Asus Maximus VI Hero VS Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
So as some people may imagine, there can be a hard time deciding what to pick. I've found the Maximus board from a trusted seller for about $134, and I will get the CPU seperately. And I've found the Gigabyte board along with the same CPU I want and it would cost me about the same as the other combo I would get.
As you may know, the Asus has a dedicated audio chip, and just looks awesome. The Gigabyte also has similar features.
Can someone tell me what each motherboard has that the other doesn't? And which one would be a better value?
Thanks!

If I were you, I'd get the gigabyte, because if you got a z87 board now, when you want to upgrade cpu, you may have to get a new motherboard, whereas if you get a z97 board now, you may not have to change motherboard if you upgraded the cpu

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

True, but I am planning on not having to upgrade my setup in terms of CPU in a while after this. I've heard that Skylake will have it's own chipset and possibly a new socket. Is this true?

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

Lol you're looking at the Micro ATX version of my motherboard but I know that it is newer.

I don't know sorry :) But if you are okay with BIOS updates and not planning to upgrade for a while, then I'd go for the hero, mainly because you say you can get it for $134, whereas it normally retails for much higher, and it was one of the best z87 boards out there, so under your circumstances, a hero may be better as components used are better and the BIOS is quite user friendly

people don't really tend to upgrade from 4th to 5th, especially with i5's and i7's. People tend to upgrade from 2nd to 4th, 3rd to possibly 5th. It depends on what the user decides, but many people don't just upgrade every time something newer comes out. Similar with graphics cards, if someone has a 7950 they most likely won't go to the R9 200 series as for many people it isn't worth it for them, so they predominantly choose to go for the generation after that.