Recover SD card from Nikon Camera

kmkn

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Hi,

I am using a nikon camera, I have format my sd card and took more picture into that sd card. As Nikon camera gave file-name automatically such is DSC_001, DSC_002 and so on, when I tried using recovery software to recover my picture, I only manage to recover those that isn't overwritten with the same file-name.

As the file size is different, the only reason recovery software couldn't recover picture that the camera has create the same file-name after formatting is done is due to allocation table. I suspect that the file allocation table has overwritten the file-name making recovery software unable to retrieve the file. I think the picture is still there, is there any way to recover this file?

Thank you

It is more likely that the data for the new pictures has overwritten the space that the old pictures were in. If that is the case, they cannot be recovered in any way, since the actual data was overwritten and is no longer on the drive.

What recovery software have you tried?

julia_bell_0830

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

Hello, kmkn. I guess you might consider the problem to be too complicated. Data recovery software does not need to know the name of the lost files during the recovery process. It just scans the storage device, locate the data meet certain file formats, and extract them out. If the storage spaces previously occupied by missing picture are not overwritten by other files, then they can be restored; otherwise, they have already disappeared completely.

Since you have shot a few pictures after formatting the SD card, some of the missing pictures may have been overwritten by new photos. The more photos you take, the less likely to recover lost pictures. Now the only way is to try as many data recovery tools as possible. After all, different data recovery software has different recovery ability. Good luck to you!