Fortec Lifetime Ultra -CKu band help?

I just got a Fortec Lifetime Ultra and am currently using it for
amc4 -ku(K4).

I have not bothered to hook up the c band cable yet.I have used a diseqC sw.
before,but this receiver's menu puzzles me a bit.

ie: for amc 4,it is all one menu for all frequencies.Is there any way to set
it so for ku band,lnbf pwr is on,but "off" for C band.

Since I don't have ku band yet,the other sats are no problem.

Before I had a Pansat 2100a,so I'm finding this rcvr's menus a fair bit
different!
9 answers Last reply
More about fortec lifetime ultra cku band
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    That's the same question I asked earlier. I'm disappointed with the Ultra,
    I prefer my older DVB-786NA model. I really don't see the improvement of
    the Ultra over this older model, and in fact, it is missing the Receiver/TV
    switch on the remote.

    From what I see, for example on G0, there are two satellite entries, one for
    Ku and one for C. For other satellites such as W4, there is only the one
    entry. I guess there must be a way to add another satellite entry to
    support both bands, but I have not yet investigated how to do that. If
    there is not, it is a really poor design.

    As for the manual, it is of little use.

    Greg O.

    "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a Fortec Lifetime Ultra and am currently using it for
    >amc4 -ku(K4).
    >
    > I have not bothered to hook up the c band cable yet.I have used a diseqC
    > sw. before,but this receiver's menu puzzles me a bit.
    >
    > ie: for amc 4,it is all one menu for all frequencies.Is there any way to
    > set it so for ku band,lnbf pwr is on,but "off" for C band.
    >
    > Since I don't have ku band yet,the other sats are no problem.
    >
    > Before I had a Pansat 2100a,so I'm finding this rcvr's menus a fair bit
    > different!

  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Same here.That's my question: Why did they add c\ku entries for T5(IA5) and
    G10,whereas they made single entries for other sats.On top of that,there are
    a lot of unecessary sat entries.

    It would've been nice to have the sat entries in better order,too.

    How many new sats can one enter anyway?The manual tells how to do it,but it
    doesn't tell how many sats the receiver holds.ie: I entered a new W4\C,but
    it won't take anymore,so if I delete some of those nss sats,will it let me
    make new ones.They haven't got anything west of T7!

    I'm impressed with the receiver's ease of use,ability to dig out signals
    that my pansat 2100 couldn't find(unless I removed the diseqC sw!),the
    powerscan and so on,but I don't think it would've been too hard for them to
    devise the sat menu in such a way that one could sw. off lnb power to c band
    and leave it on for ku.

    The manual is sparce,but adequate.

    Here's what I've done -for now:

    (If I had a high-frequency splitter with 1 port power pass handy I could
    probably use that and leave lnb power on)

    I have 1 ku dish for K4 (AMC4\ku) and 1 7.5 ft c band dish.I have used an
    a/b sw.When I want to got to C band,I go into the menu,turn off lnb
    power(why'd they have to make it affect all sats?),then flip the a/b sw. to
    c band,then sw. to a c band channel (go to my 922 to move the dish to the
    appropriate sat)...etc.

    I'll live with it,but I won't recommend it except for ku only service,or for
    a setup where maybe somebody is using a combination of c and ku band,and/or
    cx band only,and/or ku onlu dishes all with lnbfs!

    "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > That's the same question I asked earlier. I'm disappointed with the
    > Ultra, I prefer my older DVB-786NA model. I really don't see the
    > improvement of the Ultra over this older model, and in fact, it is missing
    > the Receiver/TV switch on the remote.
    >
    > From what I see, for example on G0, there are two satellite entries, one
    > for Ku and one for C. For other satellites such as W4, there is only the
    > one entry. I guess there must be a way to add another satellite entry to
    > support both bands, but I have not yet investigated how to do that. If
    > there is not, it is a really poor design.
    >
    > As for the manual, it is of little use.
    >
    > Greg O.
    >

    > "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I just got a Fortec Lifetime Ultra and am currently using it for
    >>amc4 -ku(K4).
    >>
    >> I have not bothered to hook up the c band cable yet.I have used a diseqC
    >> sw. before,but this receiver's menu puzzles me a bit.
    >>
    >> ie: for amc 4,it is all one menu for all frequencies.Is there any way to
    >> set it so for ku band,lnbf pwr is on,but "off" for C band.
    >>
    >> Since I don't have ku band yet,the other sats are no problem.
    >>
    >> Before I had a Pansat 2100a,so I'm finding this rcvr's menus a fair bit
    >> different!

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:50:17 GMT, "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >That's the same question I asked earlier. I'm disappointed with the Ultra,
    >I prefer my older DVB-786NA model. I really don't see the improvement of
    >the Ultra over this older model, and in fact, it is missing the Receiver/TV
    >switch on the remote.

    Trading that button for blind scan is a good thing.

    >From what I see, for example on G0, there are two satellite entries, one for
    >Ku and one for C. For other satellites such as W4, there is only the one
    >entry. I guess there must be a way to add another satellite entry to
    >support both bands, but I have not yet investigated how to do that. If
    >there is not, it is a really poor design.
    >
    >As for the manual, it is of little use.

    I made my ultra into a Pansat 2500a, much better interface IMO. I like
    blue. It is easy enough to add a sat in a Fortec with the remote.

    If you are smart, you will goto the Fortec website and download
    gtools, the channel editor and get a straight through serial cable and
    do it on the PC. Way easy.

    http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/
    http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/index.asp?task=infoform&VersionID=195
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:06:57 -0500, "Valdivar"
    <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >(If I had a high-frequency splitter with 1 port power pass handy I could
    >probably use that and leave lnb power on)

    I leave it on with four. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. More amps!

    >I have 1 ku dish for K4 (AMC4\ku) and 1 7.5 ft c band dish.I have used an
    >a/b sw.When I want to got to C band,I go into the menu,turn off lnb
    >power(why'd they have to make it affect all sats?),then flip the a/b sw. to
    >c band,then sw. to a c band channel (go to my 922 to move the dish to the
    >appropriate sat)...etc.
    >
    >I'll live with it,but I won't recommend it except for ku only service,or for
    >a setup where maybe somebody is using a combination of c and ku band,and/or
    >cx band only,and/or ku onlu dishes all with lnbfs!

    You need a diseq switch.

    I have port A on C band, port B on KU port C on 110 and port D on 110.
    Works great, you just specify it in the sat setup as well as the
    correct LO.. That is why they have two entries for the same sat. You
    can use a 22khz switch as well.
    The only thing that would be nice is an auto switcher for the
    polarotor, but it is easy enough to press the channel button on my
    922. :)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    But didn't the DVB-786NA do a blind scan? You could go into antenna setup
    and let it search a satellite for all transponders. I'm not seeing any
    channels with my Ultra that I couldn't already get with my DVB-786NA. So,
    what's the improvement? The only real difference I see is the UI is not as
    nice looking and we lost a useful button from an almost identical remote
    control, and the antenna setup is a little harder to understand.

    As for the Fortec website, I've already got a dead DVB-786NA as the result
    of their firmware upgrade. That is why I bought an Ultra. I don't want to
    risk ruining it, too. If anyone can help me restore my DVB-786NA, let me
    know.

    Greg O.

    "kryppy" <kryppy@gmail.cc> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:50:17 GMT, "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>That's the same question I asked earlier. I'm disappointed with the
    >>Ultra,
    >>I prefer my older DVB-786NA model. I really don't see the improvement of
    >>the Ultra over this older model, and in fact, it is missing the
    >>Receiver/TV
    >>switch on the remote.
    >
    > Trading that button for blind scan is a good thing.
    >

    >>From what I see, for example on G0, there are two satellite entries, one
    >>for
    >>Ku and one for C. For other satellites such as W4, there is only the one
    >>entry. I guess there must be a way to add another satellite entry to
    >>support both bands, but I have not yet investigated how to do that. If
    >>there is not, it is a really poor design.
    >>
    >>As for the manual, it is of little use.
    >

    > I made my ultra into a Pansat 2500a, much better interface IMO. I like
    > blue. It is easy enough to add a sat in a Fortec with the remote.
    >
    > If you are smart, you will goto the Fortec website and download
    > gtools, the channel editor and get a straight through serial cable and
    > do it on the PC. Way easy.
    >

    > http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/
    > http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/index.asp?task=infoform&VersionID=195

  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    I have 2 diseqC switches,1 x 2 way and 1 x 4 way.

    My understanding is though that 2 receivers can't send power to the lnb at
    the same time,else it will burn out.

    Too bad the fortec was set up like the pansat 2100,where you could sw, lnb
    power off for c band and on for ku band.

    I heard the Pansat 2500 and the Fortec Lifetime Ultra are the same receiver
    with a different look and different software?

    What's the advantage of changing the software?What the disadvantages?I read
    somewjere that using the wrong software can screw you receiver -and void
    your warranty.

    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:06:57 -0500, "Valdivar"
    > <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>(If I had a high-frequency splitter with 1 port power pass handy I could
    >>probably use that and leave lnb power on)
    >
    > I leave it on with four. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. More amps!
    >

    >>I have 1 ku dish for K4 (AMC4\ku) and 1 7.5 ft c band dish.I have used an
    >>a/b sw.When I want to got to C band,I go into the menu,turn off lnb
    >>power(why'd they have to make it affect all sats?),then flip the a/b sw.
    >>c band,then sw. to a c band channel (go to my 922 to move the dish to the
    >>appropriate sat)...etc.
    >>
    >>I'll live with it,but I won't recommend it except for ku only service,or
    >>for
    >>a setup where maybe somebody is using a combination of c and ku
    >>band,and/or
    >>cx band only,and/or ku onlu dishes all with lnbfs!
    >

    > You need a diseq switch.
    >
    > I have port A on C band, port B on KU port C on 110 and port D on 110.
    > Works great, you just specify it in the sat setup as well as the
    > correct LO.. That is why they have two entries for the same sat. You
    > can use a 22khz switch as well.
    > The only thing that would be nice is an auto switcher for the
    > polarotor, but it is easy enough to press the channel button on my
    > 922. :)

  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:12:27 -0500, "Valdivar"
    <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I have 2 diseqC switches,1 x 2 way and 1 x 4 way.
    >
    >My understanding is though that 2 receivers can't send power to the lnb at
    >the same time,else it will burn out.

    I do it with no problems. They are all parallel. It doesn't increase
    the voltage.
    RatShack has a power block for DC that's like $1.00. I use them
    sometimes on expensive commercial equipment I am afraid to hurt with
    my powered spectrum analyzer when I am out of one port power passives.
    The LNB will be OK, but you could damage the receiver I suppose so
    don't do it on my account. :)

    >Too bad the fortec was set up like the pansat 2100,where you could sw, lnb
    >power off for c band and on for ku band.
    >
    >I heard the Pansat 2500 and the Fortec Lifetime Ultra are the same receiver
    >with a different look and different software?

    Yes, and some extra connections in a real 2500a. UHF box for one

    >What's the advantage of changing the software?What the disadvantages?I read
    >somewjere that using the wrong software can screw you receiver -and void
    >your warranty.

    Downside is you need a Pansat remote. Bad if you don't have one.

    Worst thing that can happen is the receiver won't power on after
    flashing it with firmware.
    I suspect this happens to people with junk computers and maybe bad
    house power. If you have a power cut during flashing who knows what
    might happen, but you can always solder to the JTag port inside and
    revive it.
    Your take on that depends on your soldering experience. Five wires to
    a DB-25 is hardly a task for some people, and impossible for others.

    I have changed my Ultra and 2500a back and fourth so many times I
    can't count and have never had any issues. I have also made my 100e
    into a 2300a :)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    My DVB-786NA is dead after a firmware upgrade. What does a jtag accomplish?
    I have already tried just about everything else.

    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:12:27 -0500, "Valdivar"
    > <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have 2 diseqC switches,1 x 2 way and 1 x 4 way.
    >>
    >>My understanding is though that 2 receivers can't send power to the lnb at
    >>the same time,else it will burn out.
    >

    > I do it with no problems. They are all parallel. It doesn't increase
    > the voltage.
    > RatShack has a power block for DC that's like $1.00. I use them
    > sometimes on expensive commercial equipment I am afraid to hurt with
    > my powered spectrum analyzer when I am out of one port power passives.
    > The LNB will be OK, but you could damage the receiver I suppose so
    > don't do it on my account. :)
    >

    >>Too bad the fortec was set up like the pansat 2100,where you could sw, lnb
    >>power off for c band and on for ku band.
    >>
    >>I heard the Pansat 2500 and the Fortec Lifetime Ultra are the same
    >>receiver
    >>with a different look and different software?
    >
    > Yes, and some extra connections in a real 2500a. UHF box for one
    >>
    >>What's the advantage of changing the software?What the disadvantages?I
    >>read
    >>somewjere that using the wrong software can screw you receiver -and void
    >>your warranty.
    >

    > Downside is you need a Pansat remote. Bad if you don't have one.
    >
    > Worst thing that can happen is the receiver won't power on after
    > flashing it with firmware.
    > I suspect this happens to people with junk computers and maybe bad
    > house power. If you have a power cut during flashing who knows what
    > might happen, but you can always solder to the JTag port inside and
    > revive it.
    > Your take on that depends on your soldering experience. Five wires to
    > a DB-25 is hardly a task for some people, and impossible for others.
    >
    > I have changed my Ultra and 2500a back and fourth so many times I
    > can't count and have never had any issues. I have also made my 100e
    > into a 2300a :)

  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:31:55 GMT, "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >My DVB-786NA is dead after a firmware upgrade. What does a jtag accomplish?
    >I have already tried just about everything else.
    >
    >Greg O.

    JTAG allows you to program the entire flash with low level hardware/PC
    Software, regarless of the state of the system flash.

MPEG DVB Internet Explorer