would a 4k monitor look good set to 1440resolution vs native res

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
was wondering if i got a 4k monitor but at first for gaming set the resolution to 1440p instead of its native 4k resolution. would quality be that degraded if not run at native resolution?

Solution
Well, it matters for everything. If what you're asking is, "Is it critical to have a high refresh rate - does it give the same advantage as it does for FPS games?" then the answer is no. But you can ask yourself the same thing about the very high resolution, too... not only will a heck of a lot of games not support it, but you don't really need it - 1440p is room enough for more hotbars than most people can fathom. :p
Yes, very much so. Some of that would depend on the monitor, but it still would not be pretty.

I strongly reccommend waiting till there's a decent 4k monitor with G-sync out there. It really does incredible things on a monitor that's a little too strong for a card to make use of.

Also, check out things like the Asus Swift - I would much, much rather have a 1440p, native 144hz, g-sync, 8-bit panel than a regular 2160p, but only 60hz with no features.

Well, it matters for everything. If what you're asking is, "Is it critical to have a high refresh rate - does it give the same advantage as it does for FPS games?" then the answer is no. But you can ask yourself the same thing about the very high resolution, too... not only will a heck of a lot of games not support it, but you don't really need it - 1440p is room enough for more hotbars than most people can fathom. :p

Solution

People do it. It's not worth it to me.

You run a risk of seriously damaging a very expensive monitor for very little return - 70Hz vs 60Hz is not going to be noticeable. In addition, if you do manage to overclock up to 100 or 120, it's going to look a lot worse than a native 120Hz panel will.