Anyone able to get HD channel listings on their Replay?

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I know I can't record HD, but any way to receive a channel guide that shows
the HD programming locally also? Too bad the program guide doesn't include
an HD logo or something on the programs that are being simulcast in HD. Who
do you emal this suggestion to?
17 answers Last reply
More about channel listings replay
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:56:56 GMT, "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com>
    wrote:

    >I know I can't record HD, but any way to receive a channel guide that shows
    >the HD programming locally also?

    There are HD recorders (not Replay) available, but they are limited to
    ONE particular source (broadcast, DirecTV, etc...). No general HD
    video inputs (maybe from business-controlled government interferance).
    You can even use your computer to record from ATSC.

    I get DirecTV (but no HD receiver yet). The guide will show HD
    channels unless they're deselected. DVArchive gets them from the same
    source as the Replay, so should show them too.

    However, the Replay is NOT showing the local (OTA) HD channel here.
    You can find a guide for that at
    http://www.checkhd.com/zipentry.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fprogramming%2fcheckprogramming.aspx%3fhd%3d0

    > Too bad the program guide doesn't include
    >an HD logo or something on the programs that are being simulcast in HD. Who
    >do you emal this suggestion to?
    >
    >

    --
    27 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >There are HD recorders (not Replay) available, but they are limited to
    >ONE particular source (broadcast, DirecTV, etc...). No general HD

    Not quite true - DirecTV HD units can receive DTV HD *and* OTA ATSC
    HD, and the DTV TiVo HD unit can record both DTV HD and OTA ATSC HD.

    I believe the Dish Network HD DVR also records ATSC.

    There are some standalone OTA ATSC only boxes, and cable HD units are
    cable only. For now at least - last week TiVo said sales of the DTV
    HD box have been good so they're looking at other HD products, and
    they're looking at CableCARD. In 2005 we should see CableCARD DVRs
    that do cable HD, and I bet some of them will have ATSC support too.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    --
    <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I have Comcast cable on my HDTV, and the Replay lists the HD channels
    in the program guide, so, it depends on your carrier.

    Of course, when we want to watch HD content, we need to switch inputs
    to view the HD stream directly. Looking forward to some sort of Replay
    solution to the HD DVR morass, I'm not satisfied with any of the
    options currently available (Dish, DTV, Comcast DVR, etc).
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 04:16:44 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    (MegaZone) wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>There are HD recorders (not Replay) available, but they are limited to
    >>ONE particular source (broadcast, DirecTV, etc...). No general HD
    >
    >Not quite true - DirecTV HD units can receive DTV HD *and* OTA ATSC
    >HD, and the DTV TiVo HD unit can record both DTV HD and OTA ATSC HD.
    >

    Sorry I missed that part (and I'm actually using one of those
    receivers for ATSC). They still lack the gereral purpose A/V inputs
    that all non-dedicated video recorders have. They also lack network
    connections to transfer the shows to a PC (like Replay has).

    >I believe the Dish Network HD DVR also records ATSC.
    >
    >There are some standalone OTA ATSC only boxes, and cable HD units are
    >cable only. For now at least - last week TiVo said sales of the DTV
    >HD box have been good so they're looking at other HD products, and
    >they're looking at CableCARD. In 2005 we should see CableCARD DVRs
    >that do cable HD, and I bet some of them will have ATSC support too.
    >

    Still lacking the inputs and network connections we're used to for SD.

    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    --
    26 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 29 Nov 2004 08:27:01 -0800, "Chairboy" <ben.hallert@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have Comcast cable on my HDTV, and the Replay lists the HD channels
    >in the program guide, so, it depends on your carrier.
    >
    >Of course, when we want to watch HD content, we need to switch inputs
    >to view the HD stream directly. Looking forward to some sort of Replay
    >solution to the HD DVR morass, I'm not satisfied with any of the
    >options currently available (Dish, DTV, Comcast DVR, etc).

    Yes, that (A HD Replay) would be desirable. Even more so, if it had a
    HD input that could be used with any source (component video?).

    --
    26 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >that all non-dedicated video recorders have. They also lack network
    >connections to transfer the shows to a PC (like Replay has).

    Well, they have the HW for it - DirecTV are just being dipshits about
    enabling any advanced features.

    >Still lacking the inputs and network connections we're used to for SD.

    The prototype HDTV standalone TiVo they've shown at the past 2 CES
    shows had an ATSC tuner and all the capabilities of a normal Series2
    box. So the CableCARD models may also have analog inputs - they'll
    need an encoder anyway since < 100 channels are still analog even with
    digital cable. Since they'll need the encoding HW they may as well
    support external inputs.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    --
    <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Yes, that (A HD Replay) would be desirable. Even more so, if it had a
    >HD input that could be used with any source (component video?).

    I think it will be a while before HW that can encode raw HD video will
    be economically viable for consumer electronics. That's a big fire
    hose to try to encoded realtime.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    --
    <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:48:14 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    (MegaZone) wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>Yes, that (A HD Replay) would be desirable. Even more so, if it had a
    >>HD input that could be used with any source (component video?).
    >
    >I think it will be a while before HW that can encode raw HD video will
    >be economically viable for consumer electronics. That's a big fire
    >hose to try to encoded realtime.
    >

    True. Of course that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a useful thing to be
    able to do.

    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    --
    26 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    The Replay TV Zones have a HDTV section under the More, More, More section.
    All of my HDTV programming from Dishnet shows up on this zone.

    JD
    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    news:kbbnq0t01cucoag6j35ne8ua6hvr4hr4ga@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:48:14 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    > (MegaZone) wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>>Yes, that (A HD Replay) would be desirable. Even more so, if it had a
    >>>HD input that could be used with any source (component video?).
    >>
    >>I think it will be a while before HW that can encode raw HD video will
    >>be economically viable for consumer electronics. That's a big fire
    >>hose to try to encoded realtime.
    >>
    >
    > True. Of course that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a useful thing to be
    > able to do.
    >
    >>-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    >
    > --
    > 26 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > has a Replay 5xxx
    > http://go.to/notstupid
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >
    > "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    > paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    > anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    MegaZone wrote:

    > I think it will be a while before HW that can encode raw HD video will
    > be economically viable for consumer electronics. That's a big fire
    > hose to try to encoded realtime.

    Actually, Though it might be "A big fire hose" to try to encode.

    That might not be as hard as you think. You see,,,, It is already
    encoded. All you need to do is stream the stream to disk, Now,
    compression is possible, but optional, And it's likely pre-compressed as
    well. So, where as you need a good amount of processor to encode video
    (around 500 Mhz to do it well) you could likely capture a digital stream
    with a much more modest CPU. In fact, using AMIGA type technology
    (Instead of PC) you really would not need a CPU other than to set it up
    and title the file (The AMIGA had dedicated co-processors so you could
    be downloading files at cable speeds, while playing CPU intensive games
    and the download would not be affected at all by the game, Very nice)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:32:32 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >MegaZone wrote:
    >
    >> I think it will be a while before HW that can encode raw HD video will
    >> be economically viable for consumer electronics. That's a big fire
    >> hose to try to encoded realtime.
    >
    >Actually, Though it might be "A big fire hose" to try to encode.
    >
    >That might not be as hard as you think. You see,,,, It is already
    >encoded.

    That's assuming the source component has a DIGITAL output. Many don't.
    and those that do (DVI and such) have artificial limitations (which
    they like ti call "protection" but aren't honest about what is
    actually being protected).

    >All you need to do is stream the stream to disk, Now,
    >compression is possible, but optional, And it's likely pre-compressed as
    >well. So, where as you need a good amount of processor

    In a system that handles real-time processes well. Windows doesn't.

    > to encode video
    >(around 500 Mhz to do it well) you could likely capture a digital stream
    >with a much more modest CPU. In fact, using AMIGA type technology
    >(Instead of PC) you really would not need a CPU other than to set it up
    >and title the file (The AMIGA had dedicated co-processors so you could
    >be downloading files at cable speeds, while playing CPU intensive games
    >and the download would not be affected at all by the game, Very nice)

    --
    23 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Copying the MPEG stream directly to disk is how the Dish Network PVR
    and the DirectTivo works. It's very source specific, but it's a great
    way to maintain 100% picture quality and cut back on costs. Problem
    is, you need either a ReplayTV with an HD tuner that'll grab
    over-the-air HD signals and cram 'em onto the HD, or you need some sort
    of special integration with the various cable and dish providers to get
    access to their MPEG stream, and they have no real reason to make that
    available.

    The reason why encoding straight off a component feed is attractive is
    that, while processor heavy, it lets you record from ANY high
    definition source instead of only the ones your PVR has digital access
    to.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 2 Dec 2004 13:24:10 -0800, "Chairboy" <ben.hallert@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Copying the MPEG stream directly to disk is how the Dish Network PVR
    >and the DirectTivo works. It's very source specific, but it's a great
    >way to maintain 100% picture quality and cut back on costs. Problem
    >is, you need either a ReplayTV with an HD tuner that'll grab
    >over-the-air HD signals and cram 'em onto the HD, or you need some sort
    >of special integration with the various cable and dish providers to get
    >access to their MPEG stream, and they have no real reason to make that
    >available.
    >
    >The reason why encoding straight off a component feed is attractive is
    >that, while processor heavy, it lets you record from ANY high
    >definition source instead of only the ones your PVR has digital access
    >to.

    Yes. It also avoids the "protection" on digital signals

    --
    23 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net shaped the electrons to say:
    >That might not be as hard as you think. You see,,,, It is already
    >encoded. All you need to do is stream the stream to disk, Now,

    Not in the context I was responding to - Mark had said encoding
    component input - that's analog HD. Basically the same way you can
    encode S-Video or composite today. And that would be big.

    If you can record the raw digital signal - satellite, ATSC, or digital
    cable - that's entirely different and it isn't that hard to do, and,
    in fact, there are units that do that on the market today.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    --
    <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Yes it does. Machines should not be allowed to try to enforce
    > copyright.

    Agreed. First it's copyright, then laws, and eventually they're trying
    to kill Sarah Connor.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Chairboy wrote:

    > Copying the MPEG stream directly to disk is how the Dish Network PVR
    > and the DirectTivo works. It's very source specific, but it's a great
    > way to maintain 100% picture quality and cut back on costs. Problem
    > is, you need either a ReplayTV with an HD tuner that'll grab
    > over-the-air HD signals and cram 'em onto the HD, or you need some sort
    > of special integration with the various cable and dish providers to get
    > access to their MPEG stream, and they have no real reason to make that
    > available.
    >
    > The reason why encoding straight off a component feed is attractive is
    > that, while processor heavy, it lets you record from ANY high
    > definition source instead of only the ones your PVR has digital access
    > to.
    >

    Another issue is the stupid digital rights management software, However
    that can be disabled. (The other poster was correct to point this out)
    however if someone designed a digital receiver which simply outputted
    it's data to a hard drive in parallel with it's decoder chip.. Digital
    rights would not be so much of an issue (The DRM bits would simply
    stream onto the disk along with the show)

    I'm not a big fan of DRM as it interferes with my ability to make copies
    of live recordings of either my own singing or my daughter's fluting

    (And an interesting sidenote... If your ID is intended to convey the
    fact you sing in a choir.. So do I (On the other hand if it means you
    drink too much.. No I don't)

    And that's what I need to copy the most... Thankfully my computer is not
    a big fan of DRM either so it goes ahead and makes the copies.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:06:10 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Chairboy wrote:
    >
    >> Copying the MPEG stream directly to disk is how the Dish Network PVR
    >> and the DirectTivo works. It's very source specific, but it's a great
    >> way to maintain 100% picture quality and cut back on costs. Problem
    >> is, you need either a ReplayTV with an HD tuner that'll grab
    >> over-the-air HD signals and cram 'em onto the HD, or you need some sort
    >> of special integration with the various cable and dish providers to get
    >> access to their MPEG stream, and they have no real reason to make that
    >> available.
    >>
    >> The reason why encoding straight off a component feed is attractive is
    >> that, while processor heavy, it lets you record from ANY high
    >> definition source instead of only the ones your PVR has digital access
    >> to.
    >>
    >
    >Another issue is the stupid digital rights management software, However
    >that can be disabled. (The other poster was correct to point this out)
    >however if someone designed a digital receiver which simply outputted
    >it's data to a hard drive in parallel with it's decoder chip.. Digital
    >rights would not be so much of an issue (The DRM bits would simply
    >stream onto the disk along with the show)
    >
    >I'm not a big fan of DRM as it interferes with my ability to make copies
    >of live recordings of either my own singing or my daughter's fluting
    >

    Yes it does. Machines should not be allowed to try to enforce
    copyright.

    [snip]

    --
    22 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Replaytv HD ReplayTV