(2) 5040 replaytv units sitting side by side. Help please...

How can I get both units to work via remote and using the same T.V.?

I'm thinking one can be set to channel 3 and the other to channel 4.
Cable T.V. in to both and then out from both to a T-connection which
connects to T.V. set. Do I need a switch on the T-connection?
Anyone have a setup that is working for them?
How do you get the remotes to work on only one at a time?
Do I need to block one of the IR reception ports to keep it from
working while controling the other?

Any information would be very much appreciated?
5 answers Last reply
More about 5040 replaytv units sitting side side

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:12:04 -0500, nospamcoming@me.com wrote:

    >How can I get both units to work via remote and using the same T.V.?

    With 2 Replays, there's a simple trick. From the front panel buttons,
    turn one "on" and the other "off". On the remote, the 'power' button
    will switch between the 2. All the other buttons will affect only the
    Replay that is "on".

    * There is no problem with leaving a Replay "on" all the time (other
    than as described above). However, you should still turn off the TV
    when not watching it.

    >I'm thinking one can be set to channel 3 and the other to channel 4.

    This will not work. These modulators will cause interferrance with the
    next-lower channel. The presence of the output from the ch-4 modulator
    will keep the ch-3 one from being viewable. To do this, you need
    modulators that work at least 2 channels apart.

    Anyway, RF is the LOWEST quality output available from the Replay. It
    would be better to use the baseband A/V outputs. Audio uses 2 RCA
    connectors (white, red centers). For video, the standard output uses a
    RCA jack with a yellow center. If your TV supports YUV (component
    video), you can use than (RCA jacks with green, red, blue centers).
    For multiple Replays, switches are available (including automatic
    ones, that select the active input). The 'power' button (as described
    above) will operate this switch.

    >Cable T.V. in to both and then out from both to a T-connection which
    >connects to T.V. set. Do I need a switch on the T-connection?

    Not for a splitter. A switch is needed when connection more than one
    OUTPUT (as with the Replay outputs you described above). You don't
    need a switch when connecting INPUTS.

    If the signal is too weak, you may need an amplifier. Don't use one
    unless you need to.

    >Anyone have a setup that is working for them?

    I do. I never use the RF (ch 3/4) outputs, but use the baseband
    outputs and an A/V switch. This switch is remote-controlled and
    switched between my 3 Replays and a DVD player.

    >How do you get the remotes to work on only one at a time?

    There's an easy way to do it with 2 Replays. See above.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    You can get a remote that will conrol them seperately. Check ebay for
    sources. Another way is to turn one on and leave the other off. When
    you press power one will go off and the other goes on - works pretty
    well actually. The best way to connect to the TV would be via the RCA
    cables to seperate inputs if your TV has them (might be called VID1 and
    VID2). Otherwise, you'll need a coax switch - not just a splitter.

    From:nospamcoming@me.com
    nospamcoming@me.com

    nospamcoming@me.com wrote:
    > How can I get both units to work via remote and using the same T.V.?
    >
    > I'm thinking one can be set to channel 3 and the other to channel 4.
    > Cable T.V. in to both and then out from both to a T-connection which
    > connects to T.V. set. Do I need a switch on the T-connection?
    > Anyone have a setup that is working for them?
    > How do you get the remotes to work on only one at a time?
    > Do I need to block one of the IR reception ports to keep it from
    > working while controling the other?
    >
    > Any information would be very much appreciated?

    Easiest way is to use AV-Input on the television if it has it. (For at
    least one of them) I'd not suggest the 3/4 trick

    Second would be an A/B (A/B/C/D/whatever) switch in the antenna lead

    Thanks for all replies.
    I have both up and running.
    Used a manual switch.
    Manually switch between the two depending on which one I want to watch
    or program.

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:13:27 -0500, nospamcoming@me.com wrote:

    >Thanks for all replies.
    >I have both up and running.
    >Used a manual switch.
    >Manually switch between the two depending on which one I want to watch
    >or program.

    You didn't say whether you're switching baseband or RF.

    still fall for that scam."

Ptv Replaytv Connection ReplayTV