Recommend a good LaserDisc Player

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good LaserDisc player?
I've been looking on ebay at some but I'm not sure which ones are worth
having.

It must be able to play NTSC and PAL format discs (I'm in England) and
have good picture quality.

Many thanks.

--
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

    If in the Uk
    The Pioneer 2950 or the 925
    I don't know of any USA laserdisc players which play PAL discs
    If you want the pros and cons of each give me a shout

    aentity@btgoonyinternet.com

    remove goony

    "Graham" <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good LaserDisc player?
    > I've been looking on ebay at some but I'm not sure which ones are worth
    > having.
    >
    > It must be able to play NTSC and PAL format discs (I'm in England) and
    > have good picture quality.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Graham
    > The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
    > Deathzone Emulation - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk/emulation

    Please post the pros and cons to the group. I'm in the USA and I'm
    also looking for a multisystem LD player with good picture quaity.

    Steve

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:46:41 +0000 (UTC), "John Smith"
    <zilch@zilch.com> wrote:

    >If in the Uk
    >The Pioneer 2950 or the 925
    >I don't know of any USA laserdisc players which play PAL discs
    >If you want the pros and cons of each give me a shout
    >
    >aentity@btgoonyinternet.com
    >
    >remove goony
    >

    >"Graham" <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a good LaserDisc player?
    >> I've been looking on ebay at some but I'm not sure which ones are worth
    >> having.
    >>
    >> It must be able to play NTSC and PAL format discs (I'm in England) and
    >> have good picture quality.
    >>
    >> Many thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham
    >> The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
    >> Deathzone Emulation - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk/emulation

    "Graham" <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good LaserDisc player?
    > I've been looking on ebay at some but I'm not sure which ones are worth
    > having.
    >
    > It must be able to play NTSC and PAL format discs (I'm in England) and
    > have good picture quality.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > --

    I know and have seen in action these Pioneers:
    Single side players : cld1750/cld1950 (stay away from the cld1850).
    Both of them are nice players with good image quality. None of them have an
    AC-3 rf-out but can be modified.

    Dual side players : cld2950 and cld925 (again stay away from the cld2850).
    The 2950 is a well build player, good image quality, no digital memory (so
    no still frame on CLV discs), no AC3 (can be added), optical digital out,
    SCART and S-VHS out.
    The 925 is also a good player however its construction is more 'plastic' and
    is therefor a less 'heavier' build, digital memory, AC3 rf out, optical
    digital out, SCART and S-VHS out.

    The 2950 will have a slightly softer picture compared to the 925. The 925 on
    the other hand has slightly more noise in the picture.
    Personally I prefer my 925 but also keep my 2950 stored in his box as a
    spare.

    None of the above players have the streaking problems for which the so
    called better CLD704 (and all models based on the same design) is known for.

    There are a bunch of other Pioneer models and also Philips and SONY had a
    few PAL/NTSC players.

    So in short : try to find a Pioneer cld2950 or cld925.

    Roy

    In message <9ed7f8114d.TheDoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk>
    Graham <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good LaserDisc player?
    > I've been looking on ebay at some but I'm not sure which ones are worth
    > having.
    >
    > It must be able to play NTSC and PAL format discs (I'm in England) and
    > have good picture quality.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Thanks for the response guys.
    Looks like I'll try and get a CLD925 or 2950.

    Cheers!
    --
    Graham
    The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
    Deathzone Emulation - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk/emulation

    I have a CLD925 and about 25 discs in my attic that I'd be willing to sell
    for a reasonable offer and I'm in the UK
    Greg

    Can anyone recommend a very simple but a good sharp picture quality LD player?

    I do NOT need any extra features such as double sided play, or the ability to
    play CDs or DVDs. I don't think I even need S-Video out.

    I do need a very good and sharp picture. And I do need digital audio out in
    form of either coaxial or optical.

    My main purpose is to x-fer LDs to DVDs, that's why I don't need the fancy
    stuff.

    I do have Pioneer Elite CLD-59, but it looks like the picture quality is very
    granular and is not that sharp. Thanks.

    --Leonid

    If your LD player is actually the CLD-59 and not the 52 then the remote
    should allow you to switch between "Soft", "Normal", "Sharp" video settings.
    If you have the correct remote you can just change it to soft and you will
    not see the grain as easy. This is the first thing to try and see if it
    makes you happy.

    The best your going to do for the grain are older machines that do not come
    with AC-3 RF, it would have to be added if you need it. Philips CDV-488 is
    very good for this but harder to find and no part support, only the Philips
    488/487(488 has pure analog or digital enhanced video, 487 analog only), not
    the others. Then the Pioneer Elite LD-S2 single sided or Elite CLD-97 dual
    sided are also very good. Another thought is trying the LD-V8000 industrial
    machine, can be found cheap but requires a remote with the search button
    instead of the +10 button if you want to jump chapters.

    As others have said, some of this is also the video transfer, you may not
    find the perfect machine, just the best you can afford.

    Kurtis

    Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    : If your LD player is actually the CLD-59 and not the 52 then the remote
    : should allow you to switch between "Soft", "Normal", "Sharp" video settings.

    Unfortunately it's CLD-52. I'll take a look at what you recommended. Thank you.

    --Leonid

    Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    : The best your going to do for the grain are older machines that do not come
    : with AC-3 RF, it would have to be added if you need it. Philips CDV-488 is
    : very good for this but harder to find and no part support, only the Philips
    : 488/487(488 has pure analog or digital enhanced video, 487 analog only), not

    Kurtis, what do you mean digital enhanced video? Could you fill me in on that
    one? I thought on LD there's only audio that stored digitally. Video was
    analog.

    : the others. Then the Pioneer Elite LD-S2 single sided or Elite CLD-97 dual

    There's some of these machines on EBay.

    --Leonid

    Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    : sided are also very good. Another thought is trying the LD-V8000 industrial
    : machine, can be found cheap but requires a remote with the search button
    : instead of the +10 button if you want to jump chapters.

    There're tons of them on Ebay, but unfortunately it doesn't have digital
    audio out (coaxial or optical).

    What do you think about CLD-95 Elite? It's also in 1992. As bad as CLD-52?

    --Leonid

    As for my note about digital picture. You are correct, LD is an analog FM
    format. What Pioneer has done and most others also was to take the analog
    signal, do an 8-bit A/D conversion, time base correct, some do noise
    reduction here, then do an D/A to go back to digital, then go to a A/D to
    perform the Y/C separation, then D/A to go back to analog.

    The CLD-97 is better than the 95, it corrected errors and provided a path
    with that goes analog/digital/analog only, does not convert back to analog
    before the Y/C filter. The 95 goes analog/digital/analog/digital/analog.

    Now the lower end Pioneer units like the CLD-S104 for example does not
    perform this analog/digital/analog scenario. The Philips older machines
    CDV-487 was analog also just like the CLD-S104 but the Philips CDV-488 gave
    you the option of Analog only or the analog/digital/analog selection. By
    adding the 8-bit A/D/A Pioneer and others found it actually gives the
    picture a little sharper look, though it is worse with still frames. The
    Philips gives you the digital out but the Pioneer lower end units do not.
    But the Pioneer Elites LD-S2 and CLD-97 need to be considered even though
    they have the A/D/A steps as their picture is very smooth.

    I agree the LD-V8000 does not have a digital output, I misunderstood. I
    thought you meant built-in D/A's was the requirement.

    Again, it all depends on your preferences. What I prefer will be different
    from you. You need to decide what work best in your setup.

    > Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    > : sided are also very good. Another thought is trying the LD-V8000
    > industrial
    > : machine, can be found cheap but requires a remote with the search button
    > : instead of the +10 button if you want to jump chapters.
    >

    > There're tons of them on Ebay, but unfortunately it doesn't have digital
    > audio out (coaxial or optical).
    >
    > What do you think about CLD-95 Elite? It's also in 1992. As bad as CLD-52?
    >
    > --Leonid

    Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    : As for my note about digital picture. You are correct, LD is an analog FM
    : format. What Pioneer has done and most others also was to take the analog
    : signal, do an 8-bit A/D conversion, time base correct, some do noise
    : reduction here, then do an D/A to go back to digital, then go to a A/D to
    : perform the Y/C separation, then D/A to go back to analog.

    Interesting. I didn't know that. When did Pioneer start doing video A/D? Since
    what unit?

    : The CLD-97 is better than the 95, it corrected errors and provided a path
    : with that goes analog/digital/analog only, does not convert back to analog
    : before the Y/C filter. The 95 goes analog/digital/analog/digital/analog.

    Too many steps.

    By the way, are there any units there that allow you to extract video in
    digital format? That's basically all I need. And if so, what format would it
    be?

    : Now the lower end Pioneer units like the CLD-S104 for example does not
    : perform this analog/digital/analog scenario. The Philips older machines
    : CDV-487 was analog also just like the CLD-S104 but the Philips CDV-488 gave
    : you the option of Analog only or the analog/digital/analog selection. By
    : adding the 8-bit A/D/A Pioneer and others found it actually gives the
    : picture a little sharper look, though it is worse with still frames. The
    : Philips gives you the digital out but the Pioneer lower end units do not.

    Kurtis, and what about units like Pioneer DVL 909, 919, stuff like that as
    far as LD playback goes? Do they compare to CLD-99, CLD-97?

    : Again, it all depends on your preferences. What I prefer will be different
    : from you. You need to decide what work best in your setup.

    I will be taken a more close look at Philips units. All I need is a good
    analog signal. I have a decent 9 bit A/D capture card that can convert it to
    digital (9 bit conversion - better than 8 bit), and the rest can be done
    on computer. But digital audio out is a must 'cause then the audio quality
    won't be lost. Thank you, Kurtis.

    BTW, as I said CLD-52 is my only LD player experience. Is it considered bad,
    good or average?

    --Leonid

    I really cannot guarantee which unit will make you happy. I have never seen
    a CLD-52, but it looks for be a CLD-D501 or there about. You might have a
    hard time getting what you want as this unit has a softer picture than the
    newer ones.

    I agree with others that have stated that some of the early LD's were poor
    quality. Look like the concert you are playing with may just be a poor
    transfer.

    > Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    > : As for my note about digital picture. You are correct, LD is an analog
    > FM
    > : format. What Pioneer has done and most others also was to take the
    > analog
    > : signal, do an 8-bit A/D conversion, time base correct, some do noise
    > : reduction here, then do an D/A to go back to digital, then go to a A/D
    > : perform the Y/C separation, then D/A to go back to analog.
    >
    > Interesting. I didn't know that. When did Pioneer start doing video A/D?
    > Since
    > what unit?
    >

    > : The CLD-97 is better than the 95, it corrected errors and provided a
    > path
    > : with that goes analog/digital/analog only, does not convert back to
    > analog
    > : before the Y/C filter. The 95 goes
    > analog/digital/analog/digital/analog.
    >
    > Too many steps.
    >
    > By the way, are there any units there that allow you to extract video in
    > digital format? That's basically all I need. And if so, what format would
    > it
    > be?
    >
    > : Now the lower end Pioneer units like the CLD-S104 for example does not
    > : perform this analog/digital/analog scenario. The Philips older machines
    > : CDV-487 was analog also just like the CLD-S104 but the Philips CDV-488
    > gave
    > : you the option of Analog only or the analog/digital/analog selection.
    > By
    > : adding the 8-bit A/D/A Pioneer and others found it actually gives the
    > : picture a little sharper look, though it is worse with still frames.
    > The
    > : Philips gives you the digital out but the Pioneer lower end units do
    > not.
    >
    > Kurtis, and what about units like Pioneer DVL 909, 919, stuff like that as
    > far as LD playback goes? Do they compare to CLD-99, CLD-97?
    >
    > : Again, it all depends on your preferences. What I prefer will be
    > different
    > : from you. You need to decide what work best in your setup.
    >
    > I will be taken a more close look at Philips units. All I need is a good
    > analog signal. I have a decent 9 bit A/D capture card that can convert it
    > digital (9 bit conversion - better than 8 bit), and the rest can be done
    > on computer. But digital audio out is a must 'cause then the audio quality
    > won't be lost. Thank you, Kurtis.
    >
    > BTW, as I said CLD-52 is my only LD player experience. Is it considered
    > bad,
    > good or average?
    >
    > --Leonid

    Kurtis,

    I don't see Philips 488 or 487 series on Ebay. But I saw
    MAGNAVOX PHILIPS WRV 100
    and
    Philips CDV600

    how do these compare to 488? Thanks.

    --Leonid

    Only the 487 and 488. But as I said they are older and hard to tweak
    properly. Took me many more hours than a Pioneer takes.

    Again it all will be a loss if you have a bad mastered LD. Nothing can help
    it.

    > Kurtis,
    >
    > I don't see Philips 488 or 487 series on Ebay. But I saw
    > MAGNAVOX PHILIPS WRV 100
    > and
    > Philips CDV600
    >
    > how do these compare to 488? Thanks.
    >
    > --Leonid

    Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    : Only the 487 and 488. But as I said they are older and hard to tweak
    : properly. Took me many more hours than a Pioneer takes.

    Kurtis, what do you mean to tweak? Just tamper with settings or do you mean
    one has to open up the unit?

    Also do you know whether any of the Philips units have digital audio out?
    This page
    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/philips/philips_archive_page.htm
    doesn't have any entries on these.

    Thanks.

    --Leonid

    The only reason I mentioned the 488 as it has the option of Analog or
    Digital video. Otherwise buy a Pioneer. By tweaking I mean opening the
    unit and adjusting the servo's and pickup alignment to achieve peak
    performance. The 488 has digital out but no AC-3 RF.

    I really think your problem is the transfer and nothing will help.

    > Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    > : Only the 487 and 488. But as I said they are older and hard to tweak
    > : properly. Took me many more hours than a Pioneer takes.
    >
    > Kurtis, what do you mean to tweak? Just tamper with settings or do you
    > mean
    > one has to open up the unit?
    >
    > Also do you know whether any of the Philips units have digital audio out?
    > This page
    > http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/philips/philips_archive_page.htm
    > doesn't have any entries on these.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --Leonid

    Kurtis Bahr <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote:
    : I really think your problem is the transfer and nothing will help.

    In fact I found that adjusting the sharpness to -4 (minus 4) and going to
    LaserDisc Player->computer->TV Out->TV gives pretty much almost identical picture
    as going directly LaserDisc Player->TV. Didn't notice any grain.

    Thanks a lot.

    BTW, I also noticed that CLD-52 has Soft picture option and Film mode.
    Soft picture only works with S-Video out and when ON gives a bit more blury
    signal. As for Film mode. I don't know what that is. I don't have a manual.
    Is it when the source is film (not video), i.e. 23.976 fps, it plays it
    differently? Thanks.

    --Leonid

    > As for Film mode. I don't know what that is. I don't have a manual.
    > Is it when the source is film (not video), i.e. 23.976 fps, it plays
    > it
    > differently? Thanks.

    No, "Film Mode" means that the side change will be sped up and the
    player will display a black frame during the turnover. With this mode
    disengaged, the player instead freezes on a film frame from the end of
    the first side while you wait for the turn (which will be slower).

    There are no progressive scan laserdisc players, so whether the source
    is film or video sourced makes no difference to the LD player.

Laser Disc Players Video Emulation