) it does help our site grow and does keep our forumites busy trying to expand into other sections of the forum.

again, if you have suggestions and would like to speak with someone directly involved with deciding on such changes please forward them along to jpishgar

I knew you had some fire still in you :D

At the end of the day badges are meaningless ... you take your chances with the advice you receive.

Remember there is no "assessment" involved in getting these badges ... just votes from other users.

Those with heaps of badges are often Best Answer whores who, often went around begging for them early in their time here on toms.

The whole BA system has only been in place for a short while.

A more effective measure is likely to be how many posts are particular user has in the category, and whether they are "ancient" or a moderator, and how they fare giving advice to others in previous threads.

Most of the moderators recently chosen, were on the basis that they knew were helpful and positive toward new users.

Everyone makes mistakes ... I usually make more though ... and I pride myself on making each and every one of you feel a little bit better about yourselves.

:)

'best solution whores who neg for solutions'.. THE TRUTH HAS BEEN SPOKEN

while certainly true in some cases, it certainly is not true in all. we tend to catch and crack down on people begging for best answers wherever possible. there are a great many users who get badges legitimately.

my 1120ba/9728post record for instance was certainly earned legitimately. i was at around 900ba when i was selected as a mod so most of them came from advice i gave and not any special treatment or extra respect because i was a mod.

then we have sr-71's 5507ba/53008post record which puts most of the users here to shame :lol:

What are some examples of begging for solutions? Is it when people remind the OP to pick a solution?

generally those who openly ask for their own responses or posts to be marked as best answer. its certainly okay to remind the op to pick a best answer but it is not okay to specifically suggest that your own responses be chosen over anyone elses.

i've seen people openly asking (begging) for their own answers to be BA, i've even seen one pair of users fighting over it because they thought that the first response deserves the ba even though he gave it to the second guy who had a better post. generally though there isnt a huge amount of such things going on.

I was a member here long before there were best answers, badges, ect. I like the concept, as it is supposed to help weed out the misinformation, which is a real problem in high traffic sites like THW. I see people beg for BA all the time and I just silently report them since cheating the system works against the fundamental concept. The BA/badge system can really help THW if executed correctly and enforced by mods. For years THW was the laughing stock of the more enthusiast based tech sites because of the often erroneous information that gets given out here ("Oh really, so you heard that at THW"). With high traffic comes more bad info, and therefore a bad reputation. I think the BA/badge system has been successful at turning that around. I know that I don't hear as much bad things about THW in other forums over the past year at least. The content and reviews are getting better here as well, and that certainly helps better the image of legitimacy. Now if we can do something about cartoonish mod avatars that give the impression that this site is run by 8 year olds :p

USAFRet

Titan

I was in on one of those.
The OP picked an answer, another user undid it, thinking 'his' answer was better.
They were essentially the same answer.
OP repeated....I think it went 3 times, and then the OP PMed me asking what was going on, thinking it was a software glitch.

Was very quickly corrected. And the worst part was that the OP was a brand new user...his very first question here. The other guy had been here for years, and should have known better.

I quite like the anime avatars other mods use.

Better than a "baleful eye" or something more authoritarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.