Roccat Sova: Exclusive Photos, Drawings and Renders

Status
Not open for further replies.

silapakorn

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
This is dumb. If you want to game on the couch, use a controller. That way you can change your sitting positions as you please. But with this junk on your lap you have to sit upright all the time, which is not different than using table and chair.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Kensingtron, Most people growing up in the 90's were forced to use pc's right handed. To this day a mouse is the only bane to my left handed existence :'(

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
This is dumb. If you want to game on the couch, use a controller. That way you can change your sitting positions as you please. But with this junk on your lap you have to sit upright all the time, which is not different than using table and chair.

No it's not dumb. Mouse is easily the most accurate controller there is - and many pc games require more buttons than what controllers have. I've been using a setup like this over 15 years...

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I've been trying to put my PC in the living room for years but the control setup is just too frustrating.
The 360 controller is just about the best setup but the Windows UI doesn't work with it by default and as you enter / exit games, not all of them hand control properly back and forth between programs (from game to XBMC or Steam). Let's not even talk about games with splash screens that you need a mouse to get past.

If you figure out the controls (like with a PITA configured Pinnacle Game Profiler or similar), there is still a small matter of PC UI on most games, which is just way too small for living room use. The majority of PC games are still designed with a default assumption that you have a monitor in your face.

Maybe with Steam Machines this will change but at this point consoles are still the best choice for the living room, I'm sad to say.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I wonder how much they'll charge.

I used to try gaming on my tv, since it's larger, but my 1600p monitor wins.
Otherwise, it was all solved with a 20$ tv tray.

SilkyZ

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

No it's not dumb. Mouse is easily the most accurate controller there is - and many pc games require more buttons than what controllers have. I've been using a setup like this over 15 years...

Not to mention that most games on PC lack the auto-aim of console games because of how quick a mouse is. Play Borderlands 2 on a console and on a PC with a controller, that auto-aim makes a world of difference.

wysiwygbill

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
A trackball mouse would avoid needing a huge pad space. :) I wish there were gaming mice with the extra buttons and the trackball like the Logitech M570 (thumb trackball); it's all I've used for years and is great for gaming without having to jump your hand around.

axehead15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

This would be perfect for the PC I plan on building for my wife to use on the bigscreen. She could play the Sims 4 when it comes out comfortably. I think #1 is brilliant.

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I just use a Lap Desk (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lap%20desk) - there's no real reason to have the hardware built into the item on your lap, unless you're looking to...sell...hardware, lol.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have been using a laptop stand I bought from Home Depot or somewhere like that for a while now. *cries* for all the left handed "mutants" out there :p

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
So.... a dinner tray with a keyboard and mouse attached? ;) Why not completely deconstruct the keyboard, and attach something similar to one of those Razer keypads instead... (which have 15 buttons or so)

But the thing I keep going back to when I sit on my couch thinking about this problem, is that I need something attached to my couch... Some heavy duty swivel similar to air plane trays (the ones that pull out from beside you). So instead of a dinner tray, you've got a foldable table surface for your couch. Though that's always going to be a custom build job rather than a marketable product :(

silapakorn

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

I'm aware of the advantage of mouse and keyboard over the controller. But you are obviously missing the point here. This product boasts "comfort form sitting on the couch" (as you can see from the first picture - the blue couch), but it can't deliver that, because you still have to sit in the same posture as in table & chair setup. I didn't say that controller is superior to mouse & keyboard in terms of precision (I'm a PC gamer who uses mechanical keyboard and gaming-grade laser mouse, so I know this very well). All I'm saying is that if you aim for comfort, which is the key message here, controller is a better choice.

erendofe

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I know a few couch gamers. after all the 60 inch HD screen is in the living room with the home theatre system their PC is attached to. its likely this niche Roccat is targeting. traditional KB and mouse types can be a nightmare for these type of people.
'I myself have used a bug screen HD and proper set up home theatre to game.....IT ROCKS (if you got the money)

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Fak the couch I use a bean bag, have a keyboard on my lap and then I have a Japanese mini table I use my mouse on that sits about 8 or 9 inches from the ground, perfect since its the same as my keyboard sitting on my lap. My mouse is like a foot away from my lap, very comfortable while sitting on the bean bag with legs full extended... Plus I got my beer on the mini table too... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.