Asus 4k Monitor or wait for ROG Swift?

nehalpatel30

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hello

I've been eyeing the PB287Q 4k monitor by Asus and the Asus ROG Swift 1440p monitor soon to come out. I've been wondering, which will suite me better. I currently have a Acer 1080P monitor, 60Hz, 6ms response time, IPS. My GPU is the GTX 770. Now if i get the 4k monitor, I do not plan to game in 4k, just video streaming, while gaming on 1080p with the monitor. However, with the PG278Q, i plan to game in 1440p, and video stream as well. Which one will suite my needs more, as I know one is IPS while the other is TN. Will i notice much of a difference in video quality, in terms of color and pixels, etc.

Solution
Videos will look the same unless you are watching them in 4K quality. Then, naturally, they will look better on 4K. 1080p videos will look the same on both.

Colors will look slightly better on the IPS, but as long as you're facing the Swift, i don't think the untrained, unprofessional eye will notice.

CraigN

Distinguished
As long as you're sitting directly in front of it, the 8-bit TN on the swift has pretty good color (IPS will always beat it though, and the PB is designed for color accuracy). It would support both your needs fine, however, are you streaming video out (like your gameplay) or video streaming shows and stuff you're watching? If so, there's only a limited amount of (streamable) 4K content out there, so I'm not sure how much return you would be really getting out of the 4K monitor. The PB287Q is geared towards professionals who want the high resolution for work and also for its color accuracy. the PG278Q is geared directly at gamers who want *good* color reproduction and high response time and performance for games.

1080p videos are still going to look like 1080p videos no matter which screen you watch them on.

nehalpatel30

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Yes, i'm going to use it to stream videos, on Youtube and such, and also game as well. The PG278Q is the better one for gaming hands down, but I'm wondering which would be better for video streaming? I'm assuming it'll be almost equal as the TN panel doesn't have colors as great as IPS, but the resolution matters as well.

CraigN

Distinguished
Videos will look the same unless you are watching them in 4K quality. Then, naturally, they will look better on 4K. 1080p videos will look the same on both.

Colors will look slightly better on the IPS, but as long as you're facing the Swift, i don't think the untrained, unprofessional eye will notice.

Solution