AMD vs. Nvidia(Open discussion)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

And your question to start the discussion is what?

Keep it civil folks. Attack ideas/opinions with facts, don't attack each other. Thanks.

Shubhanshu Mehra

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

I also believe that but after watch dogs and bf4 , I changed sides(amd)

Alex Kelly

Honorable
Can we please, please not start this 'discussion'.
Novuake is right. You get what you pay for, they are both equally money hungry brands, with similar reliability. Nvidia cards are perhaps a little more reliable in general, but not by much at all.

Ehh, I disagree. I don't think either is more reliable. I've had WAY more Nvidia cards crap out on me than AMD cards.

Jay Lavistria

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Honestly I just say cheap power is AMD
Power+luxury components is NVidia.

If you got the money I'd honestly go with NVidia:
GeForce Experience is a neat and cool looking program
A tad cooler
^therefore coolers spin a little less and are quieter

Strong power for cheap is AMD:
Much more cheaper than NVidia
Sometimes stronger in games with a Mantle supported engine
For people who arent sensitive to heat and noise.

Choose a path, you'll be fine either way.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
Yeah very true, they are pretty much just as reliable as each other. I've had some problems with AMD cards and none with Nvidia, but it varies for everyone.
Say, if you bought an AMD card and an Nvidia card, they both have about the same chance of being DOA, or failing. It more depends on the partners like MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc. :)

As the 14.2 driver is the only stable one that magically fixes all the "hardware problems" that manifest with any other driver I reckon Nvidia have the better drivers and as you need drivers to make the hardware work my vote is still with Nvidia.

I currently have two EVGA cards, but I do prefer AMD simply for price. Last summer we picked up an hd7850 for my GF (ASUS 2gb) and it only cost $79.99 NEW IN BOX.

I also seem to have the best luck with brands most people don't like.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Agreed. It seems a LOT of people are having problems with recent AMD drivers. Including 2 of my friends, that I built PCs for with AMD cards.
(A Gigabyte 290 and an MSI 270X).

I haven't had any issues with SLi be it on beta or WHQL's.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
I think the conclusion is that they're both very average brands that care little about their consumers, and they both have driver issues.
If there was any other GPU brand I'm sure they'd be so much better than both AMD and Nvidia. :p

There has always been a third brand and it hasn't turned out that way.

http://www.matrox.com/en/

Alex Kelly

Honorable
Nvidia; EVGA, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte.
AMD; Sapphire, Gigabyte.
Eh, I don't feel like they care as much as they should. :)
For example, they only really seem to release performance improvement drivers when they need to stay slightly ahead of the other brand. Especially Nvidia.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Remember when SiS, Intel, and assorted other discrete video cards were available?

Those were some real "winners".

Matrox is still hanging on, but I am not sure why. This has really become a 2 horse race (on the discrete device side of things).

EVGA are dirtbags as they tried to blatantly rip off Rivatuner/Afterbuner and claim it as their own and as such I will continue with my record of never owning one.