help with setup please

hi:

i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player, Toshiba
VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this along with my
cable receiver.

Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my RTV.
I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked and I don't
want to mess up what is already working.

Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):

1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN
2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1
3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN

Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it to my
RTV at the same time?

TIA,

TB
20 answers Last reply
More about setup

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:12:36 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote:

    >hi:
    >
    >i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player, Toshiba
    >VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this along with my
    >cable receiver.
    >
    >Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my RTV.
    >I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked and I don't
    >want to mess up what is already working.
    >
    >Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):
    >
    >1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN

    It makes more sense to specify the signal type (RF) rather than the
    connector type here. Note that A/V cables are coax too.

    >2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1

    Probably meany Audio/Video here.

    >3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
    >4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
    >5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN
    >
    >Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it to my
    >RTV at the same time?

    you'd need to connect the video output from the DVD to the Replay and
    record that. Note that this would temporarily block any automatic
    recordings on the Replay.

    >TIA,
    >
    >TB

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    You need to run the S-Video from the DVD to an input on the RTV rather
    than to the TV. Then you can watch it while recording it.

    From:T.B.
    balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net

    > hi:
    >
    > i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player,
    > Toshiba VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this
    > along with my cable receiver.
    >
    > Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my
    > RTV. I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked
    > and I don't want to mess up what is already working.
    >
    > Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):
    >
    > 1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN
    > 2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1
    > 3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
    > 4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
    > 5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN
    >
    > Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it
    > to my RTV at the same time?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > TB

    i tried that and it didn't work. do I need to change something in the RTV
    setup menu to achieve this?

    TB

    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    > You need to run the S-Video from the DVD to an input on the RTV rather
    > than to the TV. Then you can watch it while recording it.
    >
    > From:T.B.
    > balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net
    >
    > > hi:
    > >
    > > i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player,
    > > Toshiba VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this
    > > along with my cable receiver.
    > >
    > > Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my
    > > RTV. I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked
    > > and I don't want to mess up what is already working.
    > >
    > > Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):
    > >
    > > 1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN
    > > 2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1
    > > 3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
    > > 4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
    > > 5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN
    > >
    > > Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it
    > > to my RTV at the same time?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > TB

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:29:45 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote:

    >i tried that and it didn't work. do I need to change something in the RTV
    >setup menu to achieve this?
    >
    >TB

    "doesn't work" is a seriously incomplete problem statement. WHAT
    happened?

    Note that the S-video input to the Replay is associated with input 2
    only. You have to specify S-video when setting it up.

    T.B. wrote:

    > hi:
    >
    > i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player, Toshiba
    > VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this along with my
    > cable receiver.
    >
    > Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my RTV.
    > I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked and I don't
    > want to mess up what is already working.
    >
    > Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):
    >
    > 1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN
    > 2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1
    > 3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
    > 4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
    > 5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN
    >
    > Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it to my
    > RTV at the same time?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > TB

    I do that all the time with a 5500 series, Here is my set up and what I
    had to do.

    Outdoor antenna feeds the coax in (this is not used for DVD watching)

    S-Video cable from DVD to RTV, plus 2 RCA type audio cables (you need
    these too) to line-in 2 right and left, NOTE, these MUST go to line in
    2, I believe I could use an optical cable,,, but the difference is less
    than my tinnittius so I did no bother.

    2: Go to menu, setup and set the line-2 input to S-Video THIS IS MOST
    IMPORTANT, Line-2 audio sould be left alone (Defaluts to analog)

    3: Tune to any TV channel... Now, press the INPUT key on your remote.
    Press left twice, press exit It will take a minute but you should now
    see your DVD's root menu (Have a DVD in the player when you do this)

    You are set to watch/record now... If you wish to record unattended (As
    I do) then you go to menu-manual record... Set up the date/time and when
    you get to the TV station, press FAST FORWARD, Left arrow to LINE-2
    Down Arrow to continue or done (whatever it says) and select to go to
    the next option.

    That simple. should work. NOTE you may have to manually select S-VIDEO
    out on the DVD as well (Some have a switch, usually rear panel, possible
    menu, To access this menu you must NOT have a DVD in the drive)

    I've never tried optical for the audio.. Should work, but I've never
    tried it on the RTV (use optical for other stuff all the time, been
    doing it for years, but never on the RTV)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:10:04 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >T.B. wrote:
    >
    >> hi:
    >>
    >> i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player, Toshiba
    >> VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this along with my
    >> cable receiver.
    >>
    >> Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my RTV.
    >> I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked and I don't
    >> want to mess up what is already working.
    >>
    >> Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):
    >>
    >> 1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN
    >> 2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1
    >> 3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
    >> 4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
    >> 5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN
    >>
    >> Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it to my
    >> RTV at the same time?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> TB
    >>

    >I do that all the time with a 5500 series, Here is my set up and what I
    >had to do.
    >
    >Outdoor antenna feeds the coax in (this is not used for DVD watching)
    >
    >S-Video cable from DVD to RTV, plus 2 RCA type audio cables (you need
    >these too) to line-in 2 right and left, NOTE, these MUST go to line in
    >2, I believe I could use an optical cable,,, but the difference is less
    >than my tinnittius so I did no bother.

    No, you can't. The Replay had no optical input. Note that the optical
    connector on the Replay is an OUTPUT.

    >2: Go to menu, setup and set the line-2 input to S-Video THIS IS MOST
    >IMPORTANT, Line-2 audio sould be left alone (Defaluts to analog)

    It's not a default. It's the only thing available.

    >3: Tune to any TV channel... Now, press the INPUT key on your remote.
    >Press left twice, press exit It will take a minute but you should now
    >see your DVD's root menu (Have a DVD in the player when you do this)

    Tuning to a channel has no effect here.

    As to selecting the input, the menu can be very aggravating here
    because of the excessive control latency. It's much easier if you've
    set up a fake input device. On my system, I select channel 1010 to get
    input 2. I told it I had digital cable, to make the input selection
    easier.

    >You are set to watch/record now... If you wish to record unattended (As
    >I do) then you go to menu-manual record... Set up the date/time and when
    >you get to the TV station, press FAST FORWARD, Left arrow to LINE-2
    >Down Arrow to continue or done (whatever it says) and select to go to
    >the next option.

    Recording is important here, even if all you want to do is watch.
    Otherwise, you can be interrupted at any time by an automatic
    recording. It isn't easy to get back to where you were when that
    happens.

    >That simple. should work. NOTE you may have to manually select S-VIDEO
    >out on the DVD as well (Some have a switch, usually rear panel, possible
    >menu, To access this menu you must NOT have a DVD in the drive)

    That must be very few. I've never seen one where you had to switch on
    S-video. There may be switches for more sophisticated outputs like
    component video and Dolby Digital.

    >I've never tried optical for the audio.. Should work, but I've never
    >tried it on the RTV (use optical for other stuff all the time, been
    >doing it for years, but never on the RTV)

    The Replay still has no optical input (I even checked in case an
    upgrade made it grow one).

    T.B. wrote:

    > hi:
    >
    > i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player, Toshiba
    > VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this along with my
    > cable receiver.
    >
    > Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my RTV.
    > I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked and I don't
    > want to mess up what is already working.
    >
    > Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):
    >
    > 1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN
    > 2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1
    > 3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
    > 4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
    > 5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN
    >
    > Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it to my
    > RTV at the same time?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > TB

    RE reading what you wrote..... I think what you need is 1: A set of
    audio cables from the DVD to the RTV if not already hooked up (INput 2)

    And 2: The setting for line-2 input in the RTV setup menu set to S-Video

    That was the one that sent me to the instruction manual

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:12:36 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote:

    >hi:
    >
    >i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player, Toshiba
    >VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this along with my
    >cable receiver.
    >
    >Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my RTV.
    >I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked and I don't
    >want to mess up what is already working.
    >
    >Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):
    >
    >1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN
    >2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1
    >3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
    >4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
    >5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN
    ?? How is the Replay going to record when the signal never
    goes to it?
    I may be wrong, but shouldn't the DVD S-Video Out go to the
    RTV S-Video IN. Then you would select the input on RTV to
    change from Cable to DVD.

    I would also connect the RTV S-Video out to the TV S-Video
    in.

    >Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it to my
    >RTV at the same time?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >TB

    thanks for all the suggestions.

    i finally got it to work, and here is what I did:

    1. ran S-Video out on DVD player to S-Video in on RTV
    2. ran A/V from RTV out2 to TV in
    3. changed Input2 in Setup to Other Device=S-Video
    4. Went into Menu and changed input

    I was ignorant and didn't know about #4, that is where I was getting stuck.

    Thanks again group,
    TB

    ps--recording Bladerunner from DVD right now:)
    "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
    > hi:
    >
    > i currently have a working setup with a RTV 5080, Sony DVD Player, Toshiba
    > VCR and a regular old Cable Ready Panasonic TV; all this along with my
    > cable receiver.
    >
    > Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to record a DVD to my RTV.
    > I have tried reconfiguring some things, but nothing has worked and I don't
    > want to mess up what is already working.
    >
    > Here is how I have things setup right now(hopefully this makes sense):
    >
    > 1. COAX Cable supply line to COAX Cable receiver IN
    > 2. RCA Cable receiver out to RTV RCA IN1
    > 3. RTV RCA OUT1 to VCR RCA IN
    > 4. VCR COAX OUT to TV COAX IN
    > 5. DVD S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN
    >
    > Anyway, what do I need to do to be able to watch a DVD and record it to my
    > RTV at the same time?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > TB

  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    could you please explain what you mean my "setting up a fake input device".
    how exactly do I do this?

    confused,

    TB

    > As to selecting the input, the menu can be very aggravating here
    > because of the excessive control latency. It's much easier if you've
    > set up a fake input device. On my system, I select channel 1010 to get
    > input 2. I told it I had digital cable, to make the input selection
    > easier.
    >
    > >You are set to watch/record now... If you wish to record unattended (As
    > >I do) then you go to menu-manual record... Set up the date/time and when
    > >you get to the TV station, press FAST FORWARD, Left arrow to LINE-2
    > >Down Arrow to continue or done (whatever it says) and select to go to
    > >the next
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    T.B. wrote:
    > thanks for all the suggestions.
    >
    > i finally got it to work, and here is what I did:
    >
    > 1. ran S-Video out on DVD player to S-Video in on RTV
    > 2. ran A/V from RTV out2 to TV in
    > 3. changed Input2 in Setup to Other Device=S-Video
    > 4. Went into Menu and changed input
    >
    > I was ignorant and didn't know about #4, that is where I was getting stuck.

    No problem, Like I said,,,, That was the step that sent me back to the
    owner's manual a few times before I got it right.... Watched 2 movies
    today (Well one yesterday, one this morning) on my laptop thanks to the
    RTV copying them..... The laptop does not like to play with DVD's (just
    a bit too slow) but does well with RTV files.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:44:57 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.grandecom.net> wrote:

    >could you please explain what you mean my "setting up a fake input device".
    >how exactly do I do this?
    >
    >confused,
    >
    >TB

    I didn't before bacause I didn't want to take all that time and be
    ignored, which is the usual response.

    SETTING UP A FAKE INPUT DEVICE:

    1. Pick an input device (such as digital cable) that the Replay will
    work with but you DO NOT have. If you don't know about this, skip to
    step 2 and you'll get a menu.

    2. Set up input 2 (since this is the one you want to use, it has
    S-video) to use this device. Be sure to specify Composite or S-video
    according to the source you have connected. Don't worry about the
    remote control setup (just select anything), considering that this
    device isn't actually there.

    3. Go to "Menu > Setup > Add Or Remove Channels" and deselect all the
    channels on this device (you don't want the Replay to try any
    automatic recordings here, and the guide will be wrong).

    4. Now, you can select any of those channels manually, and you will
    get input 2. This is much easier to do than to use the "input" button,
    which leads to a lot of aggravation because of the extreme latency.

    This method should work on ANY Replay (and probably any non-dedicated
    TiVo too).

    This isn't originally my idea, but one I learned from someone here. My
    newest Replay (a 5504) gets analog cable only. However, I told it I
    have DirecTV on input 1 and digital cable on input 2. All channels on
    these nonexistant devices are deselected, and don't appear in the
    guide. Now, to record things like VCR & DVD I select channel 404 for
    input 1 and channel 1010 for input 2. This even works in "manual
    record".

    Note that this setup makes all my Replays use the same numbers for
    channels they do get. The other 2 Replays DO get DirecTV. Also DVA is
    set up that way (7+ for DTV, 2002+ for analog cable).

    >> As to selecting the input, the menu can be very aggravating here
    >> because of the excessive control latency. It's much easier if you've
    >> set up a fake input device. On my system, I select channel 1010 to get
    >> input 2. I told it I had digital cable, to make the input selection
    >> easier.
    >>
    >> >You are set to watch/record now... If you wish to record unattended (As
    >> >I do) then you go to menu-manual record... Set up the date/time and when
    >> >you get to the TV station, press FAST FORWARD, Left arrow to LINE-2
    >> >Down Arrow to continue or done (whatever it says) and select to go to
    >> >the next

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark- thanks for the help, i had a question though... see below:

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    > 3. Go to "Menu > Setup > Add Or Remove Channels" and deselect all the
    > channels on this device (you don't want the Replay to try any
    > automatic recordings here, and the guide will be wrong).

    sort of confused on this step. I have setup the "fake" device on Input2
    as you instructed and went into Menu>Setup>Add or Remove
    channels to try and "deselect all the channels on this device".
    However, I'm not quite sure how to make sure that I am removing the
    channels from Input2 instead of Input1 as there is no way to
    differentiate between the 2.

    thanks
    TB
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:00:39 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote:

    >Mark- thanks for the help, i had a question though... see below:
    >
    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >>
    >> 3. Go to "Menu > Setup > Add Or Remove Channels" and deselect all the
    >> channels on this device (you don't want the Replay to try any
    >> automatic recordings here, and the guide will be wrong).
    >>
    > sort of confused on this step. I have setup the "fake" device on Input2
    >as you instructed and went into Menu>Setup>Add or Remove
    > channels to try and "deselect all the channels on this device".
    >However, I'm not quite sure how to make sure that I am removing the
    > channels from Input2 instead of Input1 as there is no way to
    >differentiate between the 2.
    >
    >thanks
    >TB

    It's easy to tell. What channels do your existing (real) devices have?
    What channels just showed up in the list when you added that fake
    device?

    Also, on the top line you will see something like "KYTX KYTK
    Cable 2003" where the first item is the channel name, followed by the
    abbreviation, then the source type, then the channel number".

    Also, consider the channel ranges: in most cases, input 1 (if used)
    will be followed by input 2, then the internal tuner" as on my setup,
    where:

    0xxx in for input 1
    1xxx is for input 2 (it's probably these you need to deselect)
    2xxx is for the tuner

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > > sort of confused on this step. I have setup the "fake" device on
    Input2
    > >as you instructed and went into Menu>Setup>Add or Remove
    > > channels to try and "deselect all the channels on this device".
    > >However, I'm not quite sure how to make sure that I am removing the
    > > channels from Input2 instead of Input1 as there is no way to
    > >differentiate between the 2.
    > >
    > >thanks
    > >TB
    > >

    > It's easy to tell. What channels do your existing (real) devices have?
    2-756 with some of them being premium channels that we haven't
    ordered and/or PPV.

    > What channels just showed up in the list when you added that fake
    > device?
    2-756; the one's that have always been there.

    > Also, on the top line you will see something like "KYTX KYTK
    > Cable 2003" where the first item is the channel name, followed by the
    > abbreviation, then the source type, then the channel number".
    On the top line here, I see something like DISN Cable 161 (Disney
    Channel) and it
    is the same for all of the channels.

    > Also, consider the channel ranges: in most cases, input 1 (if used)
    > will be followed by input 2, then the internal tuner" as on my setup,
    > where:
    >
    > 0xxx in for input 1
    > 1xxx is for input 2 (it's probably these you need to deselect)
    > 2xxx is for the tuner
    Not following you here. When you say input1 will be followed by
    input2, what and where are you referring to?
    I'm not seeing anything that has 4 numbers anywhere. My channel
    range is 2-756, there are no 4 digit numbers.

    Sorry to be a pain, hopefully we can figure this out.

    TB
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:16:55 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote:

    >> > sort of confused on this step. I have setup the "fake" device on
    >Input2
    >> >as you instructed and went into Menu>Setup>Add or Remove
    >> > channels to try and "deselect all the channels on this device".
    >> >However, I'm not quite sure how to make sure that I am removing the
    >> > channels from Input2 instead of Input1 as there is no way to
    >> >differentiate between the 2.
    >> >
    >> >thanks
    >> >TB
    >> >

    >> It's easy to tell. What channels do your existing (real) devices have?
    > 2-756 with some of them being premium channels that we haven't
    >ordered and/or PPV.

    The fact that some have not been ordered is irrelevant to the way the
    Replay assigns numbers. They still exist. You can set the guide to not
    display those (and you can deselect PPV and music even if you watch
    those, since they don't display titles).

    Note that there may be 2 guides available for a satellite service,
    national only and with locals. Which you choose can affect the channel
    number assignments.

    >> What channels just showed up in the list when you added that fake
    >> device?
    > 2-756; the one's that have always been there.

    So you had 2-756 before, and 2-756 were added. That cah happen when
    you add a new source component (real or fake). The existing channels
    were moved to higher numbers. Think about what channels this fake
    device would have.

    Also, there's something wrong here, such as if the new device was
    identical to the old device (or none was added). Perhaps you didn't
    set it up right (and you're not really talking about ADDED channels,
    but EXISTING channels. I asked about ADDED channels). Note that when
    you make changes you have to select "keep all changes". Otherwise you
    lose them. If that case, there will be NO added channels.

    >> Also, on the top line you will see something like "KYTX KYTK
    >> Cable 2003" where the first item is the channel name, followed by the
    >> abbreviation, then the source type, then the channel number".
    > On the top line here, I see something like DISN Cable 161 (Disney
    >Channel) and it
    > is the same for all of the channels.

    So you have digital cable only? What fake device did you add? Looks
    like nothing was added. Go back to the setup menu and check.

    >> Also, consider the channel ranges: in most cases, input 1 (if used)
    >> will be followed by input 2, then the internal tuner" as on my setup,
    >> where:
    >>
    >> 0xxx in for input 1
    >> 1xxx is for input 2 (it's probably these you need to deselect)
    >> 2xxx is for the tuner
    > Not following you here. When you say input1 will be followed by
    >input2, what and where are you referring to?
    > I'm not seeing anything that has 4 numbers anywhere. My channel
    >range is 2-756, there are no 4 digit numbers.

    Looks like your Replay has one source device (probably digital cable
    on input 1, giving information helps) only. You have not added
    anything.

    Note: considering 4-digit numbers, 0756, 0099, and 0002 are all
    4-digit numbers. They just start with 0. If you add another source
    device (real or fake), there will be some numbers of 1000 or greater.
    According to the sparse information given, the new device will use the
    1xxx range.

    > Sorry to be a pain, hopefully we can figure this out.

    Just try being careful and thinking about what you're doing and pay
    attention to what happens.

    >TB

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    mark:

    i have gotten it working. i think my whole problem is that I hadn't
    selected "save all settings" and thus the new channels didn't show up. once
    i did that, the 'new' channels showed up and were 1002-1756. I deselected
    all of those and now can get my DVD on 1010; nice!

    one last question, you said that you could watch your vcr and dvd player in
    this way. how do you do both at the same time as there is only one s-video
    IN.

    thanks for all your help,

    TB

> [...]
    > 4-digit numbers. They just start with 0. If you add another source
    > device (real or fake), there will be some numbers of 1000 or greater.
    > According to the sparse information given, the new device will use the
    > 1xxx range.
    >

    > > Sorry to be a pain, hopefully we can figure this out.
    > >

    > Just try being careful and thinking about what you're doing and pay
    > attention to what happens.
    >
    > >TB
    > >

    > --
    > 34 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > has a Replay 5xxx
    > http://go.to/notstupid
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >
    > "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    > paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    > anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Use another input with standard cables instead of SVHS. There's almost
    no difference in quality.

    From:T.B.
> [...]

    >> Note: considering 4-digit numbers, 0756, 0099, and 0002 are all
    >> 4-digit numbers. They just start with 0. If you add another source
    >> device (real or fake), there will be some numbers of 1000 or greater.
    >> According to the sparse information given, the new device will use
    >> the 1xxx range.
    >>

    >>> Sorry to be a pain, hopefully we can figure this out.
    >>>

    >> Just try being careful and thinking about what you're doing and pay
    >> attention to what happens.
    >>
    >>> TB
    >>>

    >> --
    >> 34 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> has a Replay 5xxx
    >> http://go.to/notstupid
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>
    >> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:53:20 -0600, "T.B."
    <balfour@donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.grandecom.net> wrote:

    >mark:
    >
    >i have gotten it working. i think my whole problem is that I hadn't
    >selected "save all settings" and thus the new channels didn't show up. once
    >i did that, the 'new' channels showed up and were 1002-1756. I deselected
    >all of those and now can get my DVD on 1010; nice!

    I did make that mistake once. I immediately noticed that nothing had
    changed.

    >one last question, you said that you could watch your vcr and dvd player in
    >this way. how do you do both at the same time as there is only one s-video
    >IN.

    I do watch VCR that way, bacuase it's easier on the tapes
    (stopping/starting tape can physically damage it, as well as cause
    problrems with the recording). I do this with DVD only when copying
    it, since DVD controls are ALREADY good.

    VCRs do not use S-video and there are 2 inputs. Anyway, I use
    composite, since the connector itself fits better. The slight
    improvement of S-video isn't worth the reduced reliability.

    When I got DirecTV, I started with S-video then got tired of all the
    failed automatic recordings because the connector came loose.

> [...]
    >> 4-digit numbers. They just start with 0. If you add another source
    >> device (real or fake), there will be some numbers of 1000 or greater.
    >> According to the sparse information given, the new device will use the
    >> 1xxx range.
    >>

    >> > Sorry to be a pain, hopefully we can figure this out.
    >> >

    >> Just try being careful and thinking about what you're doing and pay
    >> attention to what happens.
    >>
    >> >TB
    >> >

    >> --
    >> 34 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> has a Replay 5xxx
    >> http://go.to/notstupid
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>
    >> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:09:40 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >Use another input with standard cables instead of SVHS. There's almost
    >no difference in quality.

    Right. There isn't. There is more reliability with composite since the
    connectors fit more securely.

Ptv Replaytv Video RCA Cable