More evidence that TiVo is dying

Today CNBC reported that TiVo added about 700,000 subscribers in the
Christmas quarter, and now have over three million subscribers.

So its sure that TiVo will die any day now. RATS!

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:47:06 -0500, "George Eberhardt"
    <geberhardt@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Today CNBC reported that TiVo added about 700,000 subscribers in the
    >Christmas quarter, and now have over three million subscribers.
    >
    >So its sure that TiVo will die any day now. RATS!

    Yes. About 450,000 of them are Directv customers. So in a few months
    they'll be ex-tivo subscribers.

    Tivo is still a Dead Company Walking

    Sean

    .....and a LOT of cable companies will be hurting too once DirecTV
    launches their Spaceway satellites with the MPEG-4 Ka-cluster.When 1500
    local channels become available in high definition in 2 years time via
    satellite,even Comcast is going to feel the competitive pressure of
    that.....while it may not be a TiVo system,it will definitely be
    "TiVo-like".
    And what is the big deal with VOD anyway?
    Hotels and Guest Inns have had this feature for YEARS.......it is hardly
    a new idea.

    In article <37m9urF4rf8emU1@individual.net>,
    "George Eberhardt" <geberhardt@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Today CNBC reported that TiVo added about 700,000 subscribers in the
    > Christmas quarter, and now have over three million subscribers.
    >
    > So its sure that TiVo will die any day now. RATS!

    Wall Street likes it:

    "TiVo shares rose 7.5 percent, in premarket trading after closing
    Thursday "

    > In article <37m9urF4rf8emU1@individual.net>,
    > "George Eberhardt" <geberhardt@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Today CNBC reported that TiVo added about 700,000 subscribers in the
    > > Christmas quarter, and now have over three million subscribers.
    > >
    > > So its sure that TiVo will die any day now. RATS!
    >
    > Wall Street likes it:

    So do I; but I'm waiting to see how Sean can show that this is an important
    sign of TiVo's imminent collapse.

    --
    George Eberhardt
    (732)224-8988

    "SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message news:6596-421664A9-1064@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net...
    > ....and a LOT of cable companies will be hurting too once DirecTV
    > launches their Spaceway satellites with the MPEG-4 Ka-cluster.When 1500
    > local channels become available in high definition in 2 years time via
    > satellite,even Comcast is going to feel the competitive pressure of
    > that.....while it may not be a TiVo system,it will definitely be
    > "TiVo-like".
    > And what is the big deal with VOD anyway?
    > Hotels and Guest Inns have had this feature for YEARS.......it is hardly
    > a new idea.

    Not everyone is predicting a dire future for TiVo.
    The Carmel Group is saying TiVo will have 1/3 of the DVR market in 2008...

    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000807966

    Sean <none> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Yes. About 450,000 of them are Directv customers. So in a few months
    >they'll be ex-tivo subscribers.

    Sean, this has been proven bullshit over and over, can you think of
    something new?

    DirecTV has said they will *NOT* be moving existing people off of TiVo
    - they have no intention of replacing a couple million DirecTiVo
    systems, and they will continue to operate for the forseeable future.

    The only units with *any* uncertainty is the HD DirecTiVo, but even
    there it looks like existing national and spot beams will remain MPEG2
    for the foreseeable future.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    MegaZone (newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > Sean <none> shaped the electrons to say:
    > >Yes. About 450,000 of them are Directv customers. So in a few months
    > >they'll be ex-tivo subscribers.
    >
    > Sean, this has been proven bullshit over and over, can you think of
    > something new?
    >
    > DirecTV has said they will *NOT* be moving existing people off of TiVo
    > - they have no intention of replacing a couple million DirecTiVo
    > systems, and they will continue to operate for the forseeable future.

    Even if DirecTV dropped TiVo completely and stopped paying TiVo any money,
    the loss would not be much in terms of money. TiVo gets anywhere from
    $6.95 to $12.95 per month from standalone subscribers, while a DirecTV DVR
    subscriber gets them less than $2.00/month.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) shaped the electrons to say:
    >....and a LOT of cable companies will be hurting too once DirecTV
    >launches their Spaceway satellites with the MPEG-4 Ka-cluster.When 1500
    >local channels become available in high definition in 2 years time via
    >satellite,even Comcast is going to feel the competitive pressure of

    You do realize that they'll need to get agreements to be able to carry
    the locals, and it isn't like any DTV user will have access to that
    number of channels - just their own locals, if that. Cable will
    almost certainly be offering the same channel lineups of national and
    locals in HD - so I really don't see any big competitive advantage in

    Those Ka birds are for spot beams. It will allow DirecTV to carry
    more locals - but cable is already carrying the locals, or will be.
    It isn't some overwhelming advantage to DTV.

    DTV also has to deal with the growing demand for broadband - which is
    something cable can provide and they can't. (Satellite broadband was
    a flop, they tried it - they can't match terestrial speeds, or even
    new wireless systems like WiMax.) And they'll have added competition
    from IPTV which Verizon, SBC, and BellSouth are all pushing.
    Verizon's fiber efforts are the most agressive - Verizon will be able
    to offer fiber customers high speed data, full digital cable, IPTV,
    voice, etc, over glass - they'll have more bandwidth than the cable
    companies.

    I'm not slagging DTV, I think they have a good service, but just
    lofting four birds and adding Ka HD spot beams isn't going to somehow
    make them unbeatable in the market.

    > And what is the big deal with VOD anyway?

    Ask the people who are making it one of the fastest revenue segments
    for the cable market. VOD is popular - it is more than just a coupel
    of movies now. There have been entire networks run as VOD - The Anime
    Network started out as VOD, and still is in some markets (it is more a
    'normal' network in others now). And some of the major name networks
    are looking at VOD as a way to offer their shows without advertising.
    Want to see Lost with no ads, whenever? Pay a buck an episode -
    probably less in time.

    Networks are looking at it as a possible way to fight DVRs - who needs
    a DVR when you have a DVR-in-the-sky that has all the shows whenever
    you want them? That's well in the future, but they're already talking
    about it. HBO and Showtime are already embracing it.

    Get the price down low enough and I'd probably be willing to subscribe
    to the shows I like for a free to have them commercial free.

    >Hotels and Guest Inns have had this feature for YEARS.......it is hardly
    >a new idea.

    The concept isn't new - how it is being used now is.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    Essentially,what it will boil down to is this: COMPETITION for the cable
    companies....I never said outright displacement of market share.With the
    new HD capability of satellite,it will increase so-called "churn".Both
    sat companies and cablecos hate churn or constant switching of viewer
    groups from one service to another.With full local HD capability from
    satcos,a customer would have a CHOICE to put up a dish if he was
    dissatisfied with the offerings or service from his cable company OR
    VICE VERSA.People for a long time have long complained about issues with
    service and attitudes from cablecos......now with HD similarly being
    offered on a national scale in 2007,cable companies will now have to pay
    more attention to retaining customers more so than they have in the
    past.No more treating the customer with disrespect because they have an
    exclusive franchised territory anymore.It renders this more and more
    meaningless.....it is going to be harder for them from now on.And to my
    mind this is GOOD.

    MegaZone (newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > It will allow DirecTV to carry
    > more locals - but cable is already carrying the locals, or will be.
    > It isn't some overwhelming advantage to DTV.

    True, but it is an overwhelming DISadvantage to not carry the locals like
    cable does. Right now, HD locals aren't really a make/break thing, but
    they will be really big two years from now. Satellites take much forward
    thinking, so this time DirecTV got ahead of the curve.

    > DTV also has to deal with the growing demand for broadband - which is
    > something cable can provide and they can't.

    The only reason this is true is the discounts for bundling will get higher
    and higher until cable companies practically give away either the TV
    service or the Internet service.

    DirecTV doesn't have to do a damn thing about broadband if they don't want
    to...they are a TV programming delivery company. Of course, they could
    partner with somebody like Verizon and help Verizon get better deals for
    the source of their FIOS TV channels.

    > > And what is the big deal with VOD anyway?
    >
    > Ask the people who are making it one of the fastest revenue segments
    > for the cable market. VOD is popular - it is more than just a coupel
    > of movies now. There have been entire networks run as VOD - The Anime
    > Network started out as VOD, and still is in some markets (it is more a
    > 'normal' network in others now). And some of the major name networks
    > are looking at VOD as a way to offer their shows without advertising.
    > Want to see Lost with no ads, whenever? Pay a buck an episode -
    > probably less in time.

    Actually, DVRs for every customer will kill this. You can still pay a
    buck (or whatever) an episode, but it doesn't require precious bandwidth.
    VOD is only for people who can't plan ahead.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Eternity with nerds. It's the Pasadena Star

    In article <6596-421664A9-1064@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net>,
    SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

    > And what is the big deal with VOD anyway?
    > Hotels and Guest Inns have had this feature for YEARS.......it is hardly
    > a new idea.

    Hotels, Motels, Cable Companies, and Satellite companies make most of
    their profits from selling "Adult" entertainment video programs via PPV.

    In article <6287-42167EF9-1092@storefull-3258.bay.webtv.net>,
    SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

    > Essentially,what it will boil down to is this: COMPETITION for the cable
    > companies....I never said outright displacement of market share.With the
    > new HD capability of satellite,it will increase so-called "churn".Both
    > sat companies and cablecos hate churn or constant switching of viewer
    > groups from one service to another.With full local HD capability from
    > satcos,a customer would have a CHOICE to put up a dish if he was
    > dissatisfied with the offerings or service from his cable company OR
    > VICE VERSA.People for a long time have long complained about issues with
    > service and attitudes from cablecos......now with HD similarly being
    > offered on a national scale in 2007,cable companies will now have to pay
    > more attention to retaining customers more so than they have in the
    > past.No more treating the customer with disrespect because they have an
    > exclusive franchised territory anymore.It renders this more and more
    > meaningless.....it is going to be harder for them from now on.And to my
    > mind this is GOOD.

    You'd think that wouldn't you, but Cable companies haven't learned and
    aren't likely to. They've lost 20 million customers to minidish
    satellite in the last 8 years, and continue on as if they were still the
    monopoly they were in 1993. Get your frequent bad picture and call up
    your cable company, you're likely to get a Kelly girl insist that you're
    probably not on Channel 3; or if you can convince them you haven't
    changed anything, they'll put you down for a service call a week from
    Thursday. Cable companies are like cellular carriers. Once you're signed
    up; you're just a piece of cash flow, that can safely be ignored, and if
    you want support, it may be cheaper in the short run to lose you as a
    customer.

    I've been with DirecTv for 8 years now, and it's so nice to come home
    from work, get into my "LazyBoy" recliner turn on the TV and not have to
    think "I wonder what kind of reception I'll get today from cable".
    With DirecTv I have no snow, no ghosts, no "noisy" picture, no hum bars,
    no color fading in and out, just an excellent picture all the time on
    EVERY channel. On the rare occasion I call up DirecTv on their 800
    number the quality of the staff is an order of magnitude better than
    anything I ever got from Cable or Cellular.

    Cable companies are like cellular carriers. Once you're signed
    > up; you're just a piece of cash flow, that can safely be ignored, and if
    > you want support, it may be cheaper in the short run to lose you as a
    > customer.
    Is this the very same JZ who waxes lovingly about Verizon in
    alt.cellular.verizon, bashing same? Couldn't be.

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:55:00 +0000, Jack Ak wrote:

    > Not everyone is predicting a dire future for TiVo. The Carmel Group is
    > saying TiVo will have 1/3 of the DVR market in 2008...
    >
    > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000807966

    At the end of last year they had over a 36% share, so they're predicting
    Tivo losing share, not gaining. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't
    they used to have well over 50%? Are they dying? I don't know and don't
    care, but I don't plan on buying a another Tivo.

    Golf God (nospamanytime@comcast.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > Even if DirecTV dropped TiVo completely and stopped paying TiVo any money,
    > > the loss would not be much in terms of money. TiVo gets anywhere from
    > > $6.95 to $12.95 per month from standalone subscribers, while a DirecTV DVR
    > > subscriber gets them less than $2.00/month.
    > >
    > > What kind of logic is this? Even 2$ per month for 2 million customers is
    > > what? 4 million per month? Not something to be ignored.

    The split between SA and DirecTV subscribers is about 50/50, so that's 1.5M
    each.

    If every SA subscriber pays $12.95/month, that's $19.4M/month. So, the
    less than $3M from DirecTV is about 13% of their business. Yeah, it's
    some money, but 250K new SA subscribers will make up for it. Losing 1.5M
    subscribers and being able to make up for their losss with 250K new
    subscribers isn't too bad a deal.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Golf God (nospamanytime@comcast.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    Snip

    > If every SA subscriber pays $12.95/month, that's $19.4M/month. So,
    > the less than $3M from DirecTV is about 13% of their business. Yeah,
    > it's some money, but 250K new SA subscribers will make up for it.
    > Losing 1.5M subscribers and being able to make up for their losss
    > with 250K new subscribers isn't too bad a deal.
    You need to take into account those of us that paid for the lifetime sub.
    John

    John Graham (jgraham10@cox.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > If every SA subscriber pays $12.95/month, that's $19.4M/month. So,
    > > the less than $3M from DirecTV is about 13% of their business. Yeah,
    > > it's some money, but 250K new SA subscribers will make up for it.
    > > Losing 1.5M subscribers and being able to make up for their losss
    > > with 250K new subscribers isn't too bad a deal.
    > You need to take into account those of us that paid for the lifetime sub.

    Everybody that did so less than two years ago still pays $12.95/month
    from an accounting perspective.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > John Graham (jgraham10@cox.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >>> If every SA subscriber pays $12.95/month, that's $19.4M/month. So,
    >>> the less than $3M from DirecTV is about 13% of their business.
    >>> Yeah, it's some money, but 250K new SA subscribers will make up for
    >>> it. Losing 1.5M subscribers and being able to make up for their
    >>> losss with 250K new subscribers isn't too bad a deal.
    >> You need to take into account those of us that paid for the lifetime
    >> sub.
    >
    > Everybody that did so less than two years ago still pays $12.95/month
    > from an accounting perspective.

    Unlike a monthly fee that Tivo receives each and every month a lifetime
    subscription can only be counted on the books once and that is for the
    year it was purchased. After that the lifetime user is a liability and not a
    revenue generator. I understand your logic but it only applies to when
    my box is in the black and paid off. You also need to take in to account
    that if a user has more than one box they also get a discounted monthly
    fee of $6.95 and that includes a person that has a lifetime sub and a monthly
    box or two. You can have up to 5 boxes that get the discounted fee.
    There are alot of variables that need to be taken into account to accuratly
    show how much possible growth Tivo could do. That info should be in the
    filings with the SEC that Tivo has to do since they are traded. Tivo's future
    will depend on how fast they can get a HD and Cable Card unit out to the
    market and how well the Cable Co's start allowing Cable Card units to be
    on their systems as this will take a revenue stream from them. It will also add
    another but not as lucrative as charging a rental fee on a box and then a
    service
    fee for the guide data too.
    John

    John Graham (jgraham10@cox.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > Everybody that did so less than two years ago still pays $12.95/month
    > > from an accounting perspective.
    >
    > Unlike a monthly fee that Tivo receives each and every month a lifetime
    > subscription can only be counted on the books once and that is for the
    > year it was purchased. After that the lifetime user is a liability and not a
    > revenue generator.

    It depends on where that money is.

    It could be placed into an "escrow" fund and doled out to TiVo exactly as
    if they were getting monthly revenue.

    The point is that lifetime subscriptions that haven't gone for 2 years have
    yet to become a real liability.

    > You also need to take in to account
    > that if a user has more than one box they also get a discounted monthly
    > fee of $6.95 and that includes a person that has a lifetime sub and a monthly
    > box or two.

    Although common in this group, most people don't have more than one box.

    Still, it points out that TiVo feels they can make some money at just $6.95
    per month, so that really makes anybody who is paying $12.95/month (either
    physically or logically) an big win for TiVo.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    In article <jY2Sd.8232$yr.6655@okepread05>, John Graham wrote:
    > Jeff Rife wrote:
    >>> You need to take into account those of us that paid for the lifetime
    >>> sub.
    >>
    >> Everybody that did so less than two years ago still pays $12.95/month
    >> from an accounting perspective.
    >
    > Unlike a monthly fee that Tivo receives each and every month a lifetime
    > subscription can only be counted on the books once and that is for the
    > year it was purchased. After that the lifetime user is a liability and not a
    > revenue generator. I understand your logic but it only applies to when
    > my box is in the black and paid off. You also need to take in to account
    > that if a user has more than one box they also get a discounted monthly
    > fee of $6.95 and that includes a person that has a lifetime sub and a monthly
    > box or two. You can have up to 5 boxes that get the discounted fee.
    > There are alot of variables that need to be taken into account to accuratly
    > show how much possible growth Tivo could do. That info should be in the
    > filings with the SEC that Tivo has to do since they are traded.

    No, Lifetime is accounted as a monthly fee spread out over a FOUR year
    period. Only the earliest 1-2% of lifetime subscriptions are now not
    furnishing any income (accounting-wise) to TiVo. All of this is in
    TiVo's quarterly statements.

    At their last quarterly report (fall 2004), TiVo was getting about
    $5.2 million per month net service revenue from the standalones (after
    paying for service costs), and about $1.75 million per month net
    revenue from DirecTV. The percentage of net revenue from standalones
    has been very steadily increasing, even as the percentage of
    DirecTiVo's increases. The monthly fee per DirecTV subscription was
    about $1.25, and is still decreasing.

    So the net service revenue from just the 250K new subscribers in the
    jsut ended quarter is almost (not quite) as much as they had been getting
    from all of their DirecTV subscribers.

    "George Eberhardt" <geberhardt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Today CNBC reported that TiVo added about 700,000 subscribers in the
    > Christmas quarter, and now have over three million subscribers.
    >
    > So its sure that TiVo will die any day now. RATS!
    >

    > --
    > George Eberhardt
    > (732)224-8988

    Yep, and as a result TIVO stock is up another 6% today, after a good week
    last week. Must be rigor mortis.

    Rick

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:32:09 -0600, "John Graham" <jgraham10@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >> Everybody that did so less than two years ago still pays $12.95/month
    >> from an accounting perspective.
    >
    >Unlike a monthly fee that Tivo receives each and every month a lifetime
    >subscription can only be counted on the books once and that is for the
    >year it was purchased. After that the lifetime user is a liability and not a
    >revenue generator. I understand your logic but it only applies to when
    >my box is in the black and paid off. You also need to take in to account
    >that if a user has more than one box they also get a discounted monthly
    >fee of $6.95 and that includes a person that has a lifetime sub and a monthly
    >box or two. You can have up to 5 boxes that get the discounted fee.
    >There are alot of variables that need to be taken into account to accuratly
    >show how much possible growth Tivo could do. That info should be in the
    >filings with the SEC that Tivo has to do since they are traded. Tivo's future
    >will depend on how fast they can get a HD and Cable Card unit out to the
    >market and how well the Cable Co's start allowing Cable Card units to be
    >on their systems as this will take a revenue stream from them. It will also add
    >another but not as lucrative as charging a rental fee on a box and then a
    >service
    >fee for the guide data too.

    I don't see one more 'Nielsen family' as a liability, and neither does
    TiVo....I hope.
    How much can TiVo even possibly pay for guide data in the first place?
    It is available for free on at least six websites that come to mind.
    Hell, most of the homegrown computer based DVRs can pull and use it
    for free just like one can with a TiVo.
    If they don't penetrate a BUNCH of homes and soon, they will be doomed
    in the not so distant future. The revenue sources you talk of are
    chump change compared to the advertising $$$ they are in reach of.

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:15:27 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    (MegaZone) wrote:

    >Sean <none> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>Yes. About 450,000 of them are Directv customers. So in a few months
    >>they'll be ex-tivo subscribers.
    >
    >Sean, this has been proven bullshit over and over, can you think of
    >something new?
    >
    >DirecTV has said they will *NOT* be moving existing people off of TiVo
    >- they have no intention of replacing a couple million DirecTiVo
    >systems, and they will continue to operate for the forseeable future.
    >
    >The only units with *any* uncertainty is the HD DirecTiVo, but even
    >there it looks like existing national and spot beams will remain MPEG2
    >for the foreseeable future.
    >
    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    Oh, right. Just like when the Directv guy quit the Tivo board.

    All is well. No need to worry here. Directv loves Tivo.

    Then Directtv sold all it's Tivo stock.

    All is well. No need to worry here. Directv loves Tivo.

    Then Directv buys a company that makes DVR's.

    All is well. No need to worry here. Directv loves tivo.

    Then Directv says they'll stop pushing Tivos and roll out their own
    DVR.

    All is well. No need to worry here. Directv loves Tivo.

    Get a freakin grip megazone. As soon as the new DVR's
    are available, Directv will begin replacing the existing Tivos and
    never sell another new one.

    I have no idea how they'll market it but I can guarantee they'll
    make it worth the customers while to fork over some more cash to
    replace their existing Tivo. Just wait. You'll see.

    Of course you're already on record as saying the cable co's would
    never replace their first generation hardware DVR's because they cost
    $800 and that'd be too costly for them.

    Wrong.

    Comcast is on it's second Motorola box and other cable cos are on
    their second SA box. All a customer has to do is pick up the phone and
    say, bring me the new box. It magically appears a few days later.

    Installed. For free.

    Directv is going to be different?

    Sean

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:18:18 -0500, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

    >MegaZone (newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> Sean <none> shaped the electrons to say:
    >> >Yes. About 450,000 of them are Directv customers. So in a few months
    >> >they'll be ex-tivo subscribers.
    >>
    >> Sean, this has been proven bullshit over and over, can you think of
    >> something new?
    >>
    >> DirecTV has said they will *NOT* be moving existing people off of TiVo
    >> - they have no intention of replacing a couple million DirecTiVo
    >> systems, and they will continue to operate for the forseeable future.
    >
    >Even if DirecTV dropped TiVo completely and stopped paying TiVo any money,
    >the loss would not be much in terms of money. TiVo gets anywhere from
    >$6.95 to $12.95 per month from standalone subscribers, while a DirecTV DVR
    >subscriber gets them less than $2.00/month.

    I think it's something like $1.20 per month.

    LKind of puts those 450,000 new subscribers from Directv in
    perspective, doesn't it?

    Sean

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:06:13 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <6287-42167EF9-1092@storefull-3258.bay.webtv.net>,
    > SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:
    >
    >> Essentially,what it will boil down to is this: COMPETITION for the cable
    >> companies....I never said outright displacement of market share.With the
    >> new HD capability of satellite,it will increase so-called "churn".Both
    >> sat companies and cablecos hate churn or constant switching of viewer
    >> groups from one service to another.With full local HD capability from
    >> satcos,a customer would have a CHOICE to put up a dish if he was
    >> dissatisfied with the offerings or service from his cable company OR
    >> VICE VERSA.People for a long time have long complained about issues with
    >> service and attitudes from cablecos......now with HD similarly being
    >> offered on a national scale in 2007,cable companies will now have to pay
    >> more attention to retaining customers more so than they have in the
    >> past.No more treating the customer with disrespect because they have an
    >> exclusive franchised territory anymore.It renders this more and more
    >> meaningless.....it is going to be harder for them from now on.And to my
    >> mind this is GOOD.
    >
    >You'd think that wouldn't you, but Cable companies haven't learned and
    >aren't likely to. They've lost 20 million customers to minidish
    >satellite in the last 8 years, and continue on as if they were still the
    >monopoly they were in 1993. Get your frequent bad picture and call up
    >your cable company, you're likely to get a Kelly girl insist that you're
    >probably not on Channel 3; or if you can convince them you haven't
    >changed anything, they'll put you down for a service call a week from
    >Thursday. Cable companies are like cellular carriers. Once you're signed
    >up; you're just a piece of cash flow, that can safely be ignored, and if
    >you want support, it may be cheaper in the short run to lose you as a
    >customer.
    >
    >I've been with DirecTv for 8 years now, and it's so nice to come home
    >from work, get into my "LazyBoy" recliner turn on the TV and not have to
    >think "I wonder what kind of reception I'll get today from cable".
    >With DirecTv I have no snow, no ghosts, no "noisy" picture, no hum bars,
    >no color fading in and out, just an excellent picture all the time on
    >EVERY channel. On the rare occasion I call up DirecTv on their 800
    >number the quality of the staff is an order of magnitude better than
    >anything I ever got from Cable or Cellular.

    Thanks for admitting that your view of cable is 8 years old.

    It's a new century Jackie.

    I have Comcast and they've been great.

    Sean

    In article <civ62153rbhpae32fdev6in0c34hei6uhq@4ax.com>,
    Sean <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:18:18 -0500, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
    >
    > >MegaZone (newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > >> Sean <none> shaped the electrons to say:
    > >>
    > >> Sean, this has been proven bullshit over and over, can you think of
    > >> something new?
    > >>
    > >> DirecTV has said they will *NOT* be moving existing people off of TiVo
    > >> - they have no intention of replacing a couple million DirecTiVo
    > >> systems, and they will continue to operate for the forseeable future.
    > >
    > >Even if DirecTV dropped TiVo completely and stopped paying TiVo any money,
    > >the loss would not be much in terms of money. TiVo gets anywhere from
    > >$6.95 to $12.95 per month from standalone subscribers, while a DirecTV DVR
    > >subscriber gets them less than $2.00/month.
    >
    > I think it's something like $1.20 per month.
    >
    > LKind of puts those 450,000 new subscribers from Directv in
    > perspective, doesn't it?
    >
    > Sean

    I may be missing something, but if you are so much against Tivo, why do
    you bother to post to this group?

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:49:25 +0000, Robert Peirce wrote:

    > I may be missing something, but if you are so much against Tivo, why do
    > you bother to post to this group?

    The only thing you're missing is that he's your common, garden-variety,
    troll.

    --
    Lenroc

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:49:25 GMT, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

    >In article <civ62153rbhpae32fdev6in0c34hei6uhq@4ax.com>,
    > Sean <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> >Even if DirecTV dropped TiVo completely and stopped paying TiVo any money,
    >> >the loss would not be much in terms of money. TiVo gets anywhere from
    >> >$6.95 to $12.95 per month from standalone subscribers, while a DirecTV DVR
    >> >subscriber gets them less than $2.00/month.
    >>
    >> I think it's something like $1.20 per month.
    >>
    >> LKind of puts those 450,000 new subscribers from Directv in
    >> perspective, doesn't it?
    >>
    >> Sean
    >
    >I may be missing something, but if you are so much against Tivo, why do
    >you bother to post to this group?

    It's like watching a slow motion car crash. Afetr you warned the
    drivers involved that they were headed for the crash months ago.

    Yet they drive merrily along in their ignorant bliss.

    I just have to watch.

    Sean

    In article <klqs11plaipesmb7pcdtamo9gdc2tr9cd2@4ax.com>,
    kryppy <kryppy@gmail.cc> wrote:

    > Hell, most of the homegrown computer based DVRs can pull and use it
    > for free just like one can with a TiVo.

    And its VERY nontrivial to pull it down, massage it, reformat it, and
    import it into the "free" DVR programs. The time saved not going through
    those hoops alone pays for TiVo service.

    "Sean" <none> wrote in message

    > Like I said. Comcast has been great.

    Congratulations, you are now the official Comcast rumpswab and apologist
    extrordinnaire.

    Ed
    84HurstOlds@nowherenow.com

    Sean wrote:

    > When the new sattelites launch. You won't be watching those new HD
    > channels on your Tivo.

    We'll be watching them on a replacement TiVo.

    Sean wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:48:54 -0800, Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Sean wrote:
    > >
    > >> When the new sattelites launch. You won't be watching those new HD
    > >> channels on your Tivo.
    > >
    > >We'll be watching them on a replacement TiVo.
    >
    > Yes. Very true.
    >
    > What's the name of the NDS product that will be out in a few months?

    There isn't an NDS product coming out in a few months (at least, not
    one related to this thread or this newsgroup).

    <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1110307673.616369.323660@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

    > Sean wrote:

    > > >We'll be watching them on a replacement TiVo.
    > >
    > > Yes. Very true.
    > >
    > > What's the name of the NDS product that will be out in a few months?
    >
    > There isn't an NDS product coming out in a few months (at least, not
    > one related to this thread or this newsgroup).

    Look here...
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=01-06-2005E
    "The new DIRECTV interactive DVR will be commercially available in mid-2005."
    /
    This is not the anticipated HD DVR design from Motorola/Ucentric.
    There is no mention of NDS or TiVo in the news item, but the features
    are not those used to characterize a current model DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
    There is speculation the design is from NDS and will be manufactured
    by Thomson or Humax.

    There is no reason to believe that a new DirecTV DVR with TiVo will not
    have the same service life as a competitive product available today from
    a cable company. The internal components of the TiVo designed product
    are as reliable as components used in cable company provided DVRs.

    The user interface on a TiVo DVR is superior to any cable company
    provided DVR currently available.

    I knew you were going to say that.

    relaxificat...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I knew you were going to say that.

    You knew who was going to say what?

    It's one thing to include hundreds of not-related lines like Sean does
    and it's another to not include ANY lines of context. There is a
    middle ground you know.

    Sorry. I assumed it would be obvious given it was posted right after
    Sean's. Looking at it now I see it isn't really that obvious.

    I meant it in response to Sean's post.

    In article <oqnXd.5368$C47.1663@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote:

    > <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Sean wrote:

    > > > Yes. Very true.
    > > >
    > > > What's the name of the NDS product that will be out in a few months?
    > >
    > > There isn't an NDS product coming out in a few months (at least, not
    > > one related to this thread or this newsgroup).
    > >

    > Look here...
    > http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=01-06-2005E
    > "The new DIRECTV interactive DVR will be commercially available in
    > mid-2005."

    Thats a Jan 6 Press Release, and there's already doubt that deadline
    will be met.

    > /
    > This is not the anticipated HD DVR design from Motorola/Ucentric.
    > There is no mention of NDS or TiVo in the news item, but the features
    > are not those used to characterize a current model DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
    > There is speculation the design is from NDS and will be manufactured
    > by Thomson or Humax.

    DirecTv has already contracted with Humax. Motorola just signed a
    Billion Dollar deal for set top boxes for ComCast.

    > There is no reason to believe that a new DirecTV DVR with TiVo will not
    > have the same service life as a competitive product available today from
    > a cable company. The internal components of the TiVo designed product
    > are as reliable as components used in cable company provided DVRs.
    >
    > The user interface on a TiVo DVR is superior to any cable company
    > provided DVR currently available.

    And the TiVo performs far more reliably without the reboots, lockups and
    partial (unexpected) recordings reported on the Scientific Atlanta and
    Motorola boxes used by the Cable companies.

    relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Sorry. I assumed it would be obvious given it was posted right after
    > Sean's. Looking at it now I see it isn't really that obvious.
    >
    > I meant it in response to Sean's post.

    And you did it again! Do you notice how I keep the part of the
    that simple. Remove the parts you're not responding to and keep the
    others.

    in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:
    > relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Sorry. I assumed it would be obvious given it was posted right
    after
    > > Sean's. Looking at it now I see it isn't really that obvious.
    > >
    > > I meant it in response to Sean's post.
    >
    > And you did it again! Do you notice how I keep the part of the
    just
    > that simple. Remove the parts you're not responding to and keep the
    > others.

    Actually, I did do it correctly, both times (I paid special attention
    the second time to make sure I was including what you wrote) but from a
    mac at work. I see the interface here at home, on a pc, is slightly
    different, and I'm willing to be this will work properly. I think
    there might be an issue with firefox/google groups/macs/my work setup.

    Hopefully this will work just fine.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video