Turtle Beach - Catalina 7.1 Sound Card

I am considering a sound card for importing Laserdisc data into my PC for
editing.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/catalina/

Is this what I want for my computer to interface with the optical out on a
laserdisc player??

I am considering a Sony MDP800or a MARANTZ MODEL LV500 as a starter unit
with hopes to find a Pioneer 740 soon.

Thank you for your help.

computeruser
2 answers Last reply
More about turtle beach catalina sound card

    "computeruser" wrote:

    >I am considering a sound card for importing Laserdisc data into my PC for
    >editing.
    >
    > http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/catalina/
    >
    > Is this what I want for my computer to interface with the optical out on a
    > laserdisc player??

    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the card appears to have only analog
    stereo *inputs* and a digital audio input.

    The card you link to will be fine for outputting multi channel audio say
    from you pc's dvd player/burner but not importing from an external source.
    You'll be able to record the audio from simple stereo laserdiscs either
    through the analog or digital input or possibly DTS 5.1 encoded laserdiscs
    through the digital input only but judging from the cards' specs, it would
    probably downsample the DTS bitstream to 24 Bits at 96KHz. To get the AC-3
    track off the laserdisc from a DD 5.1 soundtrack, you'd no doubt need an
    external RF Demodulator between your laserdisc player and the PC's sound
    card. You'd also need some higher end audio editing software like Wavelab or
    Soundforge, something that handles and edits multi track audio.

    To be honest, I'm not even sure there's a consumer audio card that will
    easily and effectively import a laserdisc's multi channel audio. This kind
    of hardware and software isn't something you can get at a Best Buy or
    similar mass consumer electronics outlet. I do know that there are sound
    cards made by Arc, Siena and a few others in the $400 - $600 buck range that
    are multi-channel analog/digital that might work for your needs.

    I would strongly suggest contacting a local music store, the bigger the
    better like say a "Guitar Center" or "Sam Ash Music " as they have dedicated
    a/v authoring departments that sell more isoteric hardware and software more
    suited to your needs along with people that can help you best.

    T.B.

    Actually, it depends if "computeruser" is going to import DD5.1 or
    just the Digital Audio track like I do. Personally, I would hold out
    for a card that doesnt resample the data either way. This is a must
    if you want to cap the AC3 tracks (and even then your going through
    alot of hoops to get it but forking out for an RF modulator from what
    Ive read). Im pretty sure the cards featuring the VIA Envy24HT
    chipsets dont resample, but the only card of that chipset that I know
    up with Optical Digital in for recording is the Terratec Space and
    Universe cards. In a post somewhere back someone mentioned the
    CMI8738 chipsets as also not resampling.

    If all your wanting is the PCM digital audio track then this card
    should work. It will likely resample the input, but you probrobly
    wont even notice.

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:50:43 GMT, "TB" <partyslammer@socal.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >"computeruser" wrote:
    >
    >>I am considering a sound card for importing Laserdisc data into my PC for
    >>editing.
    >>
    >> http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/catalina/
    >>
    >> Is this what I want for my computer to interface with the optical out on a
    >> laserdisc player??
    >
    >Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the card appears to have only analog
    >stereo *inputs* and a digital audio input.
    >
    >The card you link to will be fine for outputting multi channel audio say
    >from you pc's dvd player/burner but not importing from an external source.
    >You'll be able to record the audio from simple stereo laserdiscs either
    >through the analog or digital input or possibly DTS 5.1 encoded laserdiscs
    >through the digital input only but judging from the cards' specs, it would
    >probably downsample the DTS bitstream to 24 Bits at 96KHz. To get the AC-3
    >track off the laserdisc from a DD 5.1 soundtrack, you'd no doubt need an
    >external RF Demodulator between your laserdisc player and the PC's sound
    >card. You'd also need some higher end audio editing software like Wavelab or
    >Soundforge, something that handles and edits multi track audio.
    >
    >To be honest, I'm not even sure there's a consumer audio card that will
    >easily and effectively import a laserdisc's multi channel audio. This kind
    >of hardware and software isn't something you can get at a Best Buy or
    >similar mass consumer electronics outlet. I do know that there are sound
    >cards made by Arc, Siena and a few others in the $400 - $600 buck range that
    >are multi-channel analog/digital that might work for your needs.
    >
    >I would strongly suggest contacting a local music store, the bigger the
    >better like say a "Guitar Center" or "Sam Ash Music " as they have dedicated
    >a/v authoring departments that sell more isoteric hardware and software more
    >suited to your needs along with people that can help you best.
    >
    >T.B.

Laser Disc Players Computers Video Sound Cards