Upgrading Athlon II x3 455 CPU

Drhankeey

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Hey, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU (mainly because it's not performing optimal for gaming anymore, WoW raids, MMO's in general just perform poorly). But I'm not sure where to look and what works for my motherboard.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P (AMD 760G/SB710/rev.3.1), the box says it has AM3+ socket support but I did some reading on the internet and seems it's not exactly the case (I believe because it has to be "95 Watt" and the "125 Watt" CPU's are too high?). So I looked up all the compatible CPU's according to this site: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-78LMT-S2P(rev._3.1).html

What would be the best CPU to replace mine with? I was thinking of a AMD Phenom II X4, but I do not know exactly which would be best?

As I said it's just mainly for gaming. I also wish to upgrade my GPU with it as well (got a AMD Radeon HD6850), but for now I think my CPU is the biggest bottleneck.
Thanks

Drhankeey

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

That one isnt on the supported list for my MB on that site though, I believe since its 125 Watt. However I saw that the AMD FX-8300 IS supported since it runs at 95 Watt, how would that one compare to the rest for gaming? It has 8 cores though, not sure if that would be the best (doubt many games support 8 cores yet).

PC Part Picker is a trusted site used for making rigs all over the world. Its shows your MoBo supports the CPU, Wattage isn't MoBo's concern. Provide me your complete general info of the build (GPU, RAM, PSU) and I shall confirm the aforementioned.
If power is a concern, the FX 8300 is a better CPU, but sadly not many games utilize more than 4 cores. a 3.9GHz hexa can usually beat a 3.5 GHz octa on high settings with latest games. But it's never like a 3.5 GHz won't be able to handle latest titles. The difference in performance can be seen better in CPU intensive tasks, not in games, until its the latest and most CPU consuming game whose minimum requirements is atleast 3.2GHz like Watch Dogs.

The site I suggested shows that 6120 isn't compatible with your MoBo. Precaution is better than cure, so you may choose from any of the following:
ddglc1.png

Drhankeey

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

Thanks, seems the site I looked up might not be 100% correct. Then.. does it matter if the CPU uses 95Watt or 125Watt? I swear I read in a discussion that my MoBo couldn't support those of 125Watt, but I'm kind of clueless on this subject.

Either way I do see that the FX-6300 looks similar to the 6350 that you suggested, but the 6300 uses 95 Watt. How do they both compare?

Drhankeey

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Actually I just checked the official Gigabyte website for the supported CPU's for my Mobo, neither the 6300 or 6350 are listed (and the FX-6120 is actually listed, perhaps the site your using doesnt use the correct version for my MoBo? Aka rev.3.1?):
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3833

And according to that list, perhaps the FX-6200 is a better choice for me then? Slightly lower performance then the FX-6300 it seems.

That's kind of weird since I've recommended MoBos and CPUs to many people after confirming compatibility through this site and never got an incompatibility complaint. I'm sure the official website won't be lying about this, so the FX 6120 is the only choice left.

Drhankeey

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

Yea it's pretty confusing, but I'll check at the FX-6120 and FX-6200 and decide later depending on the prices.

I'll go with 6200 any day, because of higher clock speed, but one subject of concern is its wattage.
My advice, Power efficient and powerful CPU=6120, Very powerful CPU=6200. 3.8GHz will add a couple of FPS to your games, but is very power hungry.

TRENDING THREADS