TTG problem - media access key

Signed up for the priority update back in mid-january. The update came
down this morning. Restarted it and it came up fine. Running 7.1a-
xxxx. Here's the problem: installed tivodesktop 2.0 and went I go to
look for recordings to transfer it says something about:

"There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected
DVR..."

It then said that tivodesktop is unable to contact the selected DVR
(which makes no sense, as on the tivo itself, i can browse My Music on
my PC...) When I went to check the TIVO, I noticed a new "Media Access
Key" menu entry, but it says:

Media Access Key: Temporarily not available.

Do I need to wait? Restart again? Do another service connect? I did
verify that transfers are enabled...
9 answers Last reply
More about ttg problem media access key

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:53:12 -0500, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>
    wrote:

    >Signed up for the priority update back in mid-january. The update came
    >down this morning. Restarted it and it came up fine. Running 7.1a-
    >xxxx. Here's the problem: installed tivodesktop 2.0 and went I go to
    >look for recordings to transfer it says something about:
    >
    >"There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected
    >DVR..."
    >
    >It then said that tivodesktop is unable to contact the selected DVR
    >(which makes no sense, as on the tivo itself, i can browse My Music on
    >my PC...) When I went to check the TIVO, I noticed a new "Media Access
    >Key" menu entry, but it says:
    >
    >Media Access Key: Temporarily not available.
    >
    >Do I need to wait? Restart again? Do another service connect? I did
    >verify that transfers are enabled...

    I had a similar problem but I had upgraded my 2nd TiVo to a larger hard
    drive using the image from my 1st TiVo which already had TTG.

    I did a couple of things, not sure which finally resolved the problem. I
    signed up for a priority update download to the 2nd TiVo and I cycled the
    OK-to-Transfer status on the 2nd TiVo (see preferences in your TiVo
    account.) I noticed a longer-than-usual download and sure enough, there
    was the MAK.

    Good luck.

    LB

    Never mind. Did a manual update and all is well :)

    crossing messages - LOL. anyway, another oddity i noticed is that the
    tivodesktop installer will NOT let you use a network folder for "My TiVo
    Recordings". It pops back to the same file browser window and demands
    to tell it where to put the folder. A bummer, since I have My Documents
    on a FreeBSD server in the basement, and I have to make an exception on
    the C driver for this one folder. Ah well...

    The issue here is that your media key hasn't been set by that Tivo
    mother ship. Reconnecting to the Tivo service will set your key and
    then your good to go.

    dmiyares@gmail.com wrote:
    > The issue here is that your media key hasn't been set by that Tivo
    > mother ship. Reconnecting to the Tivo service will set your key and
    > then your good to go.

    Yep. Same thing happened to me. A manual reconnect fixed.

    Looks like Tivo must have worked the kinks out of the first TTG release,
    because updates seem to be fast and furious now. Got mine on Wednesday
    night, have transferred over a couple of programs.

    As much complaining that's been thrown around, I find it incredibly easy
    to use. My computer wouldn't see any recordings at first for some
    reason, but a reboot fixed that. I wish transfers could be faster, but
    there's obviously limitations somewhere, and I can live with it.

    Randy S.

    In article <1108175496.180356.91880@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    dmiyares@gmail.com says...
    > The issue here is that your media key hasn't been set by that Tivo
    > mother ship. Reconnecting to the Tivo service will set your key and
    > then your good to go.

    you're responding to the wrong message? yes, i did get the key finally.
    doesn't explain why MyTiVoRecordings can't be on a network share?

    > Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
    > > crossing messages - LOL. anyway, another oddity i noticed is that
    > the
    > > tivodesktop installer will NOT let you use a network folder for "My
    > TiVo
    > > Recordings". It pops back to the same file browser window and
    > demands
    > > to tell it where to put the folder. A bummer, since I have My
    > Documents
    > > on a FreeBSD server in the basement, and I have to make an exception
    > on
    > > the C driver for this one folder. Ah well...

    > you're responding to the wrong message? yes, i did get the key finally.
    > doesn't explain why MyTiVoRecordings can't be on a network share?

    Maybe it doesn't work with UNC paths? Have your tried mapping a drive
    letter to the network share and then placing the recordings on the
    mapped letter?

    Randy S.

    In article <cul7c7$q9e$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com
    says...

    > > you're responding to the wrong message? yes, i did get the key finally.
    > > doesn't explain why MyTiVoRecordings can't be on a network share?
    >
    > Maybe it doesn't work with UNC paths? Have your tried mapping a drive
    > letter to the network share and then placing the recordings on the
    > mapped letter?

    No joy. It ends up displaying the UNC path anyway, and everytime I
    attempt to do anything, it pops up the file browser window, telling me
    the folder has been deleted, changed or moved, etc...

    In article <cul07c$k76$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, Randy S. wrote:
    > dmiyares@gmail.com wrote:
    >> The issue here is that your media key hasn't been set by that Tivo
    >> mother ship. Reconnecting to the Tivo service will set your key and
    >> then your good to go.
    >
    > Yep. Same thing happened to me. A manual reconnect fixed.
    >
    > Looks like Tivo must have worked the kinks out of the first TTG release,
    > because updates seem to be fast and furious now. Got mine on Wednesday
    > night, have transferred over a couple of programs.
    >
    > As much complaining that's been thrown around, I find it incredibly easy
    > to use. My computer wouldn't see any recordings at first for some
    > reason, but a reboot fixed that. I wish transfers could be faster, but
    > there's obviously limitations somewhere, and I can live with it.
    >
    > Randy S.

    I got my TTG upgrade Wednesday, everything worked perfectly for me the
    first time. One hour Best Quality transfer take about 40 minutes, I set
    it to transfer about 8 hours of shows the first night. I downloaded the
    free trial version of the Sonic software and have burned 7 DVDs so far
    (archiving Deadwood and Carnivale), no problems yet.

    Liking it so far,
    Jim

Ptv Tivo Tivo