4k monitor goes black for 2-3 secounds randomly

StonesOwnes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
So yeh, i got an new 4k monitor fom asus, the asus pb287, and after using it for 2-3 min, it turned it selv off and on. i didn`t this it was a problem until it happend again. Now its happens randomly. it goes black and after 2-3 sec it goes on. This is weary enoying when gaming. It seems that this only happens when the monitor is at 60hz.

Pc specs: AMD FX-8350 8-Core Processor
Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB
1600MHz
WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Corsair RM850, 850W PSU
Sapphire Radeon R9 290X x2

Sorry for bad english

Solution

HDMI 1.4 (which is the input port on this monitor) can't do 4k at 60hertz. My guess is he is having this problem over DisplayPort which does have a locking mechanism. As I am waiting to get out of work, I am getting more and more confident that the issue is the actual DisplayPort cable itself. I'm anxious to get home and try out a new cable. I've heard that swapping the cable solves a lot of various DisplayPort issues like black screens or flickering. If it end's up solving my problem then hopefully it will solve...

colhoop

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
I am having literally the same exact problem as you with this monitor. I just got my asus pb287q yesterday and right out of the box it started going black for a couple seconds then coming back on when only set to 60hertz. I have a couple possible solutions for you that I am also trying.

- Try a different DisplayPort 1.2 cable. (I haven't tested this yet because I'm waiting for a new one to come in the mail). I'm thinking that its possible this may be caused by a faulty DisplayPort cable.

- Check your overclock settings. If you overclocked your graphics card on a different monitor it might be a good idea to reset them and start the overclocking process again on this new monitor. (I also haven't tried this yet because I thought of it while at work. I will try when I get home from work today and let you know.)

- Make sure you are using the power cable that came with the monitor. (At first I was using a different power cable. But when I switched it out for the one that came with the monitor I get this problem less often now. It used to go black frequently for me and now I can get through levels in games and stuff without it going black after switching the power cord out for the one that came with the monitor)

- Try making sure you have the most recent display and graphics drivers. If you do, try uninstalling and re-installing them.

I'm hoping that trying a new DisplayPort cable will resolve the issue. I talked to a guy with asus support about this and he said he has never had a customer with this problem before. Leads me to believe its not common with the monitor and might in fact just be a problem with the cable (fingers crossed). I am trying out a new cable today after work or possibly tomorrow if my package comes tomorrow instead of today. I will let you know what my results are. I will also try removing my overclock on my radeon r9 290x card (unlike you I only have one 290x which leads me to believe, if our problems are the same, it doesnt have to do with crossfire). It could be that this is a result from the card throttling or something.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any new info on this problem too because again, I am also having this problem so any input would be great for both of us! Thanks

colhoop

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

If his problem is like the one that I am also seeing on the same monitor, then I don't think it is a power disconnecting problem. Because when it happens to me, the screen goes black but I still see the power light on the entire time that the screen is black. It doesn't appear that the monitor is shutting off completely and then coming back on. Cause if it was I would also be seeing a boot screen since this monitor has its own boot screen when turning on.

colhoop

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

HDMI 1.4 (which is the input port on this monitor) can't do 4k at 60hertz. My guess is he is having this problem over DisplayPort which does have a locking mechanism. As I am waiting to get out of work, I am getting more and more confident that the issue is the actual DisplayPort cable itself. I'm anxious to get home and try out a new cable. I've heard that swapping the cable solves a lot of various DisplayPort issues like black screens or flickering. If it end's up solving my problem then hopefully it will solve StonesOwnes' problem as well.

Also I might want to add that this monitor has a 3-year warranty. I opened a ticket about this issue with mine with asus and if the problem isn't resolved I will probably see if they can't take it back for a refund or replace it for me.

Solution

Galactic_1

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
Hey I just had the same problem and I solved it!!!! It was not the driver or any cable replacment! All I had to do is put the cable on the center beam that holds the monitor! My issue was that the cable was not stable in the socket and it didn't matter if it was one cable or other, the cable clip weight actually pulls it down even further so eliminate that and your problem is solved!! Have good day!!!

Sean_64

Commendable
May 25, 2016
I was dealing with this issue for months, switching cables, drivers was even about to sell my acer 4k curved monitor. Partly the driver has to do with this and they drivers are getting better for AMD/Nvidia , but i think the solution is hiding in your Monitors OSD menu the entire time. After trying all the methods from internet switching my mode from DP1.2 to DP 1.1 in the monitor setting fully solved it for me. Its been a week since i switched it and not 1 black screen, i don't even get screen flickering anymore. Great thing is switching this does not affect any graphics or refresh issue, im still at a solid 75hz on my 4k monitor using crimson 15.2.1 driver and using a DP 1.2 cable (that came with monitor). So try doing this and let me know if you have success. Im positive it will work as i was on the same boat as alot of you here but this one DID IT. Good luck and keep me posted.

mr_cheeks

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

Ok, i've been having this problem for months, different cables etc... i've changed the mode to from DP1.2 to DP1.1, fingers crossed it works. I'll report back

Jun 22, 2020
I came here with an Acer B286HK which does the same thing. Switching the monitor to DP1.1 fixes it, but by reducing the frame rate from 60->30Hz - I can tell from the pointer jerkiness and the monitor's report of the frequenzy, but Windows itself was still convinced it was sending 60Hz (from the Display Properties).

I'm using a Dell XPS 9350 as the source, for what it's worth, and I've tried more than one cable.