VideoCipher II & PowerVu

Is 4dtv going to be able to decipher the PowerVu, or our we going to need a
new IRD again. Turner is switching to this encryption. Is it just a mater of
time before they all switch over. Making our 4dtv worthless. NPS is
advertising 4dtv for a special offer of $379.00 that's 52% off the retail
price of $799.99. I am not sure if they are dumping, or if Motorola is. I
haven't seen any advertisements or new Hdd200 for HD in a few years. I
wonder if Motorola has any plans to build a new HD -IRD's. Or are we being
forced to get rid of our BUD's.

Jack
7 answers Last reply
More about videocipher powervu
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    jack96620 wrote:

    > Is 4dtv going to be able to decipher the PowerVu, or our we going to need a
    > new IRD again. Turner is switching to this encryption. Is it just a mater of
    > time before they all switch over. Making our 4dtv worthless. NPS is
    > advertising 4dtv for a special offer of $379.00 that's 52% off the retail
    > price of $799.99. I am not sure if they are dumping, or if Motorola is. I
    > haven't seen any advertisements or new Hdd200 for HD in a few years. I
    > wonder if Motorola has any plans to build a new HD -IRD's. Or are we being
    > forced to get rid of our BUD's.
    >
    > Jack

    Know what you mean! I am just sitting, waiting, and gathering as much
    information as possible as to the route to take concerning satellite reception
    evolution. It looks like a royal mess at this stage and is driven by greed and
    money.
    My satellite package just went up $ 2.00 month with the loss of the several
    C-band analog channels. I am about $ 12.00 shy of the price for Dish Network's
    package that will give me around 60% of what I was getting with the analog
    package. The local satellite representative told me that the pixel dropouts, as
    a result of rain, still exists even with the newer and larger Dish Network's
    "super dish".
    What a mess.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:48:15 -0700, "jack96620"
    <jack96620@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Is 4dtv going to be able to decipher the PowerVu, or our we going to need a
    >new IRD again. Turner is switching to this encryption. Is it just a mater of
    >time before they all switch over. Making our 4dtv worthless. NPS is
    >advertising 4dtv for a special offer of $379.00 that's 52% off the retail
    >price of $799.99. I am not sure if they are dumping, or if Motorola is. I
    >haven't seen any advertisements or new Hdd200 for HD in a few years. I
    >wonder if Motorola has any plans to build a new HD -IRD's. Or are we being
    >forced to get rid of our BUD's.
    >
    >Jack

    They are working on getting TCM, Speed, and others available to 4DTV
    customers.

    You cannot buy any consumer receiver capable of being authorised for
    access to PV encrypted programming, nor is their a consumer
    authorisation system in place (as there is for VCII/DCII).
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Gee,I have 4dtv,hear 4dtv is getting 2 new channels,but then I already have
    more than I watch ,PLUS an onscreen guide(IPG)!

    I just got another mpeg-2 free to air satellite receiver and I've already
    locked in over 100 free channels!

    I don't even have ku band,yet,wait til I get that,then I 'll be really lost!

    All that doesn't even count the free analog and vc2+ analog stuff.Plus the
    video and sound quality are way above what the LITTLE SILLY DISH can offer!

    Of course,the big joke is on anybody still stuck with analog only!Losing
    channels?Who's fault is that?The 4dtv and mpeg-2 hardware has been available
    for years now!

    "RA-5C" <RA-5CNOSPAM@alzonia.com> wrote in message

    > jack96620 wrote:
    >
    >> Is 4dtv going to be able to decipher the PowerVu, or our we going to need
    >> new IRD again. Turner is switching to this encryption. Is it just a mater
    >> of
    >> time before they all switch over. Making our 4dtv worthless. NPS is
    >> advertising 4dtv for a special offer of $379.00 that's 52% off the
    >> retail
    >> price of $799.99. I am not sure if they are dumping, or if Motorola is.
    >> haven't seen any advertisements or new Hdd200 for HD in a few years. I
    >> wonder if Motorola has any plans to build a new HD -IRD's. Or are we
    >> being
    >> forced to get rid of our BUD's.
    >>
    >> Jack
    >
    > Know what you mean! I am just sitting, waiting, and gathering as much
    > information as possible as to the route to take concerning satellite
    > reception
    > evolution. It looks like a royal mess at this stage and is driven by greed
    > and
    > money.
    > My satellite package just went up $ 2.00 month with the loss of the
    > several
    > C-band analog channels. I am about $ 12.00 shy of the price for Dish
    > Network's
    > package that will give me around 60% of what I was getting with the analog
    > package. The local satellite representative told me that the pixel
    > dropouts, as
    > a result of rain, still exists even with the newer and larger Dish
    > Network's
    > "super dish".
    > What a mess.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    >"jack96620" <jack96620@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The way I understand it Dish, Direct. Voom all send their signals three
    >> bounces instead of one bounce we're use to. Bounce one goes Broadcaster
    >> to satellite back down to earth were we pick it up and they do to. Bounce
    >> two goes from small dish co. to satellite. Bounce three goes from
    >> satellite to their higher power satellites to ground. Making the signal
    >> third generation. Not to mention a lot of processing and rebroadcasts.
    >> Just so they can use the 18" dish. The more processing, rebroadcasts, the
    >> better the chance for the signal degrading. To me small dish TV is the
    >> difference between watching a copy of a VHS tape, and DVD. Their the poor
    >> quality tape and we're the pristine DVD.
    >>
    >> Jack

    Satellite doesn't work that way. There is no compression losses in a
    satellite hop. For all intents and purposes, it is an analog pat,
    whatever comes up comes down, so for an average cable channel, their
    channel is uplinked on C-band, the DBS company would recive it (and
    probably transcode the received MPEG2, rather than a full analog
    re-conversion, and transmit that. And there are no satellite>satellite
    communications for geostationary TV satellites.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    The reason they can use an 18" dish is because it is ku band...or more to
    the point because of the relationship between wavelength and frequency.

    As freq. goes up,the wave length gets shorter,so the size of the antenna
    (dipole) gets shorter,so for an antenna for channel 6 vhf it is a
    monster,but for ch.57 UHF it's quite small.

    In the case of satellite tv,the dish has to be 1 wavelength I think.Enough
    to catch the signal anyway'

    For ku band,because it's a higher freq. and in the case of direct tv,etc
    because the satellites are quite powerful,one can use an 18"
    dish,whereas,for analog and mpeg-2 fta ku band,generally at least a 30" dish
    is needed!
    "Gary J. Tait" <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >"jack96620" <jack96620@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> The way I understand it Dish, Direct. Voom all send their signals three
    >>> bounces instead of one bounce we're use to. Bounce one goes
    >>> Broadcaster
    >>> to satellite back down to earth were we pick it up and they do to.
    >>> Bounce
    >>> two goes from small dish co. to satellite. Bounce three goes from
    >>> satellite to their higher power satellites to ground. Making the signal
    >>> third generation. Not to mention a lot of processing and rebroadcasts.
    >>> Just so they can use the 18" dish. The more processing, rebroadcasts,
    >>> the
    >>> better the chance for the signal degrading. To me small dish TV is the
    >>> difference between watching a copy of a VHS tape, and DVD. Their the
    >>> poor
    >>> quality tape and we're the pristine DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Jack
    >

    > Satellite doesn't work that way. There is no compression losses in a
    > satellite hop. For all intents and purposes, it is an analog pat,
    > whatever comes up comes down, so for an average cable channel, their
    > channel is uplinked on C-band, the DBS company would recive it (and
    > probably transcode the received MPEG2, rather than a full analog
    > re-conversion, and transmit that. And there are no satellite>satellite
    > communications for geostationary TV satellites.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    My bad, I was thinking of the multiple transponder spot beams of the dbs
    system. It is two bounces. I think one of the uplinks is Fortcollins Co.. I
    said it once and I will say it again. My Bad.

    Jack
    "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The reason they can use an 18" dish is because it is ku band...or more to
    > the point because of the relationship between wavelength and frequency.
    >
    > As freq. goes up,the wave length gets shorter,so the size of the antenna
    > (dipole) gets shorter,so for an antenna for channel 6 vhf it is a
    > monster,but for ch.57 UHF it's quite small.
    >
    > In the case of satellite tv,the dish has to be 1 wavelength I think.Enough
    > to catch the signal anyway'
    >
    > For ku band,because it's a higher freq. and in the case of direct tv,etc
    > because the satellites are quite powerful,one can use an 18"
    > dish,whereas,for analog and mpeg-2 fta ku band,generally at least a 30"
    > dish is needed!
    > "Gary J. Tait" <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> >"jack96620" <jack96620@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> Satellite doesn't work that way. There is no compression losses in a
    >> satellite hop. For all intents and purposes, it is an analog pat,
    >> whatever comes up comes down, so for an average cable channel, their
    >> channel is uplinked on C-band, the DBS company would recive it (and
    >> probably transcode the received MPEG2, rather than a full analog
    >> re-conversion, and transmit that. And there are no satellite>satellite
    >> communications for geostationary TV satellites.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    When 4DTV came out a few years ago and were selling for $1500 , there were
    talks that this was THE receiver of the future.
    Unfortunately, Motorola screwed around with the software and paralyzed many
    units that could not download EPG's or time. Especially those used for Bell
    Expressvu and Star Choice.
    Most people that bought 4DTV's are now stuck with an expiring dinosaur.
    Companies that sell programming find it easier to sell small dish packages
    and literally force people into crossing over to the small dish reception.
    Like it or not, BUD owners will have to face the fact one of these days like
    I did.
    Now I have DN and Bell on Small dish but I;ve kept my BUD for FTA and wild
    feeds.
    I still believe that there will be a revival of the BUD one of these days
    but I don't keep my hopes too high for now. It's even hard these days to buy
    a TV guide for BUD's OnSat or Orbit went out of business a few years ago so
    that should have rung a bell.

    --
    " They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken."
    > On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:48:15 -0700, "jack96620"
    > <jack96620@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Is 4dtv going to be able to decipher the PowerVu, or our we going to need
    >>new IRD again. Turner is switching to this encryption. Is it just a mater
    >>of
    >>time before they all switch over. Making our 4dtv worthless. NPS is
    >>advertising 4dtv for a special offer of $379.00 that's 52% off the retail
    >>price of $799.99. I am not sure if they are dumping, or if Motorola is. I
    >>haven't seen any advertisements or new Hdd200 for HD in a few years. I
    >>wonder if Motorola has any plans to build a new HD -IRD's. Or are we being
    >>forced to get rid of our BUD's.
    >>
    >>Jack
    >>

    > They are working on getting TCM, Speed, and others available to 4DTV
    > customers.
    >
    > You cannot buy any consumer receiver capable of being authorised for
    > access to PV encrypted programming, nor is their a consumer
    > authorisation system in place (as there is for VCII/DCII).

4DTV Satellite