TI DLP Commercial . . . LD = 8-track tapes???

Anyone heard that DLP commercial on the radio?

www.dlp.com

It chronicles a suffering housewife whose husband collects
"eight-track tapes, floppy discs, and LASERDISCS". She describes him
as a "techno-idiot." She urges him to get a tv w/DLP. ("Don't be a
techno-idiot.")

In other words, laserdisc has finally reached the cultural equivalent
of eight-track. *sigggh* A little unfair, ain't it? OF COURSE LD is
outdated, but come on . . . . eight-track?

Laserdisc was never fully understood by the mainstream during its
heyday. . . .why should it be understood during its death? At least
we have consistency.
10 answers Last reply
More about dlp commercial track tapes

    >It chronicles a suffering housewife whose husband collects
    >"eight-track tapes, floppy discs, and LASERDISCS". She describes him
    >as a "techno-idiot." She urges him to get a tv w/DLP. ("Don't be a
    >techno-idiot.")

    Haven't heard it, but then again, I'm too busy listening to CDs having music I
    want to hear over unoriginal songs repeated over and over with commercial
    intervals longer than the music.

    Rather get a rear projection LCD than a DLP set, though. - Reinhart

    Care to state why?

    "LASERandDVDfan" <laseranddvdfan@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Rather get a rear projection LCD than a DLP set, though. - Reinhart

    >Care to state why?

    A liquid crystal display rear-projection is, IMO, simpler in execution over
    direct light projection. There are less things that can go wrong, like the
    color wheel and oscillating mirrors on a semiconductor although both display
    technologies use a projection bulb that can burn out and can cost $$$ to
    replace on the part alone.

    This is my opinion is if I were given a choice of only DLP or LCD, with
    absolutely no other choice.

    Overall, for my needs and requirements, a properly calibrated direct-view 16x9
    Trinitron CRT is superior over a direct-view plasma, direct-view LCD, and any
    and all projection systems.

    My media room is not large enough to warrant a projection display of any kind
    and I don't see the point in spending thousands more on a plasma display in
    places where a CRT display will fit the bill just fine.

    But, as I said, these are for what I feel are my requirements. Your milage may
    vary, depending on your unique needs. - Reinhart

    >A liquid crystal display rear-projection is, IMO, simpler in execution over
    >direct light projection

    Most of the LCD sets I've seen have had poor contrast (although this can be
    said of many DLP sets too) and issues with "blocking" in the picture. I find
    them to look artificial and un-impressive. However, I do not neccesarily prefer
    DLP and would probably choose a Pioneer Elite, Panasonic TAU or Fujitsu Plasma
    set if I was un-able to get a tube or CRT-lens driven RPTV.

    >Overall, for my needs and requirements, a properly calibrated direct-view
    >16x9
    >Trinitron CRT is superior over a direct-view plasma, direct-view LCD, and any
    >and all projection systems.

    I prefer tube sets to LCD, Plasma and DLP sets - hands down. Although a well
    calibrated widescreen CRT-lens driven RPTV can be fantastic. I personally
    prefer Mitsubishi Platinum Series and Pioneer Elite sets to other brands. I'm
    also very found of front projection systems but I still prefer the look of
    bulky and expensive CRT projectors to the DLP and LCD alternitives. I have been
    invited to a presentation on Thursday night which is the joint effort of Texas
    Instruments, Samsung and Pixar. They will be showing "The Incredibles" on a top
    of the line Samsung DLP projector driven by Texas Instruments new(ish) 3-chip
    system. If I go, I can report on what it was like, if anyone is interested.
    Steve Grauman

    >They will be showing "The Incredibles" on a top
    >of the line Samsung DLP projector driven by Texas Instruments new(ish) 3-chip
    >system. If I go, I can report on what it was like, if anyone is interested.

    Now that would be cool.

    The chance to see a movie that's out in theaters for free (although it's a
    Disney movie) to observe a demonstration of a company's latest and greatest
    offering of a new technology is something I wouldn't want to miss if I were
    invited.

    Definitely go and check it out! - Reinhart

    > The chance to see a movie that's out in theaters for free (although
    > it's a
    > Disney movie)

    It's a Pixar movie distributed by Disney. There's a significant
    difference.

    >It's a Pixar movie distributed by Disney. There's a significant
    >difference.

    But Disney probably would never have touched it if it were a more serious film.
    - Reinhart

    >Now that would be cool.

    I think it would be, the projector in question is apparently many thousands of
    dollars, much more expensive than Samsung's normal units. However,
    unfortunately, the timing of the showing interferes with another cinematic
    exposition that I simply cannot (and would not) miss. If anybody lives in the
    Los Angeles area and would like my invitation, free of charge, I could arrange
    a delivery.
    Steve Grauman

    >If anybody lives in the
    >Los Angeles area and would like my invitation, free of charge, I could
    >arrange
    >a delivery.
    >Steve Grauman

    I wish I were, but alas, I live in the east coast on Florida.

    The place where we launched space shuttles up until the Columbia episode
    brought about a hiatus and also had its ass kicked by three hurricanes. -
    Reinhart

    >I wish I were, but alas, I live in the east coast on Florida.

    I got the pass for the showing through work. The Samsung rep came to setup a
    new DLP display and gave some of us passes to the show. A couple of my
    co-workers went and said it was pretty amazing. However, I find it interesting
    that they choose to use "The Incredibles" as their demo material because it's
    entirely CGI and probably works well with DLP. I find that material shot on
    35mm film losses something when it's viewed using DLP, LCD or Plasma
    technology. I also have some small issues with the way most DLP and LCD display
    devices work, they always seem to add artifical noise or other undesireable
    artifacts into the picture. I've seen Runco's top-spec DLP projector and was
    impressed, but I still prefer the 3-CRT arrangment, especially Runco's unit
    with the 9" lenses.
    Steve Grauman

Laser Disc Players