Cable vs. Satellite

Looking for opinions on cable vs. Directv. Picture quality, customer
service, etc. My cable rates just went up again, so it's time to shop. Plus
they don't even offer HD.

Rick
7 answers Last reply
More about cable satellite

    Rick S. wrote:
    > Looking for opinions on cable vs. Directv. Picture quality, customer
    > service, etc. My cable rates just went up again, so it's time to
    shop. Plus
    > they don't even offer HD.

    There's a hot topic for some people...

    Here's my opinion.

    Picture quality: You can get digital cable which should match DirecTV.
    DirecTV can be impacted by weather so the more rain storms you have,
    the higher chance you may see digital artifcats during some shows (I
    see this maybe once or twice a year where I live). Cable is pretty
    well known for having spotty signal quality on their analog lines, but
    with digital, I haven't heard as much about them having digital
    artifact problems, although some cable services are known for having
    random outages which never happens with DirecTV. You do tend to pay
    more for digital cable also.

    customer service - cable loses this one hands down. DirecTV isn't a
    shining star, but you can do (almost) everything on line and it's not
    so hard to get someone on the phone. Working with the cable people is
    just painful.

    You can get HD from DirectTV for some small fee/month. A big plus of
    DirecTV is you can get the DirecTiVo with dual tuners, dolby 5.1, all
    digital all the time, etc. and if you're willing to hack your box, you
    can then pull digital shows off your TiVo directly to the PC without
    any D->A->D conversions.

    The big difference between cable and satellite where I live (San Jose area)
    is the cost. Directv works out at about $60 a month (2 rooms, TiVo, HBO),
    Comcast works out at over $90 for the same (2 rooms, digital, HBO, 2 PVRs).
    The basic package without digital is much cheaper than DTV's lowest, but I
    want BBC America and Fox Sports (well I would want FSBA if there was a
    hockey season!) which are only available on the digital tier.

    I have found the reliability of DTV to be much better than cable, even in
    bad weather. When we had cable, the picture quality would degrade once or
    twice a year to the point where we needed to call Comcast. They would always
    send a tech to our house (usually a week after we called), who would
    conclude that the problem was outside, we would then have another weeks
    delay until the problem was fixed. We have satellite for 3 years now with no
    outages.

    "Rick S." <rsemo51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Looking for opinions on cable vs. Directv. Picture quality, customer
    > service, etc. My cable rates just went up again, so it's time to shop.
    > Plus they don't even offer HD.
    >
    > Rick

    I'd go to DTV if I wasn't paying only $9 for cable. I get service from Cox
    Las Vegas. The picture quality on analog channels is abysmal (especially on
    the locals). I'll probably stick with my Tivo and Cox until they go to all
    digital then I'll move to DTV.

    I've had DirecTV for four years now, and a Dtivo for 3. I've never had
    a service outage or a problem. The image quality is always excellent.
    I've hacked the tivo to allow extraction so when I travel I burn stuff
    to dvd and watch it on the plane without loss in quality. I would
    highly recommend it.

    I pay about 70 bucks a month for HBO, Flix, etc plus basic and locals.

    In article <w7qdna25wYSuHbrfRVn-hg@centurytel.net>,
    "Rick S." <rsemo51@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Looking for opinions on cable vs. Directv. Picture quality, customer
    > service, etc. My cable rates just went up again, so it's time to shop. Plus
    > they don't even offer HD.
    >
    > Rick

    In some areas Cable is OK; in all areas DirecTv is wonderful; plus you
    can get DirecTv with TiVo.

    On 3 Mar 2005 14:17:16 -0800
    in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Rick S. wrote:
    > > Looking for opinions on cable vs. Directv. Picture quality, customer
    > > service, etc. My cable rates just went up again, so it's time to
    > shop. Plus
    > > they don't even offer HD.
    >
    > There's a hot topic for some people...
    >
    > Here's my opinion.
    >
    > Picture quality: You can get digital cable which should match
    DirecTV.
    > DirecTV can be impacted by weather so the more rain storms you have,
    > the higher chance you may see digital artifcats during some shows (I
    > see this maybe once or twice a year where I live). Cable is pretty
    > well known for having spotty signal quality on their analog lines, but
    > with digital, I haven't heard as much about them having digital
    > artifact problems, although some cable services are known for having
    > random outages which never happens with DirecTV. You do tend to pay
    > more for digital cable also.
    >
    > customer service - cable loses this one hands down. DirecTV isn't a
    > shining star, but you can do (almost) everything on line and it's not
    > so hard to get someone on the phone. Working with the cable people is
    > just painful.
    >
    > You can get HD from DirectTV for some small fee/month. A big plus of
    > DirecTV is you can get the DirecTiVo with dual tuners, dolby 5.1, all
    > digital all the time, etc. and if you're willing to hack your box, you
    > can then pull digital shows off your TiVo directly to the PC without
    > any D->A->D conversions.

    The problem I have with digital cable is that it is usually VERY
    expensive. I have 3 recievers, one of them a DTivo, with several
    hundred "package" type channels, and the HBO bunch. I pay $75/month.

    I canceled my DirecTV once, to try to save money, and went to basic
    analog cable. The picture quality was so bad, I had direcTV turned back
    on within a week. Now, don't get me wrong. There was no snow or
    anything. It just wasn't nearly as good quality as the direcTV was.

    --
    David Frascone

    Meow... SPLAT... Ruff... SPLAT... (Raining cats & dogs)

    "Rick S." <rsemo51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Looking for opinions on cable vs. Directv. Picture quality, customer
    > service, etc. My cable rates just went up again, so it's time to shop.
    > Plus they don't even offer HD.
    >
    > Rick
    That's a no brainer DirecTV.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video Cable