Show/Nav

Some time ago I know that someone posted that Show/Nav has replaced
commercial advance on the 55xx line. However try though I might I can't
find anything on what Show/Nav is in my manual and nobody answered when
asked.

Well.... I finally found out, side effect of the 50xx with upgraded hard
drive in the living room..

Show Nav uses the NAVIGATION Keys (Just two of them, Cursor Right/Left)
to move CA style through a show. Press the Right Navigation arrow and it
jumps to the next event, Left goes to the previous event.

IN my testing:

If the show has been moved OFF the Replay onto the Computer, and is
being served back by DVarchive... No Joy

Some shows have a very long commercial break with a fade to black
positioned just so it can trip up C/A. Show/Nav is immune to this trick

Some shows run a very short commercial segment and Sho/Nav (As well as
C/A) will take you to the end of instead of the begging of, the next
show segment.

But all in all... It's much better than quick skipping along

Wife likes C/A she finally figured out the meaning of "Toggle"
22 answers Last reply
More about show nav

    In article <O7uRd.6544$H66.3052@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
    John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > Some time ago I know that someone posted that Show/Nav has replaced
    > commercial advance on the 55xx line. However try though I might I can't
    > find anything on what Show/Nav is in my manual and nobody answered when
    > asked.

    Huh.

    Well, anyway. Starting with the 50xx series, ReplayTV started marking
    where it thought there was a boundary between program content and
    commercial content.

    On the 50xx series specifically, they gave you a tool to take advantage
    of this: Automatic Commercial Advance. If ACA was on, the RTV skipped
    over the marked commercial content and played only the program content.
    (Note: this commercial marker system isn't perfect; you had to be
    careful not to miss program content on some shows.)

    If ACA was off, the RTV behaved just like any previous RTV. Note: even
    with ACA off, the RTV still marked these commercial/program boundaries.

    Along comes the 55xx series, and ACA is gone. But note: the RTV is
    still marking the commercial/program boundaries. But without ACA,
    what's the point?

    The point is Show/Nav. Show/Nav merely gives you manual control to move
    back and forth to these commercial/program boundaries, using the left
    and right navigation arrows on your remote.

    What it is, is manual commercial advance--with all the caveats about how
    well the commercial/program boundaries are marked and how you may miss
    program content if you're not careful.

    Got it?

    > IN my testing:
    >
    > If the show has been moved OFF the Replay onto the Computer, and is
    > being served back by DVarchive... No Joy

    Hmmmmm. You should have joy. It uses the same markers.

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:38:38 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Some time ago I know that someone posted that Show/Nav has replaced
    >commercial advance on the 55xx line.

    The 55xx never had CA (unless you used one of the hacks). All 4xxx and
    5xxx units have Show|Nav (as long as the software has been upgraded).

    > However try though I might I can't
    >find anything on what Show/Nav is in my manual and nobody answered when
    >asked.

    The feature must be newer than your manual. None of my manuals have
    Show|Nav either.

    >Well.... I finally found out, side effect of the 50xx with upgraded hard
    >drive in the living room..
    >
    >Show Nav uses the NAVIGATION Keys (Just two of them, Cursor Right/Left)
    >to move CA style through a show. Press the Right Navigation arrow and it
    >jumps to the next event, Left goes to the previous event.
    >
    >IN my testing:
    >
    >If the show has been moved OFF the Replay onto the Computer, and is
    >being served back by DVarchive... No Joy

    I just tried it with one. Show|Nav worked properly.

    >Some shows have a very long commercial break with a fade to black
    >positioned just so it can trip up C/A.

    And the FIRST show I tried CA on was one of those.

    > Show/Nav is immune to this trick
    >
    >Some shows run a very short commercial segment and Sho/Nav (As well as
    >C/A) will take you to the end of instead of the begging of, the next
    >show segment.
    >
    >But all in all... It's much better than quick skipping along

    Yes, if you want to skip all the commercials in a bunch.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    John in Detroit wrote:
    > Some time ago I know that someone posted that Show/Nav has replaced
    > commercial advance on the 55xx line. However try though I might I can't
    > find anything on what Show/Nav is in my manual and nobody answered when
    > asked.

    Show/Nav and the changes made to the Replay channels are in the addendum
    to the manual on the Replay site.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In article <O7uRd.6544$H66.3052@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
    > John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Some time ago I know that someone posted that Show/Nav has replaced
    >>commercial advance on the 55xx line. However try though I might I can't
    >>find anything on what Show/Nav is in my manual and nobody answered when
    >>asked.
    >

    > Huh.
    >
    > Well, anyway. Starting with the 50xx series, ReplayTV started marking
    > where it thought there was a boundary between program content and
    > commercial content.
    >
    > On the 50xx series specifically, they gave you a tool to take advantage
    > of this: Automatic Commercial Advance. If ACA was on, the RTV skipped
    > over the marked commercial content and played only the program content.
    > (Note: this commercial marker system isn't perfect; you had to be
    > careful not to miss program content on some shows.)
    >
    > If ACA was off, the RTV behaved just like any previous RTV. Note: even
    > with ACA off, the RTV still marked these commercial/program boundaries.
    >
    > Along comes the 55xx series, and ACA is gone. But note: the RTV is
    > still marking the commercial/program boundaries. But without ACA,
    > what's the point?
    >
    > The point is Show/Nav. Show/Nav merely gives you manual control to move
    > back and forth to these commercial/program boundaries, using the left
    > and right navigation arrows on your remote.
    >
    > What it is, is manual commercial advance--with all the caveats about how
    > well the commercial/program boundaries are marked and how you may miss
    > program content if you're not careful.
    >
    > Got it?

    OH, I understood all that, NO problem... The problem is WHAT THE
    (deleted) BUTTON DO I PUSH... Well, thanks to the update message on my
    50xx I now know... The navigation arrows (right and left for forward and
    back) are, strangely enough, the navigation buttons (Makes sense once
    you see it in print)

    >>IN my testing:
    >>
    >>If the show has been moved OFF the Replay onto the Computer, and is
    >>being served back by DVarchive... No Joy
    >

    > Hmmmmm. You should have joy. It uses the same markers.

    What I though too... It might just be the show I'm trying to watch that
    way... I don't know

    I would like a program that will run, well, on a slower (366 Mhz P4)
    win-98 machine with the functionality of the Replay re: either ACA or
    Show/Nav, Alas, I've not found one... There is one that comes close,
    works fine on the 1,8 Ghz machine, but alas... This box is a bit slower

    Tony D wrote:
    > John in Detroit wrote:
    >
    >> Some time ago I know that someone posted that Show/Nav has replaced
    >> commercial advance on the 55xx line. However try though I might I
    >> can't find anything on what Show/Nav is in my manual and nobody
    >> answered when asked.
    >>

    > Show/Nav and the changes made to the Replay channels are in the addendum
    > to the manual on the Replay site.

    Thanks... Never looked there, Did ask here, nobody replied, So now that
    I found it, I thought I'd post it.

    Works great now that I know about it

    Only problem I've had has nothing to do with Replay or DVA but the
    latest Windows 98 and MSIE updates were ... Not good... Thankfully
    Acronis True Image... IS GOOD, so I was able tu down-date

    The 55xx auto advance feature works pretty well most of the time, but as
    mentioned sometimes it misses the correct start point. I wished that it
    would automatically display the amount of time skipped (or at least the
    elapsed show time) for a few seconds so I know the skip worked properly.

    Is there something I'm missing that would easily do this? (other than turn
    on the display before the skip and then back off - too much button pushing)

    Lobod80 wrote:
    > The 55xx auto advance feature works pretty well most of the time, but as
    > mentioned sometimes it misses the correct start point. I wished that it
    > would automatically display the amount of time skipped (or at least the
    > elapsed show time) for a few seconds so I know the skip worked properly.
    >
    > Is there something I'm missing that would easily do this? (other than turn
    > on the display before the skip and then back off - too much button pushing)

    I agree with you fully on this and alas, Not that I'm aware of

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:09:40 -0700, "Lobod80" <q@enterprise.net>
    wrote:

    >The 55xx auto advance feature works pretty well most of the time, but as
    >mentioned sometimes it misses the correct start point. I wished that it
    >would automatically display the amount of time skipped (or at least the
    >elapsed show time) for a few seconds so I know the skip worked properly.
    >
    >Is there something I'm missing that would easily do this? (other than turn
    >on the display before the skip and then back off - too much button pushing)

    If you use a remote that supports macros, you could program one to
    'display' then 'right'.

    "Lobod80" <q@enterprise.net> wrote in

    > I wished
    > that it would automatically display the amount of time skipped (or at
    > least the elapsed show time) for a few seconds so I know the skip
    > worked properly.
    >
    > Is there something I'm missing that would easily do this? (other than
    > turn on the display before the skip and then back off - too much
    > button pushing)

    When I use the show nav, the total elapsed time of the show displays in the
    upper right corner for five seconds or so. I assume this is the default
    behavior, sonce I never changed anything.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 21 Feb 2005 16:05:42 GMT, PJS <pjs@_pjsdesigns.com> wrote:

    >"Lobod80" <q@enterprise.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I wished
    >> that it would automatically display the amount of time skipped (or at
    >> least the elapsed show time) for a few seconds so I know the skip
    >> worked properly.
    >>
    >> Is there something I'm missing that would easily do this? (other than
    >> turn on the display before the skip and then back off - too much
    >> button pushing)
    >>

    >When I use the show nav, the total elapsed time of the show displays in the
    >upper right corner for five seconds or so. I assume this is the default
    >behavior, sonce I never changed anything.

    It would be nice if you knew how to enable that feature. Perhaps it's
    a "clawfoot portal" command.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    That's interesting that some have the feature I desire. I guess I'll have
    to dig deeper since it apparently exists.

    There is hope!
    Thanks for the info.

    "PJS" <pjs@_pjsdesigns.com> wrote in message
    > "Lobod80" <q@enterprise.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I wished
    >> that it would automatically display the amount of time skipped (or at
    >> least the elapsed show time) for a few seconds so I know the skip
    >> worked properly.
    >>
    >> Is there something I'm missing that would easily do this? (other than
    >> turn on the display before the skip and then back off - too much
    >> button pushing)
    >>

    > When I use the show nav, the total elapsed time of the show displays in
    > the
    > upper right corner for five seconds or so. I assume this is the default
    > behavior, sonce I never changed anything.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

    > It would be nice if you knew how to enable that feature. Perhaps it's
    > a "clawfoot portal" command.

    Yeah, beats me. I have an older 5000 series and a newer 5500, and on
    either one, when I use the show|nav forward or back I get the info banner
    (show title, length of show and when/from what channel it was recorded)
    with the elapsed time of the show. This runs for 5 seconds, and then fades
    off. I'd assumed this was the default and just playing around now, I can't
    see a way to enable or disable it.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:16:35 GMT, pjs <pjs@pjs_designs.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
    >

    >> It would be nice if you knew how to enable that feature. Perhaps it's
    >> a "clawfoot portal" command.
    >>

    >Yeah, beats me. I have an older 5000 series and a newer 5500, and on
    >either one, when I use the show|nav forward or back I get the info banner
    >(show title, length of show and when/from what channel it was recorded)
    >with the elapsed time of the show. This runs for 5 seconds, and then fades
    >off. I'd assumed this was the default and just playing around now, I can't
    >see a way to enable or disable it.

    My Replay wasn't doing that automatically yesterday. It is doing it
    now. Possibly there was a software upgrade, although 4-1-1-Zones says
    there hasn't been one since July 27. It could be inconsistant, working
    on some shows but not others.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Tony D wrote:

    > Show/Nav and the changes made to the Replay channels are in the addendum
    > to the manual on the Replay site.

    I finally got around to looking at the replay site.

    Could not find the above mentioned addendum however, NO mention of
    Show/Nav could I find
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:16:35 GMT, pjs <pjs@pjs_designs.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
    >>

    > My Replay wasn't doing that automatically yesterday. It is doing it
    > now. Possibly there was a software upgrade, although 4-1-1-Zones says
    > there hasn't been one since July 27. It could be inconsistant, working
    > on some shows but not others.

    I contacted tech support via the website, and, while I'm not entirely
    certain they actually read what I wrote (which was, basically, aksing if
    there was a way to enable/disable this, since my units showed the time, and
    others didn't), I'll pass along their response:

    "Try hardbooting the unit by unplugging the unit for about 30 seconds and
    see if the unit will correct itself. If not please advise."
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:14:17 GMT, pjs <pjs@pjs_designs.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:16:35 GMT, pjs <pjs@pjs_designs.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
    >>>

    >> My Replay wasn't doing that automatically yesterday. It is doing it
    >> now. Possibly there was a software upgrade, although 4-1-1-Zones says
    >> there hasn't been one since July 27. It could be inconsistant, working
    >> on some shows but not others.
    >>

    >I contacted tech support via the website, and, while I'm not entirely
    >certain they actually read what I wrote (which was, basically, aksing if
    >there was a way to enable/disable this, since my units showed the time, and
    >others didn't), I'll pass along their response:
    >
    >"Try hardbooting the unit by unplugging the unit for about 30 seconds and
    >see if the unit will correct itself. If not please advise."

    My Replay had not rebooted between when I tried it last night and
    today.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I notice last night that mine is now also working with the 5 second
    display - very cool!!

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:14:17 GMT, pjs <pjs@pjs_designs.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

    >>> My Replay wasn't doing that automatically yesterday. It is doing it
    >>> now. Possibly there was a software upgrade, although 4-1-1-Zones says
    >>> there hasn't been one since July 27. It could be inconsistant, working
    >>> on some shows but not others.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Lobod80 wrote:
    > I notice last night that mine is now also working with the 5 second
    > display - very cool!!
    >

    > "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:14:17 GMT, pjs <pjs@pjs_designs.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

    I know many folks already know about this, but I'll post anyhow for
    those who don't. To skip most of ANY commercial break, you can type a
    number and then hit QuickSkip to advance that many minutes. Even for
    those of us with 50XX units, this is becoming more of a necessity since
    many programs now have gaps designed to fool the Commercial-Advance
    index marks. NFL football broadcasts seem to NEVER work with CA now.
    It seems that I've noticed that they vary the time when they switch
    from content to commercials to do this, which makes me think that the
    Replay must use the time interval from the first commercial break of a
    given show to predict the others.

    Since commercial breaks have gotten absurd now (particularly on hot
    shows like 24 or Desperate Housewives, where they have actually had to
    adjust content to end in weird places just to accomodate more ads), you
    can realiably type "4" and then quickskip, which gets you past the
    average EIGHT (yes, I said 8) commercials in any given commercial
    break. This is better than pressing quickskip 8 times because you
    inevitably add a 1-2 second delay with each press of Quickskip so that
    you end up always having to press "InstantReplay" one or more times as
    well to go back in 7 second segments. For 24 or Desperate Housewives,
    I press "5" and then quickskip. I counted 11 commercials in the last
    episode of Desperate Housewives. Yikes!

    Scott
    (owns 4 5040 units)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Scott" <scott@kdsoftware.com> wrote in news:1109285553.837093.309540
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Since commercial breaks have gotten absurd now (particularly on hot
    > shows like 24 or Desperate Housewives, where they have actually had to
    > adjust content to end in weird places just to accomodate more ads), you
    > can realiably type "4" and then quickskip, which gets you past the
    > average EIGHT (yes, I said 8) commercials in any given commercial
    > break. This is better than pressing quickskip 8 times because you
    > inevitably add a 1-2 second delay with each press of Quickskip so that
    > you end up always having to press "InstantReplay" one or more times as
    > well to go back in 7 second segments. For 24 or Desperate Housewives,
    > I press "5" and then quickskip. I counted 11 commercials in the last
    > episode of Desperate Housewives. Yikes!

    I've noticed that some of the shows I watch will vary the length of their
    commercial breaks also. It may be three minutes for the first two, two
    minutes for the next (with a very short show segment), and then back to
    another two or three minute break. Sneaky bastids.

    I think they ought to go back to the old-time radio model of incorporating
    the sponsors into the show themselves. The Johnson's Wax spots on Fibber
    McGee or Jello on Jack Benny were as entertaining as the rest of the shows.

    Think of the possibilities of working in Cialis as a sponsor on Desperate
    Housewives!
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Scott wrote:

    > Since commercial breaks have gotten absurd now (particularly on hot
    > shows like 24 or Desperate Housewives, where they have actually had to
    > adjust content to end in weird places just to accomodate more ads....

    Ok, Here is something to think about, How many TV stations sell shows?
    Come on, How many commericial TV stations sell shows (Yes, I do know
    that some shows are syndicated and are indeed sold)

    The answer is "not many"

    How many SELL ADVERTISMENT time to advertisers (If you limit to
    commericial stations, then the answer is ALL OF THEM, if you include
    public television which is prohibited from carrying advertisment, then
    the answer does not change cause they found a way around the prohobition
    (This show brought to you by a grant from the MOBILE corporation)

    So, what does this tell you... Simple, the PRODUCT the station sells is
    advertising. The show is just filler placed between the ads.

    Actually. the name of the game is "Bait and Switch" THe show is the
    bait, the commericials are the switch, the idea is to bait you into
    watching the commericials. So they play games with the
    show/commericial/show breaks (the fade to black the replays record as
    events) they run short, or long, breaks and do other thigns to "Break"
    your commericial advance and show/nav functions.

    Can you blame them? (Yes You can) Do you have to like it (NO WAY) what
    can you do about it,,, alas there I can not give an answer but Replay
    gives you the most options.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:29:32 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Since commercial breaks have gotten absurd now (particularly on hot
    >> shows like 24 or Desperate Housewives, where they have actually had to
    >> adjust content to end in weird places just to accomodate more ads....
    >
    >Ok, Here is something to think about, How many TV stations sell shows?
    >Come on, How many commericial TV stations sell shows (Yes, I do know
    >that some shows are syndicated and are indeed sold)
    >
    >The answer is "not many"
    >
    >How many SELL ADVERTISMENT time to advertisers (If you limit to
    >commericial stations, then the answer is ALL OF THEM, if you include
    >public television which is prohibited from carrying advertisment, then
    >the answer does not change cause they found a way around the prohobition
    >(This show brought to you by a grant from the MOBILE corporation)

    The PBS station here has had advertising for several years now. They
    put commercials (for companies like Microsoft and Sprint) after the
    program has been on for a comple of minutes.

    >So, what does this tell you... Simple, the PRODUCT the station sells is
    >advertising. The show is just filler placed between the ads.

    And some channels even show ads DURING the show. Some (but NOT ALL)
    are for the station itself. Some channels even use animation and
    sound.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:13:47 -0500, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

    >I've taken my personal time back with Replay. Hollywood would say I'm stealing from them;...

    Same argument made in the Betamax case; funny how the studios lose the case and now make more from VCRs and DVDs than theatrical showings (except, maybe, for some hit movies).

Ptv Replaytv Navigation