newbie needs advice getting Tennis Channel

I'm in a major US city. I have an antenna on the house right now to get
free over-the-air HDTV channels. All I usually want to watch is the big 4
networks, so this works just fine and getting HDTV for no monthly fee is
great.

But I want the tennis channel. The cheapest cable option is $55/month for
a package that includes that ($61 with DVR tuner) and otherwise I could buy
Voom for a similar price.

But I see The Tennis Channel is available on 4DTV. 10 minutes ago I had
never heard of it. I've read the FAQ in this group and searched google a
bit, but I'm still very confused.

What can/should/must I buy to get The Tennis Channel for free? Here are my
questions:

1) Where's a list of channels that are FREE with 4DTV?
2) What's the minimum size dish I could buy to get the Tennis Channel?
Yeah, I know it depends upon factors, but as a newbie, can you ballpark for
me? 3' 6' 10' 20'? (just kidding about 20)
3) What general direction would I have to point in to get that satellite
transmission for the Tennis Channel and what other channels would I get from
that same satellite so I would leave it in a fixed position?
4) Suppose I want the Golf Channel. I saw on one lousy list that it is
encrypted. Is there a simple way to pay them some small monthly fee to
decrypt just their channel or a small group of channels? Again, I'm new to
this.
5) What's a good website resource to start with?
6) How much am I looking at spending on hardware?
7) Can I install the dish myself? I installed the UHF antenna myself and
played with reception until my HD signal was good.
8) Is there a tuner box that will tune in the big dish AND my HDTV signals,
presumably with two input sources on the back?

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about newbie advice tennis channel
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    A !0' dish or larger is suggested for 4DTV, a 7.5 or 8' dish would probably work, but
    below 10' can get iffy on some channels.

    All of the satellites that are received by 4DTV are above the equator. You would need
    a good view of the sky toward the south.

    http://www.4dtv.com/Xcel/xcel.htm has a list of 4DTV channels. It is not 100%
    accurate, but it is close and it tells you what channels are clear and which channels
    require a subscription.

    http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html will give you an idea of whether or not
    you could install the dish.

    "HK" <replywithingroup@notreal.com> wrote in message
    | I'm in a major US city. I have an antenna on the house right now to get
    | free over-the-air HDTV channels. All I usually want to watch is the big 4
    | networks, so this works just fine and getting HDTV for no monthly fee is
    | great.
    |
    | But I want the tennis channel. The cheapest cable option is $55/month for
    | a package that includes that ($61 with DVR tuner) and otherwise I could buy
    | Voom for a similar price.
    |
    | But I see The Tennis Channel is available on 4DTV. 10 minutes ago I had
    | never heard of it. I've read the FAQ in this group and searched google a
    | bit, but I'm still very confused.
    |
    | What can/should/must I buy to get The Tennis Channel for free? Here are my
    | questions:
    |
    | 1) Where's a list of channels that are FREE with 4DTV?
    | 2) What's the minimum size dish I could buy to get the Tennis Channel?
    | Yeah, I know it depends upon factors, but as a newbie, can you ballpark for
    | me? 3' 6' 10' 20'? (just kidding about 20)
    | 3) What general direction would I have to point in to get that satellite
    | transmission for the Tennis Channel and what other channels would I get from
    | that same satellite so I would leave it in a fixed position?
    | 4) Suppose I want the Golf Channel. I saw on one lousy list that it is
    | encrypted. Is there a simple way to pay them some small monthly fee to
    | decrypt just their channel or a small group of channels? Again, I'm new to
    | this.
    | 5) What's a good website resource to start with?
    | 6) How much am I looking at spending on hardware?
    | 7) Can I install the dish myself? I installed the UHF antenna myself and
    | played with reception until my HD signal was good.
    | 8) Is there a tuner box that will tune in the big dish AND my HDTV signals,
    | presumably with two input sources on the back?
    |
    | Thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:54:56 GMT, "HK" <replywithingroup@notreal.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm in a major US city. I have an antenna on the house right now to get
    >free over-the-air HDTV channels. All I usually want to watch is the big 4
    >networks, so this works just fine and getting HDTV for no monthly fee is
    >great.
    >
    >But I want the tennis channel. The cheapest cable option is $55/month for
    >a package that includes that ($61 with DVR tuner) and otherwise I could buy
    >Voom for a similar price.
    >
    >But I see The Tennis Channel is available on 4DTV. 10 minutes ago I had
    >never heard of it. I've read the FAQ in this group and searched google a
    >bit, but I'm still very confused.
    >
    >What can/should/must I buy to get The Tennis Channel for free? Here are my
    >questions:
    >
    >1) Where's a list of channels that are FREE with 4DTV?

    You can see www.lyngsat.com .
    The 4DTV digital chanels are DCII (as opposed to DVB), anf free
    channels are yellow for DCII free, and white for Analog free.
    Go to the Sat Address ection if you know the name of the channel, and
    want to know where in the sky it is.

    >2) What's the minimum size dish I could buy to get the Tennis Channel?
    >Yeah, I know it depends upon factors, but as a newbie, can you ballpark for
    >me? 3' 6' 10' 20'? (just kidding about 20)

    Depending on where you are, minimum 8.5, ideal would be 10 ft.

    >3) What general direction would I have to point in to get that satellite
    >transmission for the Tennis Channel and what other channels would I get from
    >that same satellite so I would leave it in a fixed position?

    It depends where you are, but sat tracker will give an estimate.

    >4) Suppose I want the Golf Channel. I saw on one lousy list that it is
    >encrypted. Is there a simple way to pay them some small monthly fee to
    >decrypt just their channel or a small group of channels? Again, I'm new to
    >this.

    Find a provider that will sell it alacarte or in a small package.

    >5) What's a good website resource to start with?
    >6) How much am I looking at spending on hardware?
    >7) Can I install the dish myself? I installed the UHF antenna myself and
    >played with reception until my HD signal was good.

    It depends on your skills, patience, and willingness to learn.

    >8) Is there a tuner box that will tune in the big dish AND my HDTV signals,
    >presumably with two input sources on the back?

    Right now, no. If Voom does eventially fail, they could (but most
    likely won't), make the surplust receivers available for C-banders.

    >Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Thanks for the info, but can you point me at an example of a dish I could
    buy on the internet? I don't even know what to search for. I also don't
    know if they are $300 or $3000.

    About buying channels, you wrote "Find a provider that will sell it alacarte
    or in a small package." Where do I find them? Can you give me an example?

    Thank you.

    "Gary J Tait" <classicsat@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:54:56 GMT, "HK" <replywithingroup@notreal.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm in a major US city. I have an antenna on the house right now to get
    > >free over-the-air HDTV channels. All I usually want to watch is the big
    4
    > >networks, so this works just fine and getting HDTV for no monthly fee is
    > >great.
    > >
    > >But I want the tennis channel. The cheapest cable option is $55/month
    for
    > >a package that includes that ($61 with DVR tuner) and otherwise I could
    buy
    > >Voom for a similar price.
    > >
    > >But I see The Tennis Channel is available on 4DTV. 10 minutes ago I had
    > >never heard of it. I've read the FAQ in this group and searched google a
    > >bit, but I'm still very confused.
    > >
    > >What can/should/must I buy to get The Tennis Channel for free? Here are
    my
    > >questions:
    > >
    > >1) Where's a list of channels that are FREE with 4DTV?
    >
    > You can see www.lyngsat.com .
    > The 4DTV digital chanels are DCII (as opposed to DVB), anf free
    > channels are yellow for DCII free, and white for Analog free.
    > Go to the Sat Address ection if you know the name of the channel, and
    > want to know where in the sky it is.
    >
    > >2) What's the minimum size dish I could buy to get the Tennis Channel?
    > >Yeah, I know it depends upon factors, but as a newbie, can you ballpark
    for
    > >me? 3' 6' 10' 20'? (just kidding about 20)
    >
    > Depending on where you are, minimum 8.5, ideal would be 10 ft.
    >
    > >3) What general direction would I have to point in to get that satellite
    > >transmission for the Tennis Channel and what other channels would I get
    from
    > >that same satellite so I would leave it in a fixed position?
    >
    > It depends where you are, but sat tracker will give an estimate.
    >
    > >4) Suppose I want the Golf Channel. I saw on one lousy list that it is
    > >encrypted. Is there a simple way to pay them some small monthly fee to
    > >decrypt just their channel or a small group of channels? Again, I'm new
    > >this.
    >
    > Find a provider that will sell it alacarte or in a small package.
    >
    > >5) What's a good website resource to start with?
    > >6) How much am I looking at spending on hardware?
    > >7) Can I install the dish myself? I installed the UHF antenna myself and
    > >played with reception until my HD signal was good.
    >
    > It depends on your skills, patience, and willingness to learn.
    >

    > >8) Is there a tuner box that will tune in the big dish AND my HDTV
    signals,
    > >presumably with two input sources on the back?
    > >

    > Right now, no. If Voom does eventially fail, they could (but most
    > likely won't), make the surplust receivers available for C-banders.
    >
    > >Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Skyvision at www.skyvision.com sells large C-Band type dishes.Their 8.5
    foot dish sells for
    $469.95 and their 10 foot (considered consumer industry standard) dish
    sells for $599.95.
    As to programming providers there are 2 main ones: National Programming
    Service (NPS) and conglomerate Superstar/Netlink/Turnervision.Their
    customer service numbers are 1-800-444-3474 and 1-800-949-3499
    respectively.There are numerous resellers that I am not familiar with
    including the aforementioned Skyvision noted above.
    You will find the Tennis Channel on T7/400 on a 4DTV model 920,922 or
    905 sidecar add-on receiver(s).The programming provider NPS mentioned
    above seems to have a good deal on 4DTV receivers if you need one of
    those too.This channel seems to be an in the clear Digicipher 2
    channel.IT comes up as status "ZK" on my 4DTV 920 which indicates that
    it is a free channel.
    All this presumes you go to the trouble to install a BUD system,which
    is a lot more extensive than installing a small dish.Once you do
    however, I think you will be amazed at the better picture quality versus
    the small dish.I hope this helps some.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Your best bet to get you into the BUD 4DTV system is to contact NPS They
    had a sale on 4dtv IRDs $400 and 129 a year for Showtime. Then contact
    your local BUD dealers in the area. Ask if they have a used 10" with c/ku
    band. You should be able to purchase everything for around $700-900
    installed and working.

    Jack
    "HK" <replywithingroup@notreal.com> wrote in message
    > I'm in a major US city. I have an antenna on the house right now to get
    > free over-the-air HDTV channels. All I usually want to watch is the big 4
    > networks, so this works just fine and getting HDTV for no monthly fee is
    > great.
    >
    > But I want the tennis channel. The cheapest cable option is $55/month
    > for
    > a package that includes that ($61 with DVR tuner) and otherwise I could
    > buy
    > Voom for a similar price.
    >
    > But I see The Tennis Channel is available on 4DTV. 10 minutes ago I had
    > never heard of it. I've read the FAQ in this group and searched google a
    > bit, but I'm still very confused.
    >
    > What can/should/must I buy to get The Tennis Channel for free? Here are
    > my
    > questions:
    >
    > 1) Where's a list of channels that are FREE with 4DTV?
    > 2) What's the minimum size dish I could buy to get the Tennis Channel?
    > Yeah, I know it depends upon factors, but as a newbie, can you ballpark
    > for
    > me? 3' 6' 10' 20'? (just kidding about 20)
    > 3) What general direction would I have to point in to get that satellite
    > transmission for the Tennis Channel and what other channels would I get
    > from
    > that same satellite so I would leave it in a fixed position?
    > 4) Suppose I want the Golf Channel. I saw on one lousy list that it is
    > encrypted. Is there a simple way to pay them some small monthly fee to
    > decrypt just their channel or a small group of channels? Again, I'm new
    > this.
    > 5) What's a good website resource to start with?
    > 6) How much am I looking at spending on hardware?
    > 7) Can I install the dish myself? I installed the UHF antenna myself and
    > played with reception until my HD signal was good.
    > 8) Is there a tuner box that will tune in the big dish AND my HDTV
    > signals,
    > presumably with two input sources on the back?
    >
    > Thanks.

4DTV Satellite