add 5504 without service to network units?

Ive already got a 5504 with lifetime activation.. and I recently
upgraded it to 160gigs.. But I would like to be able to watch shows
in the back room..

I see the 5504 is selling pretty cheap without service.. so I was
thinking about adding another one in the back, and connecting it to my
tv with the sole purpose of watching shows recorded on the other unit,
or pausing live tv.. no channel guide or clock needed..

is there any reason why this would be a bad idea, or not work?
12 answers Last reply
More about add 5504 service network units

    Cindy wrote:
    > is there any reason why this would be a bad idea, or not work?

    Sounds like a great idea for users, but since it'd be a definite money
    losing proposition for ReplayTV, it won't work. Everything I've read
    says that if the unit is not activated (lifetime or monthly), it's a
    door stop.

    If you've got a spare computer lying around with an ethernet port, and
    it's capable of running Java, you could do half of what you want with
    the DVArchive software. For $40, you can get a decent TV tuner card for
    a PC with remote that lets you pause live TV, though it takes some CPU
    horsepower and hard drive space to to that. For $100, you can have a TV
    tuner card with hardware mpeg2 encoding that would work better,
    including on lesser PC hardware.

    --
    I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
    legitimate replies.

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 02:45:26 GMT, Victor Kan
    <victor@usenet.NO_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote:

    >Cindy wrote:
    >> is there any reason why this would be a bad idea, or not work?
    >
    >Sounds like a great idea for users, but since it'd be a definite money
    >losing proposition for ReplayTV, it won't work. Everything I've read
    >says that if the unit is not activated (lifetime or monthly), it's a
    >door stop.
    >
    >If you've got a spare computer lying around with an ethernet port, and
    >it's capable of running Java, you could do half of what you want with
    >the DVArchive software. For $40, you can get a decent TV tuner card for
    >a PC with remote that lets you pause live TV, though it takes some CPU
    >horsepower and hard drive space to to that. For $100, you can have a TV
    >tuner card with hardware mpeg2 encoding that would work better,
    >including on lesser PC hardware.

    Or, you could just distribute the video output of the Replay
    throughout your house. I've done that for as long as I've had a Replay
    (I had one of the first 2020 Replays, with v1 software).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message > Or, you could just
    distribute the video output of the Replay
    > throughout your house. I've done that for as long as I've had a Replay
    > (I had one of the first 2020 Replays, with v1 software).

    Is there a way to control the Replay from other rooms?

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:49:19 -0500, "dmg" <dmg@dmg.com> wrote:

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message > Or, you could just
    >distribute the video output of the Replay
    >> throughout your house. I've done that for as long as I've had a Replay
    >> (I had one of the first 2020 Replays, with v1 software).
    >>

    >Is there a way to control the Replay from other rooms?

    My first such setup used the IR/RF/IR "pyramid" remote extenders, but
    these are unreliable (much more so as your A/V system becomes more
    complex).

    You can use a remote control such as the MX-800 with RF
    (http://www.universalremote.com/htm/mx800/index.html) which is a good
    remote control with a lot of features (including the use of a PC to
    program, and you can program multiple remotes identically if you want)
    but it's expensive . You can save some money by ordering it from
    Etronics.com at
    http://etronics.resultspage.com/display.php?w=MX-800&p=Q&ts=dynamic&Store=&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

    For less money, there's the Xantech system
    (http://www.smarthome.com/8197.html) that sends signals over the
    existing cable.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    I use a video/audio/remotecontrol wireless transmitter/reciever for
    the bedroom. Works perfect.

    Bestbuy has it for $79.99
    www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806293811&skuId=5280769&type=product

    Amazon 3rd party store has it for $59.00 new.
    www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B0002MID6O/all/ref=dp_pb_a/102-4852464-4089726

    Mine works across the whole house.

    BOATANCHOR on second replaytv without service.

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:01:28 -0500, nospamcoming@me.com wrote:

    >I use a video/audio/remotecontrol wireless transmitter/reciever for
    >the bedroom. Works perfect.
    >
    >Bestbuy has it for $79.99
    >www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806293811&skuId=5280769&type=product
    >
    >Amazon 3rd party store has it for $59.00 new.
    >www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B0002MID6O/all/ref=dp_pb_a/102-4852464-4089726

    The one I have (not that model, but does use 2.4GHz) provides a FREE
    "microwave oven in use" indicator (it won't work).

    >Mine works across the whole house.
    >
    >BOATANCHOR on second replaytv without service.
    >
    >>Ive already got a 5504 with lifetime activation.. and I recently
    >>upgraded it to 160gigs.. But I would like to be able to watch shows
    >>in the back room..
    >>
    >>I see the 5504 is selling pretty cheap without service.. so I was
    >>thinking about adding another one in the back, and connecting it to my
    >>tv with the sole purpose of watching shows recorded on the other unit,
    >>or pausing live tv.. no channel guide or clock needed..
    >>
    >>is there any reason why this would be a bad idea, or not work?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    i was under the impression that if you dont pay for service.. the
    clock would drift way off, and you wouldnt get channel guides.. but
    that it would continue to work to play tv through and to pause live
    television..
    If this was the case, i didnt understand why it couldnt be networked
    with another one that has service and be used to watch shows in the
    other room..

    what exactly happens if you dont pay for service?
    does it self destruct?

    >Sounds like a great idea for users, but since it'd be a definite money
    >losing proposition for ReplayTV, it won't work. Everything I've read
    >says that if the unit is not activated (lifetime or monthly), it's a
    >door stop.

    >what exactly happens if you dont pay for service?
    >does it self destruct?

    Yes. It has a number of things that stop working, making it useless.

    Without activation it just lies dormant. The fact is that you've
    purchased fully working machine for $400. $100 is paid att he store when
    you buy the unit and the rest is paid either monthly or at a flat rate
    when you use it. The box states that the unit requires activation to use
    it and they are indeed serious.

    From:Cindy
    cindy@hotmail.com

    > i was under the impression that if you dont pay for service.. the
    > clock would drift way off, and you wouldnt get channel guides.. but
    > that it would continue to work to play tv through and to pause live
    > television..
    > If this was the case, i didnt understand why it couldnt be networked
    > with another one that has service and be used to watch shows in the
    > other room..
    >
    > what exactly happens if you dont pay for service?
    > does it self destruct?
    >
    >> Sounds like a great idea for users, but since it'd be a definite
    >> money losing proposition for ReplayTV, it won't work. Everything
    >> I've read says that if the unit is not activated (lifetime or
    >> monthly), it's a door stop.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <qoqa015fum446ku3r730djhtl4dsfpcqgv@4ax.com>,
    Cindy <cindy@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > i was under the impression that if you dont pay for service.. the
    > clock would drift way off, and you wouldnt get channel guides.. but
    > that it would continue to work to play tv through and to pause live
    > television..

    Not ReplayTV. An older Tivo, maybe, but not a Replay.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >In article <qoqa015fum446ku3r730djhtl4dsfpcqgv@4ax.com>,
    > Cindy <cindy@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> i was under the impression that if you dont pay for service.. the
    >> clock would drift way off, and you wouldnt get channel guides.. but
    >> that it would continue to work to play tv through and to pause live
    >> television..
    >Not ReplayTV. An older Tivo, maybe, but not a Replay.

    Not what? An older Replay - meaning a 1000/2000/3000/4000 series unit
    came with lifetime. So if you acquire one it should have full
    functionality without paying for any service - it was paid for.

    The 4500 and up have the monthly/lifetime service option - and they're
    pretty much boat anchors without service, as I understand it.

    With TiVo, the old Series1 units will act as a basic DVR without a
    subscription. And there is the monthly/lifetime service option.

    Most Seires2 TiVos are boat anchors unless they have monthly/lifetime
    service. The exceptions are the Toshiba and Pioneer units, which
    include TiVo Basic when purchased. So without a 'TiVo Plus' service
    subscription, they fall back to TiVo Basic.

    You can get a Toshiba SD-H400 for around $200, and it has TiVo Basic.
    It is a discontinued model - a progressive scan DVD player with an 80
    hour TiVo integrated. Toshiba moved on to the RS-TX20 and RS-TX60 DVD
    Recorders with TiVo and discontined the older unit.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > The one I have (not that model, but does use 2.4GHz) provides a FREE
    > "microwave oven in use" indicator (it won't work).

    hilarious!
    mine also includes a FREE "2.4ghz cordless phone in use" indicator
    and I must have the deluxe model because it detects my neighbors' use of
    microwaves and cordless phones... just a screen of static and loud buzzing.
    .... unusable...

    And then there are periods of time during which it just pops about
    twice a second for about an hour. Not sure what's causing that!
    I can still watch shows but it's annoying.

Ptv Replaytv TV ReplayTV