Tivo=poor resolution vs DVD recorder!

Is there a reason why a program would have a grainier picture when
recorded on a tivo in best quality than a programe recorded on a DVD
recorder at HQ? These are hooked up using the same cables and wires so
it isn't the hook up. Is there some kind of filter or processer on the
tivo that would cause a small loss of signal that a DVD recorder doesn't
have? This difference is evident even when recording an external source
like a camcorder.
6 answers Last reply
More about tivo poor resolution dvd recorder

    lolajoker@webtv.net wrote:

    > Is there a reason why a program would have a grainier picture when
    > recorded on a tivo in best quality than a programe recorded on a DVD
    > recorder at HQ?

    Because that DVD recorder didn't cost $100.

    -Eric

    Different recorders will have different encoders. Apparently the one in
    your DVD recorder does a "better" job that the one in the Tivo.

    It's a trade off between convenience and technical purity. It's certainly
    technically possible for a DVR to have better encoders but those would come
    at a higher unit cost as well as reduction in available recording time.
    Higher quality recording would take up a LOT more disk space and thus reduce
    the number of storable hours.

    -Bill Kearney

    <lolajoker@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a reason why a program would have a grainier picture when
    > recorded on a tivo in best quality than a programe recorded on a DVD
    > recorder at HQ? These are hooked up using the same cables and wires so
    > it isn't the hook up. Is there some kind of filter or processer on the
    > tivo that would cause a small loss of signal that a DVD recorder doesn't
    > have? This difference is evident even when recording an external source
    > like a camcorder.

    <lolajoker@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a reason why a program would have a grainier picture when
    > recorded on a tivo in best quality than a programe recorded on a DVD
    > recorder at HQ? These are hooked up using the same cables and wires so
    > it isn't the hook up. Is there some kind of filter or processer on the
    > tivo that would cause a small loss of signal that a DVD recorder doesn't
    > have? This difference is evident even when recording an external source
    > like a camcorder.

    The video signals may actually be grainy but the DVDR has a smoothing filter
    whereas the TiVo doesn't really except for the RF in smoothing option. You
    could try TiVo on HIGH instead of BEST. Also, VBR (save disk space) option
    reduces some video noise. The early days of digital video produced very
    grainy pictures that were eventually fixed not with higher resolution but
    with smoothing filters because a blurry picture is more natural to humans
    than a digitally noisy picture.

    Also, when captureing previously compressed signals (miniDV, cable, digital
    cable) there can be nasty interactions between the errors produced by the
    multiple MPEG encoders involved. Digital cable is especially bad this way
    because it gets recompressed 3x or 4x by the time you watch it (producer
    analong or digital > sat distro > cable recode > TiVo recode > watching).
    Not to mention the scaleing and rescaleing if you have an HDTV. Depending
    on the settings used some combinations of encoders will produce more noise
    than others. This doesn't automatically mean that each encoder is better or
    worse but that the combination is bad. You can see the effect for yourself
    if you take a high quality digital photo and decompress and recompress it 4x
    and then rescale it a couple of times and then compare it to the orginal.
    The TV, especially HDTV that we see is nowhere near the quality possible
    because the distrabution channel is not well designed.

    lolajoker@webtv.net wrote:
    > Is there a reason why a program would have a grainier picture when
    > recorded on a tivo in best quality than a programe recorded on a DVD
    > recorder at HQ? These are hooked up using the same cables and wires so
    > it isn't the hook up. Is there some kind of filter or processer on the
    > tivo that would cause a small loss of signal that a DVD recorder doesn't
    > have? This difference is evident even when recording an external source
    > like a camcorder.

    When Tivo was introduced, the only competition was the VCR. Design-wise,
    the video quality only had to be as good as or somewhat better than your
    tapes that were recorded on EP to be 'good enough'. I get much better
    quality recordings than TIVO with my ADVC100 but it also takes 6G of
    disk space to record an episode of the Simpsons as an AVI. That kind of
    quality would have meant less than one hour of capacity on the original
    Tivos at a much higher cost.

    Jim

    <lolajoker@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a reason why a program would have a grainier picture when
    > recorded on a tivo in best quality than a programe recorded on a DVD
    > recorder at HQ? These are hooked up using the same cables and wires so
    > it isn't the hook up. Is there some kind of filter or processer on the
    > tivo that would cause a small loss of signal that a DVD recorder doesn't
    > have? This difference is evident even when recording an external source
    > like a camcorder.

    Could be a cable issue if you are using different cables for your
    connections. Worth a look.

    Rick

    "Rick S." <rsemo51@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > <lolajoker@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >> Is there a reason why a program would have a grainier picture when
    >> recorded on a tivo in best quality than a programe recorded on a DVD
    >> recorder at HQ? These are hooked up using the same cables and wires so
    >> it isn't the hook up. Is there some kind of filter or processer on the
    >> tivo that would cause a small loss of signal that a DVD recorder doesn't
    >> have? This difference is evident even when recording an external source
    >> like a camcorder.
    >>
    > Could be a cable issue if you are using different cables for your
    > connections. Worth a look.
    >
    > Rick

    Oops, I shouldd read your post better, sorry.

Ptv Tivo Tivo DVD Resolution