chroma noise reduction??

does anybody know of a good method to reduce chroma noise reduction?
preferably some sort of analog box i can use on the TV but software would
be great too!

anybody know anything about this, or will i just have to get a good
laserdisc player? lol... man i hope not, i couldn't afford a REAL good one
right now.

thanks!
-Mike
9 answers Last reply
More about chroma noise reduction

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:32:27 -0500, "half_eaten"
    <half_eaten@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >reduce chroma noise reduction?

    Uhh...

    >preferably some sort of analog box i can use on the TV but software would
    >be great too!

    AviSynth kicks ass.

    On my HLD X9, if I want to "reduce chroma noise reduction", I just turn
    of the digital video noise reduction altogether!
    Kevin

    Come on you guys know that's a typo. I'm not that stupid!

    I was thinking of programming my own software to attempt to take care of
    this.. could average the frame to the left and right of that pixel with
    the pixel in the middle and mix them together at a ratio determined by the
    color strength of that pixel.

    for example if there the color isn't very strong, it won't blend much at
    all, but if it's say a VERY bright red or blue it would mix the pixels
    together quite a bit. this should smooth out chroma noise. plus since LDs
    are only 425 pixels horizontal resolution this wouldn't cause too much
    loss of sharpness.

    what do you think?
    -Mike

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:03:24 -0500, "half_eaten"
    <half_eaten@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I was thinking of programming my own software to attempt to take care of
    >[chroma noise]
    >
    >what do you think?

    I think the wheel you're looking for has already been invented. Check
    out the AviSynth homepage, and Doom9 -- there are lots and lots of
    third-party filters and scripts written that are (no offense!) much
    more sophisticated than what you're proposing.

    In article <46882a5be3f335ad36ac936469ba6f60@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
    "half_eaten" <half_eaten@nospam.yahoo.com> writes:
    > I was thinking of programming my own software to attempt to take care of
    > this.. could average the frame to the left and right of that pixel with
    > the pixel in the middle and mix them together at a ratio determined by the
    > color strength of that pixel.
    >
    > for example if there the color isn't very strong, it won't blend much at
    > all, but if it's say a VERY bright red or blue it would mix the pixels
    > together quite a bit. this should smooth out chroma noise. plus since LDs
    > are only 425 pixels horizontal resolution this wouldn't cause too much
    > loss of sharpness.

    You are considering an ah-hoc (not necessarily bad) nonlinear digital
    filter. If you have had some training in digital filtering, I'd suggest
    doing a little more research, and also doing some 3D filtering (doing
    some frame averaging.) All of the filtering techniques should likely
    take advantage of some nonlinear processing (changing the amount of
    filtering or averaging based upon signal characteristics.)

    You can do a reasonably good job without a theoretical background.
    If you use several techniques, you might get a 3dB (or maybe more)
    noise reduction. If you use several high power techniques, you might
    be able to get alot more... When I use lots of NR (both SW and HW),
    I can do a capture that looks ALMOST like a 'soft' DVD from an
    LD... (The resolution is like a very good LD, and the SNR is FAIRLY
    CLOSE to a moderately good DVD, with very good detail but very low
    HF noise.)

    Being more specific, what you are doing is doing 2D filtering, and the
    video signal is already significantly filtered in the HORIZONTAL
    direction, but there is some potential benefit in the vertical direction
    (especially if you do the averaging between fields -- directly adjacent
    lines, and mitigate SOME of the loss in vertical resolution.) This entails
    a delay that is a full field (because adjacent interlaced lines are actually
    the full field time away.) If the two fields are very different, then they
    shouldn't be averaged. If the difference is between fields minimal, then you
    can do significant amounts of averaging without too much damage.

    Avoid the RGB domain for most of your filtering and look towards the
    Y-Cb-Cr type domain or HVS (if you are a little more aggressive.) Frankly,
    you might be able to take advantage of working in both domains.

    John

    Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to starting doing some programming
    tonight and start with what I was talking about, and once that part's
    done, I can take some of these other ideas into consideration and see how
    well some of these different methods work out.

    I have a couple LDs here that have TERRIBLE chroma noise but are good
    movies and I wanted to fix it as much as I could.

    -Mike

    In article <fqpd011kvv54cept77el4mnpbug042bnr1@4ax.com>,
    Karyudo <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> writes:
    > On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:03:24 -0500, "half_eaten"
    > <half_eaten@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I was thinking of programming my own software to attempt to take care of
    >>[chroma noise]
    >>
    >>what do you think?
    >
    > I think the wheel you're looking for has already been invented. Check
    > out the AviSynth homepage, and Doom9 -- there are lots and lots of
    > third-party filters and scripts written that are (no offense!) much
    > more sophisticated than what you're proposing.

    It is pretty clear that he wanted to try to learn a little. Of course,
    those who have alot of programming (and DSP) experience will do much better
    :-).

    John

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:09:46 -0500, "half_eaten"
    <half_eaten@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to starting doing some programming
    >tonight and start with what I was talking about, and once that part's
    >done, I can take some of these other ideas into consideration and see how
    >well some of these different methods work out.

    If you're into programming, then AviSynth is probably even more
    logical as a place to start! You don't have to write any of the
    overhead junk; that's all taken care of. All you have to do is
    concentrate on writing up some C (of some flavour) to take care of
    your particular CNR problem. Not being a programmer myself or
    anything, I can still imagine that you'd be able to pile through
    several iterations of a half_eaten_CNR plugin for AviSynth before
    you'd even have half the other stuff needed for a standalone app
    debugged.

Laser Disc Players Video Software