Help/Advice for a Newbie

I'm interested in purchasing a DVR for two reasons:
1. Watch TV and skip the commercials.
2. Capture audio on TV and then burn it on a CD. I have two CD burners.
One is connected to my entertainment system and the other is connected to my
computer.

My computer is a ThinkPad running MS XP Home. I have a LinkSys wireless for
my ThinkPad so I can use it anywhere in the house.

I have read a lot in the newsgroups for TiVo and ReplayTV. I think the best
solution for me would be to purchase a RTV model 50xx if I can find one.

Questions:
1. Is this a good plan?
2. Will I have any trouble transferring the audio (music) to either of the
two CD burners?
3. Will my wireless work OK with the RTV?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Bill
4 answers Last reply
More about advice newbie

    Bill & Debbie wrote:
    > I'm interested in purchasing a DVR for two reasons:
    > 1. Watch TV and skip the commercials.
    > 2. Capture audio on TV and then burn it on a CD. I have two CD burners.
    > One is connected to my entertainment system and the other is connected to my
    > computer.
    >
    > My computer is a ThinkPad running MS XP Home. I have a LinkSys wireless for
    > my ThinkPad so I can use it anywhere in the house.
    >
    > I have read a lot in the newsgroups for TiVo and ReplayTV. I think the best
    > solution for me would be to purchase a RTV model 50xx if I can find one.

    You can only find them on eBay. You CAN buy them new from dealers who
    have installed 160gig or bigger drives in them. They are expensive.

    > Questions:
    > 1. Is this a good plan?
    > 2. Will I have any trouble transferring the audio (music) to either of the
    > two CD burners?

    Why would you transfer just TV audio to CD? Get a DVD burner and
    transfer the whole show.

    > 3. Will my wireless work OK with the RTV?

    Replays do not like wireless. The latency is too high and weak signals
    are a problem. Wireless "b" is totally useless. The best wireless for
    Replay is Buffalo. Linksys can be good if you use firmware from sveasoft
    in place of the Linksys firmware.

    "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Bill & Debbie wrote:
    >> I'm interested in purchasing a DVR for two reasons:
    >> 1. Watch TV and skip the commercials.
    >> 2. Capture audio on TV and then burn it on a CD. I have two CD burners.
    >> One is connected to my entertainment system and the other is connected to
    >> my computer.
    >>
    >> My computer is a ThinkPad running MS XP Home. I have a LinkSys wireless
    >> for my ThinkPad so I can use it anywhere in the house.
    >>
    >> I have read a lot in the newsgroups for TiVo and ReplayTV. I think the
    >> best solution for me would be to purchase a RTV model 50xx if I can find
    >> one.
    >
    > You can only find them on eBay. You CAN buy them new from dealers who have
    > installed 160gig or bigger drives in them. They are expensive.
    >

    >> Questions:
    >> 1. Is this a good plan?
    >> 2. Will I have any trouble transferring the audio (music) to either of
    >> the two CD burners?
    >
    > Why would you transfer just TV audio to CD? Get a DVD burner and transfer
    > the whole show.
    >
    >> 3. Will my wireless work OK with the RTV?
    >
    > Replays do not like wireless. The latency is too high and weak signals are
    > a problem. Wireless "b" is totally useless. The best wireless for Replay
    > is Buffalo. Linksys can be good if you use firmware from sveasoft in place
    > of the Linksys firmware.

    Thank you for your help. I'm really not much of a video person. I watch
    some TV and occasionally go to the movies. I love the idea that RTV will
    let me skip commercials and I can record programs when I'm unable to watch
    them and then trash the file. I do not own any movies (VCR or DVD) and
    except for a few of the movie greats, I never watch anything twice.
    However, I love music and have CD players that are in the car, portable and
    also in my sound system. So, I really want to record music on CDs. Mostly
    from the digital music channels provided by my cable company which have
    virtually no video.

    I am connected to the internet with DSL and I really like the idea that RTV
    will let me obtain updates and stuff via the internet and not have to use a
    phone line. Hence, my questions about wireless. I do not wish to replay
    video over my network. I just hoped I could transfer music data to my
    laptop. I imagine, I'll have to work with the audio by using RTV's audio
    out connections.

    Thanks again for your help and advice.
    Bill

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:36:12 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Bill & Debbie wrote:
    >> I'm interested in purchasing a DVR for two reasons:
    >> 1. Watch TV and skip the commercials.
    >> 2. Capture audio on TV and then burn it on a CD. I have two CD burners.
    >> One is connected to my entertainment system and the other is connected to my
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> My computer is a ThinkPad running MS XP Home. I have a LinkSys wireless for
    >> my ThinkPad so I can use it anywhere in the house.
    >>
    >> I have read a lot in the newsgroups for TiVo and ReplayTV. I think the best
    >> solution for me would be to purchase a RTV model 50xx if I can find one.
    >
    >You can only find them on eBay. You CAN buy them new from dealers who
    >have installed 160gig or bigger drives in them. They are expensive.
    >

    >> Questions:
    >> 1. Is this a good plan?
    >> 2. Will I have any trouble transferring the audio (music) to either of the
    >> two CD burners?
    >
    >Why would you transfer just TV audio to CD? Get a DVD burner and
    >transfer the whole show.

    Someone may like the audio and not need the inefficency of storing
    video too,

    >> 3. Will my wireless work OK with the RTV?
    >
    >Replays do not like wireless. The latency is too high and weak signals
    >are a problem. Wireless "b" is totally useless. The best wireless for
    >Replay is Buffalo. Linksys can be good if you use firmware from sveasoft
    >in place of the Linksys firmware.

    Also, consider whether you really NEED wireless. It may work OK for
    awhile, but if more complex (and so less reliable). It is also harder
    to set up and slower (likely too slow for video streaming). A simple
    wired connection is much preferable.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    Bill & Debbie wrote:
    > I'm interested in purchasing a DVR for two reasons:
    > 1. Watch TV and skip the commercials.
    > 2. Capture audio on TV and then burn it on a CD. I have two CD burners.
    > One is connected to my entertainment system and the other is connected to my
    > computer.
    >
    > My computer is a ThinkPad running MS XP Home. I have a LinkSys wireless for
    > my ThinkPad so I can use it anywhere in the house.
    >
    > I have read a lot in the newsgroups for TiVo and ReplayTV. I think the best
    > solution for me would be to purchase a RTV model 50xx if I can find one.
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. Is this a good plan?
    > 2. Will I have any trouble transferring the audio (music) to either of the
    > two CD burners?
    > 3. Will my wireless work OK with the RTV?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
    > Bill

    1: Is this a good plan ..... YES! (is it legal? I'm not a lawyer)

    2: Will you have any trouble... Without knowing more about the software
    you have on hand. I can not answer that, However I can do it easily with
    a very similar set up.

    3: Wireless for the laptop and DVArchive, works great, Wireless for the
    replays... Several folks here in the NG are using wireless links for the
    replays themselves, However most had to work at it to get them to work

    The replays work best with good old Cat-5 or 6 back to a router, Most
    wireless routers have wired ports as well..

    My #2 replay is a 50xx and it arrived in the mail one day as I was busy
    stringing cat-5 for it. My home network consists of a ADSL modem (Speed
    stream) Feeding a D-Link router (wireless) Wires to two computers that
    are all but sitting under it (WIn-XP and Linux) One wire to my bedroom
    (For the laptop non-wireless) and one to a D-link 8 port switch

    The switch then goes out to both replays (with five more ports for
    future expansion)

    Though I use all D-Link... I would recommend Linksys

    That said.. My one and only Linksys component is not (yet) working

Ptv Replaytv