tivo series 2 question: pixlated channel changes

(1) Our 14 month old 40 GB Tivo Series II has recently started
pixelating/freezing images briefly at each channel change. These last
for maybe 1 to 3 seconds, and then everything is fine.

I've deleted unneeded recordings...tried a restart..no joy. Considering
a complete system restore. Can't hurt, right??
12 answers Last reply
More about tivo series question pixlated channel

    ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote:
    > (1) Our 14 month old 40 GB Tivo Series II has recently started
    > pixelating/freezing images briefly at each channel change. These last

    > for maybe 1 to 3 seconds, and then everything is fine.
    >
    > I've deleted unneeded recordings...tried a restart..no joy.
    Considering
    > a complete system restore. Can't hurt, right??

    A complete system restore isn't going to do anything for you. Here are
    the three most common causes of problems (it no particular order):
    1) TiVo is too hot
    2) TiVo harddrive is starting to go bad
    3) TiVo OS has issues

    You can easily work on #1. Fixing #2 takes a little more work. #3 is
    mostly out of your control.

    ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote:

    > (1) Our 14 month old 40 GB Tivo Series II has recently started
    > pixelating/freezing images briefly at each channel change. These last
    > for maybe 1 to 3 seconds, and then everything is fine.
    >
    > I've deleted unneeded recordings...tried a restart..no joy. Considering
    > a complete system restore. Can't hurt, right??

    I think in2sheep alluded to it, but several factors would indicate your
    problem is due to a Tivo OS upgrade to version 7.1a. Some (not all)
    folks are seeing the exact symptoms you are describing. That plus the
    fact that it started recently, which coincides with about the time Tivo
    rolled out the upgrade for non-priority users leads me to suspect that
    is your issue.

    Randy S.

    Randy S. wrote:
    > ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >> (1) Our 14 month old 40 GB Tivo Series II has recently started
    >> pixelating/freezing images briefly at each channel change. These last
    >> for maybe 1 to 3 seconds, and then everything is fine.
    >>
    >> I've deleted unneeded recordings...tried a restart..no joy.
    >> Considering a complete system restore. Can't hurt, right??
    >>

    > I think in2sheep alluded to it, but several factors would indicate your
    > problem is due to a Tivo OS upgrade to version 7.1a. Some (not all)
    > folks are seeing the exact symptoms you are describing. That plus the
    > fact that it started recently, which coincides with about the time Tivo
    > rolled out the upgrade for non-priority users leads me to suspect that
    > is your issue.
    >
    > Randy S.

    Question is - Will they fix it?

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:40:02 -0500, axl <nope@noway.com> wrote:

    >Randy S. wrote:
    >> ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>> (1) Our 14 month old 40 GB Tivo Series II has recently started
    >>> pixelating/freezing images briefly at each channel change. These last
    >>> for maybe 1 to 3 seconds, and then everything is fine.
    >>>
    >>> I've deleted unneeded recordings...tried a restart..no joy.
    >>> Considering a complete system restore. Can't hurt, right??
    >>>

    >> I think in2sheep alluded to it, but several factors would indicate your
    >> problem is due to a Tivo OS upgrade to version 7.1a. Some (not all)
    >> folks are seeing the exact symptoms you are describing. That plus the
    >> fact that it started recently, which coincides with about the time Tivo
    >> rolled out the upgrade for non-priority users leads me to suspect that
    >> is your issue.
    >>
    >> Randy S.
    >
    >Question is - Will they fix it?

    When will you losers stop paying money to be Alpha testers?

    Dump that POS Tivo and get you Cable Co's DVR.

    Sean

    >> I think in2sheep alluded to it, but several factors would indicate
    >> your problem is due to a Tivo OS upgrade to version 7.1a. Some (not
    >> all) folks are seeing the exact symptoms you are describing. That
    >> plus the fact that it started recently, which coincides with about the
    >> time Tivo rolled out the upgrade for non-priority users leads me to
    >> suspect that is your issue.
    >>
    >> Randy S.
    >

    > Question is - Will they fix it?

    There's been several minor issues mentioned with the version 7 upgrade.
    They've already come out with 2 minor revisions to address those, so
    I'd say it's a good bet it will be fixed. I'd suggest alerting them to
    your problem just to make sure.

    Randy S.

    Sean wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:40:02 -0500, axl <nope@noway.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Randy S. wrote:

    >>>I think in2sheep alluded to it, but several factors would indicate your
    >>>problem is due to a Tivo OS upgrade to version 7.1a. Some (not all)
    >>>folks are seeing the exact symptoms you are describing. That plus the
    >>>fact that it started recently, which coincides with about the time Tivo
    >>>rolled out the upgrade for non-priority users leads me to suspect that
    >>>is your issue.
    >>>
    >>>Randy S.
    >>
    >>Question is - Will they fix it?
    >

    > When will you losers stop paying money to be Alpha testers?
    >
    > Dump that POS Tivo and get you Cable Co's DVR.
    >
    > Sean

    I've seen our Cable company's DVR. Half the time when your FFWd the
    audio and video get out of sync and you need to pause and re-start to
    get it back in line.

    No thanks.

    Randy S. wrote:
    > ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >> (1) Our 14 month old 40 GB Tivo Series II has recently started
    >> pixelating/freezing images briefly at each channel change. These last
    >> for maybe 1 to 3 seconds, and then everything is fine.
    >>
    >> I've deleted unneeded recordings...tried a restart..no joy.
    >> Considering a complete system restore. Can't hurt, right??
    >>

    > I think in2sheep alluded to it, but several factors would indicate your
    > problem is due to a Tivo OS upgrade to version 7.1a. Some (not all)
    > folks are seeing the exact symptoms you are describing. That plus the
    > fact that it started recently, which coincides with about the time Tivo
    > rolled out the upgrade for non-priority users leads me to suspect that
    > is your issue.
    >
    > Randy S.

    It does seem like this started with the 7.1a load. Of course, it's only
    doing it one one of two machines running that version (the one that's 15
    months old).

    I sure like the "version 71a" issue answer a lot better than a
    broken/breaking hard drive or rotting OS!

    Tks....

    Sean wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:40:02 -0500, axl <nope@noway.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Randy S. wrote:

    >>>I think in2sheep alluded to it, but several factors would indicate your
    >>>problem is due to a Tivo OS upgrade to version 7.1a. Some (not all)
    >>>folks are seeing the exact symptoms you are describing. That plus the
    >>>fact that it started recently, which coincides with about the time Tivo
    >>>rolled out the upgrade for non-priority users leads me to suspect that
    >>>is your issue.
    >>>
    >>>Randy S.
    >>
    >>Question is - Will they fix it?
    >

    > When will you losers stop paying money to be Alpha testers?
    >
    > Dump that POS Tivo and get you Cable Co's DVR.
    >
    > Sean

    Interesting response. Even if you think Tivo is not the right DVR for
    you, why do care if somebody else wants to use it???

    ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote:

    > (1) Our 14 month old 40 GB Tivo Series II has recently started
    > pixelating/freezing images briefly at each channel change. These last
    > for maybe 1 to 3 seconds, and then everything is fine.
    >
    > I've deleted unneeded recordings...tried a restart..no joy. Considering
    > a complete system restore. Can't hurt, right??

    SAME HERE!!! I had the cable company here (for other reasons) and showed
    it to them thinking maybe they did something to the signal. They said it
    wasnt them, which I verified by taking the tivo out of the loop. It's
    def. on the tivo end. Both of my Tivos just started doing it about 2
    weeks ago.

    Who's your cable provider? I have Time Warner (Cincinnati) here.

    Axl wrote:
    > ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >> (1) Our 14 month old 40 GB Tivo Series II has recently started
    >> pixelating/freezing images briefly at each channel change. These last
    >> for maybe 1 to 3 seconds, and then everything is fine.
    >>
    >> I've deleted unneeded recordings...tried a restart..no joy.
    >> Considering a complete system restore. Can't hurt, right??
    >>

    > SAME HERE!!! I had the cable company here (for other reasons) and showed
    > it to them thinking maybe they did something to the signal. They said it
    > wasnt them, which I verified by taking the tivo out of the loop. It's
    > def. on the tivo end. Both of my Tivos just started doing it about 2
    > weeks ago.
    >
    > Who's your cable provider? I have Time Warner (Cincinnati) here.

    Adelphia....mid-Atlantic.....

    > It does seem like this started with the 7.1a load. Of course, it's only
    > doing it one one of two machines running that version (the one that's 15
    > months old).
    >
    > I sure like the "version 71a" issue answer a lot better than a
    > broken/breaking hard drive or rotting OS!
    >
    > Tks....

    Well, yes and no. At least the others you can fix yourself. Version 7
    hasn't been out long though, and they've been pushing these minor fixes
    out quickly, so hopefully yours will get addressed soon.

    Randy S.

    axl <nope@noway.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Question is - Will they fix it?

    Yes. They switched from 7.1 to 7.1a to fix some issues, and they are
    aware of this pixelation-on-change issue and are looking at it too.
    There will probably be a 7.1b at some point. It isn't hitting
    everyone, not even everyone with the same cable box or provider, so it
    is an interesting issue. But TiVo has a good history of fixing these
    things.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video System Restore