How TiVo and RTV can survive

I am frustrated with my cable bill and I have been shopping. It looks
like the DVR is going to be a standard offering with cable/satellite
offerings and they seem to be pretty cheap. There is no big cash
outlay and that is the thing that keeps RTVs a niche market.
If you could lose the cable bill RTV looks more attractive to folks on
a liimited income.
If the company really wants to suvive they should sell content and
compete nose to nose with the cable/satellite pig. I hate paying for
several hundred channels that I never watch. I would be very happy to
simply buy my programs ala carte and have them sent to me on the net.
The software to do this is already resident in 4500 to current RTVs.
All RTV needs to do is to license the programs and they could sell
them over the internet. It would work something like you go on the net
with your PC (or even the RTV itself), select shows you want to see
from a catalog and have them sent to you IVS. Since the head end would
be a broadband node they would come a lot faster than you get when the
uplink is slower than the downlink but since you are storing them in
your RTV, speed is really not iimportant. You can still get your
network content normally off air.
You could buy a lot of shows for the $70-90 you pay for cable these
days. Perhaps some "basic" content could be bundled in your regular
service with tiers for more expensive offerings and faster delivery
times. This won't be attractive to people who just sit in front of the
TV flipping channels but most RTV folks watch things from the replay,
not live.
19 answers Last reply
More about tivo rtv survive

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:38:45 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com(Greg) wrote:

    >I am frustrated with my cable bill and I have been shopping. It looks
    >like the DVR is going to be a standard offering with cable/satellite
    >offerings and they seem to be pretty cheap. There is no big cash
    >outlay and that is the thing that keeps RTVs a niche market.
    >If you could lose the cable bill RTV looks more attractive to folks on
    >a liimited income.
    >If the company really wants to suvive they should sell content and
    >compete nose to nose with the cable/satellite pig. I hate paying for
    >several hundred channels that I never watch.

    I subscribe to DirecTV, which has the same problem. I really don't
    care to pay for some of the worst channels.

    > I would be very happy to
    >simply buy my programs ala carte and have them sent to me on the net.
    >The software to do this is already resident in 4500 to current RTVs.

    I was just reading about an old proposed feature called "iChannel",
    that may have done that if it was ever implemented. Apparently, the
    Replays were designed for that.

    >All RTV needs to do is to license the programs and they could sell
    >them over the internet. It would work something like you go on the net
    >with your PC (or even the RTV itself), select shows you want to see
    >from a catalog and have them sent to you IVS.

    That may be the way we do it someday. Some internet connections are
    even fast enough for it.

    >Since the head end would
    >be a broadband node they would come a lot faster than you get when the
    >uplink is slower than the downlink but since you are storing them in
    >your RTV, speed is really not iimportant. You can still get your
    >network content normally off air.
    >You could buy a lot of shows for the $70-90 you pay for cable these
    >days. Perhaps some "basic" content could be bundled in your regular
    >service with tiers for more expensive offerings and faster delivery
    >times. This won't be attractive to people who just sit in front of the
    >TV flipping channels but most RTV folks watch things from the replay,
    >not live.

    When I first got a Replay (one of the first 2020 units), I was going
    to use it to buffer live TV. I seldom do that anymore, but have a lot
    of particular shows recorded automatically. People miss things when
    they don't use theme channels.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    Greg wrote:
    > I am frustrated with my cable bill and I have been shopping. It looks
    > like the DVR is going to be a standard offering with cable/satellite
    > offerings and they seem to be pretty cheap. There is no big cash
    > outlay and that is the thing that keeps RTVs a niche market.
    > If you could lose the cable bill RTV looks more attractive to folks on
    > a liimited income.
    > If the company really wants to suvive they should sell content and
    > compete nose to nose with the cable/satellite pig. I hate paying for
    > several hundred channels that I never watch. I would be very happy to
    > simply buy my programs ala carte and have them sent to me on the net.
    > The software to do this is already resident in 4500 to current RTVs.
    > All RTV needs to do is to license the programs and they could sell
    > them over the internet. It would work something like you go on the net
    > with your PC (or even the RTV itself), select shows you want to see
    > from a catalog and have them sent to you IVS. Since the head end would
    > be a broadband node they would come a lot faster than you get when the
    > uplink is slower than the downlink but since you are storing them in
    > your RTV, speed is really not iimportant. You can still get your
    > network content normally off air.
    > You could buy a lot of shows for the $70-90 you pay for cable these
    > days. Perhaps some "basic" content could be bundled in your regular
    > service with tiers for more expensive offerings and faster delivery
    > times. This won't be attractive to people who just sit in front of the
    > TV flipping channels but most RTV folks watch things from the replay,
    > not live.

    The only problem I see with this (and I do believe it might just be a
    good idea, more on it in a minute) is that we live in a world of "NOW" I
    know replay types do not often watch commericials, but there is one on
    just now where the person says "Fast Food, not fast enough" and finally
    gets to "Instant coffee, now we are talking"

    People want it **NOW**

    Now.... it is true that you can stream video at a fairly good quality
    (better than "Standard" over a DSL connection (300 Kbps is decent, I
    watch NASA tv at that speed all the time, ABC news via Yahoo! and more)
    but the replays like a bit more... Thus it can take 2 or more times as
    long to stream a show as to watch it. Folks want it NOW, not tomorrow
    morning they want it NOW.

    I'm kind of the odd ball there... I've no problem putting in a request
    (Example: Acronis, Please restore my hard drive) and going to bed, one
    hour 24 minutes later... hard drive restored (or 4-8 hours for a back up
    [example chosen because.... Well.. the hard drive failed on this laptop
    recently.... So I replaced it and let Acronis do it's thing])

    Now..... A suggestion.... It would not need to be
    DigitalNetworkSoultions that did the licensing, Anyone who is able to
    generate the proper format (Note, each series of Replay (5xxx, 4xxx and
    older) needs slightly different file codecs, I do not know if there is a
    "Universial" codec that will work with all

    "Greg" <gfretwell@aol.com> wrote in message
    > If the company really wants to suvive they should sell content and
    > compete nose to nose with the cable/satellite pig. I hate paying for
    > several hundred channels that I never watch. I would be very happy to
    > simply buy my programs ala carte and have them sent to me on the net.
    > The software to do this is already resident in 4500 to current RTVs.
    > All RTV needs to do is to license the programs and they could sell
    > them over the internet. It would work something like you go on the net
    > with your PC (or even the RTV itself), select shows you want to see
    > from a catalog and have them sent to you IVS. Since the head end would
    > be a broadband node they would come a lot faster than you get when the
    > uplink is slower than the downlink but since you are storing them in
    > your RTV, speed is really not iimportant. You can still get your
    > network content normally off air.

    This was the business plan TiVo announced back in January. However, they
    haven't cut a deal with any large ISP or backbone provider. In fact,
    they've gone out of their way to insult them. This was after they had
    already insulted cable companies and lost their exclusive contract with
    DirecTV. Needless to say, their old CEO does not have the best people
    skills.

    Now Microsoft is trying to get into the biz and SBC and Verizon are already
    deploying very high speed networks to the home. SBC brings ethernet to the
    house, Verizon brings fiber to the house which is split into TV (in beta) +
    30Mb ISP service which is actually available in some areas already.

    These standalone DVR guys better work out some kind of content deal or
    they will be gone. All of the content providers (cable DSS etc) have
    some sort of DVR deal these days. At $5 a month an no up front
    equipment cost they make the $500-600 you spend for RTV tough to
    accept

    gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
    > These standalone DVR guys better work out some kind of content deal or
    > they will be gone. All of the content providers (cable DSS etc) have
    > some sort of DVR deal these days. At $5 a month an no up front
    > equipment cost they make the $500-600 you spend for RTV tough to
    > accept

    Though I do agree with what you are saying (Which, by the way is that
    most consumers are lemmings who do not bother to look before they leap
    into the latest "Gadget" craze)

    From what I'm reading the cable/sat company provided DVR's make TIVO
    look good, and if I thought TIVO was better than Replay......

    I'd not be posting in this group. So if you take the time to do the
    research REPLAY RULES. Yes, it's a few dollars more, Yes, it's worth it

    "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
    >> These standalone DVR guys better work out some kind of content deal or
    >> they will be gone. All of the content providers (cable DSS etc) have
    >> some sort of DVR deal these days. At $5 a month an no up front
    >> equipment cost they make the $500-600 you spend for RTV tough to
    >> accept
    >
    > Though I do agree with what you are saying (Which, by the way is that most
    > consumers are lemmings who do not bother to look before they leap into the
    > latest "Gadget" craze)
    >
    > From what I'm reading the cable/sat company provided DVR's make TIVO look
    > good, and if I thought TIVO was better than Replay......
    >
    > I'd not be posting in this group. So if you take the time to do the
    > research REPLAY RULES. Yes, it's a few dollars more, Yes, it's worth it

    When you say "REPLAY RULES", do you mean hardware, software (user interface
    & functionality) or both. I haven't had the pleasure of using ReplayTV,
    TiVo or i-Guide which is used by some of the cable TV companies. I would
    appreciate you mentioning some of ReplayTV's advantages. I haven't been
    able to find any sort of a comparison between these various DVR products.

    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Bill

    ReplayTV allows networking between units.
    Some only in home network, but the 5000 series allows show swapping
    over internet.

    ReplayTV allows PC DVArchive to networked play or transfer to
    computer.

    ReplayTV can be upgraded easily with very large hard drives.

    ReplayTV has many many features that make programing and using very
    very easy.

    ReplayTV has commercial skip. The 5000 series has "auto" commercial
    skip.

    Out of all the neat features, I like the automatic commercial skip the
    best. That feature alone is worth the price of ReplayTV in my
    opinion. All the other features are a bonus.

    >> I'd not be posting in this group. So if you take the time to do the
    >> research REPLAY RULES. Yes, it's a few dollars more, Yes, it's worth it
    >
    >When you say "REPLAY RULES", do you mean hardware, software (user interface
    >& functionality) or both. I haven't had the pleasure of using ReplayTV,
    >TiVo or i-Guide which is used by some of the cable TV companies. I would
    >appreciate you mentioning some of ReplayTV's advantages. I haven't been
    >able to find any sort of a comparison between these various DVR products.
    >Thanks in advance for your help,
    >Bill

    One last thing, if you get the cable box dvr, I have heard you can
    only use it with their particular service. ReplayTV works with almost
    all the cable, satelite services out their. So I would recommend
    shying away from combo boxes.

    Bill & Debbie wrote:

    > When you say "REPLAY RULES", do you mean hardware, software (user interface
    > & functionality) or both. I haven't had the pleasure of using ReplayTV,
    > TiVo or i-Guide which is used by some of the cable TV companies. I would
    > appreciate you mentioning some of ReplayTV's advantages. I haven't been
    > able to find any sort of a comparison between these various DVR products.

    Well Bill or Debbie,,,, I would suggest going back over some of the DVR
    wars in this news group. In the replay we have two different
    categories, I'm going to refer to them as 50xx and 55xx

    Models up to the 50xx, for the most part, can share video and functions
    so long as the first digit of the model number is the same (IE: 4xxx
    will swap files with other 4xxx's. Likewise a 50xx or 55xx) thus, if you
    have multiple replays, you can record 2 or 3 or however many Replays you
    have, shows at one time, Then you can watch the recorded shows on any of
    the replays in the house... Example, I have a 55xx and a 50xx, So I have
    two shows I want to record both on at the same time... I get one on each
    machine and then watch them on the "Basement" machine.

    Now... I'm told TiVo has that feature now.... But replay has had it for
    a long time... I'm also told you can add it to older TiVos but why open
    the case if you don't have to... All I needed to do to active this
    feature was string some CAT-5 cable and plug in a switch (or router)

    Feature 2: DVArchive. This is not a Replay product, it's a free
    download from the web It is a JAVA application but JRE is free too (Java
    Runtime Enviorment). I'm told TiVo now has TiVoToGo and Microsoft SELLS
    the software for it. But I've been doing this with my Replay some time now.

    DVArchive allows me to download a show from my Replay to my computer's
    hard drive and watch it..... Well... I watched 2 hours of CSI while
    waiting for my plane to get into Baltimore Airport last month (Would
    have watched more but alas... The plane got there and they started boarding)

    I have watched in restaurants, Waiting rooms, and more... Quick lube,
    30 minutes or less... A M*A*S*H episode is 30 minutes

    Feature 3: SHOW/NAV. When it records a program the Replay also records
    an EVENT log. Ideally (If the television station does not play games
    with the standard) this will log the start and end of every commercial
    break. So when the commercials start you press the right navigation
    arrow and JUMP to the end of the break (Start of the "filler" material,
    aka (Also Known As) the show) In practice this is about 75% accurate, TV
    stations put the fade to black that is supposed to precede the
    commercial break after the first ad, or before the next to the last one
    specifically to foil this system...

    Feature 3B: not available on the 55xx models: Automatic commercial
    advance... Basically... it pushes the button for you so Dr. Phil says
    "We'll take a little break now..Welcome Back" just about that fast

    Feature 4: Internet Video Sharing... Again not available on the 55xx
    models, Yes, If you have a 50xx I can send you (or you can send me) a
    recorded show or movie

    Feature 2b: DV-Archive has a "Remote control" module, It works almost
    exactly like the replay's Infrared Red remote except it works over the
    LAN so it follows the wires (or wi-fi) from your computer to the replay.
    Thus I can watch the basement Replay in the upstairs bedroom and have
    full access to all the remote's features like Show/Nav, Replay and
    Channel guides and more.

    Feature 5: Internet Program Record scheduling: I can log into
    www.myreplaytv.com and schedule a show to record... I can do this from
    ANYWHERE I can get an internet connection.

    Some common TiVo/Replay features

    Channel guide. A tv guide on your screen. customizable so you see only
    the channels you get. You can schedule a show to record with just a few
    presses of a button (or 3) All Menu driven. REplay supports "Theme"
    channels. Themes are where you give it a keyword and it looks for
    shows. For example, as a retired police dispatcher with science training
    I like the CSI shows (Including CSI, CSI miami, CSI NY and NCIS

    Well, I tell it "look up all CSI" and it fineds the first 3, I tell it
    "Set up a theme channel" and it records them, all of them, any time, any
    day, so long as it's not conflicting with another show (Since CSI is on
    2 of the 3 top channels and if there is a conflict it's lowest chan
    number wins) NCIS I had to set up special since it's not a CSI but a CIS)

    I can also record off other sources.. Example S-Video, and Direct (Base
    Band) video, Multiple outputs too, including Baseband video and RF as
    well as some other "monitor" formats

    The only thing Replay lacks... For the moment... Is HDTV
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

> [...]
    > presses of a button (or 3) All Menu driven. REplay supports "Theme"
    > channels. Themes are where you give it a keyword and it looks for shows.
    > For example, as a retired police dispatcher with science training I like
    > the CSI shows (Including CSI, CSI miami, CSI NY and NCIS
    >
    > Well, I tell it "look up all CSI" and it fineds the first 3, I tell it
    > "Set up a theme channel" and it records them, all of them, any time, any
    > day, so long as it's not conflicting with another show (Since CSI is on 2
    > of the 3 top channels and if there is a conflict it's lowest chan number
    > wins) NCIS I had to set up special since it's not a CSI but a CIS)
    >
    > I can also record off other sources.. Example S-Video, and Direct (Base
    > Band) video, Multiple outputs too, including Baseband video and RF as well
    > as some other "monitor" formats
    >
    > The only thing Replay lacks... For the moment... Is HDTV

    Thanks John. Well written and easily understood.
    Bill
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    We all know RTV is great but what is there, a few hundred thousand of
    us? DNNA is certainly not advertising and I don't know a soul who
    knows what RTV is. If I try to explain it they say "Oh a DVR, like the
    cable company". When people see $200 for the machine and $300 service
    fee or $15 a month vs "free" and $5 a month the cable deal looks
    pretty good.
    99% of the marketplace just uses these things for time shifting.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
    > We all know RTV is great but what is there, a few hundred thousand of
    > us? DNNA is certainly not advertising and I don't know a soul who
    > knows what RTV is. If I try to explain it they say "Oh a DVR, like the
    > cable company". When people see $200 for the machine and $300 service
    > fee or $15 a month vs "free" and $5 a month the cable deal looks
    > pretty good.
    > 99% of the marketplace just uses these things for time shifting.

    Well... I have seen a few ads for Replay. Very few and none on
    television (I think they shold advertise in movie theaters myself)

    I've seen a lot more for TiVo

    It's up to us to spread the word
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Is that DNNA's business plan? They really do want this to die don't
    they.

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:43:57 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >It's up to us to spread the word
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 00:28:26 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

    >We all know RTV is great but what is there, a few hundred thousand of
    >us? DNNA is certainly not advertising and I don't know a soul who
    >knows what RTV is. If I try to explain it they say "Oh a DVR, like the
    >cable company".

    I usually hear "TiVo", which is annoying (improper specificity) like
    calling the photocopiers made by Canon "Xeroxes".

    > When people see $200 for the machine and $300 service
    >fee or $15 a month vs "free" and $5 a month the cable deal looks
    >pretty good.
    >99% of the marketplace just uses these things for time shifting.

    I remember my first Replay. I ordered the lowest-priced model (10-hour
    record time) for $700. They substituted one of the first 2020 units
    (v1 software) for the same price. I wanted the Replay to buffer live
    TV (something I had been thinking about for over 10 years), but seldom
    do that anywore. It's easier to have things recorded.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > I usually hear "TiVo", which is annoying (improper specificity) like
    > calling the photocopiers made by Canon "Xeroxes".

    Alas, that is what's needed, to get them to say REPLAY instead of TiVo
    (And there is something they can do there but I cring every time I
    see/hear "TiVo It" as well)

    > I wanted the Replay to buffer live
    > TV (something I had been thinking about for over 10 years), but seldom
    > do that anywore. It's easier to have things recorded.

    I know, I know, computer just reported F: is now officially known as F:ull

    What's on F: well mostly F:/videos/*.mpg
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 22:47:46 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >

    >> I usually hear "TiVo", which is annoying (improper specificity) like
    >> calling the photocopiers made by Canon "Xeroxes".
    >
    >Alas, that is what's needed, to get them to say REPLAY instead of TiVo
    >(And there is something they can do there but I cring every time I
    >see/hear "TiVo It" as well)

    Although I'd rather hear "Replay" than "TiVo", I realize it's still
    the wrong word (excessively specific) when referring to a DVR.

    BTW, I remember when my grandmother was looking for a Beta VCR and one
    salesman called it a "Beta VHS".

    >> I wanted the Replay to buffer live
    >> TV (something I had been thinking about for over 10 years), but seldom
    >> do that anywore. It's easier to have things recorded.
    >>

    >I know, I know, computer just reported F: is now officially known as F:ull
    >
    >What's on F: well mostly F:/videos/*.mpg

    My videos are on drive V:. That's possible since Windows 2000 allows
    you to change the letters assigned to a drive (except floppies and the
    system drive), so I made it something that sounds like what's on it.

    BTW, it's also a SATA drive now, but that has nothing to do with being
    able to reassign letters. The SATA drives do seem to speed up backup
    considerably.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net shaped the electrons to say:
    >Well... I have seen a few ads for Replay. Very few and none on
    >television (I think they shold advertise in movie theaters myself)

    DNNA hasn't really promoted RTV since they took over. They purchased
    RTV for the IP and software, and have shown no real interest in
    growing the RTV product line itself. Note that there hasn't been any
    HW refresh since the 5000 came out (the 5500 is the same HW). And no
    announced plans for any in the future.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    MegaZone wrote:

    > wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net shaped the electrons to say:
    >
    >>Well... I have seen a few ads for Replay. Very few and none on
    >>television (I think they shold advertise in movie theaters myself)
    >

    > They purchased
    > RTV for the IP and software, and have shown no real interest in
    > growing the RTV product line itself. Note that there hasn't been any
    > HW refresh since the 5000 came out (the 5500 is the same HW). And no
    > announced plans for any in the future.

    Wrong again. If you're going to post on Replay forums, you should at
    least read the DNNA reports and glance at the avsforum occasionally.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:32:17 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Note that there hasn't been any
    >> HW refresh since the 5000 came out (the 5500 is the same HW). And no
    >> announced plans for any in the future.
    >>

    >Wrong again.

    What haven't we heard about?

Ptv Replaytv Cable