New Replay coming to my house soon

Well, it happened, Wife's vcr took a dump, No video, no recording, no
playback. I promised to replace it with a replay

So, I spent some time on E-bay last night, Set a kitchen timer, logged
in at the last few minutes and at 30 seconds to closing placed a bid on
a 5040

Won too

Shold be getting it long about a week from now give or take a business
day or 3

The question... I saw a post (I thought) from someone who sells
replacement/upgrade drives, pre-patched for use with the replays.

I'd like to pull the 40 out of that one (and perhaps plug it into my
5504) and pop something a bit larger into this one (or perhaps just
convert it to dual drive)

Need prices and contact info, E-mail is fine w a 8 y x m at a r r l dot
n e t should work if you are a human and know how to delete spaces
and change words to symbols
19 answers Last reply
More about replay coming house

    "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > Need prices and contact info, E-mail is fine w a 8 y x m at a r r l dot n
    > e t should work if you are a human and know how to delete spaces and
    > change words to symbols

    You can take a look at: http://www.replaytv.us/

    They sell drives with the RTV image loaded on it, and they have the
    QuickView drives. They claim to do a low-level format, surface
    recertification, software load, boot/connect to RTV test, and a 24-hour
    burn-in before they ship.

    The prices are pretty reasonable; I got a 120-gig QuickView from them a
    while back, with no problems.

    You can find drives on ebay too. BTW, next time you bid, try the Snipe
    program from
    http://merlinsoftware.com/auctionmagic/
    It's very well supported and has a lot of nice features. I generally bid
    with only 10 seconds to go so no one has chance to reconsider and up
    their bid. I win 99% of what I bid on that way.

    From:John in Detroit
    Blanked@sbcglobal.net

    General Kireiko wrote:

    > Get yourself a large hard disk with a good warranty (Seagate and new
    > Hitachi drives have 5 and 3 year warranties, respectively), download an
    > image and RTVPatch, and do it yourself.
    >
    > It's quite easy.

    Yes, I know, but it's so much easier if it's pre-patched (Less than half
    the labor is involved) and someone has already contacted me privatly.

    He is offering drives, pre-patched, for close enough to what
    Comp-Useless would charge for the same drive that unless his shipping
    and handling are off the chart there is no point in driving to Comp-USA

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:45:44 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >General Kireiko wrote:
    >
    >> Get yourself a large hard disk with a good warranty (Seagate and new
    >> Hitachi drives have 5 and 3 year warranties, respectively), download an
    >> image and RTVPatch, and do it yourself.
    >>
    >> It's quite easy.
    >
    >Yes, I know, but it's so much easier if it's pre-patched (Less than half
    >the labor is involved) and someone has already contacted me privatly.

    Unless you already have (or can easily get) a suitable drive.

    >He is offering drives, pre-patched, for close enough to what
    >Comp-Useless would charge for the same drive that unless his shipping
    >and handling are off the chart there is no point in driving to Comp-USA

    A pre-patched drive is likely to contain an older version of the
    Replay software, requiring a download just after you upgrade. Will
    that be a problem?

    And, of course, there's the safisfaction of doing something yourself.

    You may still want the pre-patched drive. But do think about it.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    pjs wrote:
    > "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Need prices and contact info, E-mail is fine w a 8 y x m at a r r l dot n
    >>e t should work if you are a human and know how to delete spaces and
    >>change words to symbols
    >

    > You can take a look at: http://www.replaytv.us/
    >
    > They sell drives with the RTV image loaded on it, and they have the
    > QuickView drives. They claim to do a low-level format, surface
    > recertification, software load, boot/connect to RTV test, and a 24-hour
    > burn-in before they ship.
    >
    > The prices are pretty reasonable; I got a 120-gig QuickView from them a
    > while back, with no problems.

    Thank you, will check them out. I could do the job myself but
    1: the computer I'd have to use would likely be my XP job and it's not
    that easy to dig into it where it sits. (2: XP does not like a lot of
    hardware changes, last time I plugged a different drive into it for a
    bit it crashed and had to be fully restored from scratch, about a 2 week
    job) 2: The back up machine (Linux) is even harder to get at
    (physically) though much more accomaditing once you do. Both machines
    have "Full up" hard disk controllers (2 controlers by 2 drives each)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:48:19 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >pjs wrote:
    >> "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Need prices and contact info, E-mail is fine w a 8 y x m at a r r l dot n
    >>>e t should work if you are a human and know how to delete spaces and
    >>>change words to symbols
    >>

    >> You can take a look at: http://www.replaytv.us/
    >>
    >> They sell drives with the RTV image loaded on it, and they have the
    >> QuickView drives. They claim to do a low-level format, surface
    >> recertification, software load, boot/connect to RTV test, and a 24-hour
    >> burn-in before they ship.
    >>
    >> The prices are pretty reasonable; I got a 120-gig QuickView from them a
    >> while back, with no problems.
    >>

    >Thank you, will check them out. I could do the job myself but
    >1: the computer I'd have to use would likely be my XP job and it's not
    >that easy to dig into it where it sits.

    Then have you considered changing THAT? Don't limit your options.

    >(2: XP does not like a lot of
    >hardware changes,

    Another reason not to use XP.

    > last time I plugged a different drive into it for a
    >bit it crashed and had to be fully restored from scratch, about a 2 week
    >job) 2: The back up machine (Linux) is even harder to get at
    >(physically) though much more accomaditing once you do. Both machines
    >have "Full up" hard disk controllers (2 controlers by 2 drives each)

    You may not need all those drives while upgrading the PC.

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:48:19 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >pjs wrote:
    >> "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Need prices and contact info, E-mail is fine w a 8 y x m at a r r l dot n
    >>>e t should work if you are a human and know how to delete spaces and
    >>>change words to symbols
    >>

    >> You can take a look at: http://www.replaytv.us/
    >>
    >> They sell drives with the RTV image loaded on it, and they have the
    >> QuickView drives. They claim to do a low-level format, surface
    >> recertification, software load, boot/connect to RTV test, and a 24-hour
    >> burn-in before they ship.
    >>
    >> The prices are pretty reasonable; I got a 120-gig QuickView from them a
    >> while back, with no problems.
    >>

    >Thank you, will check them out. I could do the job myself but
    >1: the computer I'd have to use would likely be my XP job and it's not
    >that easy to dig into it where it sits. (2: XP does not like a lot of
    >hardware changes,

    True.

    One of the BIG reasons I avoid using XP (I use 2000, a much better
    OS). I don't want thier system telling me what to do.

    BruceR wrote:
    > You can find drives on ebay too. BTW, next time you bid, try the Snipe
    > program from
    > http://merlinsoftware.com/auctionmagic/
    > It's very well supported and has a lot of nice features. I generally bid
    > with only 10 seconds to go so no one has chance to reconsider and up
    > their bid. I win 99% of what I bid on that way.

    I actually have looked at at least one of those, I think that one.

    I simply placed the bid with less than 30 seconds on the clock. (closer
    to 3 seconds by the time the bid "Took" I keep strange hours so this
    method works

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > A pre-patched drive is likely to contain an older version of the
    > Replay software, requiring a download just after you upgrade. Will
    > that be a problem?

    Naa, at DSL speeds it won't take but a minute or two

    > And, of course, there's the safisfaction of doing something yourself.

    Well, yes, however the satisfaction is tempered by the fact that I've
    done similar jobs so many times that this would not be a "new
    experience" I have been messing around INSIDE computers ever since I got
    my 2nd Vic-20 after all, I have designed and built some sub assemblies,
    modified others and installed enough Hard Drives and the like to find it
    "Work" in the worst sense. Thus, if I can avoid work, without paying
    extra... No question there.

    > You may still want the pre-patched drive. But do think about it.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Another reason not to use XP.

    Well.... I do call it "eXtra Painful" after all.

    >>last time I plugged a different drive into it for a
    >>bit it crashed and had to be fully restored from scratch, about a 2 week
    >>job) 2: The back up machine (Linux) is even harder to get at
    >>(physically) though much more accomaditing once you do. Both machines
    >>have "Full up" hard disk controllers (2 controlers by 2 drives each)
    >

    > You may not need all those drives while upgrading the PC.

    We are not talking about upgrading the PC, we are talking about
    upgrading the RTV and for sure I'd have to unplug something in order to
    plug in the upgrade drive.

    Naa, I'll just go with a pre-patched, easier
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I agree with you. I'd pay the extra as a convenience fee for not having
    to mess with my PC. If it ain't broke...

    From:John in Detroit
    Blanked@sbcglobal.net

    >> Another reason not to use XP.
    >>

    > Well.... I do call it "eXtra Painful" after all.
    >

    >>> last time I plugged a different drive into it for a
    >>> bit it crashed and had to be fully restored from scratch, about a 2
    >>> week job) 2: The back up machine (Linux) is even harder to get at
    >>> (physically) though much more accomaditing once you do. Both
    >>> machines have "Full up" hard disk controllers (2 controlers by 2
    >>> drives each)
    >>

    >> You may not need all those drives while upgrading the PC.
    >
    > We are not talking about upgrading the PC, we are talking about
    > upgrading the RTV and for sure I'd have to unplug something in order
    > to plug in the upgrade drive.
    >
    > Naa, I'll just go with a pre-patched, easier
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:35:13 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> A pre-patched drive is likely to contain an older version of the
    >> Replay software, requiring a download just after you upgrade. Will
    >> that be a problem?
    >>
    >Naa, at DSL speeds it won't take but a minute or two

    Right. It would be a couple of hours with POTS (which some people
    still have to use).

    >> And, of course, there's the safisfaction of doing something yourself.
    >
    >Well, yes, however the satisfaction is tempered by the fact that I've
    >done similar jobs so many times that this would not be a "new
    >experience" I have been messing around INSIDE computers ever since I got
    >my 2nd Vic-20 after all, I have designed and built some sub assemblies,
    >modified others and installed enough Hard Drives and the like to find it

    My first computer was a VIC-20, then I got a C-64. I spent a lot of
    time writing a BASIC extension called "BASIC Plus", which could be
    loaded from disk (slow) or put in an 8KB EPROM cartridge. 8KB is a big
    program to write in assembly language (using that C-64).

    >"Work" in the worst sense. Thus, if I can avoid work, without paying
    >extra... No question there.

    OK. That makes a lot of difference. Do you remember what it was like
    the first few times?

    >> You may still want the pre-patched drive. But do think about it.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:38:08 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >> Another reason not to use XP.
    >>

    >Well.... I do call it "eXtra Painful" after all.

    That's a good one.

    Once, I remember reading a future history, where the next version
    would be called "Windows FU" ("Windows For You"), which very few
    people bought.

    I have actually used XP (not INTENTIONALLY, but to try to help
    someone). It had this new version of the "start" menu which seemed to
    be designed to make things as difficult as possible for anyone who
    already knew about computers.

    [snip]

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > OK. That makes a lot of difference. Do you remember what it was like
    > the first few times?

    Well, it was nice when it worked, However one thing you need to
    understand is that I got my certificate as an Electronics Tecnician back
    in in the very early 1970's. So I have been playing around with a
    soldering gun for a long, long, time, I got my Ham license back in about
    1967 after all (Still in high school) Still have it too

    My mail forwarding service is arrl.net (and my e-dress is wa8yxm, which
    is my call sign) This address is good only so long as my membership is
    current of course..... I've had life membership since about 1975
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:34:40 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> OK. That makes a lot of difference. Do you remember what it was like
    >> the first few times?
    >
    >Well, it was nice when it worked, However one thing you need to
    >understand is that I got my certificate as an Electronics Tecnician back
    >in in the very early 1970's. So I have been playing around with a
    >soldering gun for a long, long, time, I got my Ham license back in about
    >1967 after all (Still in high school) Still have it too
    >
    >My mail forwarding service is arrl.net (and my e-dress is wa8yxm, which
    >is my call sign) This address is good only so long as my membership is
    >current of course..... I've had life membership since about 1975

    It was later that I really got involved with electronics. I've had
    more to do with digital stuff than radio.

    BTW, the first hard disk I had held 30MB and cost $300. It was working
    2 years ago when I sold it.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > I have actually used XP (not INTENTIONALLY, but to try to help
    > someone). It had this new version of the "start" menu which seemed to
    > be designed to make things as difficult as possible for anyone who
    > already knew about computers.

    One of the very few (Gasp) GOOD things I can say about Windows XP is
    that you can change the appearance of that start menu to "Classic" and
    you will have a start menu you can use.

    Of course if you ever have to call customer non-assistance to fix a
    problem you are going to have to change it back first cause they do not
    know how to navigate it, but I sure do
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:36:23 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> I have actually used XP (not INTENTIONALLY, but to try to help
    >> someone). It had this new version of the "start" menu which seemed to
    >> be designed to make things as difficult as possible for anyone who
    >> already knew about computers.
    >
    >One of the very few (Gasp) GOOD things I can say about Windows XP is
    >that you can change the appearance of that start menu to "Classic" and
    >you will have a start menu you can use.

    However, most people (particularly new users) are too lazy to change
    it from the defuult. This makes it likely that someone needing help
    will have a system that's unfamiliar to those who could help.

    I'm considering a lot of bad defaults in all Windows versions, that I
    change as soon as it's installed. Things like the "hide file
    extensions" option (makes it easy for virus writers) and "personalized
    menus" (makes it harder to find what you want, organize them
    yourself). This list would include HTML in Outlook Express, but I've
    seldom used OE in the last 5 years or so.

    >Of course if you ever have to call customer non-assistance to fix a
    >problem you are going to have to change it back first cause they do not
    >know how to navigate it, but I sure do

    I've had to do that a lot (change things back, in order to get
    "help").

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    ..

    > BTW, the first hard disk I had held 30MB and cost $300. It was working
    > 2 years ago when I sold it.

    <My first HD"s were 20 Meggers, I think I still have them

    FIrst one I ever saw was a 10 Megger, but I did not own it (I was
    working in a computer store then)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:08:52 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >.
    >>
    >> BTW, the first hard disk I had held 30MB and cost $300. It was working
    >> 2 years ago when I sold it.
    >
    ><My first HD"s were 20 Meggers, I think I still have them

    It was awhile before I could afford one. At that time, the 30MB drives
    used RLL and cost very little more than the 20MB ones. The $300
    package included a controller card. It was not compatible with 386
    enhanced mode, so was not much use with Windows.

    >FIrst one I ever saw was a 10 Megger, but I did not own it (I was
    >working in a computer store then)

    The first I saw (but didn't actually have) was 5MB and had a price of
    $5,000.00. I didn't have much money then, and had to be satisfied with
    160KB floppies.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx