Newbie (to dvb) asking for help

I live in Canada. Several years ago I used a semi legal Dish Network
receiver for which I paid subscriptions through some "broker" in the USA. I
gave it up and obtained ExpressVu (which is OK). My family very much wants
to be able to receive The Gem Shopping Network which is supposed to be
available on G3C transponder 14 so I bought a PanSat 2500A, mainly to enable
me to get this channel (it is a fun thing to have in itself). I have
located the Gem channel and get a good strong signal quality but no picture
or sound show up despite the receiver apparently "seeing" it. I suspect I
have a problem with the settings of the transponder but unfortunately I have
not yet understood what all the numbers and letters given in lyngsat mean or
how I change them in the 2500A. Could anyone point me to instructions
written in understandable English please?
If I cannot manage to get this working I am considering getting another semi
legal Dish or Direct TV system as both carry the Gem Shopping channel. I
have lost the address of my old broker and would appreciate advice as to
whether this is still feasible. Also I don't know where I might obtain the
actual receiver in Canada. Any and all advice would be received with
thanks. I have no intention of going the highly illegal route of fiddling
with software and stuff in the PanSat receiver.
Please reply either to the group or be email. My email address needs a
little amendment as follows:- Change the first a to r. and also delete
nspm. TIA
Alan Combellack
acombellack@nspmsympatico.ca
27 answers Last reply
More about newbie dvb
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    You are right.You need to check the frequency,polarization and symbol rate
    again.How ever,it could be possible that the channel is encrypted now.There
    are a lot of channels that have encrypted video,but ITC audio.

    "Alan Combellack" <acombellack@nspmsympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I live in Canada. Several years ago I used a semi legal Dish Network
    > receiver for which I paid subscriptions through some "broker" in the USA.
    > I gave it up and obtained ExpressVu (which is OK). My family very much
    > wants to be able to receive The Gem Shopping Network which is supposed to
    > be available on G3C transponder 14 so I bought a PanSat 2500A, mainly to
    > enable me to get this channel (it is a fun thing to have in itself). I
    > have located the Gem channel and get a good strong signal quality but no
    > picture or sound show up despite the receiver apparently "seeing" it. I
    > suspect I have a problem with the settings of the transponder but
    > unfortunately I have not yet understood what all the numbers and letters
    > given in lyngsat mean or how I change them in the 2500A. Could anyone
    > point me to instructions written in understandable English please?
    > If I cannot manage to get this working I am considering getting another
    > semi legal Dish or Direct TV system as both carry the Gem Shopping
    > channel. I have lost the address of my old broker and would appreciate
    > advice as to whether this is still feasible. Also I don't know where I
    > might obtain the actual receiver in Canada. Any and all advice would be
    > received with thanks. I have no intention of going the highly illegal
    > route of fiddling with software and stuff in the PanSat receiver.
    > Please reply either to the group or be email. My email address needs a
    > little amendment as follows:- Change the first a to r. and also delete
    > nspm. TIA
    > Alan Combellack
    > acombellack@nspmsympatico.ca

  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Do you have a "C" band setup? because you need that to view GEM Shopping.
    I'm not sure what size dish you'll need to receive it, but you can't pick it
    up with a Ku Band LNB /Dish

    "Alan Combellack" <acombellack@nspmsympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I live in Canada. Several years ago I used a semi legal Dish Network
    > receiver for which I paid subscriptions through some "broker" in the USA.
    > gave it up and obtained ExpressVu (which is OK). My family very much
    wants
    > to be able to receive The Gem Shopping Network which is supposed to be
    > available on G3C transponder 14 so I bought a PanSat 2500A, mainly to
    enable
    > me to get this channel (it is a fun thing to have in itself). I have
    > located the Gem channel and get a good strong signal quality but no
    picture
    > or sound show up despite the receiver apparently "seeing" it. I suspect I
    > have a problem with the settings of the transponder but unfortunately I
    have
    > not yet understood what all the numbers and letters given in lyngsat mean
    or
    > how I change them in the 2500A. Could anyone point me to instructions
    > written in understandable English please?
    > If I cannot manage to get this working I am considering getting another
    semi
    > legal Dish or Direct TV system as both carry the Gem Shopping channel. I
    > have lost the address of my old broker and would appreciate advice as to
    > whether this is still feasible. Also I don't know where I might obtain
    the
    > actual receiver in Canada. Any and all advice would be received with
    > thanks. I have no intention of going the highly illegal route of fiddling
    > with software and stuff in the PanSat receiver.
    > Please reply either to the group or be email. My email address needs a
    > little amendment as follows:- Change the first a to r. and also delete
    > nspm. TIA
    > Alan Combellack
    > acombellack@nspmsympatico.ca

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Thanks. Yes I have a very old solid 8 ft aluminum dish which had not been
    used for years. I put in a new lnb, actuator and polarotor as they had been
    damaged by lightning and it works well on the few clear channels. The Pansat
    does find the channel, and about 20 others, on C3C C band but only about
    four actually give me pictures. None of these have any sound. The Ku, from
    a separate dish, generally work well.
    Alan C