Connecting replay to a HD satellite receiver..

Currently at home we have Dish Networks 811 HD receiver. We've been
looking at buying a DVR, and I came across replay. I liked the replay
features a lot better than Tivos. My question is this, will I be able
to hook my satellite reciver up through the replay unit, and still get
good quality pictures on my tv? I really don't want to use the RCA
in/out because they seem to degrade the picture. And we also have a
really nice sound system at home, so I would like to be able to hook
the replay up to my hd receiver without degrading the quality. Has
anybody been able to do this successfully?
Thanks
24 answers Last reply
More about connecting replay satellite receiver

    On 27 Oct 2004 13:11:48 -0700, redgem@mlode.com (Jeannine) wrote:

    >Currently at home we have Dish Networks 811 HD receiver. We've been
    >looking at buying a DVR, and I came across replay. I liked the replay
    >features a lot better than Tivos. My question is this, will I be able
    >to hook my satellite reciver up through the replay unit, and still get
    >good quality pictures on my tv? I really don't want to use the RCA
    >in/out because they seem to degrade the picture.

    It's about as good as you can get from satellite. You can use S-video
    if you want (it's associated with Replay input 2). RF connections are
    worse (and audio is not stereo).

    > And we also have a
    >really nice sound system at home, so I would like to be able to hook
    >the replay up to my hd receiver without degrading the quality.

    ANYTHING will degrade it somewhat. I guess you mean you don't want to
    degrade it any more than necessary. Does your sound system support
    digital audio input? That sounds like the best choice.

    > Has
    >anybody been able to do this successfully?
    >Thanks

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    I think the best the Replay will display is 480P output. You need to have
    that on your TV. I assume you would if you have an HD receiver. Otherwise,
    the Replay won't record HD programming.

    Jeannine wrote:

    > Currently at home we have Dish Networks 811 HD receiver. We've been
    > looking at buying a DVR, and I came across replay. I liked the replay
    > features a lot better than Tivos. My question is this, will I be able
    > to hook my satellite reciver up through the replay unit, and still get
    > good quality pictures on my tv? I really don't want to use the RCA
    > in/out because they seem to degrade the picture. And we also have a
    > really nice sound system at home, so I would like to be able to hook
    > the replay up to my hd receiver without degrading the quality. Has
    > anybody been able to do this successfully?
    > Thanks

    First, Condgradulations on making the best choice in DVR (Replay is much
    more versitle than Tivo)

    Second... You have choices in your inputs with the Replay

    1: RF (Antenna) in
    2: RCA (Video, audio left, audio right)
    3: S-Video (Seperated chroma and luma/sync info, far superior to
    composit) This can be used with RCA audio cables (left/right)

    This is for the video

    For audio you have RF, RCA and S/Pdif (Either coax of Tosslink-optical)

    This is superior as well, though my ears are not that good

    In short, you have options, RF is the worst, S-Video with digital audio
    is the best, You may mix and match.

    One caravat though.. Default settings are RF and RCA (line 1 or line 2)

    Line 2 can be re-set to use S-Video and/or Digital audio

    The unit has selections in out puts too but generally all are active so
    you plug in what you wish to use

    1: RF (Chan 3 here I think you can change it)
    2: S-Video with your choice of Analog or digital (optical or coax) audio

    And there are two Analog video/audio out lines as well if memory serves.

    A very versitle machine

    Thanks everybody for all your help. I was researching a bit more last
    night, and what Dish or Direct want for their HD/DVR combo is just
    outrageous. I'm definatley going to go with Replay. I'm not to
    worried about it recording the HD channels, currently there are only 4
    or 5, not to many. One more question for everybody, which model is
    the best to get at the best price? On replays site, I saw they had
    the 5504 for around 100.00 after rebate, is that a good one?

    On 28 Oct 2004 08:23:55 -0700, redgem@mlode.com (Jeannine) wrote:

    >Thanks everybody for all your help. I was researching a bit more last
    >night, and what Dish or Direct want for their HD/DVR combo is just
    >outrageous. I'm definatley going to go with Replay. I'm not to
    >worried about it recording the HD channels, currently there are only 4
    >or 5, not to many. One more question for everybody, which model is
    >the best to get at the best price? On replays site, I saw they had
    >the 5504 for around 100.00 after rebate, is that a good one?

    It's good. You can always replace the disk if you want more recording
    time.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:45:52 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Jeannine wrote:
    >
    >> Currently at home we have Dish Networks 811 HD receiver. We've been
    >> looking at buying a DVR, and I came across replay. I liked the replay
    >> features a lot better than Tivos. My question is this, will I be able
    >> to hook my satellite reciver up through the replay unit, and still get
    >> good quality pictures on my tv? I really don't want to use the RCA
    >> in/out because they seem to degrade the picture. And we also have a
    >> really nice sound system at home, so I would like to be able to hook
    >> the replay up to my hd receiver without degrading the quality. Has
    >> anybody been able to do this successfully?
    >> Thanks
    >
    >First, Condgradulations on making the best choice in DVR (Replay is much
    >more versitle than Tivo)

    Yes, it is.

    >Second... You have choices in your inputs with the Replay
    >
    >1: RF (Antenna) in
    >2: RCA (Video, audio left, audio right)

    RCA is not a signal type, like the others you listed. This jack type
    is used for composite video and analog audio, as well as coaxial
    optical (NOT found on Replay) and component video (Replay output
    only).

    >3: S-Video (Seperated chroma and luma/sync info, far superior to
    >composit)

    It's "far superior" only if you have an unusually high quality
    source. Usually it's no netter than composite.

    I tried S-video (Replay input) but went back to composite because of
    the poor physical reliability (the connectors fall out much more
    easily). That really messes up automatic recordings. Actually getting
    the recording was more important than a slight improvement in video
    quality.

    > This can be used with RCA audio cables (left/right)
    >
    >This is for the video
    >
    >For audio you have RF, RCA and S/Pdif (Either coax of Tosslink-optical)
    >
    >This is superior as well, though my ears are not that good

    Looks like you're confusing inputs and outputs.

    S/Pdif (optical only, NO coaxial) is available for OUTPUT only.

    >In short, you have options, RF is the worst, S-Video with digital audio
    >is the best, You may mix and match.
    >
    >One caravat though.. Default settings are RF and RCA (line 1 or line 2)
    >
    >Line 2 can be re-set to use S-Video and/or Digital audio
    >
    >The unit has selections in out puts too but generally all are active so
    >you plug in what you wish to use

    Except you have to enable the component video output, which you left
    out.

    >1: RF (Chan 3 here I think you can change it)
    >2: S-Video with your choice of Analog or digital (optical or coax) audio
    >
    >And there are two Analog video/audio out lines as well if memory serves.

    You can't look? Even in the manual?

    >A very versitle machine

    Somewhat better arranged:

    Replay input options:

    1. RF (built-in tuner)
    2. composite video (2 inputs available)
    3. analog audio (stereo) (2 inputs available)
    4. s-video (uses input 2 only)

    Total 3 inputs available (includes RF):

    1. composite video/analog audio
    2. composite video or s-video/analog audio
    3. RF (ANT/CATV)

    Replay output options:

    1. RF (ch 3/4, WORST QUALITY)
    2. composite video (2 outputs)
    3. analog audio (stereo) (2 outputs)
    4. s-video
    5. component video (RGB on 4xxx, YPbPr on 5xxx)
    6. digital audio (optical)

    All outputs available all the time, except #5 which has to be enabled.

    #5 and #6 would have the best quality, but will be limited because
    there are no comparable INPUTS.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    If your looking for cheap, the best priced one I found so far is on
    AMAZON.com for $104.00 with Free shipping
    plus you get a $50 rebate if you buy before 12/31/04 (around $54 for a
    5504)

    Jeannine wrote:
    > Thanks everybody for all your help. I was researching a bit more last
    > night, and what Dish or Direct want for their HD/DVR combo is just
    > outrageous. I'm definatley going to go with Replay. I'm not to
    > worried about it recording the HD channels, currently there are only 4
    > or 5, not to many. One more question for everybody, which model is
    > the best to get at the best price? On replays site, I saw they had
    > the 5504 for around 100.00 after rebate, is that a good one?

    5040 are better, but you won't find them on DNNA's site anymore, so the
    5504 is your best value now. You can get a refurb 5504 for $50 after
    rebate.

    I have a ReplayTV5508 and a dish 811. works fine - not sure about the sound
    system. Make sure you upgrade to the latest software version (Build 144) or
    the channels won't change correctly. Use the S-video connection, if
    possible. I haven't used it to record any of the HD channels but I'm pretty
    sure the picture quality won't be as good because ReplayTV is not yet
    designed for HD.
    Jimbo
    "Jeannine" <redgem@mlode.com> wrote in message
    > Currently at home we have Dish Networks 811 HD receiver. We've been
    > looking at buying a DVR, and I came across replay. I liked the replay
    > features a lot better than Tivos. My question is this, will I be able
    > to hook my satellite reciver up through the replay unit, and still get
    > good quality pictures on my tv? I really don't want to use the RCA
    > in/out because they seem to degrade the picture. And we also have a
    > really nice sound system at home, so I would like to be able to hook
    > the replay up to my hd receiver without degrading the quality. Has
    > anybody been able to do this successfully?
    > Thanks
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Jimbo" <imbojay@att.net> wrote in message news:<V%qgd.41235$OD2.37104@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
    > I have a ReplayTV5508 and a dish 811. works fine - not sure about the sound
    > system. Make sure you upgrade to the latest software version (Build 144) or
    > the channels won't change correctly. Use the S-video connection, if
    > possible. I haven't used it to record any of the HD channels but I'm pretty
    > sure the picture quality won't be as good because ReplayTV is not yet
    > designed for HD.
    > Jimbo
    > "Jeannine" <redgem@mlode.com> wrote in message
    > > Currently at home we have Dish Networks 811 HD receiver. We've been
    > > looking at buying a DVR, and I came across replay. I liked the replay
    > > features a lot better than Tivos. My question is this, will I be able
    > > to hook my satellite reciver up through the replay unit, and still get
    > > good quality pictures on my tv? I really don't want to use the RCA
    > > in/out because they seem to degrade the picture. And we also have a
    > > really nice sound system at home, so I would like to be able to hook
    > > the replay up to my hd receiver without degrading the quality. Has
    > > anybody been able to do this successfully?
    > > Thanks

    I currently am looking to do the same thing. whatIR codes did you use
    to control your Dish811 receiver??
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:45:52 GMT, John in Detroit
    >>First, Condgradulations on making the best choice in DVR (Replay is much
    >>more versitle than Tivo)
    >Yes, it is.

    That depends largely on context, they both do things the other unit
    doesn't.

    I like burning DVDs in the unit, without having to mess with my PC at
    all - TiVo offers that (on 5 different models), RTV doesn't.

    With the 5500 RTV's main advantage is DVArchive. And I wish TiVo
    would get around to delivering cooperative scheduling, which they've
    mentioned in the past. That is a nice feature on RTV.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:17:49 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    (MegaZone) wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:45:52 GMT, John in Detroit
    >>>First, Condgradulations on making the best choice in DVR (Replay is much
    >>>more versitle than Tivo)
    >>Yes, it is.
    >
    >That depends largely on context, they both do things the other unit
    >doesn't.
    >
    >I like burning DVDs in the unit, without having to mess with my PC at
    >all -

    I'd change "have to" to "get to" and use a good editing program. PCs
    are much more versatile.

    > TiVo offers that (on 5 different models), RTV doesn't.
    >
    >With the 5500 RTV's main advantage is DVArchive. And I wish TiVo
    >would get around to delivering cooperative scheduling, which they've
    >mentioned in the past. That is a nice feature on RTV.
    >
    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Joel <joel@noemail.here> shaped the electrons to say:
    >I'd change "have to" to "get to" and use a good editing program. PCs
    >are much more versatile.

    Yes, but it is convenience - I burned 13 copies of Farscape: The
    Peacekeeper Wars (26 DVD-Rs) the week it aired. I could just pop a
    blank into the machine and start it off - while I used my laptop for
    other things, including the drive. And I could watch other programs
    while it burned the disc.

    I also have a co-worker who is into Columbo, but she can't get Bravo.
    So I record it daily and when I get home I toss in a DVD-RW and kick
    off the burn while I go about my business. When she's done she gives
    them back and I recycle them. If I had to wait for a transfer to my
    PC and mess with the burning there it wouldn't be worth doing.

    If I want to do that, I will have TiVoToGo soon enough. Right now I
    can also dump things to DVD-RW and then edit the contents on a PC if I
    need to.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:32:45 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    (MegaZone) wrote:

    >Joel <joel@noemail.here> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>I'd change "have to" to "get to" and use a good editing program. PCs
    >>are much more versatile.
    >
    >Yes, but it is convenience - I burned 13 copies of Farscape: The
    >Peacekeeper Wars (26 DVD-Rs) the week it aired.

    There is no more extra work for multiple copies from a PC than from
    that machine. You just5 select the number of copies.

    > I could just pop a
    >blank into the machine and start it off - while I used my laptop for
    >other things, including the drive.

    The video editing and DVD authoring can be very CPU-intensive, but you
    can still do other things.

    Also, consider the big difference between "easier" and "better". I
    tend to prefer "better".

    > And I could watch other programs
    >while it burned the disc.

    Of course, you could do this either way.

    >I also have a co-worker who is into Columbo, but she can't get Bravo.
    >So I record it daily and when I get home I toss in a DVD-RW and kick
    >off the burn while I go about my business. When she's done she gives
    >them back and I recycle them. If I had to wait for a transfer to my
    >PC and mess with the burning there it wouldn't be worth doing.
    >
    >If I want to do that, I will have TiVoToGo soon enough. Right now I
    >can also dump things to DVD-RW and then edit the contents on a PC if I
    >need to.
    >
    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Also, consider the big difference between "easier" and "better". I
    >tend to prefer "better".

    People asked me for copies because they missed the show, or it wasn't
    aired where they are - I was nice enough to use my blanks, cases, and
    pay the postage to get them the discs. I didn't feel like doing any
    editing, I have better things to do.

    Frankly I never bother editing shows I archive, even for myself - I
    never have. It is easy enough to skip the ads on playback, and it
    just doesn't matter enough for me to bother editing them all out. And
    media is so cheap that I don't really care if I use another disc.

    My PC is more that up to it - Athlon64 with 512MB (I'll probably bump
    it to 1GB at some point), and it even came with video editing software
    (it is an HP laptop), it just isn't something I care enough about to
    bother with. On the rare occaision where I might, I can do it - today
    I use DVD-RW to ferry the data, shortly I'll use my LAN and TiVoToGo.

    For me moving content to a PC is just no big deal, I can't be arsed.
    Most of the stuff I burn is for someone else so I just toss in a
    blank, hit a few buttons, and it is done in minutes. No fuss, no
    waiting for a transfer, no editing. And the burning is easier than
    with PC software. If you really like editing things and optimizing
    the burn you'd want to do it on a PC.

    Now, if it were a transparent, bidirectional system I might setup a TB
    media server just because.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:41:17 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    (MegaZone) wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>Also, consider the big difference between "easier" and "better". I
    >>tend to prefer "better".
    >
    >People asked me for copies because they missed the show, or it wasn't
    >aired where they are - I was nice enough to use my blanks, cases, and
    >pay the postage to get them the discs.

    Of course, I would need about half that many of each.

    > I didn't feel like doing any
    >editing, I have better things to do.

    OK. People are different.

    >Frankly I never bother editing shows I archive, even for myself - I
    >never have.

    I didn't with a VCR, since it was too stressfun watching those
    commercials carefully and hoping to press pause (to resume recording)
    at exactly the right moment.

    > It is easy enough to skip the ads on playback,

    Yes. I suppose the difference is just that doing it on recording means
    doing it once (and more efficient use of media, effeciency makjes
    sense).

    > and it
    >just doesn't matter enough for me to bother editing them all out. And
    >media is so cheap that I don't really care if I use another disc.

    As someone once said, no matter how little it's still money.

    >My PC is more that up to it - Athlon64 with 512MB (I'll probably bump
    >it to 1GB at some point), and it even came with video editing software

    Sounds good. I'd consider speed (FSB speed is important, maybe more
    than CPU speed).

    >(it is an HP laptop), it just isn't something I care enough about to
    >bother with.

    Hopefully, there are other things (maybe not video-related) you care
    about.

    > On the rare occaision where I might, I can do it - today
    >I use DVD-RW to ferry the data, shortly I'll use my LAN and TiVoToGo.

    A feature (TiVoToGo) that attempts to duplicate something the Replays
    can do anyway. That makes TiVo something like AOL. These "new"
    features that incompletely duplicate things others have already had.

    BTW, I recently heard of a new TiVo unfeature, the software will
    delete recordings of PPV events.

    >For me moving content to a PC is just no big deal,

    Have you done it? It could be like remote controls used to be.
    Seemingly unimportant to people who've never used one.

    >I can't be arsed.

    ??

    >Most of the stuff I burn is for someone else so I just toss in a
    >blank, hit a few buttons, and it is done in minutes.

    I'd still like to do a good job.

    > No fuss, no
    >waiting for a transfer, no editing.

    I do edit the video to remove commercials (and PBS does have
    commercials now, although fewer and I haven't seen any offensive ones
    yet other than maybe those "pledge breaks").

    BTW, an hour show (on commercial TV) is about 45 minutes long. A DVD-R
    can hold about 7 "hours" of these.

    > And the burning is easier than
    >with PC software. If you really like editing things and optimizing
    >the burn you'd want to do it on a PC.

    You have more control over the result. As I said, people are
    different.

    >Now, if it were a transparent, bidirectional system I might setup a TB
    >media server just because.

    1 Terabyte would hold about 1177 hours of video from the Replay.

    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    MegaZone wrote:

    > I also have a co-worker who is into Columbo, but she can't get Bravo.
    > So I record it daily and when I get home I toss in a DVD-RW and kick
    > off the burn while I go about my business. When she's done she gives
    > them back and I recycle them. If I had to wait for a transfer to my
    > PC and mess with the burning there it wouldn't be worth doing.

    Humm, wait for transfer to the PC... I don't know.... Shows routinely
    transfer here at odd times like 3am when I'm sound asleep

    One thing folks forget is DVArchive, in fact many programs, can do their
    things while you sleep...... I have a program running (Well had, it's
    finished now, for this week) pre-scheduled on one of my other computers
    this very evening,,, What's more I was using the computer when the
    program popped up, did not affect anything I was doing
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:15:57 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >MegaZone wrote:
    >

    >> I also have a co-worker who is into Columbo, but she can't get Bravo.
    >> So I record it daily and when I get home I toss in a DVD-RW and kick
    >> off the burn while I go about my business. When she's done she gives
    >> them back and I recycle them. If I had to wait for a transfer to my
    >> PC and mess with the burning there it wouldn't be worth doing.
    >
    >Humm, wait for transfer to the PC... I don't know.... Shows routinely
    >transfer here at odd times like 3am when I'm sound asleep
    >
    >One thing folks forget is DVArchive, in fact many programs, can do their
    >things while you sleep...... I have a program running (Well had, it's
    >finished now, for this week) pre-scheduled on one of my other computers
    >this very evening,,, What's more I was using the computer when the
    >program popped up, did not affect anything I was doing

    I have DVArchive set up to automatically transfer all shows from all
    Replays "export" category. where the Replay is programmed to store the
    shows I want to put on DVD. I keep a window to that directory open all
    the time on my computer. Whenever I go to use the computer, I can find
    several shows there ready to work on. It was all automatic up to
    there.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I used Code 775, without any modifications, from software build 144. works
    fine on the 811.

    Jimbo

    "rweav" <rweavis@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Jimbo" <imbojay@att.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a ReplayTV5508 and a dish 811. works fine - not sure about the
    sound
    > > system. Make sure you upgrade to the latest software version (Build
    144) or
    > > the channels won't change correctly. Use the S-video connection, if
    > > possible. I haven't used it to record any of the HD channels but I'm
    pretty
    > > sure the picture quality won't be as good because ReplayTV is not yet
    > > designed for HD.
    > > Jimbo
    > > "Jeannine" <redgem@mlode.com> wrote in message
    > > > Currently at home we have Dish Networks 811 HD receiver. We've been
    > > > looking at buying a DVR, and I came across replay. I liked the replay
    > > > features a lot better than Tivos. My question is this, will I be able
    > > > to hook my satellite reciver up through the replay unit, and still get
    > > > good quality pictures on my tv? I really don't want to use the RCA
    > > > in/out because they seem to degrade the picture. And we also have a
    > > > really nice sound system at home, so I would like to be able to hook
    > > > the replay up to my hd receiver without degrading the quality. Has
    > > > anybody been able to do this successfully?
    > > > Thanks
    >
    > I currently am looking to do the same thing. whatIR codes did you use
    > to control your Dish811 receiver??
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:45:52 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Jeannine wrote:
    >
    >> Currently at home we have Dish Networks 811 HD receiver. We've been
    >> looking at buying a DVR, and I came across replay. I liked the replay
    >> features a lot better than Tivos. My question is this, will I be able
    >> to hook my satellite reciver up through the replay unit, and still get
    >> good quality pictures on my tv? I really don't want to use the RCA
    >> in/out because they seem to degrade the picture. And we also have a
    >> really nice sound system at home, so I would like to be able to hook
    >> the replay up to my hd receiver without degrading the quality. Has
    >> anybody been able to do this successfully?
    >> Thanks
    >
    >First, Condgradulations on making the best choice in DVR (Replay is much
    >more versitle than Tivo)

    Yes, it is.

    >Second... You have choices in your inputs with the Replay
    >
    >1: RF (Antenna) in
    >2: RCA (Video, audio left, audio right)
    >3: S-Video (Seperated chroma and luma/sync info, far superior to
    >composit) This can be
    (is)
    > used with RCA audio cables (left/right)

    POTENTIALLY far superior. In most cases will give you very little
    improvement over composite, considering that this is often derived
    from composite (or even RF). The superiority of S-video is often like
    an 8-inch pipe fed from a half-inch hose.

    >This is for the video
    >
    >For audio you have RF, RCA and S/Pdif (Either coax of Tosslink-optical)

    There is no S/Pdif input (one would be useful, if the Replay could
    actually record digital audio). That connector is only for output.

    >This is superior as well, though my ears are not that good
    >
    >In short, you have options, RF is the worst, S-Video with digital audio
    >is the best, You may mix and match.
    >
    >One caravat though.. Default settings are RF and RCA (line 1 or line 2)
    >
    >Line 2 can be re-set to use S-Video and/or Digital audio
    >
    >The unit has selections in out puts too but generally all are active so
    >you plug in what you wish to use

    The 5xxx units have component video (of limited use, since there's no
    component video input), which has to be enabled. This is not to be
    confused with composite video, which is always working.

    >1: RF (Chan 3 here I think you can change it)

    3 or 4. I never use the RF output (again, worst quality), but do
    explore the menu system. If you really want RF (such as for
    distribution to multiple TVs) use a good external modulator.

    >2: S-Video with your choice of Analog or digital (optical or coax) audio

    There is no coax digital jack on the Replay (only optical). I have a
    DVD player that has one. The Replay does not.

    >And there are two Analog video/audio out lines as well if memory serves.

    Really 3. 2 composite & 1 S-video.

    >A very versitle machine

    Yes.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > There is no coax digital jack on the Replay (only optical). I have a
    > DVD player that has one. The Replay does not.

    If you want coax digital I can get it for you for under $75.00, Or
    rather I can tell you where to get it. (See link below)

    http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-OPTICAL-COAX

    Note, if you reverse the OPTICAL-COAX to COAX-OPTICAL you get the other
    way Fifty bucks or less, the other 25 was shipping and an optical
    cable (Since all my audio stuff has S/Pdif Optical in, And one device I
    have has only coax out, I have the Coax-Optical version, works perfectly)

    http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MM-CO3

    This one has SCMS management... Useful in my situtation, However I have
    another device to kill SCMS, which is the one with coax out
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:33:49 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> There is no coax digital jack on the Replay (only optical). I have a
    >> DVD player that has one. The Replay does not.
    >
    >If you want coax digital I can get it for you for under $75.00, Or
    >rather I can tell you where to get it. (See link below)
    >
    >http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-OPTICAL-COAX

    I'm not using optical at this time, but will keep this information for
    possible later use.

    >Note, if you reverse the OPTICAL-COAX to COAX-OPTICAL you get the other
    >way

    That page seems to say the device works only one way. Would you be
    referring to another device?

    > Fifty bucks or less, the other 25 was shipping and an optical
    >cable (Since all my audio stuff has S/Pdif Optical in, And one device I
    >have has only coax out, I have the Coax-Optical version, works perfectly)
    >
    >http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MM-CO3
    >
    >This one has SCMS management... Useful in my situtation, However I have
    >another device to kill SCMS, which is the one with coax out

    SCMS, like other such "protection" systems are undesirable. Like I
    said before, I do support copyright restrictions. However, what's
    wrong is hardware/software trying to enforce them without the
    appropriate intelligence.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:33:49 GMT, John in Detroit
    > <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >>

    >>>There is no coax digital jack on the Replay (only optical). I have a
    >>>DVD player that has one. The Replay does not.
    >>
    >>If you want coax digital I can get it for you for under $75.00, Or
    >>rather I can tell you where to get it. (See link below)
    >>
    >>http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-OPTICAL-COAX
    >>

    > I'm not using optical at this time, but will keep this information for
    > possible later use.
    >

    >>Note, if you reverse the OPTICAL-COAX to COAX-OPTICAL you get the other
    >>way
    >

    > That page seems to say the device works only one way. Would you be
    > referring to another device?

    Yes, there are two devices, the URL's are nearly identical, Just reverse
    the "COAX" and "OPTICAL" elements of the URL to get the other unit.

    Chris has a lot of other simular devices some of which are 2 way with
    multiple inputs and outputs by the way... I have the coax->optical
    converter here

    >> Fifty bucks or less, the other 25 was shipping and an optical
    >>cable (Since all my audio stuff has S/Pdif Optical in, And one device I
    >>have has only coax out, I have the Coax-Optical version, works perfectly)
    >>
    >>http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MM-CO3
    >>
    >>This one has SCMS management... Useful in my situtation, However I have
    >>another device to kill SCMS, which is the one with coax out
    >

    > SCMS, like other such "protection" systems are undesirable. Like I
    > said before, I do support copyright restrictions. However, what's
    > wrong is hardware/software trying to enforce them without the
    > appropriate intelligence.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:30:55 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:33:49 GMT, John in Detroit
    >> <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >>>If you want coax digital I can get it for you for under $75.00, Or
    >>>rather I can tell you where to get it. (See link below)
    >>>
    >>>http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-OPTICAL-COAX
    >>>

    >> I'm not using optical at this time, but will keep this information for
    >> possible later use.
    >>

    >>>Note, if you reverse the OPTICAL-COAX to COAX-OPTICAL you get the other
    >>>way
    >>

    >> That page seems to say the device works only one way. Would you be
    >> referring to another device?
    >
    >Yes, there are two devices, the URL's are nearly identical, Just reverse
    >the "COAX" and "OPTICAL" elements of the URL to get the other unit.

    Reversing the words in the URL does work. The way you said it just
    made it look like you reversed the connections on the device itself.

    >Chris has a lot of other simular devices some of which are 2 way with
    >multiple inputs and outputs by the way... I have the coax->optical
    >converter here

    I have seen a composite video -- S-video adapter that was itself
    reversible.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx