Pioneer HLD-X9 versus the others

I just thought I'd post some of my observations here in regards to the
HLD-X9 versus many of the other players I've owned or currently own.
Previously, I really thought the Runco LJRII was the top dog.
Now that I own an HLD-X9, I can see the flaws of the Runco clearly in
comparison. The Runco has chroma noise, somewhat minor, but very
noticeable versus the X9.
I keep my X9 settings at the midpoint standard setting. The chroma
noise is greatly reduced and I do not find the picture to be overly
digitalized with this level of noise reduction.
I compared the X9 to my D703, which also has noise reduction.
Comparing both units, with the noise reduction at the midpoint default
setting... NO comparison. The D703 has more noise in the picture.
The X9 definitely doesn't suffer from the CLV color smear issue that
the D703/Elite 99 has.
The X9 is equal to the Runco LJRII for "non-smearing."
The one area where I found the Runco to excel over the X9, was on a
specific 8 inch rotted Motels music video disc.
On the X9, there was quite a bit of static and noise in the audio
during the rotted chapters. The sound on the Runco was excellent. A
quick burst of noise that lasted a second during the start of the song
and then perfect thereafter.
As good as the X9 is, if you really try to see a hint of noise in the
picture- you can.
It is not 100% absolutely noise-free at the default position. It is a
great deal more noise-free than the Runco or D703 when comparing the
same discs.
I'm very happy with the X9 and plan on keeping it for the long haul.
Is it worth the big bucks? That's hard to say. It seems the higher you
go up the LD player food chain, the higher your standards become.
I now find the Runco LJRII to be my minimum standard for an acceptable
picture. The X9 is now my accepted standard.
9 answers Last reply
More about pioneer hld versus

    Kevin Hawerchuk wrote:
    > I just thought I'd post some of my observations here in regards to
    the
    > HLD-X9 versus many of the other players I've owned or currently own.
    > Previously, I really thought the Runco LJRII was the top dog.
    > Now that I own an HLD-X9, I can see the flaws of the Runco clearly
    in
    > comparison. The Runco has chroma noise, somewhat minor, but very
    > noticeable versus the X9.
    > I keep my X9 settings at the midpoint standard setting. The chroma
    > noise is greatly reduced and I do not find the picture to be overly
    > digitalized with this level of noise reduction.
    > I compared the X9 to my D703, which also has noise reduction.
    > Comparing both units, with the noise reduction at the midpoint
    default
    > setting... NO comparison. The D703 has more noise in the picture.
    > The X9 definitely doesn't suffer from the CLV color smear issue
    that
    > the D703/Elite 99 has.
    > The X9 is equal to the Runco LJRII for "non-smearing."
    > The one area where I found the Runco to excel over the X9, was on a
    > specific 8 inch rotted Motels music video disc.
    > On the X9, there was quite a bit of static and noise in the audio
    > during the rotted chapters. The sound on the Runco was excellent. A
    > quick burst of noise that lasted a second during the start of the
    song
    > and then perfect thereafter.
    > As good as the X9 is, if you really try to see a hint of noise in
    the
    > picture- you can.
    > It is not 100% absolutely noise-free at the default position. It is
    > great deal more noise-free than the Runco or D703 when comparing the
    > same discs.
    > I'm very happy with the X9 and plan on keeping it for the long
    haul.
    > Is it worth the big bucks? That's hard to say. It seems the higher
    you
    > go up the LD player food chain, the higher your standards become.
    > I now find the Runco LJRII to be my minimum standard for an
    acceptable
    > picture. The X9 is now my accepted standard.

    How does the CLD-1010 compare to all of the above players (and any
    others that you've had)? You posted once that with a good comb filter,
    the 1010 is top-notch without any color smearing (single-sideness and
    no digital audio output notwithstanding).

    -Junior

    The 1010 also doesn't have the color smear. The 1010 has very good low
    chroma noise but not as good as the X9.
    Kevin

    every time there is mention of the runco LJRII vs. hld-x9, i have something
    to say, because the LJRII is my reference player, it laid waste to the
    cld-99 which went promptly to ebay as soon as i did a critical sit-down with
    these two machines, and it didn't take long for me to make up my mind.
    problem:-- i live in boston, where hld-x9's don't exist. i ordered one from
    switzerland from a guy named gabriel running a swiss french language website
    [which i speak fluently], and tried to rip me off. citibank had the pleasure
    of translating dozens of pages of correspondence, and twice ruled against
    him. this was about 3 years ago, and i posted warnings here in english,
    french, and german with intent that no one else fall victim, especially by
    wiring funds directly into his account. Warning/ Attention/Achtung---
    http://www.laserdisque.ch/-- Gabriel tried to steal from me, as I'm an
    overseas buyer. he told me he had a tracking number that never
    existed//Gabriel a essayé à me dérober de plus que US $2000, moi en tant
    qu'acheteur outre-mer. Il m'avait promis le numero de tracking, rien
    ensuite-- comment alors pourrait-il répudier, DEUX FOIS avec citibanque mon
    contre-charge pour qqchose qu'il ne m'avait jamais expédié, tout en faisant
    excuse sur excuse en abbondance:-- <<on me rend le colis endommagé>>, <<ça
    me revient faut d'avoir rempli les formulaires douanières>>, <<il y a une
    problème de mise au point de laser, ce qui m'oblige de commander plus de
    pièces de réchange en direct de pioneer à japon>> etc.... ad nauseum
    //Enschuldigung, ich habe mehr Deutsche auf zu lerneren; das Gabriel ist
    Scheistermeister geschaftigung...

    meanwhile, i would love to be able to A/B these two machines, and make a
    final decision as to which is best. i have over 2500 titles on laserdisc, so
    i don't mind spending a couple kilobucks to do it right, af that's what it
    takes.

    opinions are welcome, trades considered, and does anybody in the boston area
    have an hld-x9 i might be able to audution, or better yet, play musical
    laserdisc players and/or do a direct comparison so that i can make a final
    determination as to which of these two offers the best value as i consider
    performance vs. cost. the hld-X0 is also a srong contender, and i'd be
    interested in trying one of these beasts out in my zoo if somebody out there
    wants to give it a go. program material for evaluation can be of your
    choice-- i have slightly over 2500 titles on site.

    and so continues the dilema of hld-x9 vs. runco LJRII. i suppose alot of
    opinions out there will be subjective, so the only way for me to determine
    which is the best machine to have as a reference, is to do a direct
    comparison. if anybody out there in bostonland has an hald-x9, i'll be
    happy to set up a comparison at your location or mine, and sse where it goes
    from there.

    thanks, and enjoy---:)**

    douglas pratt
    "Kevin Hawerchuk" <KevHaw@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >I just thought I'd post some of my observations here in regards to the
    > HLD-X9 versus many of the other players I've owned or currently own.
    > Previously, I really thought the Runco LJRII was the top dog.
    > Now that I own an HLD-X9, I can see the flaws of the Runco clearly in
    > comparison. The Runco has chroma noise, somewhat minor, but very
    > noticeable versus the X9.
    > I keep my X9 settings at the midpoint standard setting. The chroma
    > noise is greatly reduced and I do not find the picture to be overly
    > digitalized with this level of noise reduction.
    > I compared the X9 to my D703, which also has noise reduction.
    > Comparing both units, with the noise reduction at the midpoint default
    > setting... NO comparison. The D703 has more noise in the picture.
    > The X9 definitely doesn't suffer from the CLV color smear issue that
    > the D703/Elite 99 has.
    > The X9 is equal to the Runco LJRII for "non-smearing."
    > The one area where I found the Runco to excel over the X9, was on a
    > specific 8 inch rotted Motels music video disc.
    > On the X9, there was quite a bit of static and noise in the audio
    > during the rotted chapters. The sound on the Runco was excellent. A
    > quick burst of noise that lasted a second during the start of the song
    > and then perfect thereafter.
    > As good as the X9 is, if you really try to see a hint of noise in the
    > picture- you can.
    > It is not 100% absolutely noise-free at the default position. It is a
    > great deal more noise-free than the Runco or D703 when comparing the
    > same discs.
    > I'm very happy with the X9 and plan on keeping it for the long haul.
    > Is it worth the big bucks? That's hard to say. It seems the higher you
    > go up the LD player food chain, the higher your standards become.
    > I now find the Runco LJRII to be my minimum standard for an acceptable
    > picture. The X9 is now my accepted standard.

    I have seen both of Kevin's players and I'd have to agree. The Runco LJRII
    and the Panasonic LX-900u it is based on does have more chroma noise if you
    look for it. I first noticed it when looking at the blue sky looking down a
    valley. The X9 has a smoother picture.

    Otherwise the LJRII is a very good player and corrects the black level AGC
    issue in the LX-900U. The MSB based LX-900U from what I remember is right
    there with the LJRII.

    The X9 also has the adaptive filter where the LJRII and MSB use the filter
    in the LX-900U.

    Both are nice units

    Kurtis

    "Kevin Hawerchuk" <KevHaw@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >I just thought I'd post some of my observations here in regards to the
    > HLD-X9 versus many of the other players I've owned or currently own.
    > Previously, I really thought the Runco LJRII was the top dog.
    > Now that I own an HLD-X9, I can see the flaws of the Runco clearly in
    > comparison. The Runco has chroma noise, somewhat minor, but very
    > noticeable versus the X9.
    > I keep my X9 settings at the midpoint standard setting. The chroma
    > noise is greatly reduced and I do not find the picture to be overly
    > digitalized with this level of noise reduction.
    > I compared the X9 to my D703, which also has noise reduction.
    > Comparing both units, with the noise reduction at the midpoint default
    > setting... NO comparison. The D703 has more noise in the picture.
    > The X9 definitely doesn't suffer from the CLV color smear issue that
    > the D703/Elite 99 has.
    > The X9 is equal to the Runco LJRII for "non-smearing."
    > The one area where I found the Runco to excel over the X9, was on a
    > specific 8 inch rotted Motels music video disc.
    > On the X9, there was quite a bit of static and noise in the audio
    > during the rotted chapters. The sound on the Runco was excellent. A
    > quick burst of noise that lasted a second during the start of the song
    > and then perfect thereafter.
    > As good as the X9 is, if you really try to see a hint of noise in the
    > picture- you can.
    > It is not 100% absolutely noise-free at the default position. It is a
    > great deal more noise-free than the Runco or D703 when comparing the
    > same discs.
    > I'm very happy with the X9 and plan on keeping it for the long haul.
    > Is it worth the big bucks? That's hard to say. It seems the higher you
    > go up the LD player food chain, the higher your standards become.
    > I now find the Runco LJRII to be my minimum standard for an acceptable
    > picture. The X9 is now my accepted standard.

    Yes, Kurtis had both of my players at the same time so was able to make
    the same observations that I made, once I had them both here at home.
    They are both hooked up, via the s-video output, to my television set,
    and I use both players, regularly, to watch laserdiscs.
    I do have to take exception to Mr.Pratt's observations in regards to
    the Runco LJRII versus the Elite 99.
    The Elite 99 has a picture at least as sharp, and more noise free when
    you factor in the adaptive 3D comb filter and user adjustable digital
    video noise reduction.
    I think the main advantage of the LJRII over the Elite 99 is "non
    smear." The Elite 99 can smear like a son-of-a-gun on the right CLV
    disc. Enough to be distracting.
    However, the smear issue disappears on CAV discs, SO, comparing a CAV
    disc on the Runco versus the 99..no comparison. The 99 is better.
    I believe that Mr.Pratt's 99 was quite possibly out of alignment,
    causing a poorer picture than normal, causing him to make these
    assertions that the Runco was so much better.
    I've had all of these players, and many more, over the years.
    The five players I have hooked up to my tv set are, in order of
    quality:
    HLD-X9, Runco LJRII, Panasonic LX900, PIoneer CLD1010, Pioneer LD
    V4400.
    I'll soon have a mint Elite 95 to add to the fun!
    Kevin

    >The 1010 also doesn't have the color smear. The 1010 has very good low
    >chroma noise but not as good as the X9.

    I'm really interested in hearing/reading about the 1010. I'm interested in it
    particularly because of it shared most of it's internals with their statement
    player of the late 80s, the LD-S1, but added the red laser. I've seen them sell
    on Ebay for under $100 and have considered buying one.
    Steve Grauman

    Kevin Hawerchuk wrote:
    > There was a 1010 recently on ebay that went begging for a $30 bid.

    I bought mine for $5 and change recently on eBay -- with shipping, the
    total came to $33, so they can be had for less than $50 shipped.

    I, too, am impressed with its picture. There are two downsides to the
    player, unfortunately: 1. single-side play; 2. no digital audio output.
    -Junior

    Now if only the 1010 can be modded with both digital audio output AND
    AC-3 RF output, the ONLY downside of this really incredibly cheap (but
    excellent video output) player would be its single-sided play!

    -Junior

    You can add an AC-3 RF output and a digital output but you'd be spending a
    few hundred to do that. You'd have to really love the player to do this.

    Kurtis

    "unclejr" <watsona@kenyon.edu> wrote in message
    > Now if only the 1010 can be modded with both digital audio output AND
    > AC-3 RF output, the ONLY downside of this really incredibly cheap (but
    > excellent video output) player would be its single-sided play!
    >
    > -Junior

Laser Disc Players Pioneer