ReplayTV loophole to switch activation to another machine?

Evidently there is a new discounted multi-Replay deal. Now, I have a 5040
that is really acting up... doing a lot of stuttering and going into loops
that require me to hard reboot to stop, and even then it sometimes doesn't
break the loop.

I currently have a lifetime subscription. Under the ruloes, is this legal?

1) Buy a second ReplayTV and get the discounted 6.95/mo subscription.
2) After one month, reduce my active units back to one (but make only the
new one active)
3) According to the rules can I go back to my original rate (of $0/month
due to lifetime subscription) but do it on the new machine?

Here is the rules as per replaytvfaq:

"In addition to our $12.95 monthly subscription or $299 product lifetime
option, ReplayTV now offers a $6.95 discounted rate for consumers with more
than one active unit.

ReplayTV owners with more than one active unit registered on the same
account are eligible to receive a rate of $6.95 for up to five additional
units that are billed on a monthly cycle. An active unit is any generation
ReplayTV or Panasonic Show Stopper unit actively receiving the ReplayTV
service via either a monthly, lifetime or prepaid/bundled subscription.

Effective with its September 25th, 2004 billing cycle ReplayTV will
automatically convert accounts that have multiple units and at least one
unit receiving a monthly subscription to the new discounted multi unit
monthly price.

For consumers who have multiple monthly subscription units, ReplayTV will
apply the discount to the units with the highest monthly fee first.

In the event a household later reduces their number of active units to one,
billing rates will automatically return to the rates received before the
multiple unit discount.

The service fee discount is limited to units billed on a monthly basis.
However consumers who have both a lifetime unit and a monthly unit are
eligible for the reduced rate on their monthly unit. "
14 answers Last reply
More about replaytv loophole switch activation machine

    Verizon User wrote:

    > Evidently there is a new discounted multi-Replay deal. Now, I have a 5040
    > that is really acting up... doing a lot of stuttering and going into loops
    > that require me to hard reboot to stop, and even then it sometimes doesn't
    > break the loop.
    >
    > I currently have a lifetime subscription. Under the ruloes, is this legal?
    >
    > 1) Buy a second ReplayTV and get the discounted 6.95/mo subscription.
    > 2) After one month, reduce my active units back to one (but make only the
    > new one active)
    > 3) According to the rules can I go back to my original rate (of $0/month
    > due to lifetime subscription) but do it on the new machine?

    Your Replay has a bad drive, upgrade it to a 200 for cheap and send the
    old drive back to Maxtor for warranty replacement.

    You could call Replay and transfer the activation to new 5540, but you
    would have to be crazy to do that. 5040s are worth a fortune. With a bad
    drive you could get more than you paid for it.

    To get the discount, you have to register your Replays to your account.
    You can log in and see the status. It shows serial number, last connect,
    activation term. The activation is by serial number, you can't just "add
    one, delete one" and have lifetime on the other one.

    "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > Your Replay has a bad drive, upgrade it to a 200 for cheap and send the
    > old drive back to Maxtor for warranty replacement.
    >
    > You could call Replay and transfer the activation to new 5540, but you
    > would have to be crazy to do that. 5040s are worth a fortune. With a bad
    > drive you could get more than you paid for it.
    >
    > To get the discount, you have to register your Replays to your account.
    > You can log in and see the status. It shows serial number, last connect,
    > activation term. The activation is by serial number, you can't just "add
    > one, delete one" and have lifetime on the other one.

    Tony is right on the money. I JUST had to deal with this, as in just 4 days
    ago!! My 5040 was having the same symptoms, hdd failure.

    I called Replay and the customer service rep. informed me that it is
    possible to transfer a lifetime activation subscription to a different
    Replay machine. She even said that it is free to do so. I haven't seen any
    of that in writing, but then again I didn't look, so I'm taking her word for
    it.

    Like Tony said, the activation is by serial number, and the serial number of
    the each Replay is hardwired onto it's motherboard, NOT on the hdd.

    I upgraded my 5040 to a 250GB instead of transferring the lifetime subs. to
    one of our other 2 5504's, and boy, is it nice!!! Now, I imagine that you
    have surfed around and seen the info. about RTVPatch. It works. However, I
    even had to go one step further, so to speak, because my drive had already
    died by the time I had figured it out / done something about it, and I could
    NOT image it!! I was sick, let me tell you. So, I surfed the net and lo
    and behold, didn't some kind soul have a 5040 image posted. Yay!!!!

    Here are links to everything (hopefully, i'm VERY tired at the moment) you
    will need:

    http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/
    http://rgb.cc/replaytv/ if your drive has already died, you can use an
    image from here, it works
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=54718 poke around
    here, you will find some good ideas

    Good luck!!

    Matthew

    WOw thanks for theinput.

    But two questions:

    1) why is the 5040 so much better than the 5540? Is it just the commercial
    advance thing?
    2) About how much money would the replay 5040 upgrade cost me in terms of
    drive/parts, etc. I am currently with a 40MB unit (i think-- i get about 12
    hrs on high quality mode)
    3) Is the upgrade easy for a novice to do?

    Thanks!!!

    "Matthew" <coolhas44@atlanticbb.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > even had to go one step further, so to speak, because my drive had already
    > died by the time I had figured it out / done something about it, and I
    could
    > NOT image it!! I was sick, let me tell you. So, I surfed the net and lo
    > and behold, didn't some kind soul have a 5040 image posted. Yay!!!!
    >
    > Here are links to everything (hopefully, i'm VERY tired at the moment) you
    > will need:
    >
    > http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/
    > http://rgb.cc/replaytv/ if your drive has already died, you can use an
    > image from here, it works
    > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=54718 poke
    around
    > here, you will find some good ideas
    >

    > Good luck!!
    >
    > Matthew

    > 1) why is the 5040 so much better than the 5540? Is it just the

    Well, honestly, I don't know exactly, I guess it's because of the Commercial
    Advance and Internet Video Sharing. The CA is nice when it works, I'd say
    70%? of the time, somewhere in there, but I imagine I could live without it.
    The IVS I've never even used, but I can imagine a scenario where you would
    REALLY want a show and it would be the best/only way of having the chance of
    getting THE show of a lifetime that you missed?

    > 2) About how much money would the replay 5040 upgrade cost me in terms of
    > drive/parts, etc. I am currently with a 40MB unit (i think-- i get about
    > 12
    > hrs on high quality mode)

    The only cost to you is the price of a new hard drive and your time. I
    happened to stumble upon what I thought was a great deal at Staples where I
    got a 7200rpm 250GB Maxtor hard drive for $129.98!! Of course, the deal
    ended 12/11/04 :( . But you can still get great deals on hdd's, just surf
    around a little bit. Now, a caveat about the rpm's. I've seen all over
    these forums, websites, etc., that it is best to stay with a 5400rpm drive
    (which is the speed of the drives that are original equipment with Replays)
    due mainly to the increased heat generated by the 7200rpm drives. I only
    just completed my upgrade on 12/09, and everything is working beautifully,
    but I have no idea if I'm going to experience problems down the road.
    Hopefully not!!

    > 3) Is the upgrade easy for a novice to do?

    I am the textbook definition of novice, so yes, it is extremely easy to do,
    just follow the directions that you will have compiled from surfing around
    and getting your ducks in a row, and you should be fine. Here are 2 more
    links that I found just this morning:

    http://www.grandallusion.com/ and http://www.casacurtis.com/rtvupgrade/ .

    Kudos to those individuals for taking the time to compile such clear and
    concise sites and also many thanks to the kind souls who truly know what
    they are doing that wrote the RTVPatch program!!!!

    And don't forget about looking into DVArchive for your computer, another
    AWESOME creation, this from Gerry Duprey at http://www.dvarchive.org/ .
    This man is apparently a ReplayTV GOD, that's all I can say!!!! The program
    is awesome and with just a home network, you can theoretically have
    unlimited storage for all of your shows without ever having to open your
    Replay!! Just keep adding hard drives to your computer, which is much
    easier and less nerve-racking than opening up the Replay, imho.

    And, while I'm rambling, check out this CHEAP (again, only just got it,
    don't know long term quality) router, the D-Link DI-604, at
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069K98/103-0436105-4665418?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
    $26.99 after mail-in rebate!! wow!! The best thing about this router is
    that it allows for static DHCP (sounds like an oxymoron, no? lol ), which
    had been another problem for me and is now corrected, I think, thanks to the
    static DHCP. The problem being that the Replay has a bug in it that the
    underlying OS will try and grab an IP address, but so does the Replay
    software, which can cause confusion and foul things up, especially it seems
    with multiple Replays and DVArchive on your network. You can configure the
    D-Link router to assign the same IP address to a specific MAC address
    everytime that MAC address comes looking for an IP address, thus problem
    solved. This should probably be listed under a different subject posting, I
    apologize for digressing.

    Good luck with your upgrade!!,

    Matthew

    In article <_7%ud.6294$sU4.1284@trndny01>,
    "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote:

    > 1) why is the 5040 so much better than the 5540? Is it just the commercial
    > advance thing?

    That, plus Internet Video Sharing so you can exchange shows with other
    50xx owners right over the net.

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:24:47 -0500, "Matthew"
    <coolhas44DELETE_THIS@NOSPAMatlanticbb.net> wrote:

    >> 1) why is the 5040 so much better than the 5540? Is it just the
    >> commercial
    >> advance thing?
    >
    >Well, honestly, I don't know exactly, I guess it's because of the Commercial
    >Advance and Internet Video Sharing. The CA is nice when it works, I'd say
    >70%? of the time, somewhere in there, but I imagine I could live without it.

    And when it doesn't work, you could miss something. Also, you can do
    it semi-automatically on either unit with a feature called Show|Nav.

    >The IVS I've never even used, but I can imagine a scenario where you would
    >REALLY want a show and it would be the best/only way of having the chance of
    >getting THE show of a lifetime that you missed?

    Your internet connection speed is important here. These are VERY large
    files. Note that if you're sending a show it's your UPLOAD speed that
    matters (it's often much lower than download speed). If you want a
    show, it can be faster to get it from binary newsgroups (although
    there's a limitation there too, no usenet-wide search engine).

    [snip]

    >> 3) Is the upgrade easy for a novice to do?
    >
    >I am the textbook definition of novice, so yes, it is extremely easy to do,
    >just follow the directions that you will have compiled from surfing around
    >and getting your ducks in a row, and you should be fine. Here are 2 more
    >links that I found just this morning:
    >
    >http://www.grandallusion.com/ and http://www.casacurtis.com/rtvupgrade/ .
    >
    >Kudos to those individuals for taking the time to compile such clear and
    >concise sites and also many thanks to the kind souls who truly know what
    >they are doing that wrote the RTVPatch program!!!!
    >
    >And don't forget about looking into DVArchive for your computer, another
    >AWESOME creation, this from Gerry Duprey at http://www.dvarchive.org/ .
    >This man is apparently a ReplayTV GOD, that's all I can say!!!! The program
    >is awesome and with just a home network, you can theoretically have
    >unlimited storage for all of your shows without ever having to open your
    >Replay!! Just keep adding hard drives to your computer, which is much
    >easier and less nerve-racking than opening up the Replay, imho.
    >
    >And, while I'm rambling, check out this CHEAP (again, only just got it,
    >don't know long term quality) router, the D-Link DI-604, at
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069K98/103-0436105-4665418?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
    >$26.99 after mail-in rebate!! wow!! The best thing about this router is
    >that it allows for static DHCP (sounds like an oxymoron, no? lol ), which
    >had been another problem for me and is now corrected, I think, thanks to the
    >static DHCP. The problem being that the Replay has a bug in it that the
    >underlying OS will try and grab an IP address, but so does the Replay
    >software, which can cause confusion and foul things up, especially it seems
    >with multiple Replays and DVArchive on your network. You can configure the
    >D-Link router to assign the same IP address to a specific MAC address
    >everytime that MAC address comes looking for an IP address, thus problem
    >solved. This should probably be listed under a different subject posting, I
    >apologize for digressing.

    I had no trouble, but then I do pay attention to what I'm doing and am
    careful to set "source" and "target" right.

    >Good luck with your upgrade!!,
    >
    >Matthew
    >
    >"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
    >> WOw thanks for theinput.
    >>
    >> But two questions:
    >>
    >> 1) why is the 5040 so much better than the 5540? Is it just the
    >> commercial
    >> advance thing?
    >> 2) About how much money would the replay 5040 upgrade cost me in terms of
    >> drive/parts, etc. I am currently with a 40MB unit (i think-- i get about
    >> 12
    >> hrs on high quality mode)
    >> 3) Is the upgrade easy for a novice to do?
    >>

    >> Thanks!!!
    >>

    >> "Matthew" <coolhas44@atlanticbb.net> wrote in message

    >> $0/month
    >>> >>

    >>> "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> Tony is right on the money. I JUST had to deal with this, as in just 4
    >> days
    >>> ago!! My 5040 was having the same symptoms, hdd failure.
    >>>
    >>> I called Replay and the customer service rep. informed me that it is
    >>> possible to transfer a lifetime activation subscription to a different
    >>> Replay machine. She even said that it is free to do so. I haven't seen
    >> any
    >>> of that in writing, but then again I didn't look, so I'm taking her word
    >> for
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> Like Tony said, the activation is by serial number, and the serial number
    >> of
    >>> the each Replay is hardwired onto it's motherboard, NOT on the hdd.
    >>>
    >>> I upgraded my 5040 to a 250GB instead of transferring the lifetime subs.
    >>> one of our other 2 5504's, and boy, is it nice!!! Now, I imagine that
    >>> you
    >>> have surfed around and seen the info. about RTVPatch. It works.
    >>> However,
    >>> even had to go one step further, so to speak, because my drive had
    >>> already
    >>> died by the time I had figured it out / done something about it, and I
    >> could
    >>> NOT image it!! I was sick, let me tell you. So, I surfed the net and lo
    >>> and behold, didn't some kind soul have a 5040 image posted. Yay!!!!
    >>>
    >>> Here are links to everything (hopefully, i'm VERY tired at the moment)
    >>> you
    >>> will need:
    >>>
    >>> http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/
    >>> http://rgb.cc/replaytv/ if your drive has already died, you can use
    >>> an
    >>> image from here, it works
    >>> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=54718 poke
    >> around
    >>> here, you will find some good ideas
    >>>

    >>> Good luck!!
    >>>
    >>> Matthew

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    I think the SN is really on the flash ROM and folks say that is a pluggable
    chip. If you are model for model compatible you might be able to just swap the
    chip.(but you will need a virgin image on the drive) As others have pointed
    out this is probably just a bad drive so for the same amount of wiork and the
    price of the drive you can fix yours. You might even be able to salvage the
    drive with a LL format flagging the bad tracks. The utility is on the Maxtor
    site. The same is true for most drive manufacturers. If it finds more than one
    or two new bad sectors the drive is probably going south. Chuck it.

    CA is a valuable enough feature that it deserves a hack. I wouldn't want a
    55xx.
    It works 100% on a regular network show that isn't to arty (short fade to black
    segments within a show )
    Where it misses is on cable networks with mini infomercials that run 2 minutes
    or more. I hate that John Basedow SOB ;-)
    If I had a 55xx I would be getting serious about tricking up that serial number
    in the flash rom so I could get the 5000 load, not to steal anything, just to
    get everything I was paying for.
    D&M would be wise to quietly let this feature slide into the next software
    load.

    On 12 Dec 2004 18:54:35 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >CA is a valuable enough feature that it deserves a hack. I wouldn't want a
    >55xx.
    >It works 100% on a regular network show that isn't to arty (short fade to black
    >segments within a show )

    So, you limit your interests to what CA works on?

    >Where it misses is on cable networks with mini infomercials that run 2 minutes
    >or more. I hate that John Basedow SOB ;-)
    >If I had a 55xx I would be getting serious about tricking up that serial number
    >in the flash rom so I could get the 5000 load, not to steal anything, just to
    >get everything I was paying for.

    IVS could be useful.

    >D&M would be wise to quietly let this feature slide into the next software
    >load.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >If you want a
    >show, it can be faster to get it from binary newsgroups

    I haven't looked in a while but I don't remember there being a NG for replay
    binaries. Where is it?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 12 Dec 2004 19:00:32 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >>If you want a
    >>show, it can be faster to get it from binary newsgroups
    >
    >I haven't looked in a while but I don't remember there being a NG for replay
    >binaries. Where is it?

    I wasn't talking about Replay binaries, but about VIDEO binaries.
    There are a LOT of those. Almost anything with "binaries" and
    something like "dvd" in the name. For several popular shows, there'll
    be a group for that show.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In article <_7%ud.6294$sU4.1284@trndny01>,
    > "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote:
    >

    >>1) why is the 5040 so much better than the 5540? Is it just the commercial
    >>advance thing?
    >

    > That, plus Internet Video Sharing so you can exchange shows with other
    > 50xx owners right over the net.

    Question... Will a 50xx share with a 55xx on the same LAN?

    (Just wondering, sooner or later I'm going to have to buy another RTV to
    replace the last of the VCR's in the house (Suddenly the VCR in my
    bedroom is getting very little use) I'm kind of pleased with the replay
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <A34vd.45582$Qv5.43351@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > Question... Will a 50xx share with a 55xx on the same LAN?

    Yes.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:59:44 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> In article <_7%ud.6294$sU4.1284@trndny01>,
    >> "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>1) why is the 5040 so much better than the 5540? Is it just the commercial
    >>>advance thing?
    >>

    >> That, plus Internet Video Sharing so you can exchange shows with other
    >> 50xx owners right over the net.
    >>

    >Question... Will a 50xx share with a 55xx on the same LAN?

    Yes. I often do that. The 2 types are the same except for a couple of
    disabled features.

    >(Just wondering, sooner or later I'm going to have to buy another RTV to
    >replace the last of the VCR's in the house (Suddenly the VCR in my
    >bedroom is getting very little use) I'm kind of pleased with the replay

    The VCR in my A/V system gets very little use. It's just for old tapes
    and compatability with people who don't have anything but tape.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com