Is this a good $550 AMD budget build?

thomas7

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I'm working on building a cheap gaming computer for a friend. He hoped to get a price around $550, including the cost of the OS. This is what I've put together so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WtyD7P
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WtyD7P/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.00)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($155.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.00 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $518.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-04 14:16 EDT-0400

I wasn't able to find the RAM I was looking at on PC Part Picker, but it is listed below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313265
Team 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($35.99)

Grand Total: $554.81

My friend wanted a hard drive with at least 1tb. I believed it was okay to go with 4gb of RAM, even though the standard is 8gb. I didn't see any other place worth reducing to get an extra 4gb of RAM. The motherboard may seem expensive for this budget, however it is in a combo with the optical drive. Together, those two items get a $13 discount. There were some cheaper motherboards available, however I was worried by their lower ratings. The Gigabyte board was the cheapest I could find with an acceptable rating. In most cases, such as the motherboard and the GPU, the primary reason for going with a more expensive part was for a better rating. I welcome suggestions for cheaper components, however I only like the highly rated (within reason) ones.
For the CPU, I was trying to decide between the AMD 750k and the Intel G3220. I eventually decided to go with the 750k due to the fact that my friend has no intention of overclocking anything. That is also the reason for sticking with the stock cooler. I'm looking for a second opinion on this decision especially. My friend is only going to run games at a maximum of 1280x720 pixels, so the CPU doesn't have to be especially powerful. If you believe the G3220 (or a similar model) would be better suited, please recommend a reputable motherboard to go with it.

Thanks for you help! Please keep in mind the $550 budget. Mail-in Rebates are acceptable.

thomas7

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

I agree with you suggestion. My friend wanted to start with 4gb as he'll be playing mostly source based games. However, if the RAM doesn't appear to be enough, we can throw in another 4gb stick.

The RE4 hard drive is for video surveilance . Change to a Blue

The Athlon X4 760K is a better processor for a few dollars more

4 gig of RAM is enough , even for gaming . Almost all games are 32 bit programs and cant use more than about 3.2 gig of RAM . You will lose a tiny fraction of performance but not more . Dont try and multitask too much though or you may get slow downs

thomas7

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

I know my friend doesn't want to, but would it be easy to overclock the 750k to give it similar performance to the 760k? If I did it, I would want to do it on the stock cooler.
He plans to use this computer for gaming and nothing else. There shouldn't be too many start-up programs running, or any multitasking. I'm going to tell him to shut off his computer when he isn't using it so the RAM will clear. Thanks for your help!

The 760K is an updated core architecture and often overclocks better .
760 is Richland , the 750 is trinity based

You cant just OC a 750 and get the same thing

There is OC headroom on both the athlons . The cooler can handle the cpu cores and the [disabled] graphics cores , so its possible to push the cpu cores higher . Adding a better cooler later on should be an option too though

thomas7

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Ah, I see that now. I will definitely have to give my CPU choice some more thought. Thanks for the help!