Asus Direct CU II R9 290X VS R9 290 VS GTX 780

HaiImNew

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Hi There, I'm Currently Deciding which GPU to get for my New Build.
Where I Live, The R9 290X is around 50$ cheaper than gtx 780 and R9 290 is around 100$ cheaper. I'll be Using two 1920x1080p Monitors :D
Using One Monitor for gaming and the other for random stuff like Skype, basic rendering on Blender and others. Sometimes might use both monitors to play games. Hoping To Play On Ultra with Smooth FPS, Playing Games Like Battlefield 4, Titanfall, League Of Legends and Others. :D
All Models are Asus Direct Cu II. (To Avoid Confusion)

Solution
You would only go the AMD options if you had absolutely no interest in the Nvidia exclusives: Adaptive VSync, PhysX, TXAA, FXAA, HBAO+, Geforce Experience, Shadowplay, G-Sync, 3D Vision, etc. People tend to focus on PhysX, which is worth it if you play any GPU-accelerated PhysX games; but Adaptive VSync is the real gem of the bunch and not available on AMD cards. There is a lot of evidence that points to Nvidia having better driver support and cards that run quieter and cooler. So my advice is to set aside the price-performance equation for a bit and consider the overall ownership experience and the additional options and benefits of the GTX 780.

perfrel_1920.gif
The one that'll have the least chance of problems would the gtx 780. I don't think the ASUS cooler is going to be enough for the r9 290/290x but the r9 290x is suppose to be around the GTX 780Ti performance level.

The games you play though, you'd be fine with just a r9 290. I suggest maybe looking at the Sapphire tri-x/vapor-x coolers or gigabyte windforce for the r9 290/290x cards.

HaiImNew

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

The r9 290x is 50$ cheaper than the gtx 780, while the r9 290 is 100$ cheaper than the r9 290x.

GTX 780 Most Expensive then R9 290X then r9 290.
GTX 780= $1170
R9 290X= $1120
R9 290= 1020
Currency in Singaporean Dollars

HaiImNew

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Will the r9 290 be able to hold out for about 3 years? I want to play games on high to ultra for the next 3-5 years where i'll hopefully Upgrade to something like the titan or whatever they have in the future.
BTW thanks for the answers Guys :D never expected it to be this Fast :O

You would only go the AMD options if you had absolutely no interest in the Nvidia exclusives: Adaptive VSync, PhysX, TXAA, FXAA, HBAO+, Geforce Experience, Shadowplay, G-Sync, 3D Vision, etc. People tend to focus on PhysX, which is worth it if you play any GPU-accelerated PhysX games; but Adaptive VSync is the real gem of the bunch and not available on AMD cards. There is a lot of evidence that points to Nvidia having better driver support and cards that run quieter and cooler. So my advice is to set aside the price-performance equation for a bit and consider the overall ownership experience and the additional options and benefits of the GTX 780.

perfrel_1920.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_290_Vapor-X/25.html

Solution

HaiImNew

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

Not sure if I would use those features though...... never heard of about half of them.....
But im kinda leaning towards gtx 780 now because Ive heard of the cooling issues and the amount of power it uses.
In the end, My Wallet's hurting......