Bachelor's in IT worth it?

orion42

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I am currently working towards a bachelor's degree in Information Technology through Colorado State University's online program (Global Campus). Most of my credits from the last college I attended transferred in so it's only about a year for me to complete the program in its entirety.

When I started the program, I thought I would figure out what specific job I would want to do by taking courses and/or talking to professors - but so far after 4 months I'm not really getting a feel for what jobs are out there and what jobs I will actually be qualified for once I finish.

I love working with computers, and I have enjoyed the classes I have taken, but I need to really start thinking about the end game here and how I can best prepare for a future in the industry. I have posted on these forums before, so I know the Tom's community is very knowledgeable and thoughtful in their answers - any insights you all have would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for the types of jobs I should be looking at post graduation?
2. Should I get certifications as well as the bachelor's?
3. Is a bachelor's degree in IT going to get me anywhere / how do I get my foot in the door?
4. Is an online degree, even from an accredited state university, viewed as a minus on an application?

Solution
Don't get TOO depressed YET! That takes more serious time! ha ha

Seriously, though, change your expectations about College Education and its Factor in the Computer Biz equation.

Colleges simply cannot predict what any company will require for that NEXT year. Some companies buy up computer courses - pay profs "to teach to the job" for those. But even then, those are project-based and once that project is finished, kablooey!

In that sense, you should not WANT a college to teach you into ONE job or ONE project. You'd be nothing but cannon fodder, in other words - that hiring company could kick you out after the project's nearing it's completion.

Good schools don't do that. They may not prepare you for any one specific job or...

1. College does NOT prepare you to work with computers, College prepares you to MANAGE computers. Workers (remove a harddrive, reinstall Windows, etc.) work, Managers Manage the 'assets'; unless you take a Degree with a Programming 'end game'. Then they will teach you the skills on Programming as well, as it is a Science just as being taught how to mix chemicals or other sciences. Again though you would be part of the team to create / modify programs to MANAGE the computers, not actually sitting there as the end user (comparision, be the programmer making the code to allow a WereWolf to jump in WoW, NOT the Beta Test Group that PLAYS WoW to test if things work - oops he jumps on the mountain too quickly he gets stuck 'inside' the rock).

2. If you want to work 'ON' computers, business ONLY recognize certifications. Start with the basics, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security + (no loans this is all out of your pocket and NO companies won't' pay for you to get them while you 'work' you need them to even be considered for 'review' for a open position) then you would need to specialize more, so go CISCO for networking, MCSA for Microsoft, there is LINUX Certification and more out there to specialize on. The more you get the more valuable you are the more money you make; BUT the REALLY LARGER amount of money you have spend on these certs.

3. Depends what your focus is, if you have no 'JOB experience' then you're really not worth considering (honestly). You would best at this time look for INTERNSHIP (you do NOT get paid to work, they ALLOW you to get the experience 'as' your payment). You could apply for 1st Level Tech, but again they like you to AT LEAST have CompTIA A+ Cert to prove you know how computers / apps work and how to fix them, not the 'theory' of it.

4. Debatable, but let me put it this way; You want to hire someone to run the $1M systems that allow you to take / process orders 24x7 without interruption and make the company the $300M in sales each year (about $1M a day) who would you hire? Joe Something from Colorado State University ONLINE School, or Jane Rodriguez from Princeton/Berkeley/etc.? Whom do you feel would be better 'qualified' ? Old brick and mortar 'Ivy Schools' will always displace you when job hunting.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Find out if your college has an IT department that hires student workers. I was making almost $10/hour, but 1/2 hours during school, but a full 40 during vacations.

Interns get paid at my job. They keep telling me how much fun it is to work here and are hoping to get hired when they graduate. My boss said interns need to get paid enough to afford rent, food, transportation, and a bit extra to have fun.

orion42

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

This is a really excellent idea - I don't know why I didn't think of it. It's a bit different because I live in Virginia and the University is in Colorado (being an online student), but they offer technical support that may hire students. Not sure if this would be as valuable as hands on work in the IT department, but it might be a start.

orion42

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Thanks for the reality check - depression setting in, haha.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Don't get TOO depressed YET! That takes more serious time! ha ha

Seriously, though, change your expectations about College Education and its Factor in the Computer Biz equation.

Colleges simply cannot predict what any company will require for that NEXT year. Some companies buy up computer courses - pay profs "to teach to the job" for those. But even then, those are project-based and once that project is finished, kablooey!

In that sense, you should not WANT a college to teach you into ONE job or ONE project. You'd be nothing but cannon fodder, in other words - that hiring company could kick you out after the project's nearing it's completion.

Good schools don't do that. They may not prepare you for any one specific job or project, but what that degree really means is "I made a commitment and I completed it - here's proof."

And every day at every company is nothing more than a commitment and proof.

Solution