AOL Discontinuing Newsgroups.

This seems like a good reason to discontinue AOL.
9 answers Last reply
More about aol discontinuing newsgroups

    > ETVIDEO1 <etvideo1@aol.com> wrote:

    > This seems like a good reason to discontinue AOL.

    They're probably getting tired of dealing with
    users who spam discussion-only newsgroups with
    eBay auction ads.

    :-)

    In any case, you can use GoogleGroups from any ISP.
    <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.video.laserdisc>

    ETVIDEO1 wrote:
    > This seems like a good reason to discontinue AOL.

    .... and probably why your posts are delayed and/or not posted at all.
    -Junior

    On 24 Jan 2005 18:38:17 GMT, etvideo1@aol.com (ETVIDEO1) wrote:

    >This seems like a good reason to discontinue AOL.

    AOL itself is a good enough reason to discontinue AOL.

    etvideo1@aol.com (ETVIDEO1) wrote in

    > This seems like a good reason to discontinue AOL.

    As if there's a good reason to continue AOL.

    and then there's all the newsgroups that AOL blocks -that aren'te ven
    offensive.They just have to have certain words in them!Aol's filtering
    causes a LOT of problems!

    "ArchieLeach" <cary@grant.com> wrote in message
    > etvideo1@aol.com (ETVIDEO1) wrote in
    >
    >> This seems like a good reason to discontinue AOL.
    >
    > As if there's a good reason to continue AOL.

    << etvideo1@aol.com (ETVIDEO1) wrote in

    > This seems like a good reason to discontinue AOL. >>

    complaint link

    aol://4344:1227.tellus04.9376352.756584015

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:32:30 -0500, "Valdivar"
    <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >and then there's all the newsgroups that AOL blocks -that aren'te ven
    >offensive.They just have to have certain words in them!Aol's filtering
    >causes a LOT of problems!

    Aol causes a LOT of problems itself too. :-D

    >"ArchieLeach" <cary@grant.com> wrote in message
    >> etvideo1@aol.com (ETVIDEO1) wrote in
    >>
    >>> This seems like a good reason to discontinue AOL.
    >>
    >> As if there's a good reason to continue AOL.

    <<and then there's all the newsgroups that AOL blocks -that aren'te ven
    offensive.They just have to have certain words in them!Aol's filtering
    causes a LOT of problems!>>

    Other than the fact that I have an established e-mail account through
    AOL, the only reason I ever used it was for NG reading. But I started
    noticing months ago that AOL was blocking certain groups, losing my
    posts without actually posting them, losing other people's posts and
    delaying posts by 5 or 6 days. I've been using Google for a year or two
    now as a NG search-engine, and about 2 months ago I started using it to
    read and write posts. Low and behold, no more lost posts, no more
    blocked groups, and *I* get to decide what to read and not read, rather
    than allowing AOL to censor my content. I'm very happy. Although, as a
    side note, Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express has allowed for NG reading
    for several years and now Mozilla has a news reader/mail client in the
    works, so it's not as if Google is the first alternitive to AOL, it's
    just the first on I've tried.

    On 26 Jan 2005 15:34:23 -0800, "Steven Grauman" <OneActor1@aol.com>
    wrote:

    > Mozilla has a news reader/mail client in the
    >works, so it's not as if Google is the first alternitive to AOL, it's
    >just the first on I've tried.
    Mozilla's Thunderbird email/NG client is/has been available for
    awhile, and works quite well.
    John

Laser Disc Players AOL Newsgroup Video