FTA & Mpeg Question

I have a 10ft dish with a dual C\KU feedhorn and both Lnb's. hooked to a GI
920 4dtv receiver. I want to expand into FTA and Mpeg, what do I need to add
to my system to do this?
Will it be worth it?
Is there a web site that will show me what channels I will get from my
location here in Wisconsin?
I have gone to http://www.lyngsat.com/ but it just shows you all the fta
channels ,how will I know which ones I can receive?

I have had my B.U.D. up for about 5 years and just love it.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank You
Shawn M.
7 answers Last reply
More about fta mpeg question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Shawn wrote:
    > I have a 10ft dish with a dual C\KU feedhorn and both Lnb's. hooked to a GI
    > 920 4dtv receiver. I want to expand into FTA and Mpeg, what do I need to add
    > to my system to do this?
    > Will it be worth it?
    > Is there a web site that will show me what channels I will get from my
    > location here in Wisconsin?
    > I have gone to http://www.lyngsat.com/ but it just shows you all the fta
    > channels ,how will I know which ones I can receive?
    >
    > I have had my B.U.D. up for about 5 years and just love it.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    > Thank You
    > Shawn M.

    To expand your system get 2 pass through splitters (one for C and one
    for Ku) a DiSCqC switch, a FTA receiver and the coax to connect it all.

    Here's the diagram on how to set it up:

    http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Accessories/Dishes/Bud-slave.htm

    You use the 920 to move th dish and set the polarity, and the FTA
    receiver pulls what it can use off the LNB feed.

    Lyngsat shows the permanent DVB transmissions. The listings that are
    shaded in the cream color and say "DVB." But there's also lots of
    temporary backhaul transmissions for sporting events and news crews that
    won't be listed. It depends on what you are looking for as to whether
    it's worth it.

    Your location in WI will be just fine for receiving most of the signals.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA

    --
    Nothing is work unless you'd rather be doing something else.

    -attributed to various authors
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Thanks for the quick reply!! Doesnt sound to bad.
    How many channels can i expect to receive?

    "Rich Piehl" <rpiehl5REMOVETHIS@FORNOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message
    > Shawn wrote:
    >> I have a 10ft dish with a dual C\KU feedhorn and both Lnb's. hooked to a
    >> GI 920 4dtv receiver. I want to expand into FTA and Mpeg, what do I need
    >> to add to my system to do this?
    >> Will it be worth it?
    >> Is there a web site that will show me what channels I will get from my
    >> location here in Wisconsin?
    >> I have gone to http://www.lyngsat.com/ but it just shows you all the fta
    >> channels ,how will I know which ones I can receive?
    >>
    >> I have had my B.U.D. up for about 5 years and just love it.
    >>
    >> Any help will be appreciated.
    >> Thank You
    >> Shawn M.
    >
    > To expand your system get 2 pass through splitters (one for C and one for
    > Ku) a DiSCqC switch, a FTA receiver and the coax to connect it all.
    >
    > Here's the diagram on how to set it up:
    >
    > http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Accessories/Dishes/Bud-slave.htm
    >
    > You use the 920 to move th dish and set the polarity, and the FTA receiver
    > pulls what it can use off the LNB feed.
    >
    > Lyngsat shows the permanent DVB transmissions. The listings that are
    > shaded in the cream color and say "DVB." But there's also lots of
    > temporary backhaul transmissions for sporting events and news crews that
    > won't be listed. It depends on what you are looking for as to whether
    > it's worth it.
    >
    > Your location in WI will be just fine for receiving most of the signals.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Rich
    >
    > God bless the USA
    >

    > --
    > Nothing is work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
    >
    > -attributed to various authors
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:21:12 -0600, "Shawn" <S.McKenna@centurytel.net>
    wrote:

    >I have a 10ft dish with a dual C\KU feedhorn and both Lnb's. hooked to a GI
    >920 4dtv receiver. I want to expand into FTA and Mpeg, what do I need to add
    >to my system to do this?
    >Will it be worth it?
    >Is there a web site that will show me what channels I will get from my
    >location here in Wisconsin?
    >I have gone to http://www.lyngsat.com/ but it just shows you all the fta
    >channels ,how will I know which ones I can receive?
    >
    >I have had my B.U.D. up for about 5 years and just love it.
    >
    >Any help will be appreciated.
    >Thank You
    >Shawn M.

    Most of the channels are on national beams so you will get most of
    them. The only things you won't get is channels beamed to Europe or
    the Pacific region, and satellites below the horizon.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Shawn wrote:
    > Thanks for the quick reply!! Doesnt sound to bad.
    > How many channels can i expect to receive?

    I think I have something like 1200 channels stored in my DVB receiver
    right now. Most of those are permanently transmissions channels.
    Others are frequently used backhaul channels. And still others are
    leftovers from one time backhaul transmissions that I just never got
    around to deleting.

    Let's just say there's *A LOT* of stuff out there. Especially if you're
    like me and much of the enjoyment comes from the search for and
    discovery of new signals.

    BTW, I want you to know I'm not advocating purchasing from the company
    that had that diagram posted. It was just a site that I found quickly
    that had the diagram. I know nothing about that company. They may be
    the best company in the world; they may be a shady ripoff outfit.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA
    --
    Nothing is work unless you'd rather be doing something else.

    -attributed to various authors
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Lyngsat can be confusing because it shows both FTA and scrambled
    channels along with DCII and analog channels. On
    <http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html> you can see just mpeg2
    channels that are not scrambled. You should be able to get most of
    them.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    dmusheff@avantel.net wrote:
    > Lyngsat can be confusing because it shows both FTA and scrambled
    > channels along with DCII and analog channels. On
    > <http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html> you can see just mpeg2
    > channels that are not scrambled. You should be able to get most of
    > them.

    But that's only the C-Band channels. There's a bunch more Ku band.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA
    --
    Nothing is work unless you'd rather be doing something else.

    -attributed to various authors
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On 7 Mar 2005 14:23:23 -0800, dmusheff@avantel.net wrote:

    > Lyngsat can be confusing because it shows both FTA and scrambled
    >channels along with DCII and analog channels. On

    Perhaps for the color blind...

    ><http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html> you can see just mpeg2
    >channels that are not scrambled. You should be able to get most of
    >them.

MPEG DVB MPEG