burning to DVD

if i want to burn a recorded show to DVD and have used DVArchive to download
that show to the hard drive on the machine with the DVD burner, do I have to
do anything to the MPG file to get it to play in my DVD player properly? or
can I just burn and play? what about the other three files--.evt .ndx
..xml--do I need to worry about those?

thanks

TB
11 answers Last reply
More about burning dvd

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:25:38 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.grandecom.net> wrote:

    >if i want to burn a recorded show to DVD and have used DVArchive to download
    >that show to the hard drive on the machine with the DVD burner, do I have to
    >do anything to the MPG file to get it to play in my DVD player properly? or
    >can I just burn and play? what about the other three files--.evt .ndx
    >.xml--do I need to worry about those?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >TB

    It seems to depend on your DVD authoring software. Some will accept
    the file directly (I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory, which does) and some
    don't. Anyway, you may want to do some editing, such as removing
    commercials.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:25:38 -0600, "T.B."
    > <balfour@donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.grandecom.net> wrote:
    >

    >>if i want to burn a recorded show to DVD and have used DVArchive to download
    >>that show to the hard drive on the machine with the DVD burner, do I have to
    >>do anything to the MPG file to get it to play in my DVD player properly? or
    >>can I just burn and play? what about the other three files--.evt .ndx
    >>.xml--do I need to worry about those?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>
    >>TB
    >>

    > It seems to depend on your DVD authoring software. Some will accept
    > the file directly (I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory, which does) and some
    > don't. Anyway, you may want to do some editing, such as removing
    > commercials.

    I've used a few different software packages to do it, however I have
    Elcard's Moonlight decoder package on board so that may make a differnece

    http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?guideid=696

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:14:02 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?guideid=696

    And don't forget that you many not need to. I've recently burned a few
    Replay shows to DVD with no conversion at all. They still play fine
    (just still have the commercials).

    >"T.B." <balfour@donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.grandecom.net> wrote in message
    >> if i want to burn a recorded show to DVD and have used DVArchive to
    >> download
    >> that show to the hard drive on the machine with the DVD burner, do I have
    >> do anything to the MPG file to get it to play in my DVD player properly?
    >> or
    >> can I just burn and play? what about the other three files--.evt .ndx
    >> .xml--do I need to worry about those?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> TB

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Are you saying that you have a stand-alone DVD player that plays Replay
    MPEG's?

    CW

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:55:14 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >Are you saying that you have a stand-alone DVD player that plays Replay
    >MPEG's?

    When you've created a DVD rather than just copying the MPEG file.

    >CW
    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:14:02 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?guideid=696
    >>>

    >> And don't forget that you many not need to. I've recently burned a few
    >> Replay shows to DVD with no conversion at all. They still play fine
    >> (just still have the commercials).
    >>
    >>>"T.B." <balfour@donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.grandecom.net> wrote in
    >>>message

    >> --
    >> 25 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> has a Replay 5xxx
    >> http://go.to/notstupid
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>
    >> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:35:27 -0600, Mark Lloyd
    <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:55:14 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Are you saying that you have a stand-alone DVD player that plays Replay
    >>MPEG's?
    >>

    >When you've created a DVD rather than just copying the MPEG file.

    In case you haven't read my other posts, I'm using Ulead Movie Factory
    to author/burn the DVDs. This program will also let you create VCDs.

    >>CW
    >>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>> And don't forget that you many not need to. I've recently burned a few
    >>> Replay shows to DVD with no conversion at all. They still play fine
    >>> (just still have the commercials).

    >>> --
    >>> 25 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>>
    >>> Mark Lloyd
    >>> has a Replay 5xxx
    >>> http://go.to/notstupid
    >>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>>
    >>> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >>> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >>> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Ulead is not re-coding at all?
    Replay's MPEG stream is not quite DVD compliant.
    That is why MPEG streams must go through RTVconvert before they will play on
    RTV's
    so I do not understand how you can go the other way without some re-coding
    as you have stated.

    VCD's are obviously recoded.

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:42:15 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >Ulead is not re-coding at all?
    >Replay's MPEG stream is not quite DVD compliant.
    >That is why MPEG streams must go through RTVconvert before they will play on
    >RTV's
    >so I do not understand how you can go the other way without some re-coding
    >as you have stated.

    It looks like Ulead actually DOES some re-encoding. It has to do
    SOMETHING to put everything in those VOB files you find on the
    finished DVD.

    Ulead must be one of the programs that do recognize Replay files. Some
    programs refuse to read them.

    >VCD's are obviously recoded.

    Yes, since they use MPEG1.

    >CW
    >
    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:35:27 -0600, Mark Lloyd
    >> <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >>>When you've created a DVD rather than just copying the MPEG file.
    >>>

    >> In case you haven't read my other posts, I'm using Ulead Movie Factory
    >> to author/burn the DVDs. This program will also let you create VCDs.

    >> --
    >> 24 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> has a Replay 5xxx
    >> http://go.to/notstupid
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>
    >> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote in message
    > Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    > : On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:14:02 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    > : wrote:
    > You can also burn your shows to VCD, and use regular CD-R Media instead of
    > DVD Media.

    But many DVD players don't support VCD format. One's mileage may vary. The
    best bet for compatibility is authoring your ReplayTV shows to Video-DVD.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:46:44 GMT, "Karl Kaufman"
    <krkweb@comNOcastSPAM.net> wrote:

    >"General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote in message
    >> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >> : On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:14:02 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >> : wrote:
    >> You can also burn your shows to VCD, and use regular CD-R Media instead of
    >> DVD Media.
    >
    >But many DVD players don't support VCD format. One's mileage may vary. The
    >best bet for compatibility is authoring your ReplayTV shows to Video-DVD.

    My DVD player (Pioneer) does support VCD, but it has trouble with SVCD
    (odd aspect ratio).

    It also has trouble with CD-RW (although DVD-RW works fine).

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com