activating the commercial skip etc. on the 55XX replay units

At one of the web sites that I have visited lately, I saw a statement
that the "later" 55XX replay units cannot "easily" be reprogrammed to
give the features that the 50XX series had, but earlier production units
could be. Did they change the hardware, or did the lawyers screw things
up for everybody like they normally do???
Any helpful suggestions on how to retro a 5500 unit??

Jeff
12 answers Last reply
More about activating commercial skip 55xx replay units

    Jeff O'Malley wrote:
    > At one of the web sites that I have visited lately, I saw a
    > statement that the "later" 55XX replay units cannot "easily" be
    > reprogrammed to give the features that the 50XX series had, but earlier
    > production units could be. Did they change the hardware, or did the
    > lawyers screw things up for everybody like they normally do???
    > Any helpful suggestions on how to retro a 5500 unit??
    >
    > Jeff

    CA and IVS cannot be easily turned on on ANY 55XX. The software checks
    the model and resets the registry entries that previously easily allowed
    these changes.

    ReplayTV a few months ago decided to make it more difficult to mod the
    5500 series by updating their OS software. Essentially it cannot be
    done now without jumping through a bunch of fire hoops. Too much
    trouble for most people. It was sweet while it lasted.

    Jeff O'Malley wrote:

    > At one of the web sites that I have visited lately, I saw a
    > statement that the "later" 55XX replay units cannot "easily" be
    > reprogrammed to give the features that the 50XX series had, but earlier
    > production units could be. Did they change the hardware, or did the
    > lawyers screw things up for everybody like they normally do???
    > Any helpful suggestions on how to retro a 5500 unit??
    >
    > Jeff

    From what I read you can program 55xx machines to do 50xx like stuff

    The procedure is easy or hard depending on your internet/windows expierence.

    Basically you set up a server on your computer, you load a file onto it,
    you then cause the router to think that the replay update site is your
    computer. your replay downloads the "update" from your system and now
    thinks it's a 5000, yor then re-set the router so it sends the replay
    to the proper site... THis works till they update your machine again

    Note... I don't know how to do the re-direct steps or how to set up my
    computer to act like the replay update site

    John in Detroit wrote:

    > Note... I don't know how to do the re-direct steps or how to set up my
    > computer to act like the replay update site

    Setup WiRNS on your computer to act as the RTV server's proxy (where all
    the "magical" plugins take care of you), and set your ReplayTV's IP
    config manually to use your computer's ip as the DNS (no router trickery
    involved)

    Arcade Freaque wrote:

    > John in Detroit wrote:
    >

    >> Note... I don't know how to do the re-direct steps or how to set up my
    >> computer to act like the replay update site
    >

    > Setup WiRNS on your computer to act as the RTV server's proxy (where all
    > the "magical" plugins take care of you), and set your ReplayTV's IP
    > config manually to use your computer's ip as the DNS (no router trickery
    > involved)

    yup, if I knew how to do that it would be easy...

    But like I said, I don't, and to be honest, I don't want to either

    I'm thinking it will be easier to set up DVArchive on a Linux box and
    then point it to a well chosen folder for storage.

    That same folder will be the "root" folder for an FTP server

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:06:22 GMT, John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote
    >yup, if I knew how to do that it would be easy...
    >
    >But like I said, I don't, and to be honest, I don't want to either
    >
    >I'm thinking it will be easier to set up DVArchive on a Linux box and
    >then point it to a well chosen folder for storage.
    >
    >That same folder will be the "root" folder for an FTP server

    I heard there is a place to freely download the TV schedules for the DVArchive
    server... do you know where? Thanx.

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:06:22 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Arcade Freaque wrote:
    >

    >> John in Detroit wrote:
    >>

    >>> Note... I don't know how to do the re-direct steps or how to set up my
    >>> computer to act like the replay update site
    >>

    >> Setup WiRNS on your computer to act as the RTV server's proxy (where all
    >> the "magical" plugins take care of you), and set your ReplayTV's IP
    >> config manually to use your computer's ip as the DNS (no router trickery
    >> involved)
    >>
    >yup, if I knew how to do that it would be easy...
    >
    >But like I said, I don't, and to be honest, I don't want to either
    >
    >I'm thinking it will be easier to set up DVArchive on a Linux box and
    >then point it to a well chosen folder for storage.
    >
    >That same folder will be the "root" folder for an FTP server

    I haven't tried that (I have had a FTP server before, but not from the
    directory DVA uses). When setting up the FTP server, be sure that IS
    the root. Apparently, a low of people with FTP servers (or
    peer-to-peer) end up sharing more than they meant to.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:16:15 -0600, Boll Weevil
    <washerdryer@maytag.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:06:22 GMT, John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote
    >>yup, if I knew how to do that it would be easy...
    >>
    >>But like I said, I don't, and to be honest, I don't want to either
    >>
    >>I'm thinking it will be easier to set up DVArchive on a Linux box and
    >>then point it to a well chosen folder for storage.
    >>
    >>That same folder will be the "root" folder for an FTP server
    >
    >I heard there is a place to freely download the TV schedules for the DVArchive
    >server... do you know where? Thanx.

    DVA seems to get the schedule from the same place as the Replays
    themselves (which helps explain why you can't use the TV guide feature
    of DVA without at least one Replay present).

    Supposedly, these guides come from the same place as
    http://www.zap2it.com/ . You could try there. Like Replay or DVA, you
    enter the ZIP code and select a provider. That's what I did before
    getting DVA to work.

    == a little bit OT ==

    The DVA guide is not always the same as the Replay guide. If your
    system has channel numbers > 999, the Replay will map them to 3-digit
    ones. DVA will not, and still uses the 4-digit numbers. It would work
    better if they did the same, but they don't.

    == even more OT ==

    ZIP (in addresses) stands for "Zone Improvement Program". ZIP is
    replacement for the old zones used in big cities, where you'd have
    things like "Chicago 3, Illinois".

    Boll Weevil wrote:

    > I heard there is a place to freely download the TV schedules for the DVArchive
    > server... do you know where? Thanx.

    There are a bunch of them. However DVArchive should come already set up
    to do that when you tell it to.

    You can use the GemStar site as well, or Zap2It My other digital video
    recorder uses Gem Star (it's a ATI-TVwonder card in //main
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > The DVA guide is not always the same as the Replay guide. If your
    > system has channel numbers > 999, the Replay will map them to 3-digit
    > ones. DVA will not, and still uses the 4-digit numbers. It would work
    > better if they did the same, but they don't.

    I've updated the TV Listings when I was not at home using DVA, so either
    DVA "Remembered" my Replay or it does not need it. Don't know which
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > I haven't tried that (I have had a FTP server before, but not from the
    > directory DVA uses). When setting up the FTP server, be sure that IS
    > the root. Apparently, a low of people with FTP servers (or
    > peer-to-peer) end up sharing more than they meant to.

    Oh yes... I tend to be more than a bit paranoid when I'm working around
    networks and the internet.

    However in this case when I get it the way I want it

    1: It will very deffently be the root
    2: It will be the only thing of "interest" on the machine

    Long term plan is to put the Replay, and likely an ATI-video card, in my
    daughter's house (Cable vision equiped) hit the road with a sat-internet
    connection and download shows from the Linux box via FTP. Use the
    remote web based set up for the Replay itself and her high speed network
    connnection to stream, "Standard" quality is workable if I've read the
    specs right
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:29:01 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >

    >> The DVA guide is not always the same as the Replay guide. If your
    >> system has channel numbers > 999, the Replay will map them to 3-digit
    >> ones. DVA will not, and still uses the 4-digit numbers. It would work
    >> better if they did the same, but they don't.
    >
    >I've updated the TV Listings when I was not at home using DVA, so either
    >DVA "Remembered" my Replay or it does not need it. Don't know which

    I just tried that and found that it would. Looks like the Replay is
    required only the first time.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com