Wireless Networking USB and 5504

Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
wireless network? Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I use
MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the Ethernet
port?
9 answers Last reply
More about wireless networking usb 5504

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:36:14 GMT, "Display Name"
    <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
    >wireless network?

    The USB port on the Replay is completely nonfunctional. It doesn't
    even supply power.

    > Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I use
    >MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the Ethernet
    >port?

    It's available in the menu. Why haven't you looked yet?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    Display Name wrote:
    > Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
    > wireless network? Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I use
    > MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the Ethernet
    > port?

    1: The usb port is a dummy, it does not work and you may thus not use it
    for anything except... Possibly... A usb-"Book light" or "usb powered
    speakers" (I do not know if it has power. but I do know it does not work)

    2: How to do mac address filtering... That is a bit harder but the
    procedure for finding it's mac address is outlined in the owner's
    manual. But you may have to temporary disable the filter (Just for a
    few minutes) then you ping it then you request the address of the last
    device pinged (using the command in the manual which I forget) then
    re-activate your filter, then program it in.

    I'm not sure I had to disable the filter though. I think that PING
    went through before I added it to the Mac (I keep forgetting I have that
    filter active when I hook up new hardware)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > It's available in the menu. Why haven't you looked yet?

    I don't know about him but on my 5504 IT would not even let me go to the
    menu till it "phoned home" and that required I add it's MAC address to
    my filters.

    Thankfully the owner's manual has a paragraph or two on how to find out
    what the address is... I followed the procedure.. Programmed it into the
    filter, and instant "working"

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:29:46 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Display Name wrote:
    >> Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
    >> wireless network? Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I use
    >> MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the Ethernet
    >> port?
    >>

    >1: The usb port is a dummy, it does not work and you may thus not use it
    >for anything except... Possibly... A usb-"Book light" or "usb powered
    >speakers" (I do not know if it has power. but I do know it does not work)

    Did you notice my earlier reply? It does not even provide power.

    >2: How to do mac address filtering... That is a bit harder but the
    >procedure for finding it's mac address is outlined in the owner's
    >manual. But you may have to temporary disable the filter (Just for a
    >few minutes) then you ping it then you request the address of the last
    >device pinged (using the command in the manual which I forget) then
    >re-activate your filter, then program it in.

    Also, you can determine it from your router (through DHCP) if the
    router has al ist for the DHCP server (or connected devcices for
    wireless).

    >I'm not sure I had to disable the filter though. I think that PING
    >went through before I added it to the Mac (I keep forgetting I have that
    >filter active when I hook up new hardware)

    That would be a disadvantage of using MAC address filtering. You could
    forget about it and be unable to figure out why a new device isn't
    working.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once the
    NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC address, added it to
    the 'allow' list and switched filtering back on. Thank all of you for your
    help. I am sure I will be back here for more advice.

    I now need to figure out how to get this thing to record to my DVD burner.
    But first I will look around and try and figure it out for myself.

    Display Name wrote:
    > I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once the
    > NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC address, added it to
    > the 'allow' list and switched filtering back on. Thank all of you for your
    > help. I am sure I will be back here for more advice.
    >
    > I now need to figure out how to get this thing to record to my DVD burner.
    > But first I will look around and try and figure it out for myself.
    > "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    (and re: the poster who said "Did you notice my earlier reply" No, sorry
    I did not, Ok, the USB port does not even provide power (Well, to be
    honest the only reason I'd have for checking is for the heck of it, no
    use for it personally)

    How to get this thing to record to my dvd burner... This depends
    entirely on your dvd burner of course... If it's a stand alone "DVD
    Recorder" then you have more dollars than I do and the only way I know
    of is real time, line out (Use the best video out that the DVD can take
    as an input) if it's the one built into or plugged into your computer...
    Well.. That's how I do it.

    Step one is to download a program called DVArchive (www.dvarchive.org)

    You will also need the current version of Sun Java running on your
    system (Before you fire up DVA, note, no java, DVA simply does not work)

    Next you need software that can burn DVD's ... My system has NERO on it

    Finally with SOME burning software (Example NERO) you will need to
    install some additional CODECS,,, Elcard's Moonlight decoders work well

    Now... Burn away

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:36:15 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Display Name wrote:
    >> I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once the
    >> NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC address, added it to
    >> the 'allow' list and switched filtering back on. Thank all of you for your
    >> help. I am sure I will be back here for more advice.
    >>
    >> I now need to figure out how to get this thing to record to my DVD burner.
    >> But first I will look around and try and figure it out for myself.
    >> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >>

    >(and re: the poster who said "Did you notice my earlier reply" No, sorry
    >I did not, Ok, the USB port does not even provide power (Well, to be
    >honest the only reason I'd have for checking is for the heck of it, no
    >use for it personally)

    I checked mine for that reason, and to be able to answer people's
    questions. I had a USB-powered light used for laptops.

    >How to get this thing to record to my dvd burner... This depends
    >entirely on your dvd burner of course... If it's a stand alone "DVD
    >Recorder" then you have more dollars than I do and the only way I know
    >of is real time, line out (Use the best video out that the DVD can take
    >as an input)

    The Replay will act just like it would with a VCR.

    > if it's the one built into or plugged into your computer...
    >Well.. That's how I do it.

    I use my computer to make DVDs (I don't have a stand-alone DVD
    recorder, which costs more and is less versatile).

    >Step one is to download a program called DVArchive (www.dvarchive.org)

    Note that to get it to work right, your (computer) firewall will need
    to pass connections to the uPnP port (239.255.255.250). Some firewalls
    will already do that. Others need settings changerd.

    >You will also need the current version of Sun Java running on your
    >system (Before you fire up DVA, note, no java, DVA simply does not work)
    >
    >Next you need software that can burn DVD's ... My system has NERO on it

    I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 (came with my DVD burner), which seems
    to be the bast I've tried (better than the one you get with Nero). It
    burns as well as authors.

    >Finally with SOME burning software (Example NERO) you will need to
    >install some additional CODECS,,, Elcard's Moonlight decoders work well

    Additional CODECs may be unnecessary. Try it first. I didn't install
    any. I use VideoLAN for playing videos.

    Note that some programs will show an incorrect aspect ratio on
    Standard Quality recordings. They will still play fine from DVD.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    What happened when you called RTV about this?

    From:John in Detroit
    Blanked@sbcglobal.net

    > Display Name wrote:
    >> I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once
    >> the NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC
    >> address, added it to the 'allow' list and switched filtering back
    >> on. Thank all of you for your help. I am sure I will be back here
    >> for more advice. I now need to figure out how to get this thing to
    >> record to my DVD
    >> burner. But first I will look around and try and figure it out for
    >> myself. "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >>

    > (and re: the poster who said "Did you notice my earlier reply" No,
    > sorry I did not, Ok, the USB port does not even provide power (Well,
    > to be honest the only reason I'd have for checking is for the heck of
    > it, no use for it personally)
    >
    > How to get this thing to record to my dvd burner... This depends
    > entirely on your dvd burner of course... If it's a stand alone "DVD
    > Recorder" then you have more dollars than I do and the only way I know
    > of is real time, line out (Use the best video out that the DVD can
    > take as an input) if it's the one built into or plugged into your
    > computer... Well.. That's how I do it.
    >
    > Step one is to download a program called DVArchive (www.dvarchive.org)
    >
    > You will also need the current version of Sun Java running on your
    > system (Before you fire up DVA, note, no java, DVA simply does not
    > work)
    > Next you need software that can burn DVD's ... My system has NERO on
    > it
    > Finally with SOME burning software (Example NERO) you will need to
    > install some additional CODECS,,, Elcard's Moonlight decoders work
    > well
    > Now... Burn away

    bruce, Did you reply to the wrong person, I never called RTV

    BruceR wrote:
    > What happened when you called RTV about this?
    >
    > From:John in Detroit
    > Blanked@sbcglobal.net
    >

    >>Display Name wrote:
    >>
    >>>I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once
    >>>the NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC
    >>>address, added it to the 'allow' list and switched filtering back
    >>>on. Thank all of you for your help. I am sure I will be back here
    >>>for more advice. I now need to figure out how to get this thing to
    >>>record to my DVD
    >>>burner. But first I will look around and try and figure it out for
    >>>myself. "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>(and re: the poster who said "Did you notice my earlier reply" No,
    >>sorry I did not, Ok, the USB port does not even provide power (Well,
    >>to be honest the only reason I'd have for checking is for the heck of
    >>it, no use for it personally)
    >>
    >>How to get this thing to record to my dvd burner... This depends
    >>entirely on your dvd burner of course... If it's a stand alone "DVD
    >>Recorder" then you have more dollars than I do and the only way I know
    >>of is real time, line out (Use the best video out that the DVD can
    >>take as an input) if it's the one built into or plugged into your
    >>computer... Well.. That's how I do it.
    >>
    >>Step one is to download a program called DVArchive (www.dvarchive.org)
    >>
    >>You will also need the current version of Sun Java running on your
    >>system (Before you fire up DVA, note, no java, DVA simply does not
    >>work)
    >>Next you need software that can burn DVD's ... My system has NERO on
    >>it
    >>Finally with SOME burning software (Example NERO) you will need to
    >>install some additional CODECS,,, Elcard's Moonlight decoders work
    >>well
    >>Now... Burn away

Ptv Replaytv Wireless USB Mac Address