Questions on forum issues

I just have a couple of questions that I can't seem to figure out.

First off, the only time I can see the toolbar with the options for text enhancements and image insertion is when I first post a thread. Apparently some people I've tried helping have the same issue and can't see that toolbar during later replies to a thread. This is no big for me as I can easily insert images and edit text using bb code. Some of these folks can't or just don't understand how. I'm just wondering if this is due to a security or privacy setting or something else entirely.

Secondly, I also don't seem to have the button that allows you to unsubscribe to a thread when you no longer want to receive notifications about that thread. Again, likely a setting but I've tested this by changing my browser security settings to low as well as my privacy settings and had no change.

Lastly, just wanted to say thanks to all the moderators and staff that make this site possible. I used to come across threads for Tom's all the time, for years and years, but never bothered to join. Now I really wonder why as the community here is miles above that of any other tech forum I've used previously. So thanks to you all for that.

Solution
1. You will only see the enhanced editor (the one with the toolbar) if you use the "Reply to xxxxxx" link in the bottom right corner of a post you are replying to.

2. In the lower left corner of the first post of a thread there are 2 links ("E-mail me updates | Track this thread"). The "Track this thread" changes to "Stop tracking this thread" if you have either posted in the thread or have previously clicked on "Track this thread". There is no button for this.
1. You will only see the enhanced editor (the one with the toolbar) if you use the "Reply to xxxxxx" link in the bottom right corner of a post you are replying to.

2. In the lower left corner of the first post of a thread there are 2 links ("E-mail me updates | Track this thread"). The "Track this thread" changes to "Stop tracking this thread" if you have either posted in the thread or have previously clicked on "Track this thread". There is no button for this.

Solution

1. The full text editor is only available in the full-response view. Press "Post an Answer" to access it. If you start typing a response in the quick-response at the bottom of a thread and wish to carry that text through to the full editor just press the button, it will automatically be inserted. There are also some very nice keyboard shortcuts available in the ful editor such as CTRL-Q for quote, CTRL-U for underline, CTRL-B for bold, CTRL-I for italics, CTRL-L for link, etc... they're quite handy

2. As ex_bubblehead mentioned, these buttons have been moved to the bottom of the parent post in the thread. Notifications are enabled by default, if you wish to alter this to disabled by default you can do so in your profile settings.

3. Glad that you decided to join us :) Welcome aboard!

it seems as if there are no current badges for those sections. not every category seems to have a badge in this new forum system.

there likely are legacy badges for those sections however which users who gained the badges prior to our forum upgrade can still use.

if there is an interest by enough people, it might be possible to get those badges set up on the new system however since windows xp and vista are old i think they were left out on those grounds since they are not current.

Sure seems like there are a lot of threads posted in those two categories to not have them be as applicable as 7 and 8. Guess maybe what you and I would do does not apply to average users, who apparently are still coming here in droves looking for help with those systems. Just a thought.

the moderation team has absolutely no control over what badges the system offers to users.

while we could most certainly hold a discussion about the issue (and it was brought up about adding some badges in the past) ultimately we would have to forward it to the next level above us.

our community leader joe pishgar http://www.tomshardware.com/community/profile-323958.htm is who would have to make the decision on what should be added however at times he certainly does ask the team for input on what we feel may be beneficial to add to the forum.

so, we can suggest it and other changes but ultimately he (and the other higher ups) have complete control over what gets implemented.