no video source - all recordings 'less than 1 minute'

I have early Panasonic Showstopper/Replay all of a sudden the other
night for all recordings it displays the message ...less than 1 minute
recorded. When I play the show, the following message appears:
No video source.
*Verify that video components are properly attached and powered on.
*the channel is available to you.

i checked all cables - someone else suggested it's 'the encoder' --
ideas? is it finally dead (worked faithfully for years) --
thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about video source recordings minute

    Can you watch live TV? Is your cable box on?

    >>Can you watch live TV? Is your cable box on?

    >Note that there is no reason not to leave it "on" all the time. The
    >"power" switch is mostly a lie and has no measurable effect on power
    >consumption.

    Actually, if you read my message you'll see that I'm talking about his
    cable box, not his replaytv. If he has cable and the descrambler is
    turned off, it will generate the symptoms mentioned (no video signal,
    <1 minute records, etc).

    On 19 Nov 2004 09:31:02 -0800, "Chairboy" <ben.hallert@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Can you watch live TV? Is your cable box on?

    Note that there is no reason not to leave it "on" all the time. The
    "power" switch is mostly a lie and has no measurable effect on power
    consumption.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    On 19 Nov 2004 10:35:04 -0800, "Chairboy" <ben.hallert@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >>>Can you watch live TV? Is your cable box on?
    >
    >>Note that there is no reason not to leave it "on" all the time. The
    >>"power" switch is mostly a lie and has no measurable effect on power
    >>consumption.
    >
    >Actually, if you read my message you'll see that I'm talking about his
    >cable box, not his replaytv.

    And I was talking about the cable box too. It's much better when
    people are talking about the same things.

    > If he has cable and the descrambler is
    >turned off, it will generate the symptoms mentioned (no video signal,
    ><1 minute records, etc).

    Mostly I had trouble with video cables falling out. This happens much
    more easily with S-video than composite (the connector is less
    physically secure).

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    yes - tv is PIP with TIVO too and all other 'inputs' are OK - only
    Replay has problem

    I thought it was just me. This happened to me the other night too. On
    Tuesday night, 11/16, NYPD Blue was set to record. The next morning, I saw
    the same message. I watch TV thru my Showstopper so I know all cables are
    good and I have recorded both manually and by schedule since then with no
    problems. Any ideas?

    <mardidiamond@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have early Panasonic Showstopper/Replay all of a sudden the other
    > night for all recordings it displays the message ...less than 1 minute
    > recorded. When I play the show, the following message appears:
    > No video source.
    > *Verify that video components are properly attached and powered on.
    > *the channel is available to you.
    >
    > i checked all cables - someone else suggested it's 'the encoder' --
    > ideas? is it finally dead (worked faithfully for years) --
    > thanks

    Unplug replaytv from power outlet, wait 5 minutes. Plug back in. Works

    "Shawn E. Hale" <SEHaleNOSPAM1@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I thought it was just me. This happened to me the other night too. On
    > Tuesday night, 11/16, NYPD Blue was set to record. The next morning, I
    saw
    > the same message. I watch TV thru my Showstopper so I know all cables are
    > good and I have recorded both manually and by schedule since then with no
    > problems. Any ideas?
    >

    > <mardidiamond@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have early Panasonic Showstopper/Replay all of a sudden the other
    > > night for all recordings it displays the message ...less than 1 minute
    > > recorded. When I play the show, the following message appears:
    > > No video source.
    > > *Verify that video components are properly attached and powered on.
    > > *the channel is available to you.
    > >
    > > i checked all cables - someone else suggested it's 'the encoder' --
    > > ideas? is it finally dead (worked faithfully for years) --
    > > thanks

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:15:23 -0500, "Little Brittle & the C Bag"
    <littlebrittle@cbag.com> wrote:

    >Unplug replaytv from power outlet, wait 5 minutes. Plug back in. Works

    And make sure the source components are outputting video. It won't
    work otherwise.

    >"Shawn E. Hale" <SEHaleNOSPAM1@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I thought it was just me. This happened to me the other night too. On
    >> Tuesday night, 11/16, NYPD Blue was set to record. The next morning, I
    >saw
    >> the same message. I watch TV thru my Showstopper so I know all cables are
    >> good and I have recorded both manually and by schedule since then with no
    >> problems. Any ideas?
    >>

    >> <mardidiamond@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have early Panasonic Showstopper/Replay all of a sudden the other
    >> > night for all recordings it displays the message ...less than 1 minute
    >> > recorded. When I play the show, the following message appears:
    >> > No video source.
    >> > *Verify that video components are properly attached and powered on.
    >> > *the channel is available to you.
    >> >
    >> > i checked all cables - someone else suggested it's 'the encoder' --
    >> > ideas? is it finally dead (worked faithfully for years) --
    >> > thanks

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    The unit has worked fine since that one incident without any powering down
    or other changes. It was just strange to get that same message as the
    original poster, for that one particular show, and have no problems since.

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:15:23 -0500, "Little Brittle & the C Bag"
    > <littlebrittle@cbag.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Unplug replaytv from power outlet, wait 5 minutes. Plug back in. Works
    >>

    > And make sure the source components are outputting video. It won't
    > work otherwise.
    >
    >>"Shawn E. Hale" <SEHaleNOSPAM1@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I thought it was just me. This happened to me the other night too. On
    >>> Tuesday night, 11/16, NYPD Blue was set to record. The next morning, I
    >>saw
    >>> the same message. I watch TV thru my Showstopper so I know all cables
    >>> are
    >>> good and I have recorded both manually and by schedule since then with
    >>> no
    >>> problems. Any ideas?
    >>>

    >>> <mardidiamond@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > --
    > 34 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > has a Replay 5xxx
    > http://go.to/notstupid
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >
    > "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    > paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    > anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:12:22 -0500, "Shawn E. Hale"
    <SEHaleNOSPAM1@Comcast.net> wrote:

    >The unit has worked fine since that one incident without any powering down
    >or other changes. It was just strange to get that same message as the
    >original poster, for that one particular show, and have no problems since.

    A lot of problems are like that. They occur occaisionally and you
    never find out why.

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:15:23 -0500, "Little Brittle & the C Bag"
    >> <littlebrittle@cbag.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Unplug replaytv from power outlet, wait 5 minutes. Plug back in. Works
    >>>

    >> And make sure the source components are outputting video. It won't
    >> work otherwise.
    >>
    >>>"Shawn E. Hale" <SEHaleNOSPAM1@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>saw

    >> --
    >> 34 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> has a Replay 5xxx
    >> http://go.to/notstupid
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>
    >> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    mardidiamond@gmail.com wrote in news:1100921123.937027.287310
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > yes - tv is PIP with TIVO too and all other 'inputs' are OK - only
    > Replay has problem

    I have seen this behavior on both of my RTV4504 units at some time or
    another. The fix was to start removing the last recorded shows (watch them
    and delete them). Then reboot the unit.

    The problem appears to be the buffer getting confused about space and once
    it stops buffering it won't go again until a reboot.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Last year I had the same problem whenever I tried to record Smallville
    on any machine. This season it's fine. I think (but am not sure) that
    Channel 5, which I only recorded for Smallville, was slightly off
    frequency on the cable. I surmised this after noticing that when tuning
    channel 5 by pressing "05" on the remote I got the "no video" message
    but if I used the channel up/down button it came in fine.
    In any case, either RTV sent a fix or the cable company tweaked their
    headend because it's fine this season.

    From:Shawn E. Hale
    SEHaleNOSPAM1@Comcast.net

    > The unit has worked fine since that one incident without any powering
    > down or other changes. It was just strange to get that same message
    > as the original poster, for that one particular show, and have no
    > problems since.
    >
    > "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:15:23 -0500, "Little Brittle & the C Bag"
    >> <littlebrittle@cbag.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unplug replaytv from power outlet, wait 5 minutes. Plug back in.
    >>> Works
    >>
    >> And make sure the source components are outputting video. It won't
    >> work otherwise.
    >>
    >>> "Shawn E. Hale" <SEHaleNOSPAM1@Comcast.net> wrote in message

    >> --
    >> 34 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> has a Replay 5xxx
    >> http://go.to/notstupid
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>
    >> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

Ptv Replaytv Panasonic Video ReplayTV