X4 760K with MSI A78-E35M Does not Overclock!!!Help?

CHOCOLATEkevin

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
I recently built a PC based off the X4 black edition.I was pumped up in hearing this bad boy could be OC'ed to 5GHz!!!So I go ahead and go to the BIOS.This being my first build, I was impressed at the MSI's click BIOS which would make adjustments very quick.But as I get to the OC tab, i notice core ratio is locked having a overclockable CPU :(.Ive read forums how to do it with software(like AMD overdrive) , it worked , but made windows AERO stop working{so it pretty much didn't}.Also , the settings would also revert back despite being placed at a higher clock.So what can i do, I want to overclock to be a able to use this CPU at full potential!Please help!! Ive already updated BIOS to latest version V.30 and still doesnt allow me to overclock.Says I need to have a type K 65W to be able to overclock with the OC Genie. :(

SYSTEM SPECS: X4 760K BLACK EDITION
GIGABYTE R9-270X
MSI A78-35 FM2 CHIPSET

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Does the BIOS report the correct processor? It sounds like the BIOS isn't seeing the right CPU.
What happens when you go to "adjust CPU ratio" and click on it? Can you type in a value and then press enter?

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

You just can't assume you are going to get a 1.3 GHz overclock. It takes a lot of work. Tweaking voltage, ram timings etc... Then you need a quality board with good power delivery, a case with good airflow, a good cpu cooler. And lastly a well binned cpu. AND OVERCLOCK USING THE EUFI BIOS! Don't use those crappy overclocking applications.

CHOCOLATEkevin

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014

I used AMD overdrive to auto clock the device according to my current settings.However, i don't like software.The correct CPU is displayed for sure.Its just a bit** and doesn't even LET me click on core "ratio" or adjust "cpu ratio" of any sort.All i can do is turn of turbo boost and cool n' quiet.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've never heard of that happening before. The BIOS doesn't have a selection for basic user and advanced, does it? If you can't change the CPU clock ratio, there is something wrong with the board/BIOS.
Have you tried to reset the BIOS with the jumper? Maybe update to a newer BIOS if possible? Otherwise, I'd be tempted to return the board if you still can and get another. If that's not possible, contact MSI and ask them what they recommend... and RMA?

CHOCOLATEkevin

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014

Yea, what i ended up doing is returning the piece of s***.Shortly after adding new BIOS, my graphics card began to fail.Displaying stars and space all over my computer when i wasn't watching Apollo. :(.I am heavily disappointed as I had to disassemble the WHOLE build to return everything since at that point, it could have damaged who knows what else.So now, Msi will probably no longer have one more customer than it should have{Not that they will care} and I will be switching to a bit "higher" end motherboard.The Gigabyte f2a88x.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Posting pics is easiest by going to the free http://imgur.com/
You can either upload pics from your PC or URLs from online websites.
Then just cut/paste the posting codes they provide into your post. I use the BBC code mostly.

CHOCOLATEkevin

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
JSMZctp.jpg
K, here they are.The first one shows how the processor is dulled out, meaning i cant click on it.It also shows how overclocking is incompatible.{only the ones with parenthesis can be modified}

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

But the Adjust CPU Ration isn't greyed out. Can't you change it by typing in a new value?