Upgraded to 200gb, but only get 80hours

I upgraded my 40hour Replay 5040 from 40gb to a 200gb hard drive.
However, the Replay only records another 80 hours (I previously had about
5 hours left) at medium quality, even though I increased capacity by 5
times (I should go from 40 hours to about 200 hours, so I should have over
160 hours). Is this correct, or should I be looking into this?

Thanks!

--
Bob in CT
6 answers Last reply

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:35:30 -0500, "Bob M" <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >I upgraded my 40hour Replay 5040 from 40gb to a 200gb hard drive.
    >However, the Replay only records another 80 hours (I previously had about
    >5 hours left) at medium quality, even though I increased capacity by 5
    >times (I should go from 40 hours to about 200 hours, so I should have over
    >160 hours). Is this correct, or should I be looking into this?
    >
    >Thanks!

    Looks like you forgot to use the "patch drive" command in "RTVPatch".
    The software thinks you haven't changed size.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:56:46 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

    > Bob M <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote:
    > : I upgraded my 40hour Replay 5040 from 40gb to a 200gb hard drive.
    > : However, the Replay only records another 80 hours (I previously had
    > about
    > : 5 hours left) at medium quality, even though I increased capacity by 5
    > : times (I should go from 40 hours to about 200 hours, so I should have
    > over
    > : 160 hours). Is this correct, or should I be looking into this?
    >
    > At what quality setting are you recording at? Did you move shows from
    > the
    > old partition to the new one?
    >
    > A 200 GB Hard disk will record ~200 hrs at standard, 100 at medium, and
    > ~67
    > at high.
    >
    > In addition, did you PATCH the hard disk? And, does the machine you used
    > to PATCH the hard disk recognize hard drives over 137 GB?
    >
    > -Doug

    I think my generic setting is medium. I did patch the hard disk. I did
    copy my old stuff over. I used a windows XP home edition PC, and it saw
    the whole 200gb. Is there a way to check how much the replay sees?

    --
    Bob in CT

    "Bob M" <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote in

    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:56:46 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    ><douglas@panix.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Bob M <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >> : I upgraded my 40hour Replay 5040 from 40gb to a 200gb hard drive.
    >> : However, the Replay only records another 80 hours (I previously had
    >> :
    >> about
    >> : 5 hours left) at medium quality, even though I increased capacity
    >> : by 5 times (I should go from 40 hours to about 200 hours, so I
    >> : should have
    >> over
    >> : 160 hours). Is this correct, or should I be looking into this?
    >>
    >> At what quality setting are you recording at? Did you move shows
    >> from the
    >> old partition to the new one?
    >>
    >> A 200 GB Hard disk will record ~200 hrs at standard, 100 at medium,
    >> and ~67
    >> at high.
    >>
    >> In addition, did you PATCH the hard disk? And, does the machine you
    >> used to PATCH the hard disk recognize hard drives over 137 GB?
    >>
    >> -Doug
    >
    > I think my generic setting is medium. I did patch the hard disk. I
    > did copy my old stuff over. I used a windows XP home edition PC, and
    > it saw the whole 200gb. Is there a way to check how much the replay
    > sees?

    Sounds about right to me. Give or take about 5GB.
    You moved up to a 200GB drive, at record at Medium quality, which would
    yield about 100 hours of record time. BUT you copied over some existing
    recordings as well (probably 15GB worth based on a 40GB with 20 hours
    capacity at Meidum and only 5 Hrs available).

    The discprency could be a show recorded at either standard or High
    quality, or perhaps it has a lot of motion resulting in a slightly
    larger overall size.

    If in doubt, you could clear you show partition, set the default to
    Standard and view the available time.

    Even better, fire up DvArchive and it will tell you how big a drive the
    RTV has, the space used and available.

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:47:39 GMT, Steph <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT>
    wrote:

    > "Bob M" <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:56:46 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    >> <douglas@panix.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bob M <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >>> : I upgraded my 40hour Replay 5040 from 40gb to a 200gb hard drive.
    >>> : However, the Replay only records another 80 hours (I previously had
    >>> :
    >>> about
    >>> : 5 hours left) at medium quality, even though I increased capacity
    >>> : by 5 times (I should go from 40 hours to about 200 hours, so I
    >>> : should have
    >>> over
    >>> : 160 hours). Is this correct, or should I be looking into this?
    >>>
    >>> At what quality setting are you recording at? Did you move shows
    >>> from the
    >>> old partition to the new one?
    >>>
    >>> A 200 GB Hard disk will record ~200 hrs at standard, 100 at medium,
    >>> and ~67
    >>> at high.
    >>>
    >>> In addition, did you PATCH the hard disk? And, does the machine you
    >>> used to PATCH the hard disk recognize hard drives over 137 GB?
    >>>
    >>> -Doug
    >>
    >> I think my generic setting is medium. I did patch the hard disk. I
    >> did copy my old stuff over. I used a windows XP home edition PC, and
    >> it saw the whole 200gb. Is there a way to check how much the replay
    >> sees?
    >>

    > Sounds about right to me. Give or take about 5GB.
    > You moved up to a 200GB drive, at record at Medium quality, which would
    > yield about 100 hours of record time. BUT you copied over some existing
    > recordings as well (probably 15GB worth based on a 40GB with 20 hours
    > capacity at Meidum and only 5 Hrs available).
    >
    > The discprency could be a show recorded at either standard or High
    > quality, or perhaps it has a lot of motion resulting in a slightly
    > larger overall size.
    >
    > If in doubt, you could clear you show partition, set the default to
    > Standard and view the available time.
    >
    > Even better, fire up DvArchive and it will tell you how big a drive the
    > RTV has, the space used and available.

    Thanks, I think you are right. I do have two shows recorded at high
    quality (two movies, which I've yet to watch). The rest is recorded at
    standard. I'll look into DvArchive. I thought the upgrade process was
    very easy (although the instructions I had didn't match the program
    exactly).

    --
    Bob in CT

    In article <csp3gs$j07$1@reader2.panix.com>,
    General Kireiko <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

    > A 200 GB Hard Disk will give you 100 hours of recording.

    At MEDIUM quality.

    It will happily give 200 hours of recording at standard quality.

    Funny thing--I burn CDs from standard quality stuff, and there's no
    re-encoding, and they look GREAT.

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:20:39 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >In article <csp3gs$j07$1@reader2.panix.com>,
    > General Kireiko <douglas@panix.com> wrote:
    >
    >> A 200 GB Hard Disk will give you 100 hours of recording.
    >
    >At MEDIUM quality.
    >
    >It will happily give 200 hours of recording at standard quality.
    >
    >Funny thing--I burn CDs from standard quality stuff, and there's no
    >re-encoding, and they look GREAT.

    I do too, and I get up to 7 "hours"* on a standard (not DL) DVD-R.

    * - I'm referring to 7 hours of TV shows with the commercials removed.
    That's about 45 minutes per "hour", or 5 1/4 actual hours.

    BTW, the RF adapter (MRF-200 with MX-800 remote) does work. I now have
    independant control of my 3 Replays.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx