What's the easiet way to archive to ddmy Tivo programs tha..

What's the easiest way to archive Tivo programs that I've recorded to DVD?
I've got a PC with these specs:

Dell Dimension 4500 - 2.8 Ghz Pentium IV
768mb of RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT with a S-Video out connection
Pinnacle PCTV Pro video capture card with a composite in
8x Sony DRU-530A DVD Burner
Lite-On 52X CD-RW drive
1 Western Digital 36 Gig Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive
1 Maxtor 250 Gig 7200 RPM 16mb cache SATA drive
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Sony HiFi VCR
DirectTV DVR with Tivo (bought at Best Buy about a year ago) - 40 Gig

The computer is in another room, but I could move either unit if needed.
There's a USB port on the back of the Tivo unit (not sure what it's for).
Can it transmit Video/Audio?

Any enlightenment in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff
8 answers Last reply
More about easiet archive ddmy tivo programs tha

    * Jeff Ingram wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > What's the easiest way to archive Tivo programs that I've recorded to DVD?
    > I've got a PC with these specs:

    [...]

    > DirectTV DVR with Tivo (bought at Best Buy about a year ago) - 40 Gig

    Based on that fact, you will have to hack the box.

    Search this group for Tivo Hacking links and wiki.

    --
    David
    I'm going to raise an issue and stick it in your ear.

    In article <cva52p$67hf$1@news3.infoave.net>, ingramje@gmail.com says...
    > What's the easiest way to archive Tivo programs that I've recorded to DVD?
    > I've got a PC with these specs:
    >
    > Dell Dimension 4500 - 2.8 Ghz Pentium IV
    > 768mb of RAM
    > ATI Radeon 9600XT with a S-Video out connection
    > Pinnacle PCTV Pro video capture card with a composite in
    > 8x Sony DRU-530A DVD Burner
    > Lite-On 52X CD-RW drive
    > 1 Western Digital 36 Gig Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive
    > 1 Maxtor 250 Gig 7200 RPM 16mb cache SATA drive
    > Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    >
    > Sony HiFi VCR
    > DirectTV DVR with Tivo (bought at Best Buy about a year ago) - 40 Gig
    >
    > The computer is in another room, but I could move either unit if needed.
    > There's a USB port on the back of the Tivo unit (not sure what it's for).
    > Can it transmit Video/Audio?
    >
    > Any enlightenment in this area would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    You want to archive programs you've already archived on dvd?

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:59:04 -0500, "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >What's the easiest way to archive Tivo programs that I've recorded to DVD?
    >I've got a PC with these specs:

    I would rip em like regular DVD's.

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:59:04 -0500, Jeff Ingram wrote:

    > What's the easiest way to archive Tivo programs that I've recorded to DVD?

    Easiest way is to buy a standalone DVD recorder with video inputs, and
    treat it like a VCR.

    The only other option is to hack your TiVo to allow extraction, which
    isn't really 'easy'.

    --
    Lenroc

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:46:36 -0700, Lenroc wrote:

    > Easiest way is to buy a standalone DVD recorder with video inputs, and
    > treat it like a VCR.
    >
    > The only other option is to hack your TiVo to allow extraction, which
    > isn't really 'easy'.

    Sorry, I shouldn't say 'only other option'. It's never that simple. You
    could also get a capture card for your computer and a DVD+/-R/RW drive. Or
    you could get a digital camcorder with and use the FireWire port on your
    PC. Or I'm sure there are a hundred other ways, at least... ;)

    --
    Lenroc

    No, I'd like to archive programs that are already recorded on my Tivo to
    DVD. How can I get those programs off my Tivo and onto my computer so that
    I can burn them to DVD?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram wrote:
    > No, I'd like to archive programs that are already recorded on my Tivo to
    > DVD. How can I get those programs off my Tivo and onto my computer so that
    > I can burn them to DVD?

    Easy way (since you have a video-capture card): Check the manual that
    came with the video-capture hardware. Hook up your TiVo to the
    video card as if it were a simple VCR - use the analog composite video
    and audio connectors. Disadvantage: Signal goes through yet another
    digital-to-analog plus analog-to-digital conversion step.

    If your TiVo is one of the models that support TiVo-To-Go, use that.

    Otherwise investigate http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoHackingLinks
    -Joe

    In article <cvu9pt$fveb$1@news3.infoave.net>, ingramje@gmail.com says...
    > No, I'd like to archive programs that are already recorded on my Tivo to
    > DVD. How can I get those programs off my Tivo and onto my computer so that
    > I can burn them to DVD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    If you really want it easy just get a standalone dvd recorder with a
    harddrive so you can take the commercials out. Because "easy" and "media
    extraction" aren't even in the same language.

    > "theyak" <yak@dev.null> wrote in message
    > > In article <cva52p$67hf$1@news3.infoave.net>, ingramje@gmail.com says...
    > > > What's the easiest way to archive Tivo programs that I've recorded to
    > DVD?
    > > > I've got a PC with these specs:
    > > >
    > > > Dell Dimension 4500 - 2.8 Ghz Pentium IV
    > > > 768mb of RAM
    > > > ATI Radeon 9600XT with a S-Video out connection
    > > > Pinnacle PCTV Pro video capture card with a composite in
    > > > 8x Sony DRU-530A DVD Burner
    > > > Lite-On 52X CD-RW drive
    > > > 1 Western Digital 36 Gig Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive
    > > > 1 Maxtor 250 Gig 7200 RPM 16mb cache SATA drive
    > > > Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    > > >
    > > > Sony HiFi VCR
    > > > DirectTV DVR with Tivo (bought at Best Buy about a year ago) - 40 Gig
    > > >
    > > > The computer is in another room, but I could move either unit if needed.
    > > > There's a USB port on the back of the Tivo unit (not sure what it's
    > for).
    > > > Can it transmit Video/Audio?
    > > >
    > > > Any enlightenment in this area would be greatly appreciated!
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Jeff
    > > >

    > > You want to archive programs you've already archived on dvd?

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video