TiVo Series 1 to DVD

What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out and
RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to sink
some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).

Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for scheduling
shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?

- David
17 answers Last reply
More about tivo series dvd

    "David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
    > and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out and
    > RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to
    > sink
    > some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).
    >
    > Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
    > DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for
    > scheduling
    > shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?
    >
    > - David

    All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your pc,
    and then can be transferred to dvd. Go to www.tivo.com, and follow the links
    for TivoToGo. You would need a usb-ethernet adapter also, to connect your
    tivo to your network. Some folks also use wireless usb adapters. Only
    specific adapters work with tivo, you have to check that out on the tivo
    website also.

    As far as transferring recordings via the analogue outputs of a Series 1,
    you would need some kind of adapter for your pc, either a dedicated I/O card
    or box to convert composite signals to digital, or a VIVO video card. This
    is a market that is continually evolving, I can't reccommend a specific
    product, maybe someone else can. There will be some loss, the amount varies
    depending on both the hardware and software you use. I would be much more
    inclined to use a series 2 box.

    With series 2 boxes, there is a 3rd option, which is hacking your tivo. This
    is not a project for the faint of heart, as there is a steep learning curve
    getting started. It can be rewarding, however, as you can enhance your tivo
    significantly. Dealdatabase forum is the place to go to learn about it. Be
    advised that the folks there expect you to put in a fair amount of effort on
    your own.

    Rick

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:16:23 -0600, Rick S. wrote:

    > All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your pc,

    s/have/will have

    Not all SA Series 2 TiVos have been upgraded to the software version (7.x)
    that enables TivoToGo yet.

    --
    Lenroc

    "Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:16:23 -0600, Rick S. wrote:
    >
    >> All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your pc,
    >
    > s/have/will have
    >
    > Not all SA Series 2 TiVos have been upgraded to the software version (7.x)
    > that enables TivoToGo yet.
    >
    > --
    > Lenroc
    True, but it's only a matter of time. The big question seems to be -- how
    much time.

    >>>All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your pc,
    >>
    >>s/have/will have
    >>
    >>Not all SA Series 2 TiVos have been upgraded to the software version (7.x)
    >>that enables TivoToGo yet.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Lenroc
    >
    > True, but it's only a matter of time. The big question seems to be -- how
    > much time.

    It seems like they've been accelerating the upgrade schedule, fortunately.

    Randy S.

    "Rick S." <r51@mail.com> wrote in news:1yPPd.1357$gr5.911@fe07.lga:

    > All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your
    > pc, and then can be transferred to dvd. Go to www.tivo.com, and follow

    Countdown until a few thousand people who are still waiting jump on you for
    that sweeping generalization:

    5...4...3...

    1. Get a TivoNet board, hack your TiVo to install TivoWeb and MSFTP
    server. You can then download the files from the TiVo, use some of the
    TyStudio tools to convert to plain old MPEG-2 files. This is how I do
    it, I can fill in details later if you like, or provide references to
    info on various web sites.

    2. Send the TiVo video out to a PC TV board (or USB adapter) that will
    allow you to record from the TiVo or off the air to the PC.

    #1 requires you be comfortable opening the Tivo, putting the drive
    inside you pc, editing & copying files, knowing a bit about FTP
    programs. But I find it fun and rewarding to hack at it. You also get
    the raw mpeg data right from the TiVo, not converted.

    #2 is quite easy technically. You will be using the TiVo analog out and
    then reconverting to digital, so it is subject to quality loss to some
    degree.

    David D. wrote:
    > What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
    > and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out and
    > RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to sink
    > some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).
    >
    > Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
    > DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for scheduling
    > shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?
    >
    > - David

    Jerry,

    I have a 120 MB drive, anyway, that I am planning to add to my TiVo some
    day when I get time to do all the Linux prep.

    Perhaps it wouldn't be much additional work to add the etherrnet and FTP
    hardware and software at the same time. Can you point me to some