Has wireless throughput improved enough to switch from wir..

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Greetings All!

When I connected my Series 2 Tivos some years back for HMO, I went
with wired to get all the throughput I could from the USB 1.1 NIC's.
Now that wifi is up to 802.11g and beyond, would it make sense to
switch to wireless while I'm in the process of adding another Tivo? I
know I'll have to put out the cash for replacement NIC's and a new
router, but I'm really not looking forward to fishing more Cat 5
cable, especially if the wireless throughput will measure up. The
maximum distance from the router would be about 20 ft. through a
cement block wall. Thanks in advance!

-Barry
12 answers Last reply
More about wireless throughput improved switch wir
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <7f4g11lf8og8nvuap023odkakkth3paldr@4ax.com>,
    babeckns@nszoominternet.net says...
    > Greetings All!
    >
    > When I connected my Series 2 Tivos some years back for HMO, I went
    > with wired to get all the throughput I could from the USB 1.1 NIC's.
    > Now that wifi is up to 802.11g and beyond, would it make sense to
    > switch to wireless while I'm in the process of adding another Tivo? I
    > know I'll have to put out the cash for replacement NIC's and a new
    > router, but I'm really not looking forward to fishing more Cat 5
    > cable, especially if the wireless throughput will measure up. The
    > maximum distance from the router would be about 20 ft. through a
    > cement block wall. Thanks in advance!
    >
    > -Barry
    >


    You won't notice a difference.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "Barry" <babeckns@nszoominternet.net> wrote in message
    news:7f4g11lf8og8nvuap023odkakkth3paldr@4ax.com...
    > Greetings All!
    >
    > When I connected my Series 2 Tivos some years back for HMO, I went
    > with wired to get all the throughput I could from the USB 1.1 NIC's.
    > Now that wifi is up to 802.11g and beyond, would it make sense to
    > switch to wireless while I'm in the process of adding another Tivo? I
    > know I'll have to put out the cash for replacement NIC's and a new
    > router, but I'm really not looking forward to fishing more Cat 5
    > cable, especially if the wireless throughput will measure up. The
    > maximum distance from the router would be about 20 ft. through a
    > cement block wall. Thanks in advance!
    >
    > -Barry

    I don't think Tivo currently supports 11g but maybe that's changed in the
    last couple of months. I use my Tivo with an 11b USB adapter and my
    broadband (wireless) connection. It works just fine. Transfering Tivo
    programming with T2G is still slow but I don't think a wired connection
    would have a significant impact on improving the transfer speeds.

    TC
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:19:38 GMT, "Tony Clark"
    <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I don't think Tivo currently supports 11g but maybe that's changed in the
    >last couple of months. I use my Tivo with an 11b USB adapter and my
    >broadband (wireless) connection. It works just fine. Transfering Tivo
    >programming with T2G is still slow but I don't think a wired connection
    >would have a significant impact on improving the transfer speeds.


    I thought a USB 2.0 wired ethernet adaptor was all the rage...?
    Don't they plug the 802.11g access points into them and really up the
    speed?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "kryppy" <kryppy@gmail.cc> wrote in message
    news:3cts11tpq7kh805k9kim9vmkl5h6uon0im@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:19:38 GMT, "Tony Clark"
    > <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't think Tivo currently supports 11g but maybe that's changed in the
    >>last couple of months. I use my Tivo with an 11b USB adapter and my
    >>broadband (wireless) connection. It works just fine. Transfering Tivo
    >>programming with T2G is still slow but I don't think a wired connection
    >>would have a significant impact on improving the transfer speeds.
    >
    >
    > I thought a USB 2.0 wired ethernet adaptor was all the rage...?
    > Don't they plug the 802.11g access points into them and really up the
    > speed?

    I have been informed that there are at least 2 11g adapters that are
    supported by Tivo, or at least they are known to work. My understanding is
    that Tivo 2 does not have USB 2.0 so there's no gain there. It has been
    suggested that with USB 1.1 you won't see a significant improvement with 11g
    over 11b but I have never personally tested that theory so YMMV.

    Cheers
    TC
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Tony Clark wrote:

    > My understanding is
    > that Tivo 2 does not have USB 2.0 so there's no gain there. It has
    been
    > suggested that with USB 1.1 you won't see a significant improvement
    with 11g
    > over 11b but I have never personally tested that theory so YMMV.


    if USB 1.1 is the bottleneck, then wired ethernet and wireless g should
    be running at about the same speed. It seems like that is not the case
    and therefore I think that it is tivos wireless implementation that is
    causing the slow speeds.


    Mike Cardeiro
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <1109350597.798999.149230@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    <"mcardeiro@yahoo.com"> wrote:

    > Tony Clark wrote:
    >
    > > My understanding is
    > > that Tivo 2 does not have USB 2.0 so there's no gain there. It has
    > been
    > > suggested that with USB 1.1 you won't see a significant improvement
    > with 11g
    > > over 11b but I have never personally tested that theory so YMMV.
    >
    >
    > if USB 1.1 is the bottleneck, then wired ethernet and wireless g should
    > be running at about the same speed. It seems like that is not the case
    > and therefore I think that it is tivos wireless implementation that is
    > causing the slow speeds.
    >
    >
    > Mike Cardeiro

    Maybe there's a little confusion here. Comparing (nominal) data
    transfer speeds between various protocols yields the following (from
    slow to faster):

    128 kbps ISDN Dual Channel
    640 kbps ADSL (up to 3 Mbps)
    720 kbps Bluetooth wireless PAN (2.4 GHz band)
    2 Mbps Cable Modem (avg. depending on subscriber load)
    10 Mbps 10Base-T Ethernet
    11 Mbps Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b, 2.4 GHz band)
    12 Mbps Universal Serial Bus (USB)
    54 Mbps Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11a, 5 GHz band)
    54 Mbps Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11g, 2.4 GHz band)
    100 Mbps 100Base-T Ethernet (Fast Ethernet)
    100 Mbps Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11n)
    480 Mbps USB 2.0
    400 Mbps FireWire (IEEE 1394A)
    800 Mbps FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394B)
    1 Gbps Gigabit Ethernet


    Of course, most of these are maxed; real world numbers are slower,
    except perhaps for firewire -- still slower, but throughput faster than
    USB.

    For internet access, of course, anything on the LAN side of a cable
    modem is going to be so much faster than the internet connection that
    the cable modem is always goping to be the slowest part of the chain.

    Transferring large files on a LAN from a USB 1.xx port makes the choice
    of 802.11a or g moot, as the wireless LAN is always going to be much
    faster. Nobody ever got 11Mbps with 802.11b -- more like 5 or 6 Mbps,
    so USB 1.xx which might attain 6 or 7Mbps will be faster than b, but
    not nearly as fast as 11a or 11g, which realistically may achieve
    40Mbps.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:52:55 -0500, Barry wrote:

    > would it make sense to switch to wireless while I'm in the process of
    > adding another Tivo?

    Basically, no.

    The main draw of wireless is portability. Since the TiVo itself is
    tethered by a number of things other than an Ethernet cable, there really
    isn't much benefit to be had from wireless.

    If you want to spend more money on a less secure network, to save only the
    hassle of running a single cable, go right ahead. But it doesn't make a
    lot of sense in my book.

    --
    Lenroc
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 02:03:32 GMT, "Tony Clark"
    <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >
    >"kryppy" <kryppy@gmail.cc> wrote in message
    >news:3cts11tpq7kh805k9kim9vmkl5h6uon0im@4ax.com...
    >> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:19:38 GMT, "Tony Clark"
    >> <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't think Tivo currently supports 11g but maybe that's changed in the
    >>>last couple of months. I use my Tivo with an 11b USB adapter and my
    >>>broadband (wireless) connection. It works just fine. Transfering Tivo
    >>>programming with T2G is still slow but I don't think a wired connection
    >>>would have a significant impact on improving the transfer speeds.
    >>
    >>
    >> I thought a USB 2.0 wired ethernet adaptor was all the rage...?
    >> Don't they plug the 802.11g access points into them and really up the
    >> speed?
    >
    >I have been informed that there are at least 2 11g adapters that are
    >supported by Tivo, or at least they are known to work. My understanding is
    >that Tivo 2 does not have USB 2.0 so there's no gain there. It has been
    >suggested that with USB 1.1 you won't see a significant improvement with 11g
    >over 11b but I have never personally tested that theory so YMMV.
    >
    >Cheers
    >TC

    Thanks TC - OP here.

    I believe you are correct here that the USB 1.1 we're stuck with on
    the Series 2 units is the bottleneck to be concerned about. I had
    originally used wired connections to get as much of the USB 1.1
    throughput as possible because I thought that 802.11b throughput was
    somewhat less than the theoretical max for USB 1.1. Now that wireless
    has progressed to 802.11g and beyond I thought I might switch to
    wireless instead of fishing more cat 5 cable for my newest Tivo.

    The only thing I haven't done is make a trip to the Tivo web site and
    see if any USB->802.11g NIC's have been shown to work.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:52:55 -0500, Barry <babeckns@nszoominternet.net>
    wrote:

    >Greetings All!
    >
    >When I connected my Series 2 Tivos some years back for HMO, I went
    >with wired to get all the throughput I could from the USB 1.1 NIC's.
    >Now that wifi is up to 802.11g and beyond, would it make sense to
    >switch to wireless while I'm in the process of adding another Tivo? I
    >know I'll have to put out the cash for replacement NIC's and a new
    >router, but I'm really not looking forward to fishing more Cat 5
    >cable, especially if the wireless throughput will measure up. The
    >maximum distance from the router would be about 20 ft. through a
    >cement block wall. Thanks in advance!
    >
    >-Barry

    I'm not sure what is happening with my wireless TiVo system. After
    replacing the USB/11b adapter with a combination of USB/Ethernet and an
    11G wireless Ethernet Game adapter I saw a dramatic improvement in MRV
    transfers. The transfers easily stayed ahead of viewing. Then the TTG
    update occurred and transfers became a little slower than viewing. More
    recently, there have been additional updates to TiVo and the transfer rate
    is now very slow.

    I haven't looked into the performance of the 11G Game Adapter to see if
    something has degraded there. I just thought I'd wait awhile and see if
    yet additional updates might help.

    Anyone else have this experience?

    LB
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <1109350597.798999.149230@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, mcardeiro@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > Tony Clark wrote:
    >
    >> My understanding is
    >> that Tivo 2 does not have USB 2.0 so there's no gain there. It has
    > been
    >> suggested that with USB 1.1 you won't see a significant improvement
    > with 11g
    >> over 11b but I have never personally tested that theory so YMMV.
    >
    >
    > if USB 1.1 is the bottleneck, then wired ethernet and wireless g should
    > be running at about the same speed. It seems like that is not the case
    > and therefore I think that it is tivos wireless implementation that is
    > causing the slow speeds.

    Since no one else has mentioned it: TiVo has working USB 2.0 as of
    Version 7.1 (on all Series 2 except the very early ones with model
    numbers of the form 1xx (eg 140)). It almost doubles the speed of MRV
    (Multi-Room-Viewing) transfers but has almost no effect on TiVoToGo
    transfers, where the TiVo CPU is the bottleneck.

    Obviously the CPU is the bottleneck even for the MRV transfers given
    that the speed only doubles. 11g MRV transfers are slower than wired,
    supporting the Tivo CPU as the bottleneck.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    > Since no one else has mentioned it: TiVo has working USB 2.0 as of
    > Version 7.1 (on all Series 2 except the very early ones with model
    > numbers of the form 1xx (eg 140)). It almost doubles the speed of MRV
    > (Multi-Room-Viewing) transfers but has almost no effect on TiVoToGo
    > transfers, where the TiVo CPU is the bottleneck.
    >
    > Obviously the CPU is the bottleneck even for the MRV transfers given
    > that the speed only doubles. 11g MRV transfers are slower than wired,
    > supporting the Tivo CPU as the bottleneck.
    >

    Umm, actually, I believe I did, but you were more specific.

    Randy S.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Lenroc <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:

    > The main draw of wireless is portability. Since the TiVo itself is
    > tethered by a number of things other than an Ethernet cable, there really
    > isn't much benefit to be had from wireless.
    >
    > If you want to spend more money on a less secure network, to save only the
    > hassle of running a single cable, go right ahead. But it doesn't make a
    > lot of sense in my book.

    Depends on your layout. My TV room is 2 floors up and on the opposite
    side of a large house from my office where my computers are. I already
    have a WiFi station in the house to allow me to use my laptop in the
    garden, so setting up a WiFi connection to the TiVo would make great
    sense if performance were sufficient.

    Alas, I have a HD TiVo for DirecTV, so no TiVo-to-go, and thus no WiFi.
    :-(

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Tivo Wireless Tivo Switch