Having some car audio installation trouble

Ascendency

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Ok so I'm having a little bit of trouble with my new car audio set up. Im going to give as much information as possible and hopefully someone might have an idea. First off, Im using a Hifonics HFX12D4 subwoofer and a Precision Power BK650.1d Amplifier. My head unit is a Dual XDM260 (poopy walmart brand I know but its cheap and seems to be doing fine haha).

Anyway I recently hooked everything up and I am not getting any sound from my subwoofer. The subwoofer has two 4 ohm voice coils which i wired in parallel to get a 2 ohm load from the amp. I tested the impedance of the sub from the wire leads that go to the amp and they are reading about 2.3 ohms so as far as i can tell my subwoofer is wired correctly and nothing is wrong on that end.

As far as the amp goes, it will power on and seems to be working fine. The power led is on and the protection mode led is not so it seems to be working normally. Both the remote turn-on wire from the head unit and the power cables have voltage so they also seem to be working fine, yet my subwoofer is still getting no signal. I used a multimeter to test the speaker terminals where my subwoofer gets hooked up and as far as i can tell there is no voltage coming from them. Now i dont know whether that means that the amp is not putting out a signal because it is broken or because the RCA plugs are not giving the amp a signal from the head unit.

My previous subwoofer stopped working in my car and that is the reason I upgraded to this sub. Everything about the previous subwoofer's installation was wrong. The sub was 180 watts RMS and I used a cheap walmart Boss amp that only gave it 100 watts RMS. Also I'm pretty sure it was an 8 ohm sub (not 100% sure because there isnt much product information available for Profile Baja subs, but from the vague information that the non product-specific manual gave it appeared the sub was 8 ohms). I thought that the subwoofer might be blown but I dont know how to tell.I tried testing the impedence with my multimeter and it seemed to hover around 8 ohms for a second each time but the reading would then fluctuate rapidly between something unreasonable like 60 ohms or 0 (this was after it stopped working so i dont know whether a blown speaker would still give an accurate ohms reading).

To me, it seems that everything is working correctly with my new set-up except the actual audio signal itself. That leads me to believe that the problem lies either with my head unit or the RCA cable. The RCA cable was one my friend found for me at his job; he works for a trucking company and they had extra rca cables. Now this cable is definitely not meant for the "Audio Enthusiast." Its pretty old looking and looks like its seen its better days so maybe that's the problem( and maybe its what caused my other sub to stop working instead of the speaker being blown). Is there any way i can test this cable without plugging a new cable into my head unit? I have an 2005 Chevy Cavalier and GM, in their infinite wisdom, decided that you will have to remove practically the entire dash to get to the stereo so im trying to avoid that again if I can.

If anyone has any ideas on what may be wrong or knows a way to test an RCA cable without replacing it I would greatly appreciate it. Also I'm learning a lot as I go so if i seem to be using any terms incorrectly or am doing anything wrong please feel free to correct me. ( I also realize that this is a PC oriented site and that maybe I might have better luck asking the question elsewhere, so even if no one here can help I would love a point in the right direction). Thanks!

Solution
Different head units will supply a different voltage. They will vary between 1 to 8v. With your head unit you should be seeing on the low side of that like 1-3v. It does vary with volume as well so you will need to adjust the volume with the meter plugged in and changing the volume. You now know that it is the RCA cables or the head unit. Cables are cheaper and you can test with the head unit out but still wired up or just use the meter on the back of the head unit.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
If you have a good ground and power to your amp and the power light is turning on then the most likely issue will be the head unit or the rca cables. If you have access to a digital multi meter you can read the voltage off of rca cables. What you're looking for is an AC voltage though. If you google it there should be some good directions on how to do it. Also run the rca cables on the opposite side of the power cables so there is as little interference as possible.

Ascendency

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
I tested both RCA leads and my multimeter bounced between .001 and .0001 volts which doesn't seem significant to me so I'm guessing that's the problem. However, I had the volume on my stereo pretty low since my car doors were open and i live in town so I don't know if that would affect voltage. I wouldn't think so. Would you suggest just replacing the RCA cable and seeing if that fixes the problem?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Different head units will supply a different voltage. They will vary between 1 to 8v. With your head unit you should be seeing on the low side of that like 1-3v. It does vary with volume as well so you will need to adjust the volume with the meter plugged in and changing the volume. You now know that it is the RCA cables or the head unit. Cables are cheaper and you can test with the head unit out but still wired up or just use the meter on the back of the head unit.

Solution